Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Does Google Listen not load old episodes for anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

niethan posted:

Google Listen is abandoned.

Edit: Holy poo poo it got an update! 5 months ago.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 25, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

niethan posted:

In the update that Maker of Shoes mentioned they added a limit to how far back you can go effectively cutting me off from two WTFs I'd been saving. Thanks, Google. :(

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
So what's an alternative, I don't really like podkicker's interface compared to listen's?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

niethan posted:

So what's an alternative, I don't really like podkicker's interface compared to listen's?

Pocket Casts

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Probably my most used app and it's utterly fantastic.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Probably my most used app and it's utterly fantastic.

Except for the widget. At least of it's on Widgetlocker. That thing works correctly less than half of the time.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Thanks this us great!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hooah posted:

Except for the widget. At least of it's on Widgetlocker. That thing works correctly less than half of the time.

It plugs in with ICS's stock lock screen with touch controls rather nicely but yes, the actual widget itself is pretty bad.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Am I crazy, or is there no actual way to get a file from Google Drive to a local folder on my phone? There's no simple "copy" functionality...I assume this is part of Google's effort to "do away" with file explorers and such on Android?

I just have an mp3 I want to use for a ringtone, so I uploaded it to Drive from my PC, thinking it would be easier than the whole "USB Storage" multi-step process. But even though I made the file accessible "offline" from Drive, I didn't see it in the file explorer when I was trying to select a ringtone...there isn't just a "Google Drive" folder near as I can tell...so where the Hell is it keeping all those files?

And then I tried a workaround by sending it from Drive to Dropbox, since Dropbox does have a folder that functions as a regular local folder, but every time I tried to send from Drive to Dropbox it said upload failed in Dropbox.

So now the process has been about twenty times longer than just using USB Storage mode would have been.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

So now the process has been about twenty times longer than just using USB Storage mode would have been.

But it's on the cloud, maaaan. Doesn't it feel better to not actually control your data?

Kidding aside, the paradox that we have ever-increasing amounts of easily portable local storage at our fingertips while at the same time are engaged in a stampede to shove as much information as possible into remote servers will never stop baffling me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Midjack posted:

But it's on the cloud, maaaan. Doesn't it feel better to not actually control your data?

Kidding aside, the paradox that we have ever-increasing amounts of easily portable local storage at our fingertips while at the same time are engaged in a stampede to shove as much information as possible into remote servers will never stop baffling me.

What's baffling about it?

You can have terabytes of local storage, but for many people that is minimally useful unless they just want that data on one device.

Even if you just want your data on one device or don't mind manually copying data everywhere, it shouldn't be baffling that others prefer the convenience of available-anywhere storage.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I suppose it's only a matter of time until someone releases a 'cloud phone', where literally everything on the device is synced up with cloud storage.

We've had that one Facebook phone from HTC, bring on the Dropbox phone.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

What's baffling about it?

You can have terabytes of local storage, but for many people that is minimally useful unless they just want that data on one device.

Even if you just want your data on one device or don't mind manually copying data everywhere, it shouldn't be baffling that others prefer the convenience of available-anywhere storage.

I argue if it's on an SD card in my pocket it's as "available anywhere" as it is if I have to download an install a client, log in, wait for the download, and hope there's not a storage or network outage. Don't get me wrong, the cloud storage providers have their uses, but they'll never be a panacea.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Am I crazy, or is there no actual way to get a file from Google Drive to a local folder on my phone? There's no simple "copy" functionality...I assume this is part of Google's effort to "do away" with file explorers and such on Android?

I just have an mp3 I want to use for a ringtone, so I uploaded it to Drive from my PC, thinking it would be easier than the whole "USB Storage" multi-step process. But even though I made the file accessible "offline" from Drive, I didn't see it in the file explorer when I was trying to select a ringtone...there isn't just a "Google Drive" folder near as I can tell...so where the Hell is it keeping all those files?

