Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just wanted to pop in and tell people that the hybrid tablet-phone rom for the Galaxy Nexus ParanoidAndroid has updated with the ability to change the DPI or mode of every app installed on your phone on the fly with a handy GUI interface.

It is loving awesome.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

lelandjs posted:

Just wanted to pop in and tell people that the hybrid tablet-phone rom for the Galaxy Nexus ParanoidAndroid has updated with the ability to change the DPI or mode of every app installed on your phone on the fly with a handy GUI interface.

It is loving awesome.

So what doesn't work with the rom?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

rotaryfun posted:

So what doesn't work with the rom?

Nothing, as far as I can tell. The biggest issue you'll encounter is bugs with programs loading their tablet interface when they won't work on a phone for whatever reason. Netflix was one such app so I just forced it to launch with the phone interface at 320 DPI instead. I've done that for a few other apps (Spotify beta) which work fine with default settings but with elements that were smaller than I liked.

There's actually a few really cool things that happen because of the default tablet DPI - if I'm holding the phone in portrait orientation when using Awful Betamax, the posts load with the normal UI, but in landscape they load as if I'm on a tablet (avatars beside the posts).

But besides that it's running a recent CM9 nightly, with all the latest features (Profiles, theme engine) enabled. FracoKernel works perfectly on it, and this build actually uses Nova Launcher (previously it was using a hacked Trebuchet) so after I was done restoring my apps I was able to restore my backed up Nova settings and get all my folders and widgets back.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
My biggest concern is camera support. Video and all that works?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

rotaryfun posted:

My biggest concern is camera support. Video and all that works?

Yes it does - you even get the snazzy tablet interface that puts the zoom and camera controls in a ring around the shutter button.

Since it's based off of CM9 there's no reason why stuff like that wouldn't work.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
Any CM9 news concerning HTC releasing their source code over the next few months?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Isaac Asimov posted:

Any CM9 news concerning HTC releasing their source code over the next few months?

It will happen when it happens, and the CM9 developers will react accordingly.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Eej posted:

I know Galaxy phones tend to be fragmented to a variant per carrier but was that an actual barrier for developing and porting ROMs?
In short, yes, but it really depends on "what" the Rogers SGS3 is, especially compared to the international model.

In some cases (e.g., I think the existing AT&T/Rogers SGSII) is close enough to the international SGSII model that much of the development can be shared between the devices. It just needs to be popular enough for one or two developers to actually have that model device to make sure that any common development actually works on them.

In other cases, the carrier-variant devices are completely different than the international model, using different SoCs and, well, everything. These devices have more differences with the international model (and sometimes, other variant devices) than they have in common. Examples include the T-Mobile SGSII/Telus SGSII X (APQ8060), AT&T SGSII Skyrocket/Rogers SGSII LTE (MSM8260), AT&T Samsung Captivate (Tegra 2), and the international SGSII GT-I9100G (OMAP4330).

Now, the SGSII generation is particularly heterogeneous. What it comes down to is that while the Exynos is a "great" hardware platform, the radio does run-of-the-mill HSPA+ and nothing more, and so isn't marketable as a carrier's favorite hot-poo poo 4G device. The APQ8060 devices do 42 Mbit HSPA+ which is their selling point, and the MSM8260 ones do LTE. I don't know what's up with Tegra and OMAP showing up here, avoid those.

In any event, if a particular variant device is popular enough, it may see sufficient development on its own despite limited potential for collaboration. For example, the Skyrocket being one of the few AT&T/Rogers LTE devices is now starting to get off the ground there.

But the downside to the degree of heterogeneity in the SGSII lineage is, well, I have serious concern over the software quality on these devices. I've been paying attention to one of the SGSII variants recently, the Epic 4G Touch and, as much if not more-so than its predecessor, the software is held up by the metaphorical equivalent of popsicle sticks and glue. So, I seriously think that when you get to the point that you're looking at a sufficiently removed variant device, not only is there a lack of community development, but the stock software stack gets pretty questionable too.

