Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idolmind86
Jun 13, 2003

It's better to burn out than to fade away.

It's even better to work out, numbnuts.

Its Miller Time posted:

I want to set aside a pay check on Etrade to play around with and as a reason to learn more about the major public companies in each industry and the developments in each and hopefully become more knowledgeable about a wide range of finance subjects and areas. I also realized I'd rather gamble in what interests me. Where do I start? How do you get your news? I've worked in finance for two years and gotten a similar degree so I have a reasonable base, I just want to start developing fundamental and technical reasons I think certain stocks/industries/countries will perform a certain way in the future, and develop and update my own opinions. I assume this means reading a lot of commentary on internet websites like seekingalpha.com in this day and age.

Honestly it's all kind of poo poo. You basically have to inundate yourself with as much poo poo as possible and learn to pick bits and pieces out that make sense. I read seeking alpha and it occasionally has something useful on there, but a lot of it is garbage, you just need to realize that.

CNBC and Bloomberg are great for learning things that have already happened. Bloomberg has a free iOS ap that I listen to in the car although Bloomberg seems to have a more global focus than CNBC, which can get annoying.

As far as learning what is going on, what direction companies are going on, etc. I would start listening to their quarterly conference calls on line. They are generally archived and most of them can be found on corporate Web sites. I prefer the recordings over transcripts because recordings have analyst questions and answers.

I believe I learned the most by picking some companies and listening to their calls. That taught me the most about the companies and their industries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Think I'm going to long Gentex as a play on being long autos.

And speaking of BI, here's Slate on them: http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2012/05/business_insider_a_terrific_news_source_.html

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 25, 2012

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Sometimes I read the message boards on yahoo just to see what people are saying.
Every time I regret doing so.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Just get a one month subscription to the Financial Times and use stocktwits: all the other good stuff gets linked there anyway and it's really nice to have people calling out the chart formations and trends they see and other people calling bullshit on it in real time. Follow it for a few days and you can get a sense for who's an idiot and who seems to be calling things correctly.

Almost any "mainstream" newspaper is going to be either five steps behind on any news about the economy or completely wrong. An as for the yahoo message boards, there's never been a more wretched hive of scum and villany.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I'm surprised that Twitter hedge fund even lasted a month.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/d5d9c3f8-a5bf-11e1-b77a-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1vtCRp8hD

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

FooGoo posted:

Sometimes I read the message boards on yahoo just to see what people are saying.
Every time I regret doing so.

A wretched hive of scum and villainy....

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Smerdyakov posted:

Just get a one month subscription to the Financial Times and use stocktwits: all the other good stuff gets linked there anyway and it's really nice to have people calling out the chart formations and trends they see and other people calling bullshit on it in real time. Follow it for a few days and you can get a sense for who's an idiot and who seems to be calling things correctly.

Almost any "mainstream" newspaper is going to be either five steps behind on any news about the economy or completely wrong. An as for the yahoo message boards, there's never been a more wretched hive of scum and villany.

You have never seen Stockhouse in Canada. It is so bad there the regulators have started fining posters in the six figures for passing along misleading information.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I love stockhouse, my old boss use to post on it often to talk up our company stock (he's in jail for white collar crimes, that have nothing to do with that).

Only Shapes
Mar 18, 2003

Good call. Anybody else been hearing rumors about WMT splitting this summer?

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I bought into this Chinese medical stock about 2 years ago, CMED. They manufacture and market all sorts of advanced medical tests and devices. I thought it was a great play with the improving chinese medical system (and it was for awhile).

Think I posted about this before, but they've been acting shadier and shadier, and then a few months ago they stopped paying their bonds, and cut off all communication. Stock was delisted. Stories came out about how the CEO had the company buy another of his companies for way too much, and then spun off the good parts of CMED for almost nothing, leaving an empty husk.

The stock started trading on the pink sheets again as CMEDY (hahaha), and initially traded at around 1. Its been crazy volatile, popping up to over 4 twice now.

Now this guy has posted this insane story about how he thinks that this small little investment group has been contracted by the chinese to pick up their shares on the downlow, quietly, for very cheap - with the goal of taking the company private for as little as possible. Basically that the management sells the stock for as much as they can, then acts like assholes to tank it, then buys it back for nothing. This investment company has accumulated over 20% of the shares already, is apparently continuing to buy, and is also doing the same thing with another company with a similar story. Although no mainstream media is covering the company, only this random guy on seekingalpha.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/607191-chinese-rtos-covertly-going-private

I dunno, this poo poo is nuts. I'm split between a) cashing out and running while people are chasing dreams, b) continuing to hold onto what I have to see whats up, or c) buying into the story and grabbing another chunk of it before they try to buyout the rest of the shares.