And then I tried a workaround by sending it from Drive to Dropbox, since Dropbox does have a folder that functions as a regular local folder, but every time I tried to send from Drive to Dropbox it said upload failed in Dropbox.

I don't think there is a way to move a file from Drive to local storage.

I had a movie file on Drive to watch via MX Player on my phone. For some reason, the file didn't want to play while streaming so I tried to move it over to my phone first. It just didn't work.

I think, for this reason, Dropbox will still be needed on my phone vs JUST Drive.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's basically the same process as Dropbox.

In google drive:
-find your item.
-Make available offline.
File explorer of your choice:
-Navigate to
/sdcard/Android/Data/com.google.android.apps.docs/files/pinned_docs_files_do_not_edit/
-Go through your unhelpfully named folders until you work out which one contains the file you want
-Copy file from folder to desired location.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
You can also move files from Drive easily in ES File Explorer.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Midjack posted:

I argue if it's on an SD card in my pocket it's as "available anywhere" as it is if I have to download an install a client, log in, wait for the download, and hope there's not a storage or network outage. Don't get me wrong, the cloud storage providers have their uses, but they'll never be a panacea.

Yes, I get that. I was just saying I don't see how it was "baffling".

You point out that you have to install a client and whatnot, but that's a one-time thing (theoretically). Every time you want something off of your phone you have to take it out, plug it in to your PC, open Explorer, blah blah blah.

While cloud storage isn't a panacea yet, I don't understand how you can't see how for some users and providers its something they really want. Storing everything on your phone isn't a panacea, either.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Is there an app that will give you the definition of a word by clicking on it? Sort of like what the kindle can do when reading ebooks or so I'm told.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You can also move files from Drive easily in ES File Explorer.

This. Also works with Skydrive and DropBox. I love ES so much.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Master Stur posted:

Is there an app that will give you the definition of a word by clicking on it? Sort of like what the kindle can do when reading ebooks or so I'm told.

Do you mean universally? Like, any app you're in, you just click on a word and it defines it? I can't imagine this would be feasible.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

How does this measure up against BeyondPod? I'm sort of annoyed at all the new updates for BeyondPod being terrible, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort to transfer all my podcasts over and that.

If it can subscribe to itunes podcasts then I'm sold. For whatever reason, when subscribing to an iTunes formatted feed, beyond pod doesn't let me download any of the mp3s. If I gently caress around for a while, it might take me to my browser which opens the link to the mp3, but then there's no point of having a podcast organiser.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Do you mean universally? Like, any app you're in, you just click on a word and it defines it? I can't imagine this would be feasible.

I didn't think so but my friend insisted I try to find one. I think they just want it for ebooks or pdf files or web browsing if that's possible.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Master Stur posted:

I didn't think so but my friend insisted I try to find one. I think they just want it for ebooks or pdf files or web browsing if that's possible.

Well, for ebooks (and possibly PDFs, I'm not positive and PDFs generally suck on Android anyway), Moon+ Reader can do this. I'm not sure any browsers have this but he can just open up a new tab to google.com and type define [word].

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.
I have a galaxy S2 777. Is there an app that will let me wake up the phone/access my lock screen without having to press the side button? So far I've only been able to find this one (here) but my type of phone isn't on their approved devices list

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Philo posted:

I have a galaxy S2 777. Is there an app that will let me wake up the phone/access my lock screen without having to press the side button? So far I've only been able to find this one (here) but my type of phone isn't on their approved devices list

What do you want to press to wake the screen? Having any of the capacitive buttons wake the phone would keep the phone in a constant state of awake and murder your battery.

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What do you want to press to wake the screen? Having any of the capacitive buttons wake the phone would keep the phone in a constant state of awake and murder your battery.

I guess the answer to your question is "I don't know." The options I've seen in the app store involve shaking/flipping/activating the proximity sensor, but none of the ones I've installed seem to work on mine. The issue is that the case I have on my phone interferes with the power button.

