Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Saga posted:

As a fellow 'prilier owner, my issue would be waiting for parts (everything seems to come from a hub in France) and that at least for the Tuono, Aprilia just rip the piss with prices. Do you have a good dealer down your way (Devon was it?) - if that's not an oxymoron?

E: sorry, double post, phone posting. :(

I'm in West London and use Harry Nash, they're good for bits and look after you pretty well if you're a regular customer. They do moan about people who they've never seen before who turn up with parts from the internet who want them fitted at reduced labour rates though. Aprilia's parts prices for some things are pretty silly even without markup, but so can Honda's too. At least breaker spares are going to be more common for honda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Saga posted:

Grandpa sigtrap, I don't like it when mommy and daddy fight.

I was going to attribute this to mass menstrual synchronization, but McQueen and I had the same thought at about the same time last night, which I suppose removes all doubt.

Marquess of Queensbury Rules, please, which I think includes leaving the wives out of it.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 26, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Marv Hushman posted:

I was going to attribute this to mass menstrual synchronization, but McQueen and I had the same thought at about the same time last night, which I suppose removes all doubt.

Marquess of Queensbury Rules, please, which I think includes leaving the wives out of it.

Think of it more like an abuse cycle, where egregious infractions and annoying posts are ignored daily. Soon they build up, and something (not even particularly dumb) compels the annoyed to finally speak up and voice their opinion. The hivemind dislikes this, and lashes out right back at it. Ultimately nothing happens because no one bothers to actually read anyone else's posts, and then both sides go back to their corner, waiting to repeat the cycle.

I like z3n, him and others serve a purpose and put in the time helping newbies and answering questions that have been asked a thousand times. I know I see questions that I know the answer to, but I can't be arsed and I know z3n or others will be around shortly to answer it (and likely correct me on some niggling point if I did take the time to post). Unfortunately since they've been the unchecked voice of CA for a while cause other people don't care or don't want the argument, any time someone voices a dissenting opinion it's attacked for not being part of the hivemind.

It's why this place is boring as gently caress unless someone like mootmoot comes along. Anyone with anything original or cool gets nagged and run off, or switches to lurking.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

nsaP posted:

It's why this place is boring as gently caress unless someone like mootmoot comes along. Anyone with anything original or cool gets nagged and run off, or switches to lurking.

The only thing constantly dumped on is the Blast, and that's more a running joke at this point more than actual revilement. The hivemind thing is vastly overblown and the only problem here is people careposting.

Here's a ferret on a bike to sooth everybody's angry, hot nipples.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

Think of it more like an abuse cycle, where egregious infractions and annoying posts are ignored daily. Soon they build up, and something (not even particularly dumb) compels the annoyed to finally speak up and voice their opinion. The hivemind dislikes this, and lashes out right back at it. Ultimately nothing happens because no one bothers to actually read anyone else's posts, and then both sides go back to their corner, waiting to repeat the cycle.

I like z3n, him and others serve a purpose and put in the time helping newbies and answering questions that have been asked a thousand times. I know I see questions that I know the answer to, but I can't be arsed and I know z3n or others will be around shortly to answer it (and likely correct me on some niggling point if I did take the time to post). Unfortunately since they've been the unchecked voice of CA for a while cause other people don't care or don't want the argument, any time someone voices a dissenting opinion it's attacked for not being part of the hivemind.

Yeah you're right.

;)

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Man, the wort thing is living right next to a highway and hearing all these bikes tear-assing up and down every 10 minutes. I wanna goooooo

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

Yeah you're right.

;)
Very clever. You been waiting to do that since my last post?

You know, sometimes we play a game with your posts?

A post will appear on the forum full of triggers that make it obvious there will be a z3n post. People make bets:

• How long till z3n responds (I usually go for reply in less than 5 minutes, I win a lot)
  • How many paragraphs
  • Will z3n bring up his "racing career"
  • Will he try to sell someone some parts?

This was off the top of my head and I know there's a bit more but once again, I can't be arsed.

