Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.

Mr. Deathy posted:

I think there was a scene where she fell nude onto Gutts while he was sleeping, which was kind of like Miura was just looking for an excuse to draw it. Sometimes the guy's motivations for drawing things seem a bit questionable.

In this very same incident Schierke herself was upset at this little social akwardness. It didn't seem to condone what was construed as inappropriate at all, hell she burned the sheet as evidence (crisping Guts along with it), and ran off apologizing.

Also it was largely Isidro's fault that it happened, so blame it on the monkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Bro Pty Ltd
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pnumoman posted:

At least he doesn't actually go after underage girls, like the guy who does Toriko.

Wikipedia posted:

Shimabukuro is friends with Eiichiro Oda, author of One Piece.

:stare:

This isn't the sort of relationship you would want to have. Especially when both guys produce chapters for Shonen Jump.

I know it was back in 02, but god drat.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Look at the citation date from Wikipedia. Looks like Oda said they were friends before Shimabukuro got caught.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

A.S.H. posted:

In this very same incident Schierke herself was upset at this little social akwardness. It didn't seem to condone what was construed as inappropriate at all, hell she burned the sheet as evidence (crisping Guts along with it), and ran off apologizing.

Also it was largely Isidro's fault that it happened, so blame it on the monkey.

I don't want to drag this thread into a discussion about pedophilia in manga, but that rationalization is crap. Just looking at the panel and the way it's laid out and drawn, it's obviously fan service for the less savory comic enthusiasts in Japan. It's unfortunate that the rest of us have to deal with it in what is an otherwise excellent series.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

notZaar posted:

I don't want to drag this thread into a discussion about pedophilia in manga, but that rationalization is crap. Just looking at the panel and the way it's laid out and drawn, it's obviously fan service for the less savory comic enthusiasts in Japan. It's unfortunate that the rest of us have to deal with it in what is an otherwise excellent series.

How old is she supposed to be anyway? and why aren't you crying a river about Griffits banging the underage princess?

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

Danny Bro Pty Ltd posted:

:stare:

This isn't the sort of relationship you would want to have. Especially when both guys produce chapters for Shonen Jump.

I know it was back in 02, but god drat.

Eh, Oda is a misogynist anyway, he's terrible regardless.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

notZaar posted:

This post actually made me go back and find the page in question, really look at it - and I'm not sure I agree with your assessment.

For a manga that has had Isma appear more often with clothes off than on (not sure if that's actually true but whatever), there is something off about that specific panel. Neither perspective or anatomy (ugh) are 100% - making me suspect it might be an assistant rather than Miura himself who drew it, but that's not really relevant - but it does not seem like it was supposed to be directly titillating.

Or it is, overtly, some kind of fanservice that I can't even parse and that's what is weirding me out about it. v:shobon:v

edit: why are we even talking about naked witches :negative:

LordMune fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 18, 2012

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

LordMune posted:

edit: why are we even talking about naked witches :negative:

It's the wait between chapters. Trust me, you'd rather have this than the Alignment Discussions the Order of the Stick thread falls into every week in BSS.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Quick, let's switch the topic to something else in Berserk that's socially unacceptable. Erm...troll rape? :v:

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming
Here was something I found funny when I was re-reading Berserk again. It was in the chapters between Misty Valley and Griffiths rebirth where the Knights of the Holy Iron chain fight Guts.

The first time they face Guts hes all beat to poo poo from fighting those demon elves and basically can't move at all. He gets caught and everyone is talking poo poo on him because he cant even lift his sword.

However in Albion Guts is perfectly fine and its hilarious to watch their reaction to Guts actively kicking the poo poo out of everything around him. They are like "This is nothing like last time!" and other such lines and the only thought in my mind is "Of course shitbirds, hes not covered in wounds and hasn't been fighting for like a week straight." Guts has a reputation as a bad rear end for a reason.

edit: I got my figure in the mail last night before I had to go to work. I haven't gotten a chance to unpack it but my first impression was its a bit smaller then the pictures on the web made it out to be. I'll toss up a couple pics later to show it off.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Gut's Dragonslayer makes a cameo in the excellent and hilarious French comic "Freak's Squeele".

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I'm kind of ready for Berserk to start heading toward an end game at this point. It's been going for so long and been taking some interesting paths, but I want to see Gutts and Griffith go at it already.

