Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I work at a major software company in the US. The last two weeks I have seen several resumes for a position we're hiring for, and I've personally interviewed five candidates.

Of the small subset we invited in for interviews, I saw one one-page resume, a couple two-page resumes, and a couple that were longer.

I found the one-pager to be overly concise (to the point that the candidate left off important details, like the focus of their degree (it just said BA, such-and-such university), while one of the two longer resumes had too much and another was OK.

There may be a soft "standard", but I think it still varies across industries and even within an industry, I think few hiring managers would reject a candidate explicitly and solely due to resume length.

Of much more importance is whether everything on the resume is relevant, has a reasonable but not overwhelming amount of detail, highlights only significant accomplishments, uses correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling, and demonstrates care and attention to detail.

Having just those things I listed puts your resume into the top 10% of what we get. It is amazing how many resumes for professional writing jobs are chock full of grammatical errors, careless inconsistencies, and even outright spelling errors.

The number of pages is mostly a red herring and you guys should stop harping about it. Focus on content, presentation, accuracy, concision, and appropriateness and that will get you 90% there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

ufsteph posted:

I grew up in America, but live in the UK and have worked in an international industry for more than 8 years. In my industry one page is standard.

Then again, you know everything and have declared me wrong, so there we are.
Two pages + cover letter is the standard here in Australia - some industries might want one but they'd be the exception and I've not heard of any :ssh:

Edit: the above is right - the number of pages argument is really just a byproduct of the level of brevity that should be aimed for, assuming you have normal levels of experience/info that you should include.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

One thing to consider is that there is a functional difference between a CV (Curriculum Vitae) and a resume.

A resume should be 1-2 pages TOTAL for most people, focusing on highlights, specific achievements, and should be easily read as it is structured towards brevity. For technical people, or for people with 15-20 years+ on their resume, more than 2 pages is acceptable and even expected; for most, 2 pages should more than suffice as long as most time during your career is accounted for.

A CV is supposed to be an exhaustive list of accomplishments; these are more common in academic circles, but a lot of countries other than America expect to see something closer to a CV than a resume when making initial decisions to interview.

Things you would include on a CV but not necessarily on a resume might be:

ALL positions ever held during a professional career, no matter if honorary or appointed, also not disregarding positions of minor or inconsequential duration.

A full and complete list of published writings; a resume would include highlights, a CV should show everything you've ever written that's been published.

A distinct section for volunteer/self improvement type work (think continuing education), to demonstrate ongoing personal growth and enrichment.

That's not all inclusive, I just wanted to highlight a few differences.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

The number of pages is mostly a red herring and you guys should stop harping about it. Focus on content, presentation, accuracy, concision, and appropriateness and that will get you 90% there.

This, pretty much. I honestly do not care if it's 1 or 2 pages even though the suggested guideline is 2 pages. All I care about is presentation, visibility, and content.

Would be nice if they had cover letter because to see people beg for jobs is kind of amusing. I haven't looked at Tuyop's resume yet (no offense! I'm in the process of hiring for a position) so I can't comment on it yet.

TL;DR: The number of pages is not a hard and fast rule. Just make it impressive and geared towards the employer.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Leperflesh posted:

I work at a major software company in the US. The last two weeks I have seen several resumes for a position we're hiring for, and I've personally interviewed five candidates.

Of the small subset we invited in for interviews, I saw one one-page resume, a couple two-page resumes, and a couple that were longer.

I found the one-pager to be overly concise (to the point that the candidate left off important details, like the focus of their degree (it just said BA, such-and-such university), while one of the two longer resumes had too much and another was OK.

There may be a soft "standard", but I think it still varies across industries and even within an industry, I think few hiring managers would reject a candidate explicitly and solely due to resume length.

Of much more importance is whether everything on the resume is relevant, has a reasonable but not overwhelming amount of detail, highlights only significant accomplishments, uses correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling, and demonstrates care and attention to detail.

Having just those things I listed puts your resume into the top 10% of what we get. It is amazing how many resumes for professional writing jobs are chock full of grammatical errors, careless inconsistencies, and even outright spelling errors.

