Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

Paul Proteus posted:

Nitro is used instead of CO2 to carbonate the beer. It provides a smoother, different mouth feel from CO2. It's the same gas used in Guinness.

Why was there such a big deal when Left Hand managed to do it with a bottle instead of cans like Guinness then? I understand that the cans need some sort of mechanism inside, but if the "big secret" is just using NO2 then shouldn't have Guinness been able to do the same thing way before Left Hand without having to use the ball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

enthe0s posted:

Why was there such a big deal when Left Hand managed to do it with a bottle instead of cans like Guinness then? I understand that the cans need some sort of mechanism inside, but if the "big secret" is just using NO2 then shouldn't have Guinness been able to do the same thing way before Left Hand without having to use the ball?

Guinness switched their bottles to widget-free some time last year (the cans still have widgets). The thing is that it's a trade secret how they did it. It's also a trade secret to how Left Hand did their Nitro stout. Left Hand's nitro bottles are supposedly much nicer than the Guinness as well in terms of mouthfeel and appearance, there's a reason that the Guinness bottles tell you specifically to drink out of the bottle.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Left Hand has an almost fully automated brewing facility. I'm fairly certain they could brew and package the beer without the liquid touching air. I imagine without worrying about it depressurizing, they could just force "nitrate" it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Paul Proteus posted:

Nitro is used instead of CO2 to carbonate the beer. It provides a smoother, different mouth feel from CO2. It's the same gas used in Guinness.
Its possible I've been misinformed, but I'm pretty sure Guinness is carbonated with CO2 like every other beer and the mouthfeel comes from pushing the beer to the glass at the tap using nitrogen, which causes some of the CO2 to be displaced by nitrogen. I don't think nitrogen by itself is soluble enough to carbonate the beer.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Paul Proteus posted:

Half Acre only. It's that or kegs at bars - no regular distribution. 1 four pack per person - I'd call to see if they still have it.

blaaaaah, bet they'll be out before I get up there.

Had a cherry mint julep at the Goose tonight and it was the first barrel aged I've actually enjoyed! A really good stout all around, it wrapped the flavor of a cherry cordial in tobacco leaves and mint meltaway. They're down to maybe five barrels, so if you're in the area, take advantage.

Got a bottle of Rogue Voodoo Doughnut chilling in the fridge now and I blame all of you. May upload photos of myself wincing, assuming I survive.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

I don't understand why you guys keep buying this godawful Donut Voodoo beer. Is this like a contest to see who can take the most punishment? At this point I'm just waiting for someone to smugly point out the obvious enjoyable aspects that everyone else missed.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
I encourage any and all of you to try the actual donut this beer is theoretically based off of...

It kinda sucks. Take the random maple bar your office puts in the break room on a Friday morning, slap a tiny burnt piece of microwaved bacon on top of it, let it sit for 50 minutes, then take a bite.

If that sounds lovely, well, that's because it is. I love so many things about Portland, but that donut is absolutely not one of them.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

Its possible I've been misinformed, but I'm pretty sure Guinness is carbonated with CO2 like every other beer and the mouthfeel comes from pushing the beer to the glass at the tap using nitrogen, which causes some of the CO2 to be displaced by nitrogen. I don't think nitrogen by itself is soluble enough to carbonate the beer.

It isn't soluble which is why Guiness goes flat if you let it sit for a few mins.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

wattershed posted:

I encourage any and all of you to try the actual donut this beer is theoretically based off of...

It kinda sucks. Take the random maple bar your office puts in the break room on a Friday morning, slap a tiny burnt piece of microwaved bacon on top of it, let it sit for 50 minutes, then take a bite.

If that sounds lovely, well, that's because it is. I love so many things about Portland, but that donut is absolutely not one of them.

Yeah, I have no idea why Voodoo has taken off like it has, I guess just word of mouth about CRAZY donuts. I admit for a place so reliant on gimmicks, that they had a ton of gimmicks to roll out.

Ultimately, I think when tourists/suburbites come to downtown they want to "local famous speciality" in LA it's pinks (middling hot dogs), in DC it's ben's chili bowl (okay half-smokes, terrible chili) and for Portland its Voodoo. People buy it because other people buy it because someone at some point said it was great.

It isn't surprising that Rogue and Voodoo teamed up, both of them love gimmicks so why not combine they into some awful overpriced beer? Also, I highly suspect both businesses are owned by libertarians.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I have no idea why Voodoo has taken off like it has, I guess just word of mouth about CRAZY donuts. I admit for a place so reliant on gimmicks, that they had a ton of gimmicks to roll out.
It has been featured on a shitload of different food network shows, too.