This is what happens when people have no loving fear of lawsuits whatsoever. Both narratives are perfectly believable to me - either that the management just raped the company and left nothing of value behind, or that this was all an elaborate ploy to make crazy money off of both ends.

I guess either way it doesn't make sense to put money into a company where the management is loving around. But it galls me to lose any money at all to these fucktards.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Cash out

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

cremnob posted:

Cash out

I dunno holding opaque chinese companies sounds like a good investment strategy. Having no recourse when things go tits up is just the icing on the cake.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

lightpole posted:

I dunno holding opaque chinese companies sounds like a good investment strategy. Having no recourse when things go tits up is just the icing on the cake.

Haha true true. Allright, putting any more money into it is definitely not an option.

I just hate cashing out right now when that might be the whole point of this scam.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
A stock called Comedy: the joke is on someone or other

China Medical Technologies – a Chinese diagnostic, medical testing and genetic tools company which I am short – is possibly the strangest story in our portfolio. Here is the official “business description”:

http://brontecapital.blogspot.com/2012/05/stock-called-comedy-joke-is-on-someone_09.html

quote:

So whilst the stock hung in the air much the same way bricks don't we hired someone with genuine expertise in diagnostic tests to look at the technical specifications of the medical tests they had on their website. (Our expert can read Chinese.)

Here was their response:

They have three product lines: ECLIA, FISH, and SPR. I am a bit busy doing other stuff, so I will do this in three parts, one product line per part. Here is the first part on ECLIA:
ECLIA instrument and assays are proprietaryECLIA Product brochures have no product specification Sensitivity of instrument is stated as 10^-19, but no units givenCan’t find any patents that belonged to the company
ECLIA is what they call Enhanced chemiluminescence immunoassay. The company said it is a closed system, i.e. proprietary instruments and diagnostic assays. The assays cannot be used in 3rd party instruments, and the instruments cannot be used for 3rd party assays. This is very strange because cost is important in diagnostics based on chemiluminescense technology. A closed system means higher cost, smaller volume, but you hope to make up for it on price, i.e., differentiate products based on quality. Indeed, they claim that their instrument is very sensitive, 10^-19. But 10^-19 of what? They don’t specify the unit. Regardless, whether it’s molar or ng/ml, 10^-19 sounds very impressive. However, I am used to nano or pico scale, and 10^-19 is one million times more sensitive than pico scale. This seems impossible. Not only impossible technically, but also business wise – what diagnostic applications would need this kinds of sensitivity? I can’t think of any. Also, I don’t think sensitivity matters for the type of assays they sell.
Chemiluminescence immunoassay is the technology found in pregnancy tests sold in drug stores. This is an old and cheap technology. In general, you use this technology to get yes or no answers quickly and cheaply. The sensitivity of chemiluminescence immunoassay is usually below 0.5ng/ml, i.e., already very sensitive. Regardless, for in vitro diagnostics, most of the technology should be in the assays, not in the instruments. And here is where I found strange - the company does not have product specification for its assays on the web. On the other hand, lots of Chinese instrumentation and diagnostic assays products sold on Alibaba show no product specification at all. The only immunoassay technology that is known for its sensitivity is radioimmunoassay, but it is a niche product specific for detecting allergen for allergy diagnostic. If CMEDY’s technology is real, then it's ECLIA products have a very small niche and it probably has no sales - the company has only one test for allergy – total IgE.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Well, what do experts know? The markets knows best and clearly it's about to break out and rip. Don't have free money to invest, but if I max some credit cards I get above the credit limit and then I can get some leverage going. Is 10:1 too conservative on this?

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Ola posted:

Well, what do experts know? The markets knows best and clearly it's about to break out and rip. Don't have free money to invest, but if I max some credit cards I get above the credit limit and then I can get some leverage going. Is 10:1 too conservative on this?

Yes. See if you can get your friends and family to get as many credit cards as they can as well. Remember that trading on the market can be risky, so be sure to get a diversified basket of chinese companies of unclear purpose, social media stocks, and biotech penny stocks to make sure that you're "hedged" against any possible risk. If Chinese stocks go down, the biotechs will go up and vice versa, wheras the social media is already internally hedged because of pintrest's coming IPO and of course, the way that twitter delivers real-time cloud content to monetize the complete user experience while adding value.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Is anyone following STVI?

I stupidly bought more than I should a few months ago at $1.60 expecting it to jump with the FB IPO. I know, many lessons learned the hard way. I'm never touching an OTC stock again. My question now is, should I hold on to it and possibly expect to sell it at cost? Or could it be headed down to $0.60 and I should ditch it now, at a significant loss?