Edit: Oh, I forgot "Number of times the word "hoon" or "hooligan" is used in various form"...I'll add as I remember them

nsaP fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 26, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

An observer posted:

Man, the wort thing is living right next to a highway and hearing all these bikes tear-assing up and down every 10 minutes. I wanna goooooo

Worse than that is living on a deserted rural road and hearing all the bikes tearing by. STufffffff to do!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Linedance posted:

I'm in West London and use Harry Nash, they're good for bits and look after you pretty well if you're a regular customer. They do moan about people who they've never seen before who turn up with parts from the internet who want them fitted at reduced labour rates though. Aprilia's parts prices for some things are pretty silly even without markup, but so can Honda's too. At least breaker spares are going to be more common for honda.

I've only used In Moto in Croydon, who have every conceivable franchise and also have an absolutely mint RS250 on a plinth in their showroom. They seemed to know what they were doing, but I've only been there once.

I was talking today to Trevor Pope, who used to be an Aprilia dealer. He basically said he liked the products but intimated that he liked dealing with Aprilia rather less. Apparently they made a lot of demands but weren't very good at giving support.

At the risk of igniting another domestic, I borrowed a Duke '4' off him, and I don't know if it's a special UK-only n00b map or something, but while it clearly had the full 67hp (based on the way it pulled past 80mph versus my old Duke '2'), it was a complete pussycat. A lot less sensitive than the Duke 2 to having one end or the other weighted, very low pegs and a fairly smooth delivery. The delivery actually reminded me a lot of the ER series (acceleration + frantic sewing machine noises from down below). Basically a nice city bike, but with incredible agility. He said they've been selling lots of them to new riders who don't want a big, intimidating multi.

The SMC was clearly more in the proper SM mould - high flat seat, a lot more travel, etc. They have one with everything in the hard parts catalogue - very nice if you have 7 grand lying around!

Oh, they had a freeride 350 as well - awesome, but not as trials-like as I had thought. More like a friendly EXC with some concessions to long-distance ridability and Dunlop trials rubber.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

nsaP posted:

Think of it more like an abuse cycle...

Z3n and I have locked horns a couple times, and the only thing for certain is that it was over something ridiculous or misinterpreted. If I ever qualify as a hiveminder, please have me executed.

It may have been lost in the shuffle, but Saga's original post was loving masterful. Advice to the uninitiated should be dispensed with a bias toward keeping them interested and alive. I dont know if the KTM qualifies--there are so many other factors to consider. I do know that you don't have to spend a great deal of money or buy a flagship bike to get something that is probably too skittish and rambunctious for a new hand. Ask Crayvex about the KZ 454 LTD. It's a wonder he still rides...

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

nsaP posted:

A post will appear on the forum full of triggers that make it obvious there will be a z3n post. People make bets:

• How long till z3n responds (I usually go for reply in less than 5 minutes, I win a lot)
  • How many paragraphs

This was off the top of my head and I know there's a bit more but once again, I can't be arsed.

Edit: Oh, I forgot "Number of times the word "hoon" or "hooligan" is used in various form"...I'll add as I remember them

Dungeons And Dragons Web 2.0 SA edition.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

nsaP posted:

Crap, I may have referenced or quoted the late Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon more than once. Oh well, off to pour some tea for two...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Saga posted:

I was talking today to Trevor Pope, who used to be an Aprilia dealer. He basically said he liked the products but intimated that he liked dealing with Aprilia rather less. Apparently they made a lot of demands but weren't very good at giving support.

