Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hi why is this thread in yospos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Creature
Jul 25, 2007

Illuminati by Nature posted:

Myself and the better half will be in Lisbon for the last day of Optimus Alive, we'll be in town from Saturday till Tuesday but we haven't booked an apartment yet. What areas should I aim to stay at/avoid? Does anyone have a recommendation for a site to book the apartment through? We've liked most of the places on here but we don't know if there's somewhere better out there. Our budget for the apartment is about 300 Euro for the 5 days.

Avoid the Intendente area. Martin Moniz is less shady than it used to be but if you have the option, stay somewhere else. From the site you linked i would probably pick the Funky House 2 one in São Pedro de Alcântara.
I lived near that place for some years and it's quite nice. Right next to Bairro Alto for the nightlife without actually being in it so you won't be bothered by the street noise when you want to sleep. If you are in Lisbon only for the Optimus Alive festival then from that site pick the Belém area.

Evil Creature fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 19, 2012

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
So i originally had 5 nights planned in Warsaw, but it's so drat expensive because of Euro 2012 that I think I might just stay a few nights. I figure I can use the extra few days to take a slower path down to Krakow and maybe see some cool stuff outside those big cities. Anyone have any suggestions for paths to take or cities to see between Warsaw and Krakow?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Hey, I've never been to Paris and I'm honestly not that interested in the typical tourist spots, but I've read a lot of Henry Miller and Hemingway and am interested in finding places like the Villa Seurat(whether or not there's actually anything to do there) and anything to do with writers from around 1920.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Laminator posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for paths to take or cities to see between Warsaw and Krakow?
Not really. I mean, Czestochowa has some old stuff some people find mildly interesting, but it's nothing spectacular, and most other places between Warsaw and Krakow are dreary as gently caress. You're best off either making off to Krakow earlier, or going to Wroclaw for a day, which isn't on the way to Krakow per se.

Edit: Kazimierz Dolny is a fairly nice place to drop by for half a day. Lublin has an OK old town; Sandomierz is a nice town with tons of history.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 20, 2012

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I'm going to Cork, Ireland for 6 weeks in a couple months (from the first week of July to the second week of August). It's on a study abroad program, but it's a fairly lax program with 3 day weekends and classes only from 9 AM - noon to give us time to be tourists.

What are some must-sees? Newgrange, Aran Islands, Gougane Barra, Cashel, Cahir, Ormond, Kinsale, and Dingle Peninsula are already on the list (a lot of those are group excursions), but I'd like some advice on what to see outside of these things. I'm more interested in places with historical or cultural value rather than nightlife or whatnot, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Although we have the option to go around wherever we want in Europe, I'm primarily interested in staying in Ireland and soaking up as much of the culture and the country as I can. :)

Edit: Also, if anyone has any 'I wish I knew that before I flew over the ocean' advice, that would be welcome, too. And I will not be renting a car, so places that I can get to via public transit would be handy.

Kerafyrm fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 22, 2012

Alkazard.exe
Mar 25, 2008
^^ How much are you looking at spending?
You'll want to stop by Cliffs of Moher, Kilkenny (history, castles, etc). If you like scenery you can do a day trip around the Ring of Kerry, also the Burren area. The Blarney stone/the "park"(I guess that's what you'd call it) surrounding is pretty awesome and a typical must do in Ireland.

If you have money/a week free you can do one of the tours around, as well.

Eyeneedle
May 13, 2012
I'm planning to explore Austria and Slovenia while also making trips to Prague, Venice and maybe Budapest. I have a whole 17 days to do it.

Since all the places are so closeby, do I just use trains or should I be looking at flights? Also are those passes sold by Rail Europe worth it? I've heard that they aren't worth the cost.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Alkazard.exe posted:

^^ How much are you looking at spending?
You'll want to stop by Cliffs of Moher, Kilkenny (history, castles, etc). If you like scenery you can do a day trip around the Ring of Kerry, also the Burren area. The Blarney stone/the "park"(I guess that's what you'd call it) surrounding is pretty awesome and a typical must do in Ireland.

If you have money/a week free you can do one of the tours around, as well.

Cliffs of Moher were one of the most amazing sights I've ever seen. Also that place on the coast with hexagonal stone pillars was nice - can't remember the name. Giant's staircase? Giant's causeway?

Jhoge
Sep 10, 2008
I'm going to be spending six weeks this summer studying in and around Leiden and The Hague this summer, and I'm looking for good places to eat or drinking either place. I have a ton of Amsterdam recommendations from this thread, but I'm wondering where I can go for a good international student bar, or a nice place with a great beer list within biking distance of Leiden University.