Plus, I'm legitimately worried that the creator/author is going to keel over with the glacial pace that new chapters are being released, gorgeous as they are.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

He's only around 40 years old, so the series COULD go on 10 more years or so (even 20) before there's any real risk of him dying.
Hopefully Miura is keeping himself healthy.

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

Ccs posted:

He's only around 40 years old, so the series COULD go on 10 more years or so (even 20) before there's any real risk of him dying.
Hopefully Miura is keeping himself healthy.

Or at least wrote down what he expects to happen in a black box somewhere.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
I've heard that there's supposedly a Figma Zodd in the works.

I really hope it's true.

'Course it'll have to be his human form but it'll still be awesome.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Ccs posted:

Gut's Dragonslayer makes a cameo in the excellent and hilarious French comic "Freak's Squeele".

Everyone should read this.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
FYI guys, the 1st Movie is now out on DVD/Blu in Japan.
It's only a matter of time now...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hatter106 posted:

FYI guys, the 1st Movie is now out on DVD/Blu in Japan.
It's only a matter of time now...

There's a silly 20GB raw up on NyaaTorrents already.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Sakurazuka posted:

There's a silly 20GB raw up on NyaaTorrents already.

Oh joy, uncompressed BR discs. Not a single pixel was harmed or compromised in the creation of that rip.

Now it's a race between crazy fan translators to have more literal/readable subs. Unless I'm out of a touch and the literal versus localized war ended a while ago.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Andrigaar posted:

Oh joy, uncompressed BR discs. Not a single pixel was harmed or compromised in the creation of that rip.

Now it's a race between crazy fan translators to have more literal/readable subs. Unless I'm out of a touch and the literal versus localized war ended a while ago.

I'm shuddering at the thought of a new wave of "Gattsu & Gurifisu" translations...

EDIT:

:siren:3 new chapters, starting on June 8th!:siren:

...but they're flashbacks to Guts' youth.
They're never gonna get to the drat fairy island...

Hatter106 fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 27, 2012

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hatter106 posted:

I'm shuddering at the thought of a new wave of "Gattsu & Gurifisu" translations...

EDIT:

After all this time, only 3 chapters? The past two years have been anemic.

And people complain of Togashi...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hatter106 posted:

I am totally okay with this, especially if the chapters in question are a complete, self-contained story.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hatter106 posted:

Christ, that poo poo annoys me to no end. I think the best part is when they started putting small character profiles at the beginning of each volume using the correct spellings (Guts, Griffith, etc.) and one scanlator put in a rant about how the publisher or whatever was obviously wrong, but he was going to use their spellings anyway.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

After all this time, only 3 chapters? The past two years have been anemic.

And people complain of Togashi...
at least the rare berserk chapter doesn't look like it was sketched on a napkin

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Last year, HxH had its longest uninterrupted run ever. Likewise, Berserk was coming out monthly for the better part of the year.

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011

Awesome Welles posted:

Christ, that poo poo annoys me to no end. I think the best part is when they started putting small character profiles at the beginning of each volume using the correct spellings (Guts, Griffith, etc.) and one scanlator put in a rant about how the publisher or whatever was obviously wrong, but he was going to use their spellings anyway.

Are you serious?

Are you loving SERIOUS?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only got chance to watch ten minutes of that stupid raw after spending ALL DAY downloading it. They certainly didn't skimp on the gore though. I'm in two minds about the whole 'cell-shaded CGI' thing, on one hand it lets the camera angles and movement look a lot more dynamic than most anime, but on the other it still looks drat awkward and obviously CGI.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Sakurazuka posted:

Only got chance to watch ten minutes of that stupid raw after spending ALL DAY downloading it. They certainly didn't skimp on the gore though. I'm in two minds about the whole 'cell-shaded CGI' thing, on one hand it lets the camera angles and movement look a lot more dynamic than most anime, but on the other it still looks drat awkward and obviously CGI.

I like to justify it (in my mind, at least) by thinking that going CGI was the only way this film series could be made. It would have taken waaay too much time and money to animate all the giant armoured battles classically.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hatter106 posted:

EDIT:

Wait, a flashback to Gut's youth? That's weird, I wonder if that was planned or if it's more of a tie in to the film series. And I wonder if his editors pressured this or if Miura wasnted to do it. The Golden Age already covered the youth thing. We don't need more flashbacks!