A resume has never been not read for being too short. Most 2+ page resumes don't get read completely.

Take that as you will.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Oh my god shut the gently caress up about resumes aghhhhhhhh

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Astonishing Wang posted:

Oh my god shut the gently caress up about resumes aghhhhhhhh

Tuyop is Canadian see, so the resume derail has to extend to at least 2 pages

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Giant Isopod posted:

Tuyop is Canadian see, so the resume derail has to extend to at least 2 pages

:v:

Speaking as a hiring manager in Northern Mongolia I find that all resumes must be at least two hoofwidths by four hoofwidths on the finest scraped skin. Anything less is insulting to me and my clan and results in beheadings.

I hope this helps with your Canadian resume adventures.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
In my industry, the resume acts as a cover letter to get the recruiter/hiring manager to look at the portfolio. So ipso facto lorem ipsum, by the transitive property of BFC, I hope you've got your portfolio up to date, tuyop!

Also, do you remember this?

tuyop, less than 10 months ago posted:

Alright, so guys. Is the only way to develop some sort of minimal security to sell everything I own and start saving to sell the car? I don't get it. I'm going to have a fairly large (for me) balance in my chequing and savings accounts by the end of August.

I'm not exposed to very much risk. If any of these things happen I can cut spending on my debt and rebuild the balance:

If the car gets broken into I'll have the balance to pay for the glass damage.

If the car gets stolen, good. Insurance will pay off and I'll have less debt and buy a lovely beater.

Flat tire? I have road hazard on my tires.

If the apartment gets broken into? I have a computer and (sometimes) a camera in here. Neither of which would be replaced. For this reason I have no renter's insurance.

All of the big-ticket gear like packs and stuff that I need are military anyway, if they break, they replace them for free. The worse that could happen is I lose some fancy piece of kit like night vision goggles and they garnish my pay. I don't lose poo poo though.

Medical bills are 100% taken care of. I have full dental, vision, physio, massage, drug plan, everything that you can possibly think of. I might buy some new contacts in a couple of months. That's $180 dollars. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

My girlfriend is just that, a girlfriend with her own groceries and finances, until February when we're common-law and she's in the military and has the same medical care as me.

My contract with the military is on until 2023. They literally can't fire me until then unless I murder someone or something. My job is very secure.

:toot:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah, well I guess there's no accounting for stupidity. :)

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

tuyop posted:

This would make a pretty good thread title

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Giant Isopod posted:

This would make a pretty good thread title
I'd say rename BFC to Accounting for Stupidity, FYAD style.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

tuyop posted:

It's called Emergency Fund.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

tuyop posted:

The thing is, we tried to account for your stupidity but you wouldn't let us.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have an appointment on June 4th to go on permanent medical category and eventually get medically released. I'll know more then.

I also meant to review my policy when I was doing up the insurance this week, but I was really busy and just kind of signed it. I'll look at it on Monday and see if I'm over insured.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have a confession to make, I've been avoiding the forums for days because I feel bad. I went on another vacation, without saving up or really planning at all. It was like 750 dollars too. I met my girlfriend in Ontario and we went down to DC and explored West Virginia a little and then ended up in Chicago. With more planning we would have been able to sleep in the back of the car and saved a ton of money, but we didn't. I also had to go on a business trip to Cape Breton, and I had to pay for all of my meals and stuff. It's all been claimed but that takes time to pay out.

In conclusion, I may have overspent this month by like 150 dollars. It's the first red month I've had in a year. :(

And I'm looking at my car insurance policy right now.

Vehicle is 2010 Mazda 3 sport GS/GT 2.5L
Premium: 2419

On my car I have third party liability, which means:

quote:

LEGAL LIABILITY FOR BODILY INJURY TO OR DEATH OF ANY PERSON OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY (EXCLUSIVE OF COSTS AND POST JUDGEMENT INTEREST) FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE RESULTING FROM BODILY INJURY TO OR THE DEATH OF ONE OR MORE PERSONS AND FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY REGARDLESS OF THE NUMBER OF CLAIMS ARISING FROM ANY ONE ACCIDENT.