I've also heard The Hague has great Indonesian food, and recommendations on restaurants from those who've been/live there?

Otherwise I'm open to any kind of recommendation for places to visit in either city. I ran a couple quick searches on google to try and find any other posts in this thread on either place, but I couldn't find anything. If there's something I missed, feel free to just link me to it.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Jhoge posted:

I'm going to be spending six weeks this summer studying in and around Leiden and The Hague this summer, and I'm looking for good places to eat or drinking either place. I have a ton of Amsterdam recommendations from this thread, but I'm wondering where I can go for a good international student bar, or a nice place with a great beer list within biking distance of Leiden University.

Try here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2332955&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1905
There is a Leiden crew in there.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop

Kerafyrm posted:

I'm going to Cork, Ireland for 6 weeks in a couple months (from the first week of July to the second week of August). It's on a study abroad program, but it's a fairly lax program with 3 day weekends and classes only from 9 AM - noon to give us time to be tourists.

What are some must-sees? Newgrange, Aran Islands, Gougane Barra, Cashel, Cahir, Ormond, Kinsale, and Dingle Peninsula are already on the list (a lot of those are group excursions).

DINGLE, DINGLE, DINGLE.

I grew up there. It is gorgeous and everyone is super friendly and lovely. Here's my advice.

- Make sure you go see Fungi in a boat, and bring warm clothes because even if it's a hot sunny day it'll be chilly out there with the wind! (well, I am.)
- I'd skip Gallarus as it's just a little structure in the middle of a field, but if you're into ancient structures from the 7th or 8th century then maybe you might like it.
- Order the 'hangover cure' calzone pizza in the Blue Zone - it's the wine bar upstairs opposite the church on green street (next to Dick Macks), drink wine and sit at the bar, or eat icecream from Murphy's Ice cream next to Garveys which is literally award winning.
- Go have coffee, tea, cake, or lunch in Béile Le Chéile in Dick Mack's yard - my dad's partner owns it, wonderful cupcakes in particular, got written up in the Irish independent.
- Go to the Droichead Beag (it's yellow) at the bottom of Main Street to see some live music, almost every night. Sometimes it's jazz or whatever so check if you want DA FULL IRISH EXPERIENCE.
- Best fish and chips ever next to Garvey's supermarket - it's called the Reel Dingle Fish co. Portions are gigantic. Fish is divine. Brilliant chips.
- Go to Slea Head Drive in the car, it's beautiful. Try to see Clogher beach [in the pic], Couminnoule, the Blasket Islands, and Inch (though this is on your way to Dingle from Tralee/Killarney, and not on the Slea Head Drive)

My personal preferences follow:
DO NOT DRINK IN: The dingle pub (tourist trap), the hillgrove (awful awful nightclub)
DO DRINK IN: MacCarthys, The Droichead, Dick Macks (well those are my favourites)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I totally agree with the Dingle recommendation, it's a gorgeous area and there's lots to do. If you head further up north, Galway is a fun town with lots of music (BTW you should also watch The Guard, if you haven't already) and beyond that are more amazing sea cliffs, the Slieve League in Co. Donegal.

ed: and why won't you rent a car? It's good value if you have a least 3 people and even just going from point of interest to point of interest on a road map was pretty fun. Public transportation in Ireland is... sub-par, to put it very gently.

greazeball fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 23, 2012

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
Ooh Dingle is really nice. I'd really recommend, if you have a week/weekend free, renting a car and a house out in the backarse of kerry and doing a tour of the whole county. Dingle, the Beara Peninsula, there's loads of lovely places out there. Take a trip out to see the Blasket Islands, one of which was owned by a former (and extremely corrupt) head of the country as a holiday home.

I'd also recommend Cork city. It's kind of ugly, but there's a lot of really cool stuff to do and actually pretty great food. Plus you can get a cheap train out to Fota wildlife park and Cobh.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Welp! Got my company approval and my plane tickets booked. I leave for Germany on July 8th.

Anyone got any good suggestions for Expat health insurance? I'm planning on at least 1-2 years assuming my residence permit is approved.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
Well, my France trip is coming up shortly--less than a month to go now!

Can anyone give me good nightlife recommendations for Paris and Nice? I'd love to go to clubs with good house/techno at some point on my trip.

DirtyDirt
Apr 27, 2005
Chairman Of The Bored
Not sure about Nice but when I was in Paris I saw some good shows like Sebastian from Ed Banger records and Lunice/Brenmar. I used the blog Ten Days In Paris to keep up to date with shows. The Social Club in Montmartre was good.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Internet access is pretty random at the moment, so it may take a while to reply to replies.

