Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

What were these books about? I remember making fun of my best friend's little sister for reading them and having all the dolls or whatever, but I was always just a little curious what the books were like. Are they just "Pioneer daughter," "Dust bowl sisters," "Survivor of the Oregon Trail" etc. like I was picturing? Were all the dolls friends in the books? :confused:

From what I recall, they're basically dolls that come with period-accurate accessories and books of stories that are about life in whatever period the doll is supposed to be from.

I'm not a girl and I've never owned one, but I looked them up after hearing about them because it's just about the ne plus ultra of successfully selling overpriced crap to kids (a doll plus all the individual accessories is like $600). And did you know they're educational too?

The Wikiest of Pedias posted:

This product line aims to teach aspects of American history through a six–book series from the perspective of a nine– to eleven–year–old girl living in that time period. Although the books are written for an eight- to thirteen-year-old target audience, they endeavor to cover significant topics such as child labor, child abuse, poverty, racism, slavery, alcoholism, animal abuse, and war in manners appropriate for the understanding and sensibilities of their young audience.

Christ, it makes the Technodrome (speaking of campy 90s stuff!) my parents wouldn't buy me when I was seven look like a subtle piece of marketing.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 16:32 on May 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

KingOMtDew posted:

I was going to see a movie yesterday at a theater that used to be a Showcase Cinema and was reminded of this video that they played before every movie. Brings back many memories. :woop: early CG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy4H7oV7rUY

We've got a Regal Cinemas in my town, so I got to see this trailer every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3_xMBFjqQ4

They use an upgraded version now. That last popcorn pop still usually makes me jump.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

For some reason, I remember the dolls being about $75-$80, then again that might have been in the earliest days as I was reading those things at the end of the '80s. I begged and begged and begged and got the Samantha one. It's still at my mom's. I never really played with it, but I can't remember if I was pressured not to as it was too fancy or if I just didn't have the interest once I got it. It came with an authentic Indian head penny.

I had all the books for Kirsten, Samantha and Molly. Mom would occasionally go off on some tangent like this, a mix of trying to make me a girly-girl (didn't happen) and actually be on the cutting edge of something.

Yeah, it was $116 in 2000, when I left elementary school. Also, I will straight-up buy that Samantha doll off of you if you ever decide to sell it, because Pleasant Company stopped producing her.

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

What were these books about? I remember making fun of my best friend's little sister for reading them and having all the dolls or whatever, but I was always just a little curious what the books were like. Are they just "Pioneer daughter," "Dust bowl sisters," "Survivor of the Oregon Trail" etc. like I was picturing? Were all the dolls friends in the books? :confused:

Like Vincent Van Goatse said, they were supposed to be educational books. Each book was set in a specific timeline (all of them in the year blah blah blah 4, so 1774, 1854, 1864, 1904, 1944, etc) and each book had a specific "theme" that set the plot of the story. At the end, there was about an 8-10 page section with old photos and things that told the history of whatever was going on in the book.

The "theme" of each book was the same, pretty much, for every character. "Meet" was character introduction, "Learns a Lesson" involved schooling, "Happy Birthday" was about their birthday, "Surprise" is about Christmas, "Saves the Day" is where they get themselves into some sort of dangerous bullshit situation that they have to get out of, and "Changes for", as they used to be the last in each character's series, involved some huge game-changer scenario that would make things totally different for the character and their family.

So, for example, "Meet Kirsten", set in 1854, deals with Kirsten and her family emigrating from Sweden to Minnesota. She speaks no English, is completely freaked out by American culture, and her best friend Marta loving dies of cholera on the ship across the Atlantic. "Meet Samantha", set in 1904, introduces Samantha as a rich orphan girl who lives with her super-rich grandma and everything is very Victorian and proper and Samantha's always getting her rear end in trouble because she doesn't just sit there in her room and play with dolls all day, instead she CLIMBS TREES and PLAYS OUTSIDE which is IMPROPER FOR A YOUNG LADY and there's lots of arguing about piano lessons and Samantha getting in trouble for ripping her stockings.

In retrospect, even though the books were rather formulaic, they were really interesting to read for a nerdy girl like me, because it was awesome to find out about what it was like to live in those eras. I learned a lot about Swedish culture, the mail system in the 1850's, just how important fur trapping was, how important a simple find like a beehive in a tree could be to pioneers, etc. I'm keeping my copies for my kids to read later on, because they were pretty informative, however silly they got at times.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

I'm telling you, in 10 years these will be worth thousands!!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

WebDog posted:

I always wonder how women didn't spend their childhood in fear from glassy eyes boring into their souls from the top shelf. And how did you not get bored of these? Batman had grappling action and rockets. At best Barbie could get her face chewed off by the new dog and was utterly ruined. Batman on the other hand gained battlescars.