Ugh, Captain Hindsight is kicking the crap out of me.

Something lawful
Aug 13, 2007
wut wut

FooGoo posted:

I stupidly bought more than I should a few months ago at $1.60 expecting it to jump with the FB IPO. I know, many lessons learned the hard way. I'm never touching an OTC stock again. My question now is, should I hold on to it and possibly expect to sell it at cost? Or could it be headed down to $0.60 and I should ditch it now, at a significant loss?

You don't like it so get out. No one knows if it is going up or down anytime soon, so unless you have a fundamental reason to hold it (which you don't) sell it. The loss has already happened.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I day traded STVI for a while, unfortunately that FB pop was when it rallied to 1.80 one day.

Company is kinda shady, terrible customer service, the website doesn't work. The app is decent I guess...

The biggest worry of course is their insane amount of market expenses which is a total black box. I asked IR about it and they said they won't reveal what they do for competitive purpose. Shady for sure.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

Something lawful posted:

You don't like it so get out. No one knows if it is going up or down anytime soon, so unless you have a fundamental reason to hold it (which you don't) sell it. The loss has already happened.

Good point, thanks for the input.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

FooGoo posted:

The way I always think of these situations is to pretend that you don't currently own the stock and instead have that money sitting there in cash. Would you use that cash to purchase STVI at its current price? Probably not. So why would you hold it? Sell.

Theace41
May 7, 2007
How's your sister?
Ive been holding RGR for a few months. Ive seen stocks cool off a bit after a great earnings report, but holy poo poo. Anybody else own this one?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I've been following rgr for a while and I don't get it either. They are literally making as much money as they possibly can (they have so many orders they had to put them on hold), and there is no reason for demand to drop any time soon (especially if the economy doesn't recover and/or Obama is reelected), so I am quite baffled. I would have to look into it, but it is possible insiders are selling...there were quite a few officers were very low historical costs, perhaps they are taking profits?

Something lawful
Aug 13, 2007
wut wut

abagofcheetos posted:

I've been following rgr for a while and I don't get it either. They are literally making as much money as they possibly can (they have so many orders they had to put them on hold), and there is no reason for demand to drop any time soon (especially if the economy doesn't recover and/or Obama is reelected), so I am quite baffled. I would have to look into it, but it is possible insiders are selling...there were quite a few officers were very low historical costs, perhaps they are taking profits?
What is the life of a gun? If everyone who is of the "Obama is gonna get me" mindset has tooled up already the market may eventually become over saturated.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

abagofcheetos posted:

people are stupid. BMO posted a 27% increase in profits for Q2 and even lost less then expected on bad loans. I've lost 500 dollars since that was announced.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

sbaldrick posted:

people are stupid. BMO posted a 27% increase in profits for Q2 and even lost less then expected on bad loans. I've lost 500 dollars since that was announced.

People are worried about European exposure. Read deep into the footnotes. Not saying it is bad but there are other factors. (I have not read the footnotes but banks are getting beaten up over these problems.)

RBC thought the Dexia deal was good at the time and I would bet that now they are more than a little embarrassed at having their names up on a skyscraper in downtown Toronto.

That said, I love BMO and TD's push into the US.

evilwaldo fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 27, 2012

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

abagofcheetos posted:

Watch the reasons behind the selling. Are the insiders doing this for tax purposes? Are they selling because their stock has taken up a far too large portion of their personal net worth? Those are legitimate selling reasons.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

evilwaldo posted:

People are worried about European exposure. Read deep into the footnotes. Not saying it is bad but there are other factors. (I have not read the footnotes but banks are getting beaten up over these problems.)

RBC thought the Dexia deal was good at the time and I would bet that now they are more than a little embarrassed at having their names up on a skyscraper in downtown Toronto.

That said, I love BMO and TD's push into the US.

BMO's European exposure is pretty small, their exposure is mostly US based. People are pretty stupid

but then again I was sure that RBC was going to take over Wachiovia when it was "merged" with Wells Fargo

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

sbaldrick posted:

BMO's European exposure is pretty small, their exposure is mostly US based. People are pretty stupid

but then again I was sure that RBC was going to take over Wachiovia when it was "merged" with Wells Fargo

The exposure is what you know. There may be some hidden items off balance sheet.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Well, it's been quiet, so I'll say it: suck it, FB.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
FB is pretty much the reason everyone in the "analyst" community is an idiot.

On other news, Barrick Gold is currently loving me badly

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

sbaldrick posted:

FB is pretty much the reason everyone in the "analyst" community is an idiot.

On other news, Barrick Gold is currently loving me badly

Goldcorp is down big as well which means something must be floating around concerning Pueblo Viejo.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

I love Baddog's posts because you can't tell if he is posting in PITR or BFC just by reading them.