Equaling $1 000 000.

With a $1000 deductible for "collision or upset" and "Comprehensive (excluding collision or upset)".

I think the way it breaks down is, I pay:

538 for my million in personal liability
217 for property damage coverage
235 for individual accident benefit assurance
898 for collision
501 for comprehensive
30 as a vehicle fee
for a total of 2419

I don't think there's any way to reduce it, because I asked if it was possible to save any money at all, and they said no. It may be high because I'm a "risky driver" or whatever.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

It may be high because I'm a "risky driver" or whatever.

Why would anyone think that?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

I have a confession to make, I've been avoiding the forums for days because I feel bad. I went on another vacation, without saving up or really planning at all.

Stop doing this! Stop it! If you want to waste $750 so bad, throw it in a charity box or something! Or the facebook stock! No more vacations! Stop it!

What are you going to do if your girlfriend gets deployed or something? What about if they send her overseas for 6 months for some military exchange thing? I don't think I've ever really seen you talk about her being gone for you know, 6 months to a year or more at once. Do you guys have a game plan for that? Because you might be surprised how this works out financially. Depression/Sad=Spending. And you.. you just. You don't spend lightly.

quote:

And I'm looking at my car insurance policy right now.

Vehicle is 2010 Mazda 3 sport GS/GT 2.5L
Premium: 2419

On my car I have third party liability, which means:

Equaling $1 000 000.

With a $1000 deductible for "collision or upset" and "Comprehensive (excluding collision or upset)".

I think the way it breaks down is, I pay:

538 for my million in personal liability
217 for property damage coverage
235 for individual accident benefit assurance
898 for collision
501 for comprehensive
30 as a vehicle fee
for a total of 2419

I don't think there's any way to reduce it, because I asked if it was possible to save any money at all, and they said no. It may be high because I'm a "risky driver" or whatever.

It "may be" high. Dude, as much as I wanna see you on the right road to recovery, I wanna see you there as a pedestrian because I worry when you start talking about having keys in your hand. :ohdear:

My question is: Do you have $1000 for a deductible if you crashed your car literally right this second? It's already ungodly high. How much higher would it be if you lowered your deductible, anyway?

But yeah your insurance is high because your luck with cars is godawful poo poo.

E: VVVV I'm trying to be nice :(

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 25, 2012

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

But yeah your insurance is high because your luck with cars is godawful poo poo.

He doesn't have bad luck. He's an unsafe driver.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well I don't really feel like debating the safety of my driving or not. Either way I've had bad luck over the past 12 months with driving, which is also the period of time that I've kept this thread. Before August 2011, I hadn't had a ticket since 2008 (I've been driving since 2004). That ticket was loving bullshit and it only went through because I was 19 and didn't think I should fight authority. THAT'S why my insurance is high. I think bad drivers are those who hit other cars or don't pay attention or can't drive manual because they can't comprehend all of the moving parts of operating a vehicle, not people who get two tickets (one for "passing on the right", like what the gently caress) in a 12 month period. My driving has never hurt me or anyone else, so gently caress off.

I'd like to just let the whole thing reset and get rid of the car and the insurance, but I have to work in this horrible place and I don't know when I'll get out of here, and I can't sell the car without a substantial amount of money to pay off the balance of the loan. And yes I could pay the deductible, I have about 5400 dollars of credit and savings available.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Stop doing this! Stop it! If you want to waste $750 so bad, throw it in a charity box or something! Or the facebook stock! No more vacations! Stop it!

What are you going to do if your girlfriend gets deployed or something? What about if they send her overseas for 6 months for some military exchange thing? I don't think I've ever really seen you talk about her being gone for you know, 6 months to a year or more at once. Do you guys have a game plan for that? Because you might be surprised how this works out financially. Depression/Sad=Spending. And you.. you just. You don't spend lightly.

