Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Robert Denby posted:

Fuckin' Dreamworks. You do one great movie and just go back to doing garbage with wacky faces. You truly are the bizarro Pixar.

I saw the trailer for this when I went to watch The Avengers. It looks like a total shitpile (no surprises there). I wonder what goes through Dreamworks' heads when it comes to sequels, especially since they are (still) trying so, so hard to be Pixar.

Pixar have made sequels to Toy Story and Cars. Cars confuses me, 'cos I felt it was one of their weaker films, but hey, money. Toy Story makes sense though since that's where it all began for them, but Dreamworks' mentality is just :regd08:.

Can't wait for Shrek 5! :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dillbag posted:

But what happens once you believe you die?

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/theapparition/

edit: ah I missed your cleverness. How's that working for you?

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 25, 2012

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dillbag posted:

But what happens once you believe you die?

Based on the poster, once you believe you die... THE APPARITION!

I hope that clears things up for you.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

frozenpeas posted:

Don't care what you guys think, Dark Knight is going to be amazing...

...This on the other hand.

Is it about a headless Janet Jackson who is given a new one by magic gropehands? :iiam:

I actually like this, it's a spooky horror movie poster and it advertises the film well.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
At some point in high school, we were shown a filmed seminar by a feminist scholar about women's portrayal in media. One thing that really stuck with me was the section on movies, more specifically posters for horror movies. She showed probably a dozen examples where the poster was simply a woman's face with a hand covering the mouth. Lo and behold, that's my :goonsay: nitpick because it gets used on every single horror poster in the last 15/20 years, and I think this was the poster that made it popular:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Radio Paranoia posted:

I saw the trailer for this when I went to watch The Avengers. It looks like a total shitpile (no surprises there). I wonder what goes through Dreamworks' heads when it comes to sequels, especially since they are (still) trying so, so hard to be Pixar.

Pixar have made sequels to Toy Story and Cars. Cars confuses me, 'cos I felt it was one of their weaker films, but hey, money. Toy Story makes sense though since that's where it all began for them, but Dreamworks' mentality is just :regd08:.

Can't wait for Shrek 5! :thumbsup:

Basically, they make more money from Cars movies. Not through the box office (a simple look at wikipedia can tell you that the Cars series are some of their worst-performing movies), but through merchandise. I guess kids really love cars with faces, because none of their other franchises sell as much merchandise as Cars. But hey, if for every Cars movie Pixar can produce an Up and a Wall-E, then I'm perfectly fine with it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Pakled posted:

Basically, they make more money from Cars movies. Not through the box office (a simple look at wikipedia can tell you that the Cars series are some of their worst-performing movies), but through merchandise. I guess kids really love cars with faces, because none of their other franchises sell as much merchandise as Cars. But hey, if for every Cars movie Pixar can produce an Up and a Wall-E, then I'm perfectly fine with it.

Wasn't there a story about either Wall-E or Up nearly getting canned because Disney couldn't figure out how to merchandise the gently caress out of it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pakled posted:

Very few of Disney's franchises in general are as much of a merchandising bonanza as Cars.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Pakled posted:

I was going to make a post earlier (but it got eaten) that said essentially this (but adding the Spaceballs "MERCHANDISING!" clip). My young cousins love Cars toys. It's like most kids obsessions with Hot Wheels, but cars that have pre-determined personalities. Disney had to have made so much money off of the toys alone to make it worth making Cars 2, while Ratatouille, while being a great movie, probably had little in the way of merchandise.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Nybble posted:

I was going to make a post earlier (but it got eaten) that said essentially this (but adding the Spaceballs "MERCHANDISING!" clip). My young cousins love Cars toys. It's like most kids obsessions with Hot Wheels, but cars that have pre-determined personalities. Disney had to have made so much money off of the toys alone to make it worth making Cars 2, while Ratatouille, while being a great movie, probably had little in the way of merchandise.

They were going to release a bottle of wine for Ratatouille, but it got banned because they used a cartoon mouse as the logo (you're not allowed to use cartoonish things on alcohol, lest kids think it's for them).

