Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Policenaut posted:

There is a story quest and a major side quest at Bluemoon. If you're there for one of the two, it probably stands to reason that you might want to put one down there.

I'm here on the main quest just killed the Griffin but the place is deserted so I didn't think it would be a hub of activity for me later on. Do I ever need to go the Shadow fort again either? I did hear that there's some stuff happening beyond the great wall so I figured I'd be doing a lot of quests in that area pretty soon. Is this completely wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

When you put it down and use a Ferrystone, you get a menu with the map that lets you choose to teleport either to Gran Soren or to wherever you put the Portstone down.
Oh good, I was afraid to waste a ferrystone to find out.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm here on the main quest just killed the Griffin but the place is deserted so I didn't think it would be a hub of activity for me later on. Do I ever need to go the Shadow fort again either? I did hear that there's some stuff happening beyond the great wall so I figured I'd be doing a lot of quests in that area pretty soon. Is this completely wrong?

I don't think Shadow Fort has any revisits for main quests, but I know there's some optional side quests that go there.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Huh. Apparently you can kill a chimera's lion head without killing the beast itself. It's kind of a depressing creature when the goat is the last one left.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I have no idea how I just survived all that.

So... I went back to the bandit's fort in Witchwood, right? Figured I'd see if Valmiro was there. He wasn't. So I guess he died somewhere and I have to wait for him to respawn or something. By the time I carved through all the enemies in the way, it was night. So I figure, what the hell, I'll go along the coast and see what I can see.

What I can see, apparently, was an armored cyclops with what looked like a fire-enchanted club. drat thing was glowing red, anyway. So on the edge of this tall-rear end cliff, we engage the stupid thing and somehow no one gets batted off. So I keep going through the trees since there was a cliff ahead. I check my map and see I'm near one of my unfinished quest destinations so I head off towards it. ...And run straight into Devilfire Grove.

:cry: Oh god I didn't want to be there! I've seen people mention what was there! Sure enough, I swing the camera around and there it was, literally staring at me from about 20 feet away. I don't know how this loving thing snuck up on us, even in the dark. Hell yes I ran. I ran for all I'm worth, but I was up against the side of the cliff and there were goblins everywhere. My entire party was flipping their poo poo and so was I. Somehow, despite having to about-face to run back to pick my main pawn up after he got set on fire, we escaped.

Laying siege to the goblin-infested fort was cakewalk after that. Especially using the mounted weapons to chip away at the two cyclops for a bit. So uh... moral of the story, don't decide the best time for exploring is the dead of loving night, I guess.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
Has anyone found anywhere that lists all the quests and their time frames? I really want to get The Hero trophy this playthrough, but a lot of sidequests are very easily missable.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Comrade Flynn posted:

Whoever has Huglio, I think your pawn has a problem. Dude will stop in the middle of a fight to start collecting rocks and skulls.
I'm running around with Huglio at the moment. I highly appreciate his willingness as a magic-using pawn to leap the gently caress onto large enemies to beat them up.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

ChibiSoma posted:

So uh... moral of the story, don't decide the best time for exploring is the dead of loving night, I guess.

I had a Chimera sneak right up to my face when i was busy hacking away at a bandit and it surprised the poo poo out of me. I think my pawn has a trauma from being a mage/sorcerer for too long now that i switched her to warrior. She keeps spazzing out and jumping away from bandits instead of crushing them with her giant gently caress off hammer.

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:

Comrade Flynn posted:

Whoever has Huglio, I think your pawn has a problem. Dude will stop in the middle of a fight to start collecting rocks and skulls.

That'd be my pawn. He does this to me occasionally and I have no clue why. I think he's going through a goth phase.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
So Orion, my awesome healer pawn, is number 76 on the leader board. Conflikted's awesome tank Fluffles is in the 40s somewhere.

Anyone else have top 100 pawns?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Does anyone know when the servers will be back up? Like is this a scheduled outage? It's a waste of money to stay at an inn when they're down, not to mention having to wait like 5 minutes while it tries to connect and fails...

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Eggplant Ronin posted:

That'd be my pawn. He does this to me occasionally and I have no clue why. I think he's going through a goth phase.

He probably has the acquisitor inclination which makes him a klepto. You can change it with items from the rift store guy near the rift stone in the encampment.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Go to the rift shop in the encampment to increase the chances of your pawn doing activities other than picking stuff up.

I bought a bottle of juice that sends my main running and gunning towards the strongest dudes. Oh right, my pawn's strength is also around 900.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Haha, uh, so Holy glare(shield lasers) Totally doesn't discriminate against friendly NPC's, watch out for that future Mystic Knights!

Tempbot
Nov 22, 2005

by angerbot
Does anyone know of a better map than http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Gransys?