I may to need to go to the UK in the future, and if so I'm looking for the cheapest way possible. Trains all over Europe are awesome, but they definitely aren't cheap. I'm currently in Italy near Turin and would be willing to go to Germany if that made things easier.

Right now I'm thinking about a ride share such as those offered on mitfahrgelegenheit.de I've used it many times, and it's great, but I want a plan b just in case nobody is going that way when I need to go. I've talked to some people have bused from Italy to London for cheap, but that was like 10 years ago :/ I have time to plan at the moment, so no rush... for now.

Anybody have any ideas?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Akion posted:

Anyone got any good suggestions for Expat health insurance? I'm planning on at least 1-2 years assuming my residence permit is approved.

I'm with Techniker Krankenkasse, they're ok I guess. Lots of people I know have AOK as their provider as well.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Landsknecht posted:

I'm with Techniker Krankenkasse, they're ok I guess. Lots of people I know have AOK as their provider as well.

Did you apply before arriving in the country or do you need to be in-country to do it?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Akion posted:

Did you apply before arriving in the country or do you need to be in-country to do it?

How much money are you going to make and what is your work situation? If you earn less than €48,000 or so a year and you work for a German company, you have to have public health insurance. I'm also with TK and so far it's been great.

If, however, you are working for an American company, then it might be possible to get private health insurance, which might be cheaper(public health insurance is 15.5% of your salary, split like 58%-42% employee/employer).

For further questions, I would suggest posting in the "Ask Me About Germany" thread, also in A/T (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3205129).

ToyTown Germany also have a lot of info about this stuff (though I don't know if you should regularly post or lurk there. I pretty much just go if I want to look up how to do something (file taxes, register, visa requirements, etc):

http://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Health_insurance_(2007_update)

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 24, 2012

ShaggiusPrime
Aug 30, 2005
Kill my boss, dare I live out the American dream?
Looking for a little advice on train travel in Spain. Will it be an issue to purchase all my tickets when I land in country? I have a ticket from Madrid to Granada, but I need to purchase one from Granada to Valencia and then back to Madrid. I'll be landing in Madrid on the 6th, if I went to the train station the next day will tickets most likely still be available for a Granada to Valencia trip on the 11th? (I think there's only an over-night and a once a day trip between the two)

The Eurail site is pretty poo poo (don't get me started on the Renfe site, I'm not even bothering with that), whenever I've tried to add the Granada - Valencia trip to my cart it just then says my cart is empty.

Basically, better to try and get everything set up now before I go or just get tickets once there?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ShaggiusPrime posted:

Looking for a little advice on train travel in Spain. Will it be an issue to purchase all my tickets when I land in country? I have a ticket from Madrid to Granada, but I need to purchase one from Granada to Valencia and then back to Madrid. I'll be landing in Madrid on the 6th, if I went to the train station the next day will tickets most likely still be available for a Granada to Valencia trip on the 11th? (I think there's only an over-night and a once a day trip between the two)

The Eurail site is pretty poo poo (don't get me started on the Renfe site, I'm not even bothering with that), whenever I've tried to add the Granada - Valencia trip to my cart it just then says my cart is empty.

Basically, better to try and get everything set up now before I go or just get tickets once there?

Honestly, last time I did a trip I purchased in advance and got hosed by a rail strike in Italy (ask me about sleeping on the floor of the train station in Verona!). I'd just as soon do it in country if I did it again.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
I'm in Berlin now with the next three days free to travel where I want. Any really fun things to do in the city or within day-trip range? I've already seen most of the historical stuff and the zoo.
e: I'd also really like to know some good late night stuff to see/do.

Sad Billionaire fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 25, 2012

lucythenomad
Mar 6, 2012
I really liked the GDR Museum the last time I was in Berlin. Mostly about daily life under communism. Very interactive and full of surprises.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I really liked visiting Szczecin in Poland as a day trip, but I probably wouldn't do it if I was only spending three days in Berlin.

Also going on a tour of an underground bunker from WW2: http://berliner-unterwelten.de/tour-1.13.1.html

Alkazard.exe
Mar 25, 2008

moflika posted:

I may to need to go to the UK in the future, and if so I'm looking for the cheapest way possible. Trains all over Europe are awesome, but they definitely aren't cheap. I'm currently in Italy near Turin and would be willing to go to Germany if that made things easier.
Anybody have any ideas?

If you're in no hurry and don't mind chilling out with a book, movies and music, a bus will be the cheapest option, but it'll also be long. Probably in the vicinity of 20~ hours.

Mind you I just did a 10 hour trip in Europe and it really wasn't bad at all. That might be bias following 22 hours on a plane, though. :P

HalfPricePimpSuit
May 26, 2008
I'm traveling to Berlin in September. Any travel insurance suggestions? I didn't buy any the last time I went abroad, but perhaps it's a wise choice this time around?