So basically, we'll just have to see how the SGS3 situation shakes out with regard to carrier variants. What we do know is that the international model isn't so impressive spec-wise over contemporary devices that I have no obsolescence concerns over picking up the GSM/UMTS Galaxy Nexus over the next few months, if you're thinking that route.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

I wonder if Samsung's internal source code management has gotten any better since they hired Cyanogen.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
on the topic of SGS2 - I haven't been paying attention recently, but finally decided to jump into root after running stock for over half a year. (att, sgh-i777)

I ended up using the zedomax method, and it worked great - only to find out a few days later that my wifi screwed up. I've been doing some light research only to discover after the fact that quite a few people have had the same issue, but are having varied luck in correcting it. Has anyone else here seen that?

I did run across this: link to Driver updates??! And think it may be my best bet to fix the wifi, but not sure - so I wanted to check here. From what I've seen, the ICS ROMs are still a bit questionable on these fronts - with other bugs/headset problems (mic/speaker not working, etc). Anyone have any experience with either this bug or any worthwhile roms to look into on this platform?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

I wonder if Samsung's internal source code management has gotten any better since they hired Cyanogen.
Doubtful. He's actually complained in the past that ROM builds on Samsung's internal servers bootlooped. :)

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

I'm sure he's been assimilated by the corporate restrictions and beat down to being a yes-man like all other employees. Sad, really, how the corporate world stifles the innovations of brilliant people with red tape, etc. You go into a great new gig with high hopes and plans to unleash your skills into new products only to be told no along the way and ending up saying "f-it, it's a paycheck."

My guess at least.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Thanks for that. I find it incredibly difficult to gather any info on the SGSII simply due to all the variants with seemingly minor but actually major differences that prevent easy cross development. I guess it's kind of a microcosm of ~Android fragmentation~ in a sense.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The stock browser on my GNex running apex 1.1.3 seems to be hosed up somehow. It'll work for a short while (like a half dozen page loads or so) before becoming non-responsive. I have to then force close it to get it to work again. I can use Chrome or Dolphin, but ICS Browser+ has the same issue - guess it depends on the stock app?

What can I do to fix this? The stock browser on my Touchpad (running a CM9 nightly from a month or so ago) works, can I pull that off with AirDroid and install it on the GNex, or is there more to it than that?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

The stock browser on my GNex running apex 1.1.3 seems to be hosed up somehow. It'll work for a short while (like a half dozen page loads or so) before becoming non-responsive. I have to then force close it to get it to work again. I can use Chrome or Dolphin, but ICS Browser+ has the same issue - guess it depends on the stock app?

What can I do to fix this? The stock browser on my Touchpad (running a CM9 nightly from a month or so ago) works, can I pull that off with AirDroid and install it on the GNex, or is there more to it than that?
Yes, you can pull the browser off your Touchpad and it should work but have you tried clearing the browser's cache and failing that the data?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Yes, you can pull the browser off your Touchpad and it should work but have you tried clearing the browser's cache and failing that the data?

Yep, multiple times in both cases. This is the version on the phone currently:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

Yep, multiple times in both cases. This is the version on the phone currently:

What is that Andrew bullshit? The stock browser is 4.0.4-330937

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Yeah I don't know what the gently caress. It came with apex I guess? :shobon:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Hello folks in the thread. I've read through the OP and few other threads on Android development boards, and I have a quick question.

I have been using a stock 2.3.4 first-gen Incredible for the last two years. I recently shattered the screen, and because I'm a sucker and had insurance I have in my hands a totally new (refurbished) DInc, which I have yet to turn on or activate.

I'm not interested in upgrading and committing to a new contract right now, so I want to stick with this phone. I'm guessing that if I wanted to root the phone, it would be easiest to do so from it's current 'factory reset' 2.2 state. If this is correct, what's the best course of action? Set up & activate the phone, resync my contacts, and avoid any OTA 2.3/2.34 updates?

I'm not thrilled with staying at 2.2, so I'll probably install a custom ROM at some point, but I primarily don't want to make things harder for myself.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

LastInLine posted:

He's running a custom ROM. That string is set to the username of the builder by default.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Hello folks in the thread. I've read through the OP and few other threads on Android development boards, and I have a quick question.