My biggest annoyance with the game is that rest areas are so incredibly few and far between. In some ways it's a great way of developing tension and I've had some really exciting nighttime endurance tests. But I hate the thought of a 45 minute jaunt going tits up and losing everything and I'd rather not save scum. Is there a map that will give me a better idea of rest areas so I can plan my journeys? Surely there has to be more than 3 towns and a few rest areas scattered across a map that takes hours to cross.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I changed my sorcerer to a magic archer, it's nice to be able to actually deal with monsters that are far away but I really miss making tornadoes and meteor showers. I changed at rank 8 though and now I'm wondering if rank 9 has augments useful to a magic archer or is it just high versions of spells I can't use anymore?

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!

Funkmaster General posted:

Does anyone know when the servers will be back up? Like is this a scheduled outage? It's a waste of money to stay at an inn when they're down, not to mention having to wait like 5 minutes while it tries to connect and fails...
I picked up and threw your pawn into the ocean and the brine murdered him

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

CheechLizard posted:

I picked up and threw your pawn into the ocean and the brine murdered him

And you didn't even leave him a gift ):

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

DrManiac posted:

I changed my sorcerer to a magic archer, it's nice to be able to actually deal with monsters that are far away but I really miss making tornadoes and meteor showers. I changed at rank 8 though and now I'm wondering if rank 9 has augments useful to a magic archer or is it just high versions of spells I can't use anymore?

There's a cast time reducing augment, but I don't know if it affects magick bow skills.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

randombattle posted:

So is the dragon slayer actually in this?

Guts' golden arc sword/gear is but I've no mention of post that event gear. Then again I don't think anyone has dragonforged any of the berserk gear so that might lead to some surprises.

Seeing how much damage a warrior can do with just Guts' sword and the arc of loving one shot kill everything, I can hardly imagine what the dragon slayer would be like in this game.

Equipment gets even better than that stuff. My new game plus black and red sword for my pawn (I forget it's name) has 895 strength at rank two.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Hey, thanks for playing with my generic little girl mage, guys! I just changed her to look more like an adult since upon further reflection it's a little creepy, but I haven't stayed at the inn, so it may not be updated.

GT is Grem Legend

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Is there an element to your basic ranged shot as a magick archer, or is it just generic magic?

Lately I've been hiring a Ranger pawn at all times since the AI is much better at sniping than I'd ever be, and I stock his inventory with various arrows. He'll actually use them too since I saw him poisoning a Cyclops and the arrow count dropping after the fight.

And has anyone noticed selling prices vary based on how ripe your timed items are? I think a normal beast-steak sells for around 300, but once it drops down to sour it jumps to 1,500 or so.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

ChibiSoma posted:

...And run straight into Devilfire Grove.

:cry: Oh god I didn't want to be there! I've seen people mention what was there! Sure enough, I swing the camera around and there it was, literally staring at me from about 20 feet away. I don't know how this loving thing snuck up on us, even in the dark. Hell yes I ran. I ran for all I'm worth, but I was up against the side of the cliff and there were goblins everywhere. My entire party was flipping their poo poo and so was I. Somehow, despite having to about-face to run back to pick my main pawn up after he got set on fire, we escaped.

My first encounter with that guy was me walking around a rock, seeing him sitting there in the Grove, and me going NOPE and turning right around. I sought him out around level 30 and had the most epic fight. About a third of the way through the fight a ton of Hobgoblins attacked, so I was running around dodging flame blasts and body slams, my pawns were fighting the monster and the goblins, the goblins were fighting everyone, and the Drake was just pissed. I eventually finished off all the Hobs and spent the next 5 minutes finishing off the monster. Being a warrior really helped on that fight, because the Heavy attack with Longswords has great reach and accuracy, along with tons of damage, making it the perfect thing to go after his Heart with.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

I finally got all the top sorc augments for my pawn, and have turned it back to a mage. Hooray for heals and status cleanse with +casting speed.

If you want the ultimate in support mages, I now suggest you hire Kreeaung the mage(lvl 49 as time of this post)* :)

*Note: No fire enchants, they are actively detrimental(Hi, hellhounds!) in the post game so I don't got that equipped.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Welp, tossed my two male pawns off of a cliff outside the lady bandits' castle so that I could have a chat with the leader and now it's the middle of the night and I'm stuck with one pawn and all of the bandits on the road leading up to the castle are not nearly as cool with me.

I love this game :unsmith:

edit: pretty sunrises

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 27, 2012

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ankle-biter posted:

I think I have about 60 people on my friends list and none of them own this game :( I need some cool gamer goons that enjoy this game on my friends list. GT Anklebiter25. I'm still mostly low level, but Zelda (Link and Zelda team) is 16 or 17 as a caster that loves to heal and collect items. I'm happy to make friends of any level.

