Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

DangerKat posted:

I am also in on this, PSN: DangerKat5000

I should have a lot of free time this weekend (not very typical!), too.

Added you and davebo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I've been playing this again lately too. I'll probably be on sometime this weekend.

PSN ID: Dexappeal

ratattack
Dec 22, 2005

squeak
Let's have a cowboy party.
Add me I need friends.
PSN: valleyofdoom

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Do you guys use mics at all aka should I finally pick one up?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

DangerKat posted:

Do you guys use mics at all aka should I finally pick one up?

It's not required but yeah the goons I've played with all used them. It's more for having fun than strategizing.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Even if that weren't the case, I feel obligated to send you a friend request now.

Heh, Doctor Nutt and Doctor Butts. It was meant to be, now you've got to make it happen.

titties
May 10, 2012

fennesz posted:

Heh, Doctor Nutt and Doctor Butts. It was meant to be, now you've got to make it happen.

I have a non-goon friend named Dr_Penetrator. I'll have to see if he's still playing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

davebo posted:

I'm happy to join up if someone needs some specific trophies and just wants to futz around. I get bored quickly grinding a hideout for levels though. Co-op missions are the best.
psn: davebo

Yeah, I think this is the reason I don't touch the multiplayer. We should get a posse and terrorize other people or go exploring or something, that sounds like a lot of fun and something I have been unable to do.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
Yea, I almost exclusively played co-op (and advanced co-op) when I was really into the game. I'm pretty much down for whatever though. Zombies is fine with me for sure.

titties
May 10, 2012

Now I'm reminded why I quit playing. I had a great playthrough where I had completed all the challenges that didn't require you to access the plains area and had made great progress on unlocking the outfits.

I played for close to 20 hours just hunting and travelling, waiting for the nun to show up with the Obscuridad del Santo Andres but she never showed up. I have it on all my other playthroughs. Eventually I deleted all saves in a fit of drunken (or synthetics-induced) anger and started over from scratch.

It's been almost a year since I last played, and I find myself needing 2 boars for one of the hunting challenges. The one time I get boars to spawn, I get killed by a mountain lion. I reloaded 7 times and never saw another boar.

E: Apparently the voice actor for Landon Ricketts died last year.

titties fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 26, 2012

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

titties posted:

It's been almost a year since I last played, and I find myself needing 2 boars for one of the hunting challenges. The one time I get boars to spawn, I get killed by a mountain lion. I reloaded 7 times and never saw another boar.

If you are not playing the game in total fear of mountain cats, you are not playing the game right.

titties
May 10, 2012

The lovely part is killing cougars with a knife. I managed to do it on one of my other playthroughs, but haven't been able to do it since.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
It's me! I'm the lame rear end who's never played the game and wants to play some MP.

PSN: Static_Rook

I'm finishing off Skyrim this weekend, but anytime next week in the evening is good for me. Like, post 6pm Central Time. I don't have a mic and can't afford one in the near future, are there in-game generic responses? So if someone said, "Hey, we're going here and shooting this guy," I could acknowledge it?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

titties posted:

The lovely part is killing cougars with a knife. I managed to do it on one of my other playthroughs, but haven't been able to do it since.

What you have to do is lasso the cougar, then while it's tied up, run up and knife it once or twice, then run away and lasso again, and repeat until dead. Same with the bears.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Edit: ^^ I think i did the cougar knifing from horseback and just kept riding past it quickly. I think the knife will reach it even from horseback.

Static Rook posted:

It's me! I'm the lame rear end who's never played the game and wants to play some MP.

I'm finishing off Skyrim this weekend, but anytime next week in the evening is good for me. Like, post 6pm Central Time. I don't have a mic and can't afford one in the near future, are there in-game generic responses? So if someone said, "Hey, we're going here and shooting this guy," I could acknowledge it?

No, you'll have to learn to communicate with your multiplayer character's random catch phrases. For instance when my crazy french whore says "I know you want me. You want my body AAAughaaaughhhaaaa!" that means lets go hunt cougars.