It seems like every online source is...scammy.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Eyeneedle posted:

I'm planning to explore Austria and Slovenia while also making trips to Prague, Venice and maybe Budapest. I have a whole 17 days to do it.

Since all the places are so closeby, do I just use trains or should I be looking at flights? Also are those passes sold by Rail Europe worth it? I've heard that they aren't worth the cost.
I'm also going to go to Austria, Slovenia and Croatia for 16 days and I'm getting one pass from Eurail. Comparing the actual train fares for 6 days of travelling I'm only saving between 20 or 30 dollars, good enough I think, specially in case of emergency or missing a train.

lucythenomad
Mar 6, 2012

HookShot posted:

Also going on a tour of an underground bunker from WW2: http://berliner-unterwelten.de/tour-1.13.1.html

Seconding this. I went there and it was awesome. (although that was 7-8 years ago, don't know if it has changed.)

Eyeneedle
May 13, 2012

Talas posted:

I'm also going to go to Austria, Slovenia and Croatia for 16 days and I'm getting one pass from Eurail. Comparing the actual train fares for 6 days of travelling I'm only saving between 20 or 30 dollars, good enough I think, specially in case of emergency or missing a train.

Thanks. Any tips on travel within Slovenia? Have you been there before? As far as I understand, it's easy to get around the country by bus.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Schwarbage posted:

I'm in Berlin now with the next three days free to travel where I want. Any really fun things to do in the city or within day-trip range? I've already seen most of the historical stuff and the zoo.
e: I'd also really like to know some good late night stuff to see/do.

Sundays at Berghain are awesome and a great thing to do in Berlin during the summer.

Alkazard.exe
Mar 25, 2008

lucythenomad posted:

Seconding this. I went there and it was awesome. (although that was 7-8 years ago, don't know if it has changed.)

I did this today upon suggestion here, it was.. okay. But it wasn't as awesome as I'd set my expectation of it. Our guide kinda rambled a little bit too much.

lucythenomad
Mar 6, 2012
I hope you weren't too disappointed. Sorry, I only remembered that we went on a school trip to Berlin in, I think, 2005, and the underground bunker tour was the best part of our trip. Maybe they have a different guide now or something.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Eyeneedle posted:

Thanks. Any tips on travel within Slovenia? Have you been there before? As far as I understand, it's easy to get around the country by bus.
Sorry, it will be my first time there too, so I don't really know much besides what I can read on the Internet. The country is not that big, so I assume the same as you, it should be easy to move around.

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
Yeah the bus service is decent and cheap enough. Trains are generally ok too, although that said I had my train crash at the station before me, necessitating a 26 hour 3 bus 5 train marathon to Paris. So there's that.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

Alkazard.exe posted:

If you're in no hurry and don't mind chilling out with a book, movies and music, a bus will be the cheapest option, but it'll also be long. Probably in the vicinity of 20~ hours.

Mind you I just did a 10 hour trip in Europe and it really wasn't bad at all. That might be bias following 22 hours on a plane, though. :P

Yeah, I'm probably going to bus it. I've got my Kindle and music, so I should be fine. Even though it'll be 20+ hours it'll probably still beat sleeping in a casket (sleeper bus) for 12 hours in SE Asia.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

HalfPricePimpSuit posted:

I'm traveling to Berlin in September. Any travel insurance suggestions? I didn't buy any the last time I went abroad, but perhaps it's a wise choice this time around?

It seems like every online source is...scammy.

Wondering the same thing. From some cursory googling, it seems like travel insurance is basically a waste of money if you have the funds to go on the trip in the first place.

The only thing I'm concerned about is if you need to seek medical care in Europe. I'm not predicting anything will go wrong, but being a medical student, I can't help but think that I'm going to come down with a case of shigellosis or something ridiculous. I know that medical care is good for European residents, but what about travelers?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Exactly the same? It's not like we have separate hospitals for foreigners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkazard.exe
Mar 25, 2008

lucythenomad posted:

I hope you weren't too disappointed. Sorry, I only remembered that we went on a school trip to Berlin in, I think, 2005, and the underground bunker tour was the best part of our trip. Maybe they have a different guide now or something.

It really wasn't bad, I just think I set my expectations too high. I think the tour guide might've played a part in it, he spent most of the time relating everything to Shakespeare and the Eurocup this year(wut?). The content itself was cool, but I would've rathered pay to walk through there myself.

Travel insurance^^^
As said above: The only real reason, imo, to get travel insurance is medical. So depending where you go, how long, and how prone to broken bones and deathly diseases you are it's probably not worth it.