I hope Miura isn't just treading water with this kinda stuff because he's worried about how to represent Elf Island correctly or is unsure about where the plot is going.

Edit: Just watched the raw of the first movie. Hmm, lots of conflicting emotions about it. On the one hand, great to see the story in actual motion, unlike in the original show. However this was definitely an adaption, not just a remediation to animation. Lots of stuff in different places, which I am okay with, but the pacing was a little weird in parts and some of the CGI made parts really awkward. Overall I think it'll be a nice introduction and hook for people to get into Berserk and a nice visit to an earlier arc for people who are well acquainted with the story, but it's nowhere near the "faithful" adaption that a lot of people were hoping it would be. I found it interesting though, I'll say that much.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 28, 2012

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Niccy Bones posted:

Are you serious?

Are you loving SERIOUS?

Pretty sure it was Band of the Hawk or some other group, but I definitely remember seeing it. I'll have to see if I can track it down. They sounded irked as hell that they weren't going to get away with writing dumb poo poo like Gurisfu or whatever the gently caress glorious nippon poo poo.

EDIT: ahahaha found it

The bios (note the names):

And this:

:qq:

double edit: And jesus I was just typing poo poo in google hoping to find those images and one of the first results is this forum post from skullknight

quote:

This pretty much sums up what I think of the hawks and Evil Genius. Full of loving idiots (not to mention stealing), but the scans are quite useful to me (just like a girl and a dildo), especially since I dont want to buy Japanese Berserk volumes that I cant understand.

:wtc:

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 28, 2012

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012
The second worst thing about it is the fact the translation/editing itself is completely mangled regardless with things like 'completed regressed' and no capitalization of proper nouns. They're one to talk about mangling, I guess.

quick edit : there's a re-encoded RAW floating around nyaa at a much better size than 20GB.

becrumbac fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 28, 2012

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Movie is okay. Good even. Some nicely animated scenes, violence heavily intact.

Very condensed though. I think to enjoy this properly, people need to realise it's kind of the equivalent of stuff like FMA: Brotherhood. It'll be extremely quickly proceeding through the territory it retreads from the first series. There are some large scene omissions throughout and I think they'll get more drastic with the 2nd movie, for example There's currently no evidence at all that the Queen will be in the 2nd movie, or her plot to poison Griffith and therefore, her subsequent demise.

If you want a rough idea of what's in and out, basically, if a scene or character isn't briefly shown in one of the trailers, it isn't in the movie. Just some examples though Bald guy, aka minister Foss, isn't in the movie. He's the guy who gave Julius the idea to assassinate Griffith. At least one early battle scene was omitted (Guts' first battle for the Hawks I think), Guts' childhood is only briefly hinted at (might be included in a later movie I guess), many minor scenes of the Hawks are omitted, etc.

Also, people will need to adjust to the atmosphere being different. The soundtrack not being done by Hirasawa does mean that the atmosphere feels nothing like the first series and that's something that you'll need to accept pretty quickly, or else you'll be looking for the movies to be something they're not.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mr. Deathy posted:

Movie is okay. Good even. Some nicely animated scenes, violence heavily intact.

Very condensed though. I think to enjoy this properly, people need to realise it's kind of the equivalent of stuff like FMA: Brotherhood. It'll be extremely quickly proceeding through the territory it retreads from the first series. There are some large scene omissions throughout and I think they'll get more drastic with the 2nd movie, for example There's currently no evidence at all that the Queen will be in the 2nd movie, or her plot to poison Griffith and therefore, her subsequent demise.

If you want a rough idea of what's in and out, basically, if a scene or character isn't briefly shown in one of the trailers, it isn't in the movie. Just some examples though Bald guy, aka minister Foss, isn't in the movie. He's the guy who gave Julius the idea to assassinate Griffith. At least one early battle scene was omitted (Guts' first battle for the Hawks I think), Guts' childhood is only briefly hinted at (might be included in a later movie I guess), many minor scenes of the Hawks are omitted, etc.

Also, people will need to adjust to the atmosphere being different. The soundtrack not being done by Hirasawa does mean that the atmosphere feels nothing like the first series and that's something that you'll need to accept pretty quickly, or else you'll be looking for the movies to be something they're not.