I hated big dolls and baby dolls (CREEPY), but boy did I love my Barbies. From what I remember I spent most of my time making them gently caress and argue though. They were always fighting.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

I hated big dolls and baby dolls (CREEPY), but boy did I love my Barbies. From what I remember I spent most of my time making them gently caress and argue though. They were always fighting.

I'm pretty sure every girl growing up had a slightly older friend demonstrate where babies came from using Barbies. :v:

You lay a naked Ken on top of a naked Barbie and then a baby comes out! :downs:

Phoenix Knives
May 7, 2012
http://www.lisafrank.com/

I miss the days of where the merchandise of Lisa Frank was everywhere.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Seinfeld was the 90s. It ran for almost the entire decade (1989-1998).

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
What was the name of those dolls that were basically whirling propellers of doom which homed into anything fragile? They were the death of Christmas ornaments. I vaguely recall there being a version for boys. I think they got recalled from their "soft foam wings" causing more destruction than intended.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

WebDog posted:

What was the name of those dolls that were basically whirling propellers of doom which homed into anything fragile? They were the death of Christmas ornaments. I vaguely recall there being a version for boys. I think they got recalled from their "soft foam wings" causing more destruction than intended.
Sky Dancers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETCLxxA8G_0

My friend and I would get into so much trouble letting these off into their fancy foyer with a 20ft ceiling. :v:

Bitey Bunny
May 26, 2009

c h o m p

Phoenix Knives posted:

http://www.lisafrank.com/

I miss the days of where the merchandise of Lisa Frank was everywhere.

My 2nd grade teacher told us that Lisa Frank was dead. I honestly believed that up until I looked her up a minute ago on Wikipedia. What the gently caress, teacher.

Big trampolines became a thing in the late 90s/early 2000 where I lived. Basically, if you had one, you were the life of the party. My dad absolutely refused to buy one (and looking back, that was probably a good idea) because they were dangerous.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Aceofblue posted:

Sky Dancers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETCLxxA8G_0

My friend and I would get into so much trouble letting these off into their fancy foyer with a 20ft ceiling. :v:

Don't forget the Sky Dancers cartoon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKpjz-_LTjQ

Sadly the plot doesn't involve the Sky Dancers slamming into things to destroy them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nobody's mentioned the GI Joe of the 90s! Sergeant Savage and his Screaming Eagles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZC7vtK5IQ4

Everyone has huge muscles and fists bigger than their heads, and all the bad guys are Nazi robots.

Holy Cow
Dec 8, 2006
Look at all of you with your girly twirly dancers. :smug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO3Ym-lwrTQ

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Freeze posted:

I'm telling you, in 10 years these will be worth thousands!!

My dad is still utterly convinced that his collection will make him rich in the future.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So 90s.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
What about Subspace, among if not the first MMO ever made:

I played this for so many years. It's still around, too! Can't say it's very campy though.

metalhead librarian
Jul 22, 2007
Rocking the shelves since 2005
Who remembers In Living Color? This was a sketch comedy show in the vein of Saturday Night Live that aired from 1990 to 1994.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Living_Color

http://youtu.be/MSO54NSiGiI has the theme song.

I remember watching this at night with my mom.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

SlothfulCobra posted:

Nobody's mentioned the GI Joe of the 90s! Sergeant Savage and his Screaming Eagles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZC7vtK5IQ4

Everyone has huge muscles and fists bigger than their heads, and all the bad guys are Nazi robots.

The Sgt. Savage action figure was badass. He came with a bunch of WWII era weapons that were way more detailed than standard G.I.Joe accessories.
Plus his nemesis was some kind of dictator with a Jetpack.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

metalhead librarian posted:

Who remembers In Living Color? This was a sketch comedy show in the vein of Saturday Night Live that aired from 1990 to 1994.

Weird, I also watched that with my mom. That, and reruns of Adam West Batman.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Who remembers In Living Color?
Some of this poo poo makes me feel old. I was talking the 90s with my new girlfriend and I had to explain Wayne's World. I've been enjoying the slightly different perspective on the 90s a person 4 years younger applies, since we both focus on different halves of the same whole. She can name as many Backstreet Boys members as I can New Kids on the Block. In the end, we both 90'd out. Just different phases of the moon, man.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

I posted:

So 90s.