The two guys who run Harry Nash have said the same sort of thing about Aprilia. Great product, but zero marketing for anything but the Mille so nobody thinks about buying one, and not very good factory support. Compare it to Honda or BMW, who will happily take your money with a smile on their face in exchange for a Genuine Ownership Experience, Piaggio Group has a long way to go. But who wants a Honda or a BMW anyway? How boring! :)

Royale with Cheese
Jul 26, 2006

They wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

As for the Street Triple; It's my dream bike, but I think it'll be a few years before I get my hands on one :)

If you like the Triple but are leaning towards an older 600, keep an eye out for a Triumph Speed Four. The engine takes a little getting used to, but the brakes and suspension are wonderful.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

• How many paragraphs

This is amusing as poo poo. I find it hilarious that there's apparently a group of people are more concerned about my posting than actually talking about bikes.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
So I just got back from Bay Area Moto Shop. What a fantastic idea where motorcyclists can work on their own bikes in a clean environment surrounded by like-minded individuals. Not to mention that they have every tool you could ask for as well as lifts and stands. Initially, I was skeptical of the price because I already have a garage to use although it is incredibly cramped at the moment.

I decided to just stop by and bleed my clutch and brake fluid. Now this is normally something I can do at home but I wanted to use a vacuum bleeder just for the hell of it. I rode up, signed a waiver that said the shop had surveillance in order to prevent theft as well as some insurance liability details. After that, Wilder, the shop owner, opened up a station for me which had a complete set of tools, a lift, desk, stool, etc. Basically like having my own personal shop. The area was well lit and although the floor is concrete, the work areas have a thin layer of carpet.

All in all, I didn't pay a single dime to use the facilities as they only charge for use of a lift. You can use their general work area and tools free of charge although they do welcome donations. I'm just really excited to have found a business such as this. It's $25 for 2 hours on a lift, $50 for all day, and $75 for a monthly pass including free storage of one bike.

http://www.bayareamotoshop.com/index.html Here's their website.

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate

Endless Mike posted:

So here is the Rolling Thunder experience:

First, you go to the Pentagon parking lot and sign in. When you get there determines where in line you go. First in, first out. This means you either get there at the crack of dawn and sit in the relative morning coolness for a few hours OR you get there later and sit in the late morning heat for a few hours. Next, once your place in the ride has finally started, you slowly ride a total of a few miles with less than a dozen corners. Then you're done.

So, I guess if you're okay sitting around in heat that will be approaching 90 degrees, go for it! Otherwise, just find a spot and take some pictures.

I'll be there tomorrow on my burnt orange SV1000. It's a V-Twin, right? Will have a red shoei helmet & GF on the back w/white helmet. Planning on it being a scorcher, but it's a pretty fun ride (every few years) to the extent you're alongside all the DC monuments with people lining the whole ride waving at you. 50th anniversary of the Vietnam war means it's going to be extra large this year. 500k estimates, although I'm pretty sure they say that every year...

Jolci fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 27, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

This is amusing as poo poo. I find it hilarious that there's apparently a group of people are more concerned about my posting than actually talking about bikes.

(No one actually does that dude, just trying to get you to introspect a bit)

Sarcasm is really lost in CA....does ego make people so literal?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
How the hell do you DC people manage to not die in full gear in the summer? I'm going to be moving there in a year and I have no idea how I'd avoid heatstroke every single day.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Marv Hushman posted:

Z3n and I have locked horns a couple times, and the only thing for certain is that it was over something ridiculous or misinterpreted. If I ever qualify as a hiveminder, please have me executed.

It may have been lost in the shuffle, but Saga's original post was loving masterful. Advice to the uninitiated should be dispensed with a bias toward keeping them interested and alive. I dont know if the KTM qualifies--there are so many other factors to consider. I do know that you don't have to spend a great deal of money or buy a flagship bike to get something that is probably too skittish and rambunctious for a new hand. Ask Crayvex about the KZ 454 LTD. It's a wonder he still rides...

By virtue of riding a Harley you are an eternal outsider, a lone sheep. You have your sanctuary in the HOG thread, but even that can get swarmed.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Z3n posted:

Clearly no one does this. He's just making a point that you're trite, predictable and boring.

Like you and that guy with the Oscar the Grouch avatar.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

EvilCrayon posted:

So I just got back from Bay Area Moto Shop. What a fantastic idea where motorcyclists can work on their own bikes in a clean environment surrounded by like-minded individuals. Not to mention that they have every tool you could ask for as well as lifts and stands. Initially, I was skeptical of the price because I already have a garage to use although it is incredibly cramped at the moment.