Yeah, though I really enjoyed the movie version, I think my only real complaint was the lack of Hirasawa on the soundtrack. It was a shame to be missing some of the early bonding between Guts and the rest of the Hawks as well, but obviously necessary given the limited time available.

Also interesting to note that the credits sequence show some clips of post Golden Age events.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Awesome Welles posted:

Pretty sure it was Band of the Hawk or some other group, but I definitely remember seeing it. I'll have to see if I can track it down. They sounded irked as hell that they weren't going to get away with writing dumb poo poo like Gurisfu or whatever the gently caress glorious nippon poo poo.

Band of the Hawk had some really loving godawful typesetting and translation. Amusingly enough I'm fairly positive I read somewhere that Miura clarified that Hawk and Falcon both translate to the same word in Japanese and the real name for Griffith's group is "Band of the Falcon" and said it was intentional for the one arc to be called the Millennium Falcon specifically because he wanted to honor the Star Wars ship.

So their scanlation group was actually named wrong in a rather ironic fashion given that they're raging about "mangled transliteration"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So I done watched that fancy new theatrical release, and despite my shock and dismay that it was only an hour long :argh: it was pretty good anyway.

One thing that struck me, for both good and bad, is how very movie-y it felt. There are touches to the dialog, tweaks to scenes, changes to character focus (it's much more squarely on the main trio now--the other Band of the Hawk headliners are basically all about as prevalent as Gaston now) that all make it seem kind of broad and sweeping as opposed to the nitty gritty Berserk that I know and love. Sometimes it feels like a definite bad thing. I realize that they can't take their sweet time, with it being a movie and all, much less wanting to retread old ground from the TV anime, but a lot of flavor is missing now in favor of just conveying the fantastical grandeur of it all. This lack of uniqueness is further underlined by the fact that Hirasawa didn't do the music :sigh:

I think they toned Guts down. I mean he's still cranky old Guts, but he's... not seething with bitter resentment and barely contained fury yet. I imagine it's to give him more of an arc throughout the series, as opposed to having him start off as pissed, then show how he got pissed, then show how he mellowed out and then show how he got super duper pissed only to show him mellowing out again. But it does kind of undermine the logic for how he got to be such a super badass; although that could get covered in flashbacks later on.

The CG is... I mean it's not the best but I'd be willing to say it's good, and better than this kind of 2D/3D mix generally is. The main thing is they probably wouldn't have made this movie without it (go back and watch Berserk TV and see how many times they use panning still shots) so it manages to serve it's purpose without stinking the joint up too bad. It's hard not to feel pangs of "But if only..." when you see particularly hot looking sequences of pure hand-drawn stuff, though.

Nitpicks aside, it was still good, and way better than theatrical anime retreads tend to be. Only two or three more movies until we get to the new stuff I guess :unsmith:

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The movie had excellent atmosphere, but the rushed pacing made Guts appear a bit too mortal and vulnerable. Quite the technical marvel, overall. I was amazed at the surgical skill necessary to coherently condense such an epic.

Just my two cents.

Unrelated:

Claudius & Nero

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, it is just the beginning of the Golden Age. He doesn't become world renowned for ridiculous feats of badassery til the next movie and won't be the unkillable son of a bitch who is completely nonchalant in the face of horrors that make any sane mane freeze in terror til even later.

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011
Well, subs happened, and they're good! (No honorifics, proper romanization as far as I can tell, no karaeoke/lyrics in the opening, no translation notes, no untranslated words).

Khobra
Jul 26, 2006

Bwahaha!
I liked it. The assassination and ensuing drama was exceptionally well handled and really had me on the edge of my seat. I just wish they had spent some time on Guts and Griffith's childhoods, and maybe a little bit of Guts' acclimation to the Band. Since it was only a little over an hour they certainly had time. Is it common in Japan for movies to be this short?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I was surprised how little the CG bothered me. Except for the scene where they meet the princess for the first time where she just looks robotic none of it really took me out of the movie.

Khobra posted:

Is it common in Japan for movies to be this short?
Not really but it does happen from time it time with anime movies.

Personally I thought the way the cut it worked really well as a movie and had a perfect moment to end on. Anything else probably would have thrown off the movie's pace.