I really hate to say this, but the show lost a lot without the original music in it to capture the 90s groups. Even if the DVD releases couldn't have had the original music, it would have been nice for optional captions or something that would say, "Lovefool by the Cardigans played in the televised version during this scene."

I swear, MTV was the BEST from about 1990-1996. They had the right mix of content and quality. I keep trying to figure out what killed MTV for me, and know there seemed to be a big shift in the MTV stuff around 1996-97 with Spice Girls and Puff Daddy, then Britney and the rest. Then we get Woodstock '99 and it's official: The good times are over.

I also think that MTV screwed up when it got rid of its genre shows, too: Yo!, Headbangers, 120 Minutes, Earth to MTV, Weekend Countdown, etc. They were really great venues for lesser known acts to get presented to their audience and potentially score some breakout success.

I still remember the Summers in the 90s, staying up all night long, watching Speed Racer reruns at 3am, seeing the Art Institute commercials playing every hour, and the Slow Bob in the Lower Dimensions and Joe's Apartment filling up time between videos at strange hours of the night, etc.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

JediTalentAgent posted:

I swear, MTV was the BEST from about 1990-1996. They had the right mix of content and quality. I keep trying to figure out what killed MTV for me, and know there seemed to be a big shift in the MTV stuff around 1996-97 with Spice Girls and Puff Daddy, then Britney and the rest. Then we get Woodstock '99 and it's official: The good times are over.

The Real World killed MTV. Because after that followed the first trickle of "reality" shows. There was Road Rage, and Singled Out, and probably a dozen more I'm forgotten. They kept adding more shows and bumping off music. :smith:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Pff, who doesn't remember In Living Color? Try House of Buggin', with John Leguizamo and Luis Guzmán.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

ungulateman posted:

My god, old Macs.

I remember using Netscape on a Mac...OS 8? back in primary school.

They were so amazingly bad :allears:

And they tended to overheat and shut down.

Great now you got the Bugdom theme playing in my head.

Uh yeah Bugdom, a game that came bundled with those iMacs, and the framerate slowed to a crawl when multiple ants appeared on screen.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Wandering Knitter posted:

The Real World killed MTV. Because after that followed the first trickle of "reality" shows. There was Road Rage, and Singled Out, and probably a dozen more I'm forgotten. They kept adding more shows and bumping off music. :smith:

I actually really liked the first 2 seasons of The Real World. Sure, it popularized the reality TV trend, but the first few years actually had a lot going for it. After that, though, I couldn't stand watching the show. I remember listening to an interview with Puck from 1999 or so where I think he said that after their season or the next some production staff behind the scenes changed, which may account for it.

However, I still remember people who declared things like The Ten Spot and ANY non-music programming (The State, Dead at 21, Liquid TV, Love Line, animated shows, etc.) taking up even an hour or two a day total of programming was destroying the channel, and this was when it literally consisted of only a few hours a day staggered about. Personally, I didn't mind when their non-music programming consisted of a few hours a day. There was probably no other channel in the 90s that could have/would have taken a risk on something like the first few years of The Real World, Liquid TV, etc.

On top of that, I seem to remember that even before the 90s MTV wasn't all music. We had reruns of the old Beatles Cartoon, The Monkees, Monty Python, The Young Ones, Half-Hour Comedy Hour, etc. Sure, most had some musical content, but MTV sort of knew how to not oversaturate them.

I almost want to say Singled Out did more damage. I remember also during the Summer one year that it felt like after midnight they played NOTHING but Singled Out episodes for several hours straight, every night, for weeks.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
On the subject of Macs, didn't anybody else's school's Macs have "Flying Colors" installed? It was like a slightly-more-robust Mario Paint, and 90's as gently caress.

It's also still for sale: http://www.magicmouse.com/h_flyingc.html

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Tewratomeh posted:

On the subject of Macs, didn't anybody else's school's Macs have "Flying Colors" installed? It was like a slightly-more-robust Mario Paint, and 90's as gently caress.

Nope, Kid Pix for our macs. And actually it was only installed on one Quadra 660.

Landerig has a new favorite as of 19:08 on May 26, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Tewratomeh posted:

Oh man, did this have some sort of "Create a Picture Book" more or something, because then I totally borrowed this from the local library back when all they had was weird edutainment titles (also, The Way Things Work CD-ROM game). Now it's just piles of PS3 and 360 games.

Never thought I'd live to see the day when libraries would be full of new console games.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Dad Beer posted:

Also, I was wondering if anybody else remembered a VHS I used to have called "Dinosaurs! Dinosaurs! Dinosaurs!" It was a shortish collection of little vignettes about dinosaurs fighting or taking care of their babies or whatever, and there was a host who would be at different dinosaur-related places in between them and introduce each segment. For some reason, over the course of the video he slowly turned into a dinosaur which completely terrified me; I loving loved dinosaurs back then though so I watched it pretty much every day. I'd love to be able to watch that goofy video again.