If she gets deployed I have a feeling I'll be seeing an interest-free loan in my future. :clint:

But seriously, I have a problem. I don't know how we'd cope with that. It's about 18 months away if it comes at all, because they don't deploy troops in training. What solutions would you suggest?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

tuyop posted:

What solutions would you suggest?

Therapy. You seem to have psychological issues. Knowing that doing something will be a really terrible idea, and then doing it anyway? Not normal adult behavior.

Also, passing on the right is dangerous that's why it's worthy of getting a ticket. Also tank roads. Also letting your car roll into a lake... yeah. You may be a badass manual-driving Car Hero but your record suggests you have a tendency to gently caress up and make careless errors.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

What solutions would you suggest?

Talk. Now. Bring it up literally the next time you talk to her. Because this is a very, very big problem and I'm glad you realize it is a problem but it is way bigger than you think it is and probably 75% of the reason military marriages/relationships fail OTHER than you know, people being literally the gently caress insane (please go read GIP's current posting party about former girlfriends and stuff for further information on that :stare: ). It is a really, really big thing. I can't possibly state that in a way that you can fully grasp until she is gone for an entire year and you have not seen her once, at all, and you've maybe been lucky enough to get a few emails and instant messages across back and forth.

Because bluntly, even if you two are devoted right now, a year or more apart and who knows what will happen. Even if you stay together, I could easily see you depress spending yourself into a hole you will drown in especially in your current state.

As far as direct advice, be tough as nails, never use the words 'I miss you' (because I guarantee that they are in a worse place than you are and she will want to be home way, way more), don't whine bitch or complain, deal with your poo poo and only call her into it unless it's necessary.. which doesn't mean don't include her, but if you have a flat tire and she's being shot at, well, y'know?, and get used to time apart. Get used to eating out alone, going to movies alone, enjoying yourself alone and it gets way, way easier. You're already kinda doing that, I think, but you just trotted off and spent $750 on a vacation because you wanted to see her and have fun with her. When she's a bazillion miles away, you can't just up and do that. And that's what will break your rear end if you don't talk about it now.

Well, that and the "Oh, the news is reporting that a bunch of people died at the base she's at? And I have go about my day like it's nothing?" mindfuck stuff. The bills still have to be paid even if you can't contact her and it's on the news that her base came under heavy fire or whatever the hell.

And I'm pretty sure you know some of this from being in the military yourself but.. well, you asked. v:shobon:v

Talk. Now.

E: And as far as the money goes, you need to find out if she'd be leaving you a POA, a SPOA, what her will looks like, how she'd want the money worked with, etc. Yeah, deployments pay out the rear end but she's probably not going to want to come home to a dime in the bank.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would also like to just go ahead and add that your girlfriend has read this thread, knows you're in a really deep financial hole, but apparently cooperated with your spur-of-the-moment blow $750 spending spree you cannot afford.

Why did she do this? Why didn't she say "Tuyop this sounds like fun but I know you can't afford it. Let's just spend time at home and do stuff that's free?" Is it because A) She doesn't give a poo poo about your ongoing financial crisis, B) you convinced her somehow that you can afford this (she's gullible), or C) she's an enabler who finds it just as easy as you do to ignore the future consequences of today's actions?

None of these options point to a healthy long-term relationship. This isn't E/N but I think you need to have a serious talk with your girlfriend about the future, about your own behavior, and about whether she can be a positive force in your life or a negative one.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

She may just not get just how much he's in over his head, either. It may not be negligence or not giving a poo poo, she may just not get it. Some people don't.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Also, passing on the right is dangerous that's why it's worthy of getting a ticket. Also tank roads. Also letting your car roll into a lake... yeah. You may be a badass manual-driving Car Hero but your record suggests you have a tendency to gently caress up and make careless errors.

Oh please, passing on the right is normal behavior on any road with more than two lanes in a highly populated area, such as the one I got the ticket on. It's also normal behavior where the left lane has been stopped due to construction and has to merge. You go on a 1-1 basis and pass on the right one at a time. This is what I got a ticket for.

Tank roads, please, they were all covered in snow equally. And it had a stop sign on it!

