Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Skandiaavity posted:

Aaaand I'm going to Manila, Philippines! :toot:

Nobody quit on flag day, too!

TCD, you have a great IMS heading your way. Humble and determined.

Diplomaticus, you're getting two OMS. one's a great girl (so far!) the other one i haven't had a chance to talk to yet.

BOF, you also have a great guy (OMS, i believe?) incoming to Tokyo. Very smart, very resourceful.

(edit: Vilerat you got an awesome FMO, too. He looks like Superman's alter ego, I swear)

Some very interesting post divisions. FMO's got their choice (as in first world country choices), IMS got either first or second choice (except the guy going to Nigeria), Med Officers got their choice, DS agents al l got their choices. The OMS all seemed very happy even though they did not always get their top 3.

Yeah, one of those OMS is coming to my office, and I know where the other one is going. Both are chill, awesome jobs (the one in my office is probably tougher though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
Congrats! I just got back from Manila for training a few weeks ago for training. I'm really jealous.

I'm holding on to a slim hope for Manila for my next tour, but I'd say it would be highly unlikely for both my directed tours to be in EAP.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Congrats!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Bidlist out on Friday.

Also it is 8pm and I am still at the office. No, scratch that. I JUST GOT BACK IN to the office after running to meeting after meeting since 2pm.

And now I get to start drafting cables.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Diplomaticus posted:

Bidlist out on Friday.

Also it is 8pm and I am still at the office. No, scratch that. I JUST GOT BACK IN to the office after running to meeting after meeting since 2pm.

And now I get to start drafting cables.

Don't worry, you'll have regular hours on your consular tour.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.
FYI, if you have an active LearnCenter account, you might be able to see the current bid list.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I don't. I haven't checked FSBid yet though. If someone does have such an account and can get the 2012 Summer ELGEN list, let me know!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
Gah.... HR is dragging their feet on the extension request. I'd like to know if I need to bid or not...

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Skandiaavity posted:

Aaaand I'm going to Manila, Philippines! :toot:

CONGRATULATIONS! I know a lot of people who did their first tours there, they all loved it.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Diplomaticus posted:

I don't. I haven't checked FSBid yet though. If someone does have such an account and can get the 2012 Summer ELGEN list, let me know!

I can check on HR Online starting Friday or Tuesday (depending on how long it takes to get my new badge at Main State).

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

1of7 posted:

Congrats! I just got back from Manila for training a few weeks ago for training. I'm really jealous.

I'm holding on to a slim hope for Manila for my next tour, but I'd say it would be highly unlikely for both my directed tours to be in EAP.

I'll be more than welcome to share my experiences there! Everyone says it's great, but the food is OK. Kinda busy and crowded, so i'm not sure what to expect.. all I know for sure is "it's hot and humid".

And the guy who got Nigeria didn't show up to any of the happy hours. Heh.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Diplomaticus posted:

Yeah, one of those OMS is coming to my office, and I know where the other one is going. Both are chill, awesome jobs (the one in my office is probably tougher though).

how do you mean by that? (more stressful/attention to detail/demanding dcm, etc). The general mood for the 125th is that anyone in the class appreciates any kind of heads up of what to actually expect, since well, it depends isn't really answering any of the questions being asked.

Of course, that's on par.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

I'll be more than welcome to share my experiences there! Everyone says it's great, but the food is OK. Kinda busy and crowded, so i'm not sure what to expect.. all I know for sure is "it's hot and humid".

And the guy who got Nigeria didn't show up to any of the happy hours. Heh.

Lagos or Abuja?

Also, I'm guessing that guy will probably have the best happy hours at Post.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Abuja. He kinda came around today and has a good approach to things (very optimistic) in class, at least. I'm definitely going to stay in touch with him and ask him what he thinks about it six months in.

(edit: and one of the funnest things happened: one of the DS SA/C's were badmouthing the President. I'm sure they're going to succeed :v: )

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 24, 2012

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Skandiaavity posted:

Abuja. He kinda came around today and has a good approach to things (very optimistic) in class, at least. I'm definitely going to stay in touch with him and ask him what he thinks about it six months in.

It seems like half the people I know who served in Nigeria hated the place, and the other half married a local and spent the rest of their career in AF.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
For sure, it's hardly anyone's first choice. You always hear about how it's a proverbial "hole", but part of me wants to believe Nigeria breaks those initial assumptions & has a culturally good side to it. Somewhat like Ethiopia or Kenya, they actually turn out to be nice places. :smith:

Also, are you at FSI any time next week? I'll have time to meet up for lunch if you want.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Skandiaavity posted:

(edit: and one of the funnest things happened: one of the DS SA/C's were badmouthing the President. I'm sure they're going to succeed :v: )

:ughh:

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Having been to both Lagos and Abuja THEY BOTH SUCK poo poo. Only country in AF I refuse to ever visit again. I've been to Sudan, I've been to DRC, I've been along the french speaking western coast, I could find good in every single place. Nigeria was the only place where the drat airline demanded a bribe before they'd let me board the plane.

Er, don't tell dude this I guess.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Skandiaavity posted:

how do you mean by that? (more stressful/attention to detail/demanding dcm, etc). The general mood for the 125th is that anyone in the class appreciates any kind of heads up of what to actually expect, since well, it depends isn't really answering any of the questions being asked.

Of course, that's on par.