Pick posted:

I found the name of that film thanks to SA's "Help finding pre-internet things" thread. I only saw it once and the only thing I remembered was the part where he becomes a dinosaur. Irreversibly. It was kind of messed up.

I have the sequel "More Dinosaurs" on VHS. Your username is familiar, Pick, and I think I was a part of that thread, as well. This one doesn't have him turning into a dinosaur (though one of his arms hasn't changed back yet). They were in an apartment building, and towards the end a dinosaur was outside and looking in the windows, and reaching in. That part scared me a lot when I was a kid. I just had to ask my dad "What was the name of that dinosaur video that scared me?" and he knew exactly what it was (and still had it). And the date on the tape is 1985, so not technically 90s poo poo.

I'll see if I can get it online somehow (which may have been what I said last time...).

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I remember those, I rented them at a local library when I was a kid. I think one of them had a segment about the creatures of the book After Man for some reason.

Rahonavis posted:

E: Who were only outdone in terms of action figure spinoff lines created by people who had to have been on drugs by the truly bizarre "Jurassic Park" Chaos Effect.
That line was so crazy it was awesome.

:smith: A shame their flagship dinosaur never left the prototype stage though.

TShields posted:

Another one nobody else seems to remember is "Widget the World Watcher". He was a purple shape-changing alien who had a floating computer in his watch. I don't remember what Widget did, exactly, but I feel like it was entertaining.

It was one of the 90s "save the environment" shows, either contemporary with or slightly predating Captain Planet. The title character turned into purple versions of things and sounded like Donald Duck's nephews and I really don't remember much more because gently caress it this was like two decades ago and I feel old now.

Lolitas Alright! posted:

it's why Yu-Gi-Oh! was missing the entire first season.
:eng101: The "first season" was actually a seperate series made by a different company.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
The thing I remember about Widget was during the early Nineties, Atlus Japan was releasing stuff like the Megami Tensei series, while Atlus USA was giving us gems like Widget and its sequel, Super Widget.

Now that Atlus is publishing more in the States, I don't want to play 60-hour RPGs anymore. That's one thing I remember from the Nineties: having the patience to play long rear end RPGs.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
Everyone wants a Log!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eusMzC7Rx7M

Also, I don't know if this was shown in other areas, but I remember seeing this when I was younger and being extremely disturbed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z-XTeyV8Dk

It's called "The Killing of an Egg," a weird short cartoon by Paul Driessen

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Landerig posted:

And they tended to overheat and shut down.

Great now you got the Bugdom theme playing in my head.

Uh yeah Bugdom, a game that came bundled with those iMacs, and the framerate slowed to a crawl when multiple ants appeared on screen.

Bugdom owns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbAtjXq64Uc

As does Nanosaur https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLqqs86_Mng

VVV gently caress yes VVV

RembrandtQEinstein has a new favorite as of 18:37 on May 27, 2012

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember the Spider-Man theme.

No, not the one from the 50s that everyone knows, this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EeIOeYKd-c

XTREEEME!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

All this talk about MTV and strange cartoons put me in mind of those completely surreal Bill Plympton shorts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWfgmuPa4uA

He even did a game (if you can call it that) for Win95!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdHzYye5OvE

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Painfully 90s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiBYM6g8Tck

QuickbreathFinisher
Sep 28, 2008

by reading this post you have agreed to form a gay socialist micronation.
`

Shebrew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z-XTeyV8Dk

It's called "The Killing of an Egg," a weird short cartoon by Paul Driessen

Just now, watching this on youtube unearthed some deeply rooted and long forgotten fears from my childhood. I am now remembering that I was TERRIFIED of this clip for some reason, and had to change that channel when it came on. I had completely forgotten about it.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Thanks to the person who posted the Kidsongs intro several pages back, I was inspired to look up another show that I used to watch when I was pretending to be sick at my grandma's house instead of going to school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fEWQBQo9fE

It was remembering the Native American puppet's name, Skye, that lead me to figuring out the name of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Re: 90s mixtape

The Spin Doctors were the 90sest band of all time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXWbMu4PtpE

Of course, there's always Goldfinger, which was the late 90sest band of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfwsxoo_FL8

Although Jimmy's Chicken Shack was a pretty close contender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WR3gF9J0hQ

psydude has a new favorite as of 20:30 on May 29, 2012

• Locked thread