Seriously though, when I would play online with one friend who didn't have a mic and it was just the two of us, I'd have to come up with stuff like "Okay, if you want to go do that nearby hideout shoot your gun in the air. If you want to kill some bears spin around clockwise." Then he'd shoot my horse in the head. If you're playing in a large group and you're the one without a mic, you basically have no say in what happens and just have to follow everyone else.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'll play. PSN is DocFuzz.

For me in MP I could never feet the named boar to spawn down by the river despite hours of trying, so I gave up

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
I'd love to posse up with some goons again, it's been like a year and a half since I've done that. PSN: Unclecaveman69

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

What you have to do is lasso the cougar, then while it's tied up, run up and knife it once or twice, then run away and lasso again, and repeat until dead. Same with the bears.

You can also shoot them a little (like, once) to shave off some health and make it easier. Just don't shoot them in the face.

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.
Would I need Undead Nightmare or whatever it's called to play MP with you guys? I never got around to buying it and haven't played the Red Dead MP in ages, but time ago I recall having fun loving around with other people as some old coot, and I'd enjoy the hell out of doing it with some goons on the mic.

Haven't played MP yet on the new PS3 so I'd be starting at level 1, but I never cared all too much about the upgrades or horses anyway, and I feel it would only add to the hilarity. Also haven't used the mic in a while, so I'd have to hope that it still picks up my deep voice okay without too much static.

I don't remember which account I have my current Red Dead save file on, so I'll have to edit in my PSN ID later, but I'd definitely be up for some old west dickery as long as I don't need to buy Undead Nightmare.

E: Pssh, and you guys clearly aren't real manly men of the frontier. The only way to take down a cougar is stare it in the eyes as it charges you and hack wildly at the air as it leaps. Bears, okay, nothing wrong with popping a shot or two in its kneecaps before you gut it with your knife-- but c'mon, a cougar's in your weight class, man up and eviscerate it with the same knife you use to shave, pick your teeth and open cans of beans.

GrickleGrass fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 26, 2012

titties
May 10, 2012

Static Rook posted:

The Playstation Eye functions as a mic if you have one. You can also use just about any bluetooth earpiece, USB headset, or like a rock band mic or whatever.

some guys posted:

Cougar knifing techniques

I've tried the lasso trick before, never had much luck with it. It always recovers before I can get close enough.

Shooting its paws works if you can actually catch it once it starts running away. I would get one like this, then get killed by the revenge cougar.

titties fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 26, 2012

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Yeah, tagging a cougar in the leg can help. What I've found is ensuring you're on a flat part of land with no hills to accidentally roll down. From there, dodge the cougar's charge (aim + jump while moving left or right) and chase the gently caress after it. If you can get in a swipe or two with the knife, it may go into retreat mode and you can finish it off.

Just be careful of the aforementioned revenge cougar.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
What time are we thinking for this? I should be around, just don't want to get too engrossed in anything else and miss the posse.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Holy poo poo, you mean I can LASSO cougars? I didn't even think to try that because of the sudden attack/run/attack they pull. Always left me too flustered and spinning trying to spot them. I'll have to start playing the game again sometime just for this.

titties
May 10, 2012

DangerKat posted:

What time are we thinking for this? I should be around, just don't want to get too engrossed in anything else and miss the posse.

I got caught up playing that stupid Stronghold Kingdom mmo. I'll probably jump on here in a minute, but someone else will have to lead the posse because I am terrible and constantly have to step away from the game for a minute here and a minute there.

E: Wow, I didn't realize how far off from local time the timestamp is, I thought you just made that post an hour ago or something.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I might be late for this train but, if the PS Posse still needs a member I'd be glad to help out. PSN is HappyPantsDance

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Played for a little bit this morning with Unclecaveman. We started out doing freeroam and then got involved with some matches with a guy named Big Boss. The guy was crazy good at the game.

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK

Sir Spaniard posted:

Holy poo poo, you mean I can LASSO cougars? I didn't even think to try that because of the sudden attack/run/attack they pull. Always left me too flustered and spinning trying to spot them. I'll have to start playing the game again sometime just for this.

I don't think you can actually lasso a cougar like you can a person or horse. It does stun them for a little bit if you hit them with it, though.

titties
May 10, 2012

Green Puddin posted:

I might be late for this train but, if the PS Posse still needs a member I'd be glad to help out. PSN is HappyPantsDance

We never actually got anything going, but I'm always up to make new internet friends! I'll add you once I finish up my term paper and final, maybe we can get something going in the next few days.