Just some offices having more work than others. Pol/Econ OMS often have dip note drafting duties, arranging travel and such for us, flagging taskers that come in, flagging country clearances for our incoming visitors, etc. RSO (the other office) has a more sane schedule, and less incoming workload for the officers in most areas other than maybe travel.

It's still not that bad.

Vilerat posted:

Having been to both Lagos and Abuja THEY BOTH SUCK poo poo. Only country in AF I refuse to ever visit again. I've been to Sudan, I've been to DRC, I've been along the french speaking western coast, I could find good in every single place. Nigeria was the only place where the drat airline demanded a bribe before they'd let me board the plane.

My colleagues in Abuja pretty much hate it. The one in Lagos is better off, but yeah, Abuja is pretty much the bottom of my "where would I go in AF list" and that's considering "Hahaha now you're broke" Angola, "Hope you like skin cancer and dehydration" Djibouti, "Rioter? I hardly knew her" Guinea, "So, who am I control officer for this week" Khartoum, and other standouts.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 24, 2012

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Vilerat posted:

Sucks for that guy. On the plus side, coming out of Abuja, he will have his shot at WHA, EUR, EAP, etc.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011

Vilerat posted:

Nigeria was the only place where the drat airline demanded a bribe before they'd let me board the plane.

My professor back in the day who was Nigerian: "Nigeria is the world-wide leader in corruption. It's a national pastime at this point"

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Is there a forty words or less summary of why Nigeria is such a rough place to serve?

Also, there was an interesting article in the Washington Post Tuesday about this young gal who serves as a diplomatic courier. Seems like that job would really fry your circadian rhythm.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

DasNeonLicht posted:

Is there a forty words or less summary of why Nigeria is such a rough place to serve?

Also, there was an interesting article in the Washington Post Tuesday about this young gal who serves as a diplomatic courier. Seems like that job would really fry your circadian rhythm.

This looks like the article you're talking about. If it had come out a few weeks later she could could have copy-and-pasted half her EER.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

AKA Pseudonym posted:

If it had come out a few weeks later she could could have copy-and-pasted half her EER.

Hahaha... such a shame.

Edit:

Have my TA in hand for a TDY to Rio de Janeiro. :toot:

TCD fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 24, 2012

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

TCD posted:

Have my TA in hand for a TDY to Rio de Janeiro. :toot:

Don't get cut, gringo. wait five months and send the new guy

ATI Jesus
Aug 14, 2003
I can walk on water with my ATI graphics card installed!

Vilerat posted:

Our desk officer for AF looked at our bidlist back in orientation and he said "You would only find me in Nigeria if I have been kidnapped and taken there."

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

Don't get cut, gringo. wait five months and send the new guy

Beach man... the beach.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

TCD posted:

Beach man... the beach.

be wary of the siren's calls; ask for not whom the booty tolls, for the booty tolls thee

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Also uh, stay away from prostitutes.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
29 Thumbs up on Sounding board Smackdown!

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Which thread?

-edit-

Oh haha there's only one possible thread oh my god.

Vilerat fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 25, 2012

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
Just got my list. How important is trying to match up the TEDs for EL tours? I hope not too much, because less than half match mine close enough to prevent a gap in the position.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
There's almost always a gap. Your gaining post will expect one, and since it's directed they don't really have any say anyway. Don't worry about it at all, just bid on what you want.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo. My dream post that I have been saying that I want since DAY 1 is on this bid list and I WILL loving MURDER PEOPLE FOR IT.

(10017003) if you want to look it up.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Diplomaticus posted:

Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo. My dream post that I have been saying that I want since DAY 1 is on this bid list and I WILL loving MURDER PEOPLE FOR IT.

(10017003) if you want to look it up.

Damnit, and I'm not on Open Net right now!!!! What's the post? Hint, hint? What's it rhyme with?

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

the_chavi posted:

Damnit, and I'm not on Open Net right now!!!! What's the post? Hint, hint? What's it rhyme with?

give you a hint, the capital city rhymes with "dagos" keke

(seriouspost: give you a hint, it's in northern South America, but is not connected/related to any country found there.)

edit: i met both secstate and depsec today. Very nice people, 'Mr. Burns' is pretty funny.

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 26, 2012

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Skandiaavity posted:

(seriouspost: give you a hint, it's in northern South America, but is not connected/related to any country found there.)

No poo poo? That's your dream assignment? I didn't think they had roads/relevance there...

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Skandiaavity posted:

edit: i met both secstate and depsec today. Very nice people, 'Mr. Burns' is pretty funny.

Dep Sec Burns is p. awesome. He gave the speech for our class' swearing in ceremony - mentioned some foibles from his first couple tours. The theme was "Hey, I managed tenure even after all that, so just chill and be :cool:"

That, and he had like the most dapper tie ever.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Burns is awesome; I had lunch with him and my A/S a few months ago.

the_chavi posted:

Heh, it's an Antilles island with supervisory responsibility for 6 other islands. And it speaks Dutch. And it's a CON/POL/PD post with two other officers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

the_chavi posted:

No poo poo? That's your dream assignment? I didn't think they had roads/relevance there...

nah, I was speaking for diplomaticus. My dream post is probably like, Space. Think of the challenges.

And yeah, Burns gave our swearing in as well. We were fortunate enough that he had a few minutes to stay after.