Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

The Perfect Element posted:

I remember there was an episode in the last series where in the entire half hour, I think they included one contribution from Merton, and it was just him commenting on someone else's joke.

It's a little similar to how Alan Davies got on QI, as well, where it did seem to just be a matter of picking up a paycheck and coasting.

Alan Davies's job on QI is to keep it moving and give an answer if the other 3 contestants don't want to look foolish by having an obvious guess/can't come up with a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Wafflecop posted:

I love David Mitchell as much as the next person but on WILTY he generally just does his incredulous-questioning schtick, it's Lee Mack's jibes and quips that elevate the *shudder* banter (also Brydon to spur them both on). It's basically HIGNFY 2.0 in terms of its dynamic, best thing that ever happened to both shows was getting rid of Angus hah.

text posted:

Yeah the chemistry between the 3 is what makes the show, but Lee Mack is the key one out of the 3. I think you could replace Mitchell for another standard middle class/moany type and Rob Brydon with a slick/funny host, but I don't think you could quite replace Lee Mack on it.

I miss Angus on HIGNFY (I know he couldn't really continue, considering what happened), saw some from about a decade ago on Dave and it was so much better. Although I think a lot of this is down to Merton appearing to not really be trying anymore and it generally being a tired, repetitive format. Best thing would be for Boris to have lost the London Mayoral election and to have him as perma host(thus making the show funnier and removing him from politics altogether).

You're right, I was underappreciating Lee Mack in what I said. He's ace.

edit: I just really feel this strange fondness for David Mitchell. I don't know why.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

I've started to actively dislike Paul Merton in everything he's in, HIGNFY, Just a Minute etc. He just seems to be so smug and overtly self-assured that he's the funniest bastard in the room it really puts me off.

I agree with this completely. Whenever the host on HIGNFY tells a joke from the script, he either gives a little look of contempt as if to say, 'I didn't write that, therefore it is not funny, why are these people laughing?' or he gives a knowing little nod as if to say, 'yes, I could've written that' and it gets right on my nerves. That and his 'I studied woodwork you know, look at me now. I can quote Shakespeare, randomly, and for no reason. Can you?' is tiresome.

I'm old enough to remember his TV show, which was maybe the worst thing I've ever seen anyway. Something about dolphins going to buy a newspaper or something, and that was him at his prime, apparently. Hislop, on the other hand, seems to get better every year, or maybe that's just me getting older and finding myself agreeing with him more.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

tanglewood1420 posted:

Alice Cooper was great as the host on Buzzcocks. He was also one of the best castaways on Desert Island Discs in the last couple of years. He just comes across as a really nice guy who doesn't take anything seriously and has enough anecdotes to sink a battleship.

I've seen him pop up on all kinds of shows, from Buzzcocks to BBC Breakfast couch sessions, and he's always struck me as a really great guy who has managed to maintain a grasp on reality despite his rock god status. He's always incredibly respectful of the fans who made him a household name, but happy to rip the arse out of the fringe elements of his fandom.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I agree with this completely. Whenever the host on HIGNFY tells a joke from the script, he either gives a little look of contempt as if to say, 'I didn't write that, therefore it is not funny, why are these people laughing?' or he gives a knowing little nod as if to say, 'yes, I could've written that' and it gets right on my nerves. That and his 'I studied woodwork you know, look at me now. I can quote Shakespeare, randomly, and for no reason. Can you?' is tiresome.

I'm old enough to remember his TV show, which was maybe the worst thing I've ever seen anyway. Something about dolphins going to buy a newspaper or something, and that was him at his prime, apparently. Hislop, on the other hand, seems to get better every year, or maybe that's just me getting older and finding myself agreeing with him more.

This is the best thing Paul Merton's ever done and it never actually happened.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Merton would be forgiven for everything if even three lines of that had actually taken place. (I'm taking you at your word now, Z-Magic, that it didn't happen; I want it to have happened, more than maybe anything else ever.)

Kraxis
May 14, 2007

Padje posted:

Alan Davies's job on QI is to keep it moving and give an answer if the other 3 contestants don't want to look foolish by having an obvious guess/can't come up with a joke.