But yeah, Cars has made something insane like 3 or 4 billion dollars for Disney on merchandising alone.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Little kids LOVE Madagascar. They really do. I've got quite a few young cousins (6-9) and you can't get them to sit still for Wall-E but Alex the Lion is like hypnotizing or something. It's a lot of slapstick Looney-Tunes style humor with animal jokes. Putting it on Shrek's level is unfair.

(That poster is terrible, though.)

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I've gotta say, the kids on the left side of this poster seem to be winning the battle. The ones on the right just look dejected.

gently caress your perspective :byodood:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dissapointed Owl posted:

"AND WHY ARE WE KIDS, SUDDENLY!?!?"

Another separated at birth cover:

From a few pages back, buuut

War is radical!

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Is that a dude surfing on an explosion or an army man caught in the barbed wire? Regardless what the hell is it actually supposed to be?

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

bowser posted:

gently caress your perspective :byodood:

This poster hurts my head. :stonk:

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
Honey I Shrunk The Fugitive.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That movie had better feature a shitload of nuclear explosions.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
That's no surfboard, I'm pretty sure that's a plastic army man.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Another DKR banner:

I like that one. :shobon:

So are these new oddly shaped posters being made specifically for people to use as Facebook wallpaper?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

It's clearly the herald of Galactus.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/theapparition/

edit: ah I missed your cleverness. How's that working for you?

Haha sorry, I couldn't resist. Personally, I don't think it's a terrible poster. The tagline, however...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Soonmot posted:

So are these new oddly shaped posters being made specifically for people to use as Facebook wallpaper?

They're banners, they hang them up in theater lobbies. They aren't new, either.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

mistaya posted:

Little kids LOVE Madagascar. They really do. I've got quite a few young cousins (6-9) and you can't get them to sit still for Wall-E but Alex the Lion is like hypnotizing or something. It's a lot of slapstick Looney-Tunes style humor with animal jokes. Putting it on Shrek's level is unfair.

(That poster is terrible, though.)

Madagascar is popular enough that Universal Studios made an entire section of their theme park into "Madagascar", at least in Singapore. It's right next to Shrek, so they probably see it as a comparable franchise.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Turns out the actual prints of the last few TDKR posters had a QR code that unlocked a Catwoman poster on the official website.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The lipstick forming the bat logo is a nice touch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wazzit posted:

Turns out the actual prints of the last few TDKR posters had a QR code that unlocked a Catwoman poster on the official website.

:argh: High Heels :argh:

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Since I didn't see them posted, the latest Mondo 1 minute sellout were these by Vania Zouravliov for the movie 13 Assassins. I liked the top/gold one, but knew there'd be a slim chance of getting it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Haha here's what happens when Chernobyl Diaries does better than expected...

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

kiimo posted:

Is it doing well?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

...better than expected.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

kiimo posted:

...better than expected.

So it made 3 million instead of 2 million?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Cloning is rife on the streets of Gotham:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 26, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kiimo posted:

Is it yellow cake :v:?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pesky Splinter posted:

Cloning is rife on the streets of Gotham:

Batman looks so badly pasted on, it's ridiculous. Those are such terrible banners.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Young Freud posted:

:golfclap:

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Young Freud posted:

Only if it was made with enriched flour

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

But if you look closely, the heel is a KNIFE so it's cool. :black101:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Wazzit posted:

I'm starting to suspect the high heels will be an important prop.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

It has a serrated edge on it so she will at least stab at least 1 person with the end and use the edge to cut off some ropes or restraints at least once as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Robert Denby posted:

At some point in high school, we were shown a filmed seminar by a feminist scholar about women's portrayal in media. One thing that really stuck with me was the section on movies, more specifically posters for horror movies. She showed probably a dozen examples where the poster was simply a woman's face with a hand covering the mouth. Lo and behold, that's my :goonsay: nitpick because it gets used on every single horror poster in the last 15/20 years, and I think this was the poster that made it popular:

You sure it's not