CalvinDooglas posted:

I don't understand why you guys keep buying this godawful Donut Voodoo beer. Is this like a contest to see who can take the most punishment? At this point I'm just waiting for someone to smugly point out the obvious enjoyable aspects that everyone else missed.
The same reason a lot of people drive slowly and gawk at a car accident-- morbid curiosity.

The ONLY thing redeeming factor about this beer was the smell. In fact, the smell betrays the taste big time. It smells like it will taste good.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Ardennes posted:

...and bacon, dude- it's got loving. bacon.

i mean, really, i love bacon, but it needs to stop being a Thing

Epic/Crooked Stave's Elder Brett is a loving excellent beer, by the way. Epic bottled it, and they don't impress me much, but it's really more Crooked Stave's beer, because their yeast totally dominates to the point where it smells more like a gueuze than a saison. this is a good thing and the result is a light, funky, and slightly tart beer that i could definitely drink by the bucket. doubt there are any still kicking around, but snatch them up if you can (and send them to me).

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

funkybottoms posted:

...and bacon, dude- it's got loving. bacon.

Bacon and doughnuts! :911:

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

CalvinDooglas posted:

Left Hand has an almost fully automated brewing facility. I'm fairly certain they could brew and package the beer without the liquid touching air. I imagine without worrying about it depressurizing, they could just force "nitrate" it.

This isn't actually true on the packaging side, they run the same bottle filler we do at Terrapin and I'll just say it's not the most sophisticated piece of machinery out there.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Ardennes posted:

Ultimately, I think when tourists/suburbites come to downtown they want to "local famous speciality"

I guess this means I shouldn't be surprised if I see lobster/mayo infused beer showing up as a summer seasonal.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Angry Grimace posted:

You're right that there is some CO2 used to originally carbonate the beer, but Nitrogen is the vast majority. Kosher is also right, if you took a growler of nitro beer from a bar it would be flat before you got home.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Just got back from my annual family visit to FLA, and my first visit there as more of a beer nerd.

Memorable beers I tried for the first time:

Mojo IPA -- delicious, perfectly suited for the hot weather and my spicy food at this little Cuban place in Ocala. Wanted a second one but had family responsibilities that were incompatible with two 7.2% beers at dinner.

Cigar City Jai Alai IPA -- also very good, but a bit more of an alcohol flavor than I would have wanted. The flavor was perfect. Enjoyed a six-pack over the week.

Cigar City Florida Cracker White -- on tap, perfect example of this style.

Victory Helios -- not my taste. I could see why it was good, but it's not a flavor I enjoy.

Also went to a "craft beer tasting" at a grocery store on Sanibel Island which was not bad for what it was -- a chance to taste about a dozen beers and chat with a local distributor.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Kind of impromptu BBQ/beer tasting last night. Highlights were Hair of the Dog's Adam and Fred (liked Adam a little more). Busted open a bottle of Foothills' Bourbon Barrel-Aged People's Porter. Solid, but could use a little more booze heat. Also found myself in WI for a few hours yesterday so we had lots of interesting stuff from north of the border.

Basically, I was drunk.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Lagunitas PILS - One of the first craft pilsners I've tried; a pretty basic, refreshing and even sessionable beer. Nice balance of a little hop and zest mixed with the bready malts at the end.

Victory Prima Pils- Similar to Lagunitas' version, however this had a stronger hop profile. Wouldn't call this style my favorite by any means, but I would imagine beers like this are best when you're in the heat or on the beach.

Nectar Humboltd Brown (brewed with hemp) - What more can I say than a decent, earthy brown ale.

Peak Organic IPA - This was good. A nice earthy IPA, great carbonation and very smooth. I would seek this out again.

Lagunitas Imperial Red - Delicious. Nuff said.

Lagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red Ale - A big red ale made by Lagunitas, you already know. If you don't know, it's a great 9% brew that has flavor complexity yet balances the hops and malts very well. A hint of alcohol lingers at the end to make sure you know what you're drinking. I want another of these, ASAP.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

escape artist posted:

It has been featured on a shitload of different food network shows, too.

The same reason a lot of people drive slowly and gawk at a car accident-- morbid curiosity.

The ONLY thing redeeming factor about this beer was the smell. In fact, the smell betrays the taste big time. It smells like it will taste good.

Yeah, morbid curiosity is the culprit in my case. Still haven't tried it though... what if by putting off trying it I accidentally age the beer and it ends up tasting good?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

mysterious frankie posted:

Yeah, morbid curiosity is the culprit in my case. Still haven't tried it though... what if by putting off trying it I accidentally age the beer and it ends up tasting good?