Having seen interviews with him, there was a time where he didn't really get that and started taking offense at how the programme made him look loads stupider than he is and made Stephen Fry look like some kind of knowledge god. When he was obviously being set up to fail and Fry has elves telling him stuff in his ear.

After a few seasons he got the hang of it, realised it was an easy paycheck and having a laugh with it is loads more fun than taking it too seriously.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I do miss the old belly shaking lasting for a over a minute laughs HIGNFY used to gave me instead of the odd chuckle and wry cynical smile now.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Documentary on the women of the Restoration period is on right now on BBC4, it's quite delightful. I might have a bit of a girlcrush on Dr Lucy Womsley too. She's just so very jolly hockeysticks, like a prefect out of an Enid Blyton novel.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Irisi posted:

Documentary on the women of the Restoration period is on right now on BBC4, it's quite delightful. I might have a bit of a girlcrush on Dr Lucy Womsley too. She's just so very jolly hockeysticks, like a prefect out of an Enid Blyton novel.

She is absolutely delightful, isn't she? Have you seen her other shows?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

thehustler posted:

She is absolutely delightful, isn't she? Have you seen her other shows?

"If Walls Could Talk", the one about the history of the rooms of the house was super. I'm very fond of shows/books showing you how the normal folk lived throughout history. It's nice to see what the average Tudor housewife was up to while Henry VIII was lopping folks heads off, and she makes it all jolly interesting. Plus, she likes to dress up in the clothes of the period and yomp about the garden, which is exactly what I'd do if I were the host of a history show.

Would like to see her meet up with Giles Coren and Sue Perkins if they ever decided to do more of that Supersizers Eat food history programme from a few years back. Bet she'd keep them in line.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Irisi posted:

Plus, she likes to dress up in the clothes of the period and yomp about the garden, which is exactly what I'd do if I were the host of a history show.

Lets be honest, we'd all do that if we could.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

Haha, that's fantastic.

I really liked Paul Merton's old sketch show. Rewatched it recently and it was still very funny.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Some bits are dated yeah, but is still quite good. All archived on 4oD Comedy right now.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Irisi posted:

Plus, she likes to dress up in the clothes of the period and yomp about the garden, which is exactly what I'd do if I were the host of a history show.

Which is great for the more... err... boobalicious costumes of days gone by.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Is it just me, or is the acting in Silk absolutely hilariously bad?

edit: or is it just the awful dialogue? I swear if they say the word "silk" one more time I'm going to send a box of red pens to the production company.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 23, 2012

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
While sadly the Merton/Saville story isn't true, the allegations against Saville allegedly had some truth to them. Much more on it here.

http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/bbc_faces_serious_questions_over_sir_jimmy_savile_under_age_sex_allegations

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Should be a good HIGNFY tonight, William Shatner hosts, with Charlie Brooker and the ever reliable Andy Hamilton as guest. Charlie Brooker will also be on the next Richard Herring podcast as well. He also said:

quote:

Assuming it makes the edit, there's a bit in tonight's HIGNFY where William Shatner does the Sex Pistols.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

While sadly the Merton/Saville story isn't true, the allegations against Saville allegedly had some truth to them. Much more on it here.

http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/bbc_faces_serious_questions_over_sir_jimmy_savile_under_age_sex_allegations

In the mid-nineties, I worked at Leeds General Infirmary, and Saville used to prance about in his shell suit every once in a while annoying cheering up the old, ill folk. The oldies loved him. The staff, however, did not. The talk about Saville being a paedophile was rife, and whether it was true or not, the man was definitely creepy. He was never allowed near the kids' wards unsupervised, put it that way.

He once took his bracelet off and put it in my hand. This thing was horribly naff, but obviously expensive. He told me it cost a quarter of a million quid (it was heavy, obviously good quality gold, with what he said were one carat diamonds - either twelve or twenty four of them, I forget now - set on the face). He said there were two in the world; his, and Mike Tyson's. He spent an hour or so telling us about it, and when he mentioned that kids in particular seemed to be fascinated by it, everyone in the room went cold. True story.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I guess that was the final episode of the series for Grandma's House then? thetvdb.com only lists it as a 6 episode season again, and it felt like there was some closure.