I was sixteen and left the e-brake off. In a grocery store parking lot I would have bumped into the bumper behind me, causing no damage and embarrassing myself in a minor way, two people have ended up on MY bumper that way. Instead it rolled backwards, down a hill, around a corner, around a telephone pole and a boulder to land in a lake. Yup. Still didn't hurt anyone.

I know lots of other people who have been in fender benders or major accidents due to their own negligence but didn't get tickets, but as soon as the cops catch you doing 60 in a 55 you're a loving raging speed demon and a public safety risk who should pay 2500 a year in insurance? It's loving bullshit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I am not suggesting you're a "loving raging speed demon", I'm pointing out that you - in terms of obeying the laws and not getting yourself into bad situations - are a higher-risk driver. "Risk" is based on outcomes, not some assessment of a driver's skill.

You belong to that class of people who actuaries have identified as being a higher risk. Insurance companies don't (and can't possibly afford to) make individualized, subjective judgements about how great or poor a given driver is. They instead (must) work from statistical data based on the inputs they have about the drivers. Your inputs are that you get tickets and have been in accidents and that means that you have to go into a higher-risk pool and pay more for insurance.

If you want to you can drive like Granny, never exceed any speed limit, never pass on the right even when "everyone else" is doing it, and so on. You may still have bad luck and I'm sorry if that's the case but there's nothing you can accomplish by getting upset about it.

But this:

tuyop posted:

I was sixteen and left the e-brake off. In a grocery store parking lot I would have bumped into the bumper behind me, causing no damage and embarrassing myself in a minor way, two people have ended up on MY bumper that way. Instead it rolled backwards, down a hill, around a corner, around a telephone pole and a boulder to land in a lake. Yup. Still didn't hurt anyone.

This quote suggests that you really are more dangerous. Not because you made that mistake (although it's telling), but because you're so dismissive of the severity of it. The fact nobody got hurt is down to luck; it does not suggest that this wasn't a terribly dangerous situation. Runaway cars can and do kill people. Leaving the parking brake off when parked on a slope is dangerous and (at least in my state) illegal.

But instead of posting something like "it was a sobering and shocking moment for me. I often think about how near I might have come to going to jail for manslaughter... not to mention the chances some kid got killed. It was a wake-up call and I'll never forget it. I've been fastidious about always putting on the parking brake and curbing my wheels ever since and it really bothers me when someone else doesn't."

Instead we get "in most cases it woulda been harmless and anyway nobody was hurt. Yup." Seems really dismissive and cavalier.

People who are dismissive and cavalier about automotive safety are, in my opinion, much more likely to be bad (dangerous) drivers. Can you see why I might think that of you?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Right, like I said, I guess I'm a dangerous driver who has never damaged another vehicle or hurt or inconvenienced or cost another person anything. Charge me 2500 a year!

Literally the only reason that my insurance is higher than the norm is because I got a ticket for "careless driving" when I was 19. I will now describe the circumstances of the ticket: I was driving my friend home one night in January. I took a corner going 35 in a 50. I was very familiar with that route and knew that I was going very slowly in accordance with the conditions. I hit some ice and lost traction, when I regained traction a few feet later my tires squealed on the road. There was nobody else driving on the road. There was a police car parked a few houses down the street and the cop saw me lose control. He flagged me down with a flashlight and told me that he didn't have my speed so he was "just going to give me a careless driving ticket. It's less than a speeding ticket so it's really no big deal." I didn't bother to inquire about it or fight it at all. I paid the 400 dollar fine a few weeks later. When I renewed my insurance five months later I found out that a careless driving conviction is the same as a drunk driving conviction without the criminal record, so for the next three years I couldn't afford car insurance. Now my insurance costs a ridiculous amount of money and everyone on the internet thinks that I kill babies with my car. I never claimed the lake incident so my insurance is not high because of that.

I'm defensive about this because you're mixing normative and substantive statements. From an insurance analyst's definition of risk, having the careless driving ticket makes me a high risk driver. Substantively I should pay that rate. Does having that ticket from five years ago make me a bad driver (a normative judgement), under the conditions that I received the ticket? I don't think so at all. If I had understood the consequences of the ticket and fought it at the time, I'm sure I wouldn't have been convicted and we wouldn't be having this discussion because my insurance would be normal.