I decided to just stop by and bleed my clutch and brake fluid. Now this is normally something I can do at home but I wanted to use a vacuum bleeder just for the hell of it. I rode up, signed a waiver that said the shop had surveillance in order to prevent theft as well as some insurance liability details. After that, Wilder, the shop owner, opened up a station for me which had a complete set of tools, a lift, desk, stool, etc. Basically like having my own personal shop. The area was well lit and although the floor is concrete, the work areas have a thin layer of carpet.

All in all, I didn't pay a single dime to use the facilities as they only charge for use of a lift. You can use their general work area and tools free of charge although they do welcome donations. I'm just really excited to have found a business such as this. It's $25 for 2 hours on a lift, $50 for all day, and $75 for a monthly pass including free storage of one bike.

http://www.bayareamotoshop.com/index.html Here's their website.

Why can't we have nice stuff like this in Atlanta? I swear, I'd be twenty times better about maintaining my vehicles if I had a well lit garage with air conditioning.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mootmoot posted:

Clearly no one does this. He's just making a point that you're trite, predictable and boring.

Maybe if you listened to some "trite, predictable and boring" advice you wouldn't have crashed your bike twice in the last, what, 3 months?

nsaP posted:

(No one actually does that dude, just trying to get you to introspect a bit)

Sarcasm is really lost in CA....does ego make people so literal?
Honestly, I'm here because I like the fact that 95% of the people here listen to solid advice. Then you have the other 5%, who are people like mootmoot, JTS, and the IRC people who are idiots (although amusing ones) or spend their time bitching about other people's posting.

When people stop coming back to say "hey thanks that really helped me out", then I'll start to introspect a bit about my posting.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 27, 2012

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Z3n posted:

Maybe if you listened to some "trite, predictable and boring" advice you wouldn't have crashed your bike twice in the last, what, 3 months?

Honestly, I'm here because I like the fact that 95% of the people here listen to solid advice. Then you have the other 5%, who are people like mootmoot, JTS, and the IRC people who are idiots (although amusing ones) or spend their time bitching about other people's posting.

When people stop coming back to say "hey thanks that really helped me out", then I'll start to introspect a bit about my posting.

You have played a large part in turning this subforum totally PG.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mootmoot posted:

So how many more times do you have to crash before you consider the forums rated R?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

mootmoot posted:

Come back to irc bro.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

That's loving awesome. Even though I finally have a garage, I'm tempted to go there the next time I have something to do.

Edit: Maybe they should stock and sell consumables like oil, oil filters, brake pads, brake fluid, tires, chains, etc. Along with common or non-model-specific parts / accessories. It would be convenient for their customers, and I wonder if they can stay in business with their current model (for example, you got your stuff done for free).

frunksock fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 27, 2012

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

frunksock posted:

That's loving awesome. Even though I finally have a garage, I'm tempted to go there the next time I have something to do.

Edit: Maybe they should stock and sell consumables like oil, oil filters, brake pads, brake fluid, tires, chains, etc. Along with common or non-model-specific parts / accessories. It would be convenient for their customers, and I wonder if they can stay in business with their current model (for example, you got your stuff done for free).

Ahh, forget to mention that but they actually carry oil filters, oil, brake fluid, etc. for little to no mark-up. They carry generic brand stuff for when you don't care and then premium stuff from amsoil. Having a place to throw away my dirty fluids free of charge makes me feel good too.

As far as the charge, I felt really bad not donating any money but I didn't have any cash on me. I am planning on going again tomorrow just to donate and play with their awesome dog. They do offer classes on maintenance which I think is a great alternative to motorcycle tech programs at CCSF as the hours are always really weird.

The owner said most weekends they are really packed and actually need volunteers to help out since it's a one man show most days. Today though, it was pretty empty and I was able to just work quietly in the corner. I am looking to volunteer which would bring it down to $40 a month.