Edit, actually the PITR posts are logical and BFC's are all gambol voodoo.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

I love Baddog's posts because you can't tell if he is posting in PITR or BFC just by reading them.

Edit, actually the PITR posts are logical and BFC's are all gambol voodoo.

Hahaha I like it!

But the vast majority of my money is actually in pretty safe poo poo (like I hope everyone else's is as well). And in my defense in the china stocks, a lot of 'analysts' from large firms were falling all over themselves to rate CMED and others a buy not that long ago. They are all realllll quiet now though.

I guess I should just follow BFC conventional wisdom and buy NOK ;)

ANGRY_KOREA_MAN
Mar 18, 2007
Not sure if it has been mentioned here, but does does anyone have any opinions on NEON? The company Neonode that developed and patented the slide-to-unlock feature that Apple is in a lawsuit with Samsung over.

I have been scouring the internet for information regarding the lawsuit, but there isn't really a ton out there. It seems that since Neonode holds the patent for the technology apple is using and suing samsung for using, they might end up getting bought by Apple to ensure they are the rightful owners of the patent, which could skyrocket the stock up quite a bit.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/624041-did-steve-jobs-steal-the-iphone-from-this-potential-30-stock

thats an article some guy wrote today about it with some compelling details.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

ANGRY_KOREA_MAN posted:

Not sure if it has been mentioned here, but does does anyone have any opinions on NEON? The company Neonode that developed and patented the slide-to-unlock feature that Apple is in a lawsuit with Samsung over.

I have been scouring the internet for information regarding the lawsuit, but there isn't really a ton out there. It seems that since Neonode holds the patent for the technology apple is using and suing samsung for using, they might end up getting bought by Apple to ensure they are the rightful owners of the patent, which could skyrocket the stock up quite a bit.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/624041-did-steve-jobs-steal-the-iphone-from-this-potential-30-stock

thats an article some guy wrote today about it with some compelling details.
First, that guy clearly does not know anything about patents.

Second, my understanding of what happened (combined with some stuff from fosspatents):
1) NEON files a patent application on a slide to unlock function;
2) Apple files a patent application on slide to unlock, where an image follows along with your finger as you are sliding;
3) The Apple patent issues (7,657,849); and
4) The Neonode patent issues (8,095,879).

Acquiring Neonode would not do anything relevant to Apple's ownership or the validity of the Apple patent.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Baddog posted:

Hahaha I like it!

But the vast majority of my money is actually in pretty safe poo poo (like I hope everyone else's is as well). And in my defense in the china stocks, a lot of 'analysts' from large firms were falling all over themselves to rate CMED and others a buy not that long ago. They are all realllll quiet now though.

I guess I should just follow BFC conventional wisdom and buy NOK ;)

I haven't seen anyone say buy China without a huge caveat emptor. Personally a stock that has shady financials and business plan in a country like China where recourse is difficult at best is just not worth my time.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

lightpole posted:

I haven't seen anyone say buy China without a huge caveat emptor. Personally a stock that has shady financials and business plan in a country like China where recourse is difficult at best is just not worth my time.

Jesus Christ, you all want to crucify me on china, when I pretty much just posted the story as a cautionary wtf tale.

Here's a Deutsche Bank analyst from 2010 and Barclays right before the company stopped paying its bonds, this January.

http://www.streetinsider.com/New+Co...er/5922377.html

http://www.streetinsider.com/New+Coverage/Barclays+Starts+China+Medical+Technologies+%28CMED%29+at+Overweight/7049287.html

quote:

Deutsche analyst says, "As the largest IVD (in-vitro diagnostic) company in China, CMED is poised to deliver a FY10-14E CAGR of 22% on revenue growth and a CAGR of 37% on EPS. We anticipate a robust turnaround that would far exceed expectations for the following 12-18 months. As CMED’s improving fundamental prospects are not reflected in the stock price, we construe substantial upside potential is likely, with limited downside risk, presenting a compelling risk reward opportunity for both value and growth investors."

Limited downside risk, lolololol, good one.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski
People actually listen to analysts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

gvibes posted:

First, that guy clearly does not know anything about patents.

Second, my understanding of what happened (combined with some stuff from fosspatents):
1) NEON files a patent application on a slide to unlock function;
2) Apple files a patent application on slide to unlock, where an image follows along with your finger as you are sliding;
3) The Apple patent issues (7,657,849); and
4) The Neonode patent issues (8,095,879).

Acquiring Neonode would not do anything relevant to Apple's ownership or the validity of the Apple patent.

I don't know much about patents either but boy does it seem like total bullshit.