Pretty much one of about 5 comedies I like that we produce these days, hope it comes back again next year.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Should be a good HIGNFY tonight, William Shatner hosts, with Charlie Brooker and the ever reliable Andy Hamilton as guest. Charlie Brooker will also be on the next Richard Herring podcast as well. He also said:

Ooooh, thanks for the heads up. I'll watch this live if I can.

Also, didn't Louis Theroux do an interview with said deceased creep?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Washing his pants in the sink.

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee
He did, it was When Louis Met Jimmy.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I love how basically everyone from Leeds has a story about Jimmy Savile loving dead people or 13 year old girls.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

Is it just me, or is the acting in Silk absolutely hilariously bad?

edit: or is it just the awful dialogue? I swear if they say the word "silk" one more time I'm going to send a box of red pens to the production company.

Yeah the whole thing is a huge pile of poo poo. It's full of glaring legal errors (more than all the other legal TV shows) and yes the dialogue really is awful. It's still enjoyable, brainless TV though but it is really bad.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

osici posted:

He did, it was When Louis Met Jimmy.
I finished watching this a little while ago and enjoyed it, the Anne Widdecombe one wasn't as good but I sort of felt bad for Chris Eubank in his episode, I can't help but feel Louis was doing what he could to make Eubank look bad.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Just a reminder, 20 mins until who is possibly the worlds most fascinating/arrogent human being hosts hignfy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfDHIqmUUMs

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
HIGNFY with Shatner, Brooker and Andy thingamy sounds absolutely brilliant to me!

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Shatner is a terrible presenter.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Noreaus posted:

Shatner is a terrible presenter.
But in a wonderful way.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Shatner is currently singing. This is the best and worst HIGNFY since Brian Blessed.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The Supreme Court posted:

Shatner is currently singing.
You use that term very loosely.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I didn't read the local news, glad the arrival with the Torch in Cornwall had those oddities though.

Somebody needs to make a gif of that helicopter spraying the crowd at Truro too.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
Biggest studio laugh on HIGNFY this evening was when they showed a couple of John Terry photoshops they found on the Internet, probably pinched from b3ta or somewhere without acknowledgement. Combined with Shatner doing a few lame renditions of pop melodies, it really just seemed like they were taking some internet memes and making them into a show.

I have twitter already, so tuning in to see a bunch of jokes I'd heard 3-4 days ago isn't appealing.

Would I Lie To You? before it was great as always, although it was harshly edited. During the "I know this person because x" round they edited it to the extent that the opposing team never even questioned Josie Lawrence's story. I'd love if it the BBC could put up full studio recordings of all these shows. They did it once during that David Walliams <topic> Relief 24-hour thing and it worked well.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Would I Lie To You? before it was great as always, although it was harshly edited. During the "I know this person because x" round they edited it to the extent that the opposing team never even questioned Josie Lawrence's story. I'd love if it the BBC could put up full studio recordings of all these shows. They did it once during that David Walliams <topic> Relief 24-hour thing and it worked well.

Apparently she used that round as a platform for some pretty out there views on racial realism so lots of her segments had to be edited for those reasons rather than time constraints.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

dos4gw posted:

Apparently she used that round as a platform for some pretty out there views on racial realism so lots of her segments had to be edited for those reasons rather than time constraints.

Really?

Any idea what she was said, or have sources?

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

dos4gw posted:

What? But wasn't her story just about giving up smoking?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

The pHo posted:

I guess that was the final episode of the series for Grandma's House then? thetvdb.com only lists it as a 6 episode season again, and it felt like there was some closure.

Pretty much one of about 5 comedies I like that we produce these days, hope it comes back again next year.
think I heard that Simon Amstell doesn't want to make another series, which is understandable really considering how close it is to his real life and how uncomfortable he appears to be with acting

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Paperhouse posted:

think I heard that Simon Amstell doesn't want to make another series, which is understandable really considering how close it is to his real life and how uncomfortable he appears to be with acting

So that's two shows in a row he's bailed on when he realises he's the least funny thing in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

HauntedRobot posted:

So that's two shows in a row he's bailed on when he realises he's the least funny thing in them.
You know he created and writes the show, right? How could he possibly be the "least funny thing in [it]" when it's his show?