Regarding the insurance, is there anything obvious that I can do to reduce my premiums that the insurance salesperson wouldn't have noticed?

\/\/\/ Ok cool. I live 30km from my work. Even with insurance and gas I save 200 a month vs. living on base and not driving, and I can visit my loved ones with a car. Any other suggestions?

tuyop fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 26, 2012

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Regarding the insurance, is there anything obvious that I can do to reduce my premiums that the insurance salesperson wouldn't have noticed?

Stop loving driving.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

The only thing I can think of would be raising your deductible sky high and then you'd be really hosed when/if you wreck this car. I'd not recommend it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
edit: don't want bannnn

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
oh good, they gassed the zaurg thread and this one started back up! It's not BFC without someone getting defensive about their poor decisions and blowing a bunch of money they don't have on things they don't need!

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Stop going on vacations, tuyop.

Get a bicycle. A pedal powered one.

quaint bucket fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 26, 2012

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Ignore the insurance for now. The insurance is a lot less important to Tuyop's financial health than his impulsive decisions on spending.

Tuyop - what were you thinking when you spent $750 on a trip that you had not budgeted or saved for?

I'm not being facetious. I want to know the exact thought process you went through. When you pulled out your wallet, was there any part of you that realized you shouldn't be spending hundreds of dollars you hadn't saved? Did you justify it by thinking about how much you wanted to see your girlfriend? Did you only have second thoughts after the fact, or while you were arranging things and you ignored them then?

I think, above all the budgetting issues (rent, job, insurance, etc.), that you will never get your financial house in order until finally you address your impulsive spending problem.

You don't lack knowledge - you know, rationally, that you need to budget for anything you spend on, especially things like vacations or other optional (and expensive) items. You've been told this over and over again, been shown the advice and templates, and after 30 pages and nearly a year seem to have agreed that you have to think long and hard before spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on non-vital expenses.

But you didn't! Again! Just like you used to before!

Why?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

You are institutionally incapable of making sound decisions or taking responsibility for your actions.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
He's 24 and has a seemingly perma-long distance girlfriend. If you've never spent money you didn't have to go do something with a girlfriend at that age, you haven't lived. Stop BFC'ing, BFC.

tuyop: the thing that's gonna make your life suck in the next few years isn't spending money on seeing her, it's quitting the military without a very well paying backup plan unless you get one Right Now.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I dunno, I think planning out this massive, potentially explosive, potentially very bad girlfriend situation (also if not planned out like, now) could also really gently caress him financially.

I totally agree he needs to get his job ducks in a row too, but you really can't undercut the girlfriend/random vacations/etc situation either.

Also I'm 25 and we don't do this kinda poo poo, "being 24" isn't much of an excuse. ...On that note, Tuyop, when do you turn 25? I know some insurance agencies lower rates some when you turn 25 in the states. It may be something to check in on up there too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I turn 25 next April, and that's also when my driver rating is supposed to go back to normal. It feels like they've been saying that for the past few years though.

Neophyte posted:

Ignore the insurance for now. The insurance is a lot less important to Tuyop's financial health than his impulsive decisions on spending.

Tuyop - what were you thinking when you spent $750 on a trip that you had not budgeted or saved for?

I'm not being facetious. I want to know the exact thought process you went through. When you pulled out your wallet, was there any part of you that realized you shouldn't be spending hundreds of dollars you hadn't saved? Did you justify it by thinking about how much you wanted to see your girlfriend? Did you only have second thoughts after the fact, or while you were arranging things and you ignored them then?

I think, above all the budgetting issues (rent, job, insurance, etc.), that you will never get your financial house in order until finally you address your impulsive spending problem.

You don't lack knowledge - you know, rationally, that you need to budget for anything you spend on, especially things like vacations or other optional (and expensive) items. You've been told this over and over again, been shown the advice and templates, and after 30 pages and nearly a year seem to have agreed that you have to think long and hard before spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on non-vital expenses.