Edit: gently caress it, just got to get a new case

Philo fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 27, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Shanakin posted:

File explorer of your choice:
-Navigate to
/sdcard/Android/Data/com.google.android.apps.docs/files/pinned_docs_files_do_not_edit/

Ahhh, there's the rub...I was looking for a folder called "Drive" or "Google Drive" not something entirely unintuitive.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Philo posted:

I guess the answer to your question is "I don't know." The options I've seen in the app store involve shaking/flipping/activating the proximity sensor, but none of the ones I've installed seem to work on mine. The issue is that the case I have on my phone interferes with the power button.

Can you take a knife to it and alleviate your problem?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ahhh, there's the rub...I was looking for a folder called "Drive" or "Google Drive" not something entirely unintuitive.

Haven't you been on Android long enough to know better than this? :raise:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Just add Drive as a "Net" account in ES File Explorer. No need to fiddle with that ridiculous folder crap.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah it's pretty terrible. only reason I know it is because I had to do the same thing with dropbox recently (which fortunately is at least named com.dropbox or something). Pretty sure the intention for them is that you don't need to access them outside of the original app. Which is stupid.

But yeah, once I found the ES explorer net service thing it makes the whole process a lot smoother.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Well, for ebooks (and possibly PDFs, I'm not positive and PDFs generally suck on Android anyway), Moon+ Reader can do this. I'm not sure any browsers have this but he can just open up a new tab to google.com and type define [word].

Hopefully that'll do for them then, thanks!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So Comcast Xfinity finally released their streaming app for Android, and god drat is it sweet. It includes HBO and Showtime if you have subs for them. It asked me for root permission though. Wha?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Probably erroneous. I've seen it happen once in a blue moon with non root specific apps.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

explosivo posted:

So Comcast Xfinity finally released their streaming app for Android, and god drat is it sweet. It includes HBO and Showtime if you have subs for them. It asked me for root permission though. Wha?

Could be like netflix (used?) to do and check for root, if it was a rooted device it would refuse to let you watch stuff. I guess it was just one of the DRM checks.

Figures, I switch from Comcast and they get all these goodies. Now I use Charter and it's like going back to a provider from 1994..yeesh.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Could be like netflix (used?) to do and check for root, if it was a rooted device it would refuse to let you watch stuff. I guess it was just one of the DRM checks.

Figures, I switch from Comcast and they get all these goodies. Now I use Charter and it's like going back to a provider from 1994..yeesh.

I accepted it and it still works for me.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anyone having problems with Be weather widgets? Mine crash after a phone restart and often freeze especially when using BW skins. Running 4.04 GSM Galaxy Nexus. I submitted a crash report and support ticket so hopefully something comes of it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Anyone having problems with Be weather widgets? Mine crash after a phone restart and often freeze especially when using BW skins. Running 4.04 GSM Galaxy Nexus. I submitted a crash report and support ticket so hopefully something comes of it.

BeWeather in general just became unusable on my phone today and I don't even use widgets.

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009

Megaspel posted:

How does this measure up against BeyondPod? I'm sort of annoyed at all the new updates for BeyondPod being terrible, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort to transfer all my podcasts over and that.

If it can subscribe to itunes podcasts then I'm sold. For whatever reason, when subscribing to an iTunes formatted feed, beyond pod doesn't let me download any of the mp3s. If I gently caress around for a while, it might take me to my browser which opens the link to the mp3, but then there's no point of having a podcast organiser.

As a previous BeyondPod lover, other than syncing with Google Reader Pocket Casts is better in pretty much every other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

spincube posted:

I suppose it's only a matter of time until someone releases a 'cloud phone', where literally everything on the device is synced up with cloud storage.

We've had that one Facebook phone from HTC, bring on the Dropbox phone.

The original SideKick had everything in the cloud -- even contacts and pictures. When Danger finally shut off the servers, 6 black dudes in Detroit lost everything.

• Locked thread