I have been using a stock 2.3.4 first-gen Incredible for the last two years. I recently shattered the screen, and because I'm a sucker and had insurance I have in my hands a totally new (refurbished) DInc, which I have yet to turn on or activate.

I'm not interested in upgrading and committing to a new contract right now, so I want to stick with this phone. I'm guessing that if I wanted to root the phone, it would be easiest to do so from it's current 'factory reset' 2.2 state. If this is correct, what's the best course of action? Set up & activate the phone, resync my contacts, and avoid any OTA 2.3/2.34 updates?

I'm not thrilled with staying at 2.2, so I'll probably install a custom ROM at some point, but I primarily don't want to make things harder for myself.

Turn it on by holding the power button and volume down. What HBOOT version is it on?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
HBOOT-0.92.0000

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Okay, and when you boot into the phone, in Settings>About Phone>Software information, what baseband version and software version is it on?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Ahahaha poo poo, it's 2.3.4. Just turned it on for the first time. I was giving it a full charge before powering it on. Whoops. It's 2.15.10.07.07 baseband, software number 4.08.605.2 Welp, guess I'll just set up the phone as normal and look into downgrading / rooting a little further down the line.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
The AT&T HTC One X got it's bootloader unlocked today.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1671396
Here's to hoping that CM9 is more than just the pipe dream it was on my Evo 3d

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Hi guys, hoping someone has some insight here. I'm running OpenSensation CM9 on my Sensation and seeing some ridiculous awake time that I can't pin down. I posted the below to XDA but I'm not holding out much hope that they can help. Has anyone tackled this before?

quote:

So this was my day. Unplugged before going to sleep, woke up and intermittently read forums etc for a couple of hours, then went to work where I did nothing with the phone other than a couple of calls and a bit of checking time/emails.

It's not the drain whilst using the phone that's annoying me, it's the drain between periods of intermittent use and in periods of absolutely no use that I find baffling. The phone just seems to leak battery for no reason, in my quest to find the cause I've turned off literally everything so that the only things running are Nova, Google services (although everything that I can find is turned off) and Gmail sync.

The second screenshot is from Badass battery monitor. It's the sensor times that are interesting - the gravity sensor time matches my screen on time, the proximity sensor time matches my in-call time, which are both expected. The light sensor time, though, is nearly 5 times screen-on time and over half the total time off battery. What the hell? And nearly 5 hours of keep awake time with 2000 wakelocks... Something is not right here. Is this what everyone else is seeing with OS? I guess I'll try the official CM9 builds as I've tried everything I can think of and I really don't want to go back to a Sense build although with the above usage pattern I was accustomed to ending up with around 60% battery.

Apologies for the long post but I really want to know if I should just give up on CM for now or if there is something that I can do.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I'd chalk this to "AOSP has been, is, and probably always will be broken on the Sensation".

On the Sensation, there are two options. The first is run a Sense 3.6 ROM and not pay much attention to Sense so you don't get too frustrated. The second is run Sense 4 or an AOSP build, but Sense 4 has broken Wi-Fi tethering at the moment, and the statement above is a reflection of Sensation AOSP.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

~~RAZR MAXX ICS leak news~~

For anyone who updated to 0.84/0.85 and found themselves unable to downgrade back to GB to get back on the upgrade path, people found a way to update to the latest version of the ICS leak that is almost certainly going to be the actual release: http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/2321-get-unstuck-from-icsbut-not-back-to-gb-6148485-616203204206/

I was ok with running 0.84 on my phone since there weren't too many problems with the build, but upgrading to 206 fixed the problems that did exist and seemed to include a lot of optimizations.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I'm pretty happy that people are already fixing the stupid buttons on the One X / Evo 4G LTE. If I could get long press on home to be recent apps and the recent apps button to be a search (or menu) button it would be gravy.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

heat posted:

I'm pretty happy that people are already fixing the stupid buttons on the One X / Evo 4G LTE. If I could get long press on home to be recent apps and the recent apps button to be a search (or menu) button it would be gravy.
Those aren't HTC buttons, they're the standard Ice Cream Sandwich buttons, so presumably they will be on new phones from here on out.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Those aren't HTC buttons, they're the standard Ice Cream Sandwich buttons, so presumably they will be on new phones from here on out.

