Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mods namechange to Olde Weird Pro Tip, please

As long as you didnt order the Edge 2, the Edge should bolt right up to the stock DRZ mount points.

Did you order it from wheeling cycle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Mods namechange to Olde Weird Pro Tip, please

As long as you didnt order the Edge 2, the Edge should bolt right up to the stock DRZ mount points.

Did you order it from wheeling cycle?

I got it from Thumpertalk, since I wanted some other stuff from them as well. Is that good? :ohdear:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Resource posted:

I got it from Thumpertalk, since I wanted some other stuff from them as well. Is that good? :ohdear:

Thats fine, I was just wondering. The original Edge has mounting points to mount right up to all the non-E DRZ's. The Edge 2 is universal and the one that works on the E's

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Skreemer posted:

I have a 2002 Bandit 600 sitting in my garage as well. If you ever have to clean the carbs, grow a 3rd arm/hand or find a buddy that can help you out. I hate "push/pull" throttle cables. One cable is always in the center of the carb and a complete paint to get to.

I have push/pull cables on my bike, but it's not a big deal to get the carbs on and off. v0v

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I did a leakdown test, hoping to find what's causing this idle surge.
Doesn't seem to show any obvious problems unless I'm missing something?

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2012/05/babys-first-leakdown-test.html

What do you mean by "idle surge"? Does it reset to higher RPMs when the bike warms up? Or does it rev up randomly while idling.

Saw your blog post with the darkish plugs, but I would still wager on an air-leak or lean jetting/mixture problem, since those are notorious for idle surges and hanging.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Tamir Lenk posted:

What do you mean by "idle surge"? Does it reset to higher RPMs when the bike warms up? Or does it rev up randomly while idling.

Saw your blog post with the darkish plugs, but I would still wager on an air-leak or lean jetting/mixture problem, since those are notorious for idle surges and hanging.

It revs up randomly when idling, hangs there and drops. I Can get it to hang and stay if I play with the sync screws. I still suspect an intake runner leak despite the evidence against it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Could always wrap the runners in hella duct tape. :eng101:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Splizwarf posted:

Could always wrap the runners in hella duct tape. :eng101:

ha I don't think it's a leak within the runners or I would have spotted it. It's a boot to carb leak most likely.

Also that duct tape would melt.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ha I don't think it's a leak within the runners or I would have spotted it. It's a boot to carb leak most likely.

Also that duct tape would melt.

I, too, recently found a hairline crack in my intake boot. One ghetto test that might help. Warm the bike up riding until you encounter the idle surge/hang. Then see if the carb rack has any play in it, and jiggle it a bit. If the idle reacts to that, you have found the culprit - or at least its whereabouts.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tamir Lenk posted:

I, too, recently found a hairline crack in my intake boot. One ghetto test that might help. Warm the bike up riding until you encounter the idle surge/hang. Then see if the carb rack has any play in it, and jiggle it a bit. If the idle reacts to that, you have found the culprit - or at least its whereabouts.

The carbs on the GL don't work exactly like that. they're pretty bolted in place, and don't wiggle really. I did try lifting a bit with a crowbar and got nothing. Propane, carb spray, etc all yielded nothing.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Please don't try to run that stator. At best, it MIGHT not start a fire.

It's cool, I've just disconnected the stator for now. Pulled the headlight fuse to conserve battery for the few trips I need to make (most notably picking up the new stator).

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They stated specifically that it's not exactly the same thing as an automotive fuel tank. So the results aren't as extreme, but the point is that Ethanol Gas is more hydroscopic than regular gas. So it won't take a year for that gas to go bad, more like a month.

Dumb question, but does higher octane gas go "bad" faster than lower octane? I don't completely understands why/how gas goes bad, but I've cleaned enough carbs to know what old gas smells like.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

velocross posted:

Dumb question, but does higher octane gas go "bad" faster than lower octane? I don't completely understands why/how gas goes bad, but I've cleaned enough carbs to know what old gas smells like.

It depends on how the High Octane is achieved. If they add Ethanol to raise the Knock Index than presumably, yes it might. However I'm pretty sure that's not entirely how most modern fuels are formulated so probably not.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You could have just said "I don't know"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

nsaP posted:

You could have just said "I don't know"

I could have also said lmgtfy

If you want a real answer, please specify a manufacturer/refinery/city+state/gas station barometric pressure, temperature, humidity, and octane rating, as all of these are factors in determining just how or why and when it would "go bad".

The theory behind why Higher Octane gas goes bad faster is that the more volatile "explosive" chemicals evaporate leaving behind heavier and less volatile chemicals.