Also, I love all the Game of Thrones pawns. I'm current running with TheMountain :D

Update: LVL 18 now...still no requests. Come on cool dudes :smith:

I took Zelda along and goddammn does she like setting things on fire. Best mage Pawn I've grabbed yet, mainly because she had big boom AND support, as opposed to "cast fireball->heal->done".

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So what's the consensus on the best weight for a character? I guess big for a fighter, small for a strider, doesn't really matter for a mage?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Evil Canadian posted:

Also for those that started NG+, do the harder enemies stay around when you start NG+, or is it all the derpy little weak ones again?

The entire world is reset but enemies get a bit tougher. It's nowhere near a goblins->grimgoblins boost though.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

The Moon Monster posted:

The entire world is reset but enemies get a bit tougher. It's nowhere near a goblins->grimgoblins boost though.

Hrm, well I suppose maybe when you hit that point of the game again in NG+ the enemies are like superior grim goblins then?

I know nobody is nowhere near that far along to confirm though ;/

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Marogareh posted:

He probably has the acquisitor inclination which makes him a klepto. You can change it with items from the rift store guy near the rift stone in the encampment.

What's the rift store guy? I've never seen him at all. In the encampment, do you mean the place you visit right after Cassandris or whatever?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Sankis posted:

What's the rift store guy? I've never seen him at all. In the encampment, do you mean the place you visit right after Cassandris or whatever?

Yes. He's in the tent with the riftstone you use to make your own pawn at the start.

Killgore Trout
Sep 26, 2002

Not a sham.
For anyone else that has finished (spoilered just in case): Did you find the last leg of the game absolutely gruelling? The game had it's difficulty spikes up to that point, for me. I figure I was a bit underprepared, maybe only level 49 or 50, but drat. I wasn't expecting it to be that harsh.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Evil Canadian posted:

Hrm, well I suppose maybe when you hit that point of the game again in NG+ the enemies are like superior grim goblins then?

I know nobody is nowhere near that far along to confirm though ;/

Yeah, I'd imagine the grimgoblins get the boost too. My main reason for enemies are tougher is that they gives about 1.5x as much exp as I'm used to (yes I'm still using a full group of pawns). I switched classes and weapons from Mystic Knight to bow-centric assassin so it's hard to compare combat-wise.

Killgore Trout posted:

For anyone else that has finished (spoilered just in case): Did you find the last leg of the game absolutely gruelling? The game had it's difficulty spikes up to that point, for me. I figure I was a bit underprepared, maybe only level 49 or 50, but drat. I wasn't expecting it to be that harsh.

Honestly, no, not at all. Although admittedly a large part of what made the postgame dungeon so easy was the ridiculous amount of wakestones they throw at you. There's not a lot of tension to the fights when you have a dozen extra lives in your inventory.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I'm a level 35 sorcerer and thinking of switching to either Assassin or Strider. Hopefully I'm not too gimpy. Which class are you guys enjoying more?

e: vvv The Berserk armor can be obtained by clearing out the Ancient Quarry and buying it from the merchant who sets up shop there. I'm pretty sure you can do it anytime. I already have some of it for my pawn and I'm not anywhere near post game, I don't think.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 27, 2012

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Stuck my pawn on the master list and found out I've actually been using a goonpawn all along! Kyrie has gotten me through many a scrape and seems to actually Do Things, unlike so many warrior pawns I see. Check out Sara if anyone needs a decently-equipped and -skilled Strider.

So far the game is everything I'd hoped it would be. Just wish the Berserk armour wasn't postgame. :(

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
I feel bad about the person in this thread who didn't find exploring very rewarding. This game is TEEMING with hidden poo poo. I love it. Lots of stuff hidden away in little cracks, on top of hills, only found by leaping across narrow valleys, etc. I've been to Bloodwater Beach several times, but it wasn't until exploring around this time that I found that cave hidden away in the bluffs after leaping a valley.

Also, it was plenty exciting mining ancient ore and blastrock (only place I've found those thus far) from an ore node in Devilfire Grove pissing off the drake and then running the gently caress away while my pawns distracted it. :keke:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It's not. You can buy it from Alon in the quarry.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
How far am I through the game? I just fought the cockatrice in the city field. Hopefully there is still stuff coming because status ailments just became interesting. Maybe my item box full of clean cloths will be put to use.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Any tips for a spot to find good sorceror gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

skinny white boy posted:

How far am I through the game? I just fought the cockatrice in the city field. Hopefully there is still stuff coming because status ailments just became interesting. Maybe my item box full of clean cloths will be put to use.

Well, you are only a handful of quests away from fighting the Dragon but...

Even when you beat the dragon and you see some credits a rolling, the game keeps going in terms of content and new quests

• Locked thread