Yeah ICS buttons are awesome, what are you talking about "stupid"?

Additionally, ICS (at least stock ICS) has a persistent, not-too-screen-real-estate-using, Google search box that operates much like WebOS's "just type" search did, where you can type a name or an app or a web search and it works fabulously. There is little need for a search button when you have that on top of each screen.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
That does sound useful, too bad HTC decided I wouldn't want it. The recent apps button IS stupid, they should have left it as long press on home instead of infringing on screen real estate with the new menu button/black bar. Right now the home button long press does... nothing.

heat fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 25, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

heat posted:

That does sound useful, too bad HTC decided I wouldn't want it. The recent apps button IS stupid, they should have left it as long press on home instead of infringing on screen real estate with the new menu button/black bar. Right now the home button long press does... nothing.
Long presses are retarded and nondiscoverable and nobody used them which is why they're depreciated.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Additionally the on-screen menu button is only for programs that haven't updated to the Android 4 UI guidelines. You'll be seeing less and less of that as time goes on.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Vertigus posted:

~~RAZR MAXX ICS leak news~~

For anyone who updated to 0.84/0.85 and found themselves unable to downgrade back to GB to get back on the upgrade path, people found a way to update to the latest version of the ICS leak that is almost certainly going to be the actual release: http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/2321-get-unstuck-from-icsbut-not-back-to-gb-6148485-616203204206/

I was ok with running 0.84 on my phone since there weren't too many problems with the build, but upgrading to 206 fixed the problems that did exist and seemed to include a lot of optimizations.

Does this link actually have steps to root and install this leak? I'm typing this on my Maxx right now whilst in the car so multi tasking is a little more difficult.

Anyone have any idea when we'll actually see an official ICS release?

Edit: I guess it does, with 12 steps. Jesus

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

nickhimself posted:

Does this link actually have steps to root and install this leak? I'm typing this on my Maxx right now whilst in the car so multi tasking is a little more difficult.

Anyone have any idea when we'll actually see an official ICS release?

Edit: I guess it does, with 12 steps. Jesus

The instructions are for if you're already on 0.84/0.85. If you install 206, you will still be unable to return to stock GB.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
I keep running into the weirdest problem with my EVO3D.

I've done a backup of my 'known working' ROM, and I'd like to try out some of the latest ICS, just to see what its like.

But I'll be damned if it'll load. Right now, I'm trying:

http://themikmik.com/showthread.php?12451-ROM-May22-*NEW-UPDATE*-ZR3DX-1-1-Sense-3-6-team420-THEMED-Sprint-BEATS-odex-QLwidget

But everytime I try and load it from 4XT, it tells me its a "BAD" zip, and fails. I do an md5sum of the zip on my machine, and when I do one while in recovery, they never seem to match.

I'm running Linux Mint, but that shouldn't matter. All I'm doing is just mounting the sdcard, and dragging the ROM into my ROMS folder. This has always worked in the past, what the hell?!

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Is there any downside to flashing the leaked Imm76k update for the verizon gnexus? Does it helps the battery life? I am already unlocked and rooted + running the earlier 4.04 leaked building, do I need to do anything special? Any recommendations in terms of getting the appropriate file?

thanks

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is there a decent CM9 rom for the Atrix 4G anymore? I just tried the most recent Jokersax build and it crashes and restarts every thirty seconds or so. Totally fresh flash and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
As a general rule of thumb, if there isn't an official release for a very closely related SoC, ICS is going to probably be unstable. EG: Desire HD is related to My Touch 4g and G2/DZ's system-on-a-chip. Once the DHD update is out, some of the drivers can be ported over to these others.

Wait for the official Atrix ICS update for anything to really be stable.