Rascar posted:

I don't think you can actually lasso a cougar like you can a person or horse. It does stun them for a little bit if you hit them with it, though.

Yeah, you can't drag them or hog tie them or anything. They rear up and bat the hell out of the rope for a few seconds :3:

Also, deer don't like to be lassoed

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Been hopping on for the past few days just to kind of explore free roam. Sometimes I will see people playing the game, but I don't want to send an invite because they might be playing single player or something. I have been having fun lately just trying to do hideouts and hardcore free roam tactically instead of trying to speed rush for XP. Also, I love hanging out at that cabin near Tanner's Reach and Tall Trees because tons of cougars spawn there and I try to play it as a survival game.

If you see me online and want to play, send an invite and I will probably stop whatever game I am playing and play Red Dead Redemption instead.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

blackguy32 posted:

Been hopping on for the past few days just to kind of explore free roam. Sometimes I will see people playing the game, but I don't want to send an invite because they might be playing single player or something. I have been having fun lately just trying to do hideouts and hardcore free roam tactically instead of trying to speed rush for XP. Also, I love hanging out at that cabin near Tanner's Reach and Tall Trees because tons of cougars spawn there and I try to play it as a survival game.

If you see me online and want to play, send an invite and I will probably stop whatever game I am playing and play Red Dead Redemption instead.

One the the DLC packs added a hunting hot spot where you actually earn decent xp for murdering cougars while sheepishly perched on top of a roof. It's a great way to just kill time. Like watching a hard drive defragment in the 90's.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

davebo posted:

One the the DLC packs added a hunting hot spot where you actually earn decent xp for murdering cougars while sheepishly perched on top of a roof. It's a great way to just kill time. Like watching a hard drive defragment in the 90's.

I think I have done it. But I like the risk.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I got the undead nightmare disk cheap at eb games on a whim. I had some fun with the undead story and playing the multiplayer. i decided to borrow my friends vanilla version of the game to see the single player. Now its says i don't have a game save on my undead nightmare disk (single player). Does this mean I can only have one game save for this games single player storylines? Would I need to have one game saved on the cloud server, while the other game on my hard drive? I am annoyed losing my game save, and I don't want to lose the progress I made in my vanilla version if I start undead nightmare over again.

I also want to add that this game has hands down the most hilarious drunk reaction. Seeing John fall over dead drunk never gets old. Is it even possible to climb stairs when drunk?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Shnag posted:

Is it even possible to climb stairs when drunk?

When you're that wasted, nothing's impossible. :cheers:

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

The first time I got him drunk he got half way up the stairs. The next times I got him drunk I couldn't even get close to the stairs without him passing out and sobering up. It seems it takes finesse to control a drunk John.

edit: My game save is back,the game must have accidentally selected the hard drive rather than the cloud server.

Shnag fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 1, 2012

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
How many shots does it take you to get drunk? I had like 5 or 6 before thinking he couldn't get drunk....

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

How many shots does it take you to get drunk? I had like 5 or 6 before thinking he couldn't get drunk....

I always thought the magic number was 2

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

you take shots until John almost falls backwards and he leaves the bar on his own. 5 or 6 sound about right, so you may have been just a shot away from seeing John plastered.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I'm thinking of starting my second and only complete playthrough of RDR today since I've only seen the end in spoilers and videos. What DLC adds to the single player? I want the most complete experience possible.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Kilometers Davis posted:

So I'm thinking of starting my second and only complete playthrough of RDR today since I've only seen the end in spoilers and videos. What DLC adds to the single player? I want the most complete experience possible.

The dlc is all for multiplayer except for Undead Nightmare, which is standalone and separate from the main game. So you dont need anything. Maybe play undead nightmare when youre done with the game and want to kill zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Scarf posted:

It's more fun to hog-tie people and throw them in front of it.

The proper way to use the trains is to complete the first half of a bounty mission(kill or capture), then instead of going back to town, just jump on the train and defend it against endless waves of train-robbers!

• Locked thread