This is just one of many reasons gas "goes bad".
The others include water impregnation, oxidation, and a bunch of other stuff I could figure out with some google-fu.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The theory behind why Higher Octane gas goes bad faster is that the more volatile "explosive" chemicals evaporate leaving behind heavier and less volatile chemicals.

That's a poor theory, because pure isooctane has a higher boiling point and lower vapor pressure than any of its isomers :confused:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

gently caress I wish I still remember my organic chemistry, all I remember is that everything (slowly) breaks down into more simpler and less energetic molecules and poo poo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

That's a poor theory, because pure isooctane has a higher boiling point and lower vapor pressure than any of its isomers :confused:

I also explained it very poorly so that's mostly my fault, but I also don't understand the reasoning of this explanation. I'm just parroting what I've been told. (hence the "Theory" qualifier.)

I agree I think that reason alone is not a good explanation. Plus if you were (by some godly science-defying act) left with only heptane you would just get pre-detonation or knocking, not the things that are characteristic of "bad gas", such as difficulty starting, stalling, and gummed up fuel lines.

Besides if you think about it... the gas is in a sealed container, wouldn't the lighter vapors condense and still return to the fuel mix?

Besides all the heptane/isooctane/isomers... reasoning, there are other anti-knock agents that are added (for example, 'lead') that influences the Octane rating.

Because of these other agents you can't say that, "because a gas has a higher octane, it will go bad faster." It's not the octane rating, it's the formulation of the fuel, and environmental factors, that determines it's lifespan.

ElMaligno posted:

gently caress I wish I still remember my organic chemistry, all I remember is that everything (slowly) breaks down into more simpler and less energetic molecules and poo poo.
Basically this. Gas is an emulsion of mostly organic compounds, so it's going to change over time, just like the dinosaurs that produced it.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 25, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Well, I noticed oil on my boot after riding to work today, and found out there's oil blowing past the filler cap. I took the cap off, and the o-ring disintegrated. I found another o-ring that was close, but not close enough. That not-close-enough o-ring and some RTV got me to the parts place to get the Genuine Suzuki Oil Filler Cap O-Ring, $2.

Not much oil was lost, but apparently oil mist is much, much grimier than other kinds of oil spillage, as the bike is completely, utterly, filthy from dust from the swingarm pivot back.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Today I went to bleed the clutch on my VFR. I did it. Or I thought I did. It still doesn't clutch right. But at least it fires up without an issue. I'm going to do it again tomorrow, hoping I just didn't get all the air out or something.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Endless Mike posted:

Today I went to bleed the clutch on my VFR. I did it. Or I thought I did. It still doesn't clutch right. But at least it fires up without an issue. I'm going to do it again tomorrow, hoping I just didn't get all the air out or something.

Does the clutch function okay but the lever is just soft?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

When I first found there was a problem, it would clutch properly if I pulled the lever all the way in. Now it doesn't even do that, as far as I can tell. Trying to drop it into first just kills the bike.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

When I first found there was a problem, it would clutch properly if I pulled the lever all the way in. Now it doesn't even do that, as far as I can tell. Trying to drop it into first just kills the bike.

I had this problem right after changing a clutch cable because the clutch release was not fully in position after I installed the new cable.

The clutch (albeit a cable not hydro) felt soft as crap. You could idle it in neutral fine, but if you pulled the clutch and tried to drop into first, it stalled.

I tracked back down the cable, and the clutch release looked to be in place. Then I went to tighten it more and realized that it hadn't really seated properly, so the clutch basically did nothing.

Happily, I just had to loosen the locknut and press the release into the correct position.

To the extent that your bleeding the line involved adjusting the clutch release end, you might have a similar issue to check and fix.

HTH

Edit (with pictures FWIW) - Here is the fiche for the parts I ran into (which will totally differ from your VFR).

No. 7 in the fiche is a lever that you can adjust for clutch cable tension. I had to remove it to install a fresh cable. When I put it back together, it did not seat fully onto it's mate (No. 6). So the clutch cable would move nice and easy because it wasn't really moving the clutch. Shifting in and out of 1st without the engine running is easy with no clutch. So it felt like it was shifting, except that once the engine was running in N, dropping it into 1st happened with no real clutch and stalled out.

If you also had to fiddle with the business end of the clutch line, it may not be fully engaged now, causing the stalling problem.

Tamir Lenk fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 25, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Endless Mike posted:

Mmmm without seeing it I'd say you might have a master/slave cylinder leak. Or possibly a leak at the cylinder.