EvilCrayon fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 27, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The worst part is most of the "IRC KREW" never really posts except to complain, bitch, or make incredibly snarky remarks.

Say what you want about z3n and the length of his posts, but he's talking about motorcycles in a motorcycle subforum. Something I cannot believe people get pissed about.

We all (ALL) have our things we harp on or cant stop talking about (look in my CA post history for a certain 3 letter model of Suzuki), its not like he's the only one.

Mootmoot, please stay around because you're hilarious.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Jolci posted:

I'll be there tomorrow on my burnt orange SV1000. It's a V-Twin, right? Will have a red shoei helmet & GF on the back w/white helmet. Planning on it being a scorcher, but it's a pretty fun ride (every few years) to the extent you're alongside all the DC monuments with people lining the whole ride waving at you. 50th anniversary of the Vietnam war means it's going to be extra large this year. 500k estimates, although I'm pretty sure they say that every year...

Awesome, I'm going to leave Stafford around 8ish since I bet theres going to be traffic, It was bad on 95 S and the whole 2 hours I was on it I wish I was able to lane split since it was basically stop and go. I'll be on a Blue SV650 with a black helmet with gold visor.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

An observer posted:

How the hell do you DC people manage to not die in full gear in the summer? I'm going to be moving there in a year and I have no idea how I'd avoid heatstroke every single day.

By not riding because I'm lazy. :(

BigRedCat
May 23, 2003
I'm a unique snowflake, just like everyone else.

Tenchrono posted:

Awesome, I'm going to leave Stafford around 8ish since I bet theres going to be traffic, It was bad on 95 S and the whole 2 hours I was on it I wish I was able to lane split since it was basically stop and go. I'll be on a Blue SV650 with a black helmet with gold visor.

I was seriously considering going tomorrow, but after driving around old town today and seeing all the idiotic riding from the people who've dragged their bike for their 1 ride a year I've decided not to. I swear some of these people came to DC on a mission to get hit by a car.

Edit: Also whats up fellow Blue SV650 NOVA buddy.

BigRedCat fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 27, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You guys should take a ride to the nearest backroads together instead.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/ if you need inspiration.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

mootmoot posted:

Crashing your bike while going in a straight line is not whatever you imagine is the opposite of "PG", trite, predictable and boring. :science:

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Saga posted:

Crashing your bike while going in a straight line is not whatever you imagine is the opposite of "PG", trite, predictable and boring. :science:

I love how you have unironically criticised my poo poo riding with that poo poo zinger mascarading as an intelligent point.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

mootmoot posted:

I love how you have unironically criticised my poo poo riding with that poo poo zinger mascarading as an intelligent point.

My dear Mootmoot, criticizing your poo poo-riding is way too easy when you choose to GoPro document it and save it forever on the INTERNET for laughs and giggles.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402573

Seems like a decent enough deal, right? Tail section, some street fighter front setup, and running it through inspection. Nice GSXR for like $2750 all said and done once you factor in gas to Cali and back...

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Seen a couple other sport bikes so far, pretty cool. suns outs but theres a nice breeze.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
While DC was packed with rolling blunder idiots I took a 11hour+ 500 mile trip out to WV and back. Owned, still a little sore and my rear tire is shot but worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate
gently caress that was a hot poo poo show. Took an hour and a half to get off the I395 off ramp and into the pentagon lot. Then after waiting for 5 hours or so (which wasn't too bad with the food, shade, and a nice park near the marina) my lot had a solid 45 second notice before we started riding. People were running around, stashing gear and passing each other to keep the flow going. We were right after the rolling thunder tribute painted semi trucks, who made a wrong turn and missed the second half of the ride, taking all of us with them. Minor detour through downtown DC traffic & through 2 police barricades & back in it to win it! Thankfully the guy in front of me with open pipes and a twitch in his throttle hand got lost, so the second half was much quieter. Didn't see any other SV's, but glad to know I wasn't the only one!