But you didn't! Again! Just like you used to before!

Why?

Well, toeshoes and I both got backpaid for a raise from last year. Mine was about 700, hers was about 200. And I have a severance package coming in in the fall, which is a windfall of about 3500 after taxes.

Originally we were just going to hang around Ontario and try to make it as cheap as possible, then I discovered that This American Life was doing a show in Chicago, which is only a day's drive away from Toronto, so we bought some tickets for that. And since we were going to the US anyway, we thought we'd go to DC too and make a loop out of it. I felt like we could get away with spending just the windfall on the trip, and since it would be the last time we'd see each other all summer it's really not that much. I think I could have prevented this if I'd just destroyed my cards months ago, because I wouldn't have had the cash on hand to actually pay. I definitely have a problem. :(

Lots of rationalization, really. And the expense from the trip has been made worse by the business trip I took immediately after which the army hasn't paid me back for yet, and the three days I spent in Halifax visiting my parents over Victoria Day. So yeah, I've been really irresponsible this month.

The job thing has gotten a lot less urgent. I'm going on permanent medical category. Ottawa has to evaluate whether I can serve in some other capacity for a period of time, or whether I should be released with full benefits (two years 70% salary and unlimited reeducation, medical care forever), or be released with partial benefits (medical care forever and some variation of full benefits above). Going on permanent category also involves a terminal posting, I'll probably go be a company 2IC at a school in Borden, where the girlfriend is posted. I'll get all my furniture back as well, and all the travel claims and posting bonuses that go into that. Either way I won't be unemployed anytime soon, think like 12-18 months, with lots of notice and six months of retirement/reeducation leave. At my normal rate of savings and repayment and selling the car next April, I could probably end up out of the army with <25k debt and a BEd and Masters of Education.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

tuyop, how old is your car? If it's less than 5, your insurance is higher because of that. Otherwise, disregard this.

Stop taking vacations until you get your poo poo together. I rarely go on vacations because I know I don't have the funds ready for it and I save up for a longer period of time so I can take a nice relaxing vacation every now and then.

Is your attitude being influenced by the possibility of getting a sweet severance from the military because of the medical release?

If so, why are you expecting a windfall? Or are you always like this?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

tuyop posted:

The job thing has gotten a lot less urgent. I'm going on permanent medical category. Ottawa has to evaluate whether I can serve in some other capacity for a period of time, or whether I should be released with full benefits (two years 70% salary and unlimited reeducation, medical care forever), or be released with partial benefits (medical care forever and some variation of full benefits above). Going on permanent category also involves a terminal posting, I'll probably go be a company 2IC at a school in Borden, where the girlfriend is posted. I'll get all my furniture back as well, and all the travel claims and posting bonuses that go into that. Either way I won't be unemployed anytime soon, think like 12-18 months, with lots of notice and six months of retirement/reeducation leave. At my normal rate of savings and repayment and selling the car next April, I could probably end up out of the army with <25k debt and a BEd and Masters of Education.

Is toeshoes a military lifer, getting out when you are, or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

I felt like we could get away with spending just the windfall on the trip, and since it would be the last time we'd see each other all summer it's really not that much. I think I could have prevented this if I'd just destroyed my cards months ago, because I wouldn't have had the cash on hand to actually pay. I definitely have a problem. :(

If she's getting sent away for a year are you going to go blow $5k on a vacation for a couple of weeks running around and doing stuff? I'm glad you say you have a problem, but I really don't know if you still really get just how bad of a problem you have.

This is not a windfall in comparison to how deep you're in dude. You realize that that money, at your current insurance level, would not even pay for your insurance for 2 years? In comparison to what you're dealing with, it is a miniscule amount of money. Like pissing on a wildfire. And in keeping with the fire stuff: if you keep doing stuff like this, you're gonna get burned.

Tuyop's car is a 2010. Toeshoes just got in. Noone is a "lifer" until they retire at 20 years (or longer or whatever the hell your country's limits are). Look at how Tuyop's plans went.

• Locked thread