Here's a couple threads on the issue:

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377641
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=31669.0

The DTT link is about the conversion but there's good info/pics there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Like I said, I'm going to give it another go (rather than watch old dudes on Harleys) and go from there. I really just want to sell the damned thing.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

On my B12 you could get the rack of carbs out of the engine before you had to take the throttle cables off, if you took them out of the right side of the bike.

Is that not the case with the 600?

Two of the four will stick out the side and then you can get your hand in there to get the cables out.

I'm mainly spoiled by the fact my first bike was an '83 GS550 with no airbox. Carbs out adjusted and back in again was literally a 20 - 25 minute job... And the new bandit 1250 has fuel injection.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
And one day you will own a bike that isn't a boring piece of poo poo.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Skreemer posted:

Two of the four will stick out the side and then you can get your hand in there to get the cables out.

You can get them all out if you start by removing the throttle grip from the handlebar.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

n8r posted:

:flame:

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Picked up some new tires for my ride, and I have been riding the absolute crap out of it the last few days. I loved pilot power 2cts on my other bikes, and it looks like I'm also going to love the pilot road 2s as well. Couldn't be any happier with the b-king.

Heres a decently scenic, albeit not particularly curvy, route for anyone interested. I didn't take any pictures, though. I never think to do it :(

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=209791999443773244015.0004c0d2f6cd1d4bf9905&msa=0

This is a picture that someone else took at our ruff ryders (i.e. college students) bike night. The real star of the picture is that 675s beautiful exhaust.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Busy day working on the track SV trying to prep it for the track Memorial Day...
-New brake pads
-flushed brake fluid
-mounted brakes
-new rear sets (thanks Walkin Dude)
-cleaned fuel tank
-mounted clip-ons
-adjusted clutch, new cable
-mounted engine and exhaust
-new oil/filter
-wrapped and put wiring in place
-mounted tail section
-mounted wheels, put tires on Tuesday
-new brake, vacuum and fuel lines
-mounted carbs, new throttle cables

Then went to start it and found out the clutch push rod seal is shot :suicide: The joy of buying a bike in boxes. Looks like another track day riding like a dong on the CRF.

Also messed around on the trials bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

n8r posted:

Do you even ride anything anymore or do you just come here to poo poo on other peoples bikes

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 28, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Do you even ride anything anymore or do you just come here to poo poo on other peoples bikes

As far as I know n8r rides an RD and thus have every right to poo poo on other peoples bikes ;)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
1971 Yamaha R5 that I just wasted $$ for motocarrera pipes and rearsets. Also just swapped out my Falco for a 2000.5 RSVR. This was a terrible decision but the bike is so pretty and has ohlins bling.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

+

=

Cleaned and lubed the chain, along with cleaning and polishing the rest of the bike including wheel rims. I guess the last owner never cleaned the sprocket and stuff connecting to it. The underside of the chain guard was horrible. The sprocket and the thing connecting it to the wheel was black, now its silver.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
I'm trying to think of a chain cleaning procedure where doing it in your living room wouldn't be a disastrous idea.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Legerdemain posted:

I'm trying to think of a chain cleaning procedure where doing it in your living room wouldn't be a disastrous idea.

Remove chain from bike outside, put it in a sealed tupperware container full of paint thinner, bring into your living room, shake around to clean it, go back outside to re-mount and re-lube.

e: don't do this to o-ring chains

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Finally figured out my weird off and on idle problem. There was just a tiny bit of residue on one of the slides that would cause it to periodically not close or open all the way. Pulled the slides and cleaned the gently caress out of them, then lubed the slide tubes with a bit of 3-1 oil.

Buttoned it up and my baby screams like Jon Benet - turn your back for a second, and she's gone!

Of course, it runs great just as the temps get into the high 90's, but I got some riding in the morning before it really heated up.

During the hot days of the long weekend, I managed to finally de-rust that loving tank.

GEAUX TIGERS!

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Tamir Lenk posted:

Finally figured out my weird off and on idle problem. There was just a tiny bit of residue on one of the slides that would cause it to periodically not close or open all the way. Pulled the slides and cleaned the gently caress out of them, then lubed the slide tubes with a bit of 3-1 oil.

Buttoned it up and my baby screams like Jon Benet - turn your back for a second, and she's gone!

Of course, it runs great just as the temps get into the high 90's, but I got some riding in the morning before it really heated up.

During the hot days of the long weekend, I managed to finally de-rust that loving tank.

GEAUX TIGERS!
Man I've been drooling over your bike on the gsresourses for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

kenny powerzzz posted:

Man I've been drooling over your bike on the gsresourses for awhile.

Oh Hai, GSR buddy.