If and when you do try it... I suggest doing it on a night when you're so drunk you can barely taste anything.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Manky posted:

I'm in Philly with a friend and had her take me to the Foodery on tenth and pine finally. Cool little place.

Coming from a person in New Jersey I enjoyed this place, they had a lot of things that you can't get in New Jersey (Eclipse 50/50 of almost every kind, Alesmith Speedway Stout, Bells, Russian River, etc) but the price gouging there is lovely. $20 for a Speedway Stout for instance and $9 for a Damnation.

I went to my local favorite craft bar and had a Bear Republic Ryvalry on tap which was decent, a prominent citrus flavor profile with mild bitterness and a banana and cloves finish, I enjoyed it but wouldn't buy it again. I then switched to $3 Left Hand Milk Stouts on nitro. The bartender said that it will stay nitro permanently, though the $3 price tag won't be permanent. This is going to call for some really drunk nights on Milk Stout before it goes back up to $6. Milk Stout is amazing by itself, but nitrod it's out of this world.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 27, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Paul Proteus posted:

You're right that there is some CO2 used to originally carbonate the beer, but Nitrogen is the vast majority. Kosher is also right, if you took a growler of nitro beer from a bar it would be flat before you got home.

They use a mix of N2 and CO2 (usually a 75% nitrogen to 25% CO2 mix) to carbonate it, but it's not like the N2 is really "carbonating" the beer. The actual concentration of N2 in a beer even using the typical 75/25 N2/CO2 gas is pretty low. The N2 just creates the neato head effect and the majority of carbonation is still CO2.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

I went to my local favorite craft bar and had a Bear Republic Ryvalry on tap which was decent, a prominent citrus flavor profile with mild bitterness and a banana and cloves finish, I enjoyed it but wouldn't buy it again. I then switched to $3 Left Hand Milk Stouts on nitro. The bartender said that it will stay nitro permanently, though the $3 price tag won't be permanent. This is going to call for some really drunk nights on Milk Stout before it goes back up to $6. Milk Stout is amazing by itself, but nitrod it's out of this world.

Completely agree on the nitroed Left Hand Milk Stout. It was probably my favourite milk stout in the game before nitro, but afterward it's out of this world.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

crazyfish posted:

Completely agree on the nitroed Left Hand Milk Stout. It was probably my favourite milk stout in the game before nitro, but afterward it's out of this world.

I have to admit I was insanely jealous of those getting it in bottles, but on-tap for $3 isn't a bad trade-off!

I just checked one of the distributors websites and saw Founder's Cerise is coming! I'm excited for this. I've had 6+ month old bottles and still enjoyed it so I'm excited to try it fresh.

V

Blasphemy! Burn the witch!

Midorka fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 27, 2012

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
Honestly, I didn't really enjoy my bottle that much. I just thought it was far too sweet. I guess I just prefer bitter stouts over sweet ones. And I might be ostracized for saying this but I don't really enjoy the smooth head from using nitro either. I think it's just a texture thing for me, I don't really enjoy that creamy feeling it gives.

e: Milk Stout Nitro, that is.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Weihen's Hefe dunkel and Racer 5. I need not anything else. Happy Memorial weekend beer folk!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

escape artist posted:

If and when you do try it... I suggest doing it on a night when you're so drunk you can barely taste anything.

I thiiiiiink that's how it's going down, if it ever does. That damned pink bottle!
---
Had a Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti at Owen & Engine today; it's officially the second barrel aged beer I've enjoyed in so many days. It was a drat fine beer and the alcohol burn at the end was perfect. I'm beginning to reverse my opinion on the style.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

I thiiiiiink that's how it's going down, if it ever does. That damned pink bottle!
---
Had a Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti at Owen & Engine today; it's officially the second barrel aged beer I've enjoyed in so many days. It was a drat fine beer and the alcohol burn at the end was perfect. I'm beginning to reverse my opinion on the style.

Love Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti. If you're talking about that burn at the end, it might actually be the cayenne pepper :)

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

escape artist posted:

Love Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti. If you're talking about that burn at the end, it might actually be the cayenne pepper :)

Cayenne, really? That's awesome! It complimented the beer perfectly, almost like a little built-in palate cleanser that simultaneously puts everything else that came before in a new light.

It feels like sacrilege to mention this in the same breath, but we just got done with the doughnut... thing. Jesus Christ, why? My hands stink like liquid smoke where it got on me, even after washing them, and my breath reeks of the poo poo too. I know they claim there were no artificial flavors added, but I'm getting a real industrial food feel off of this beer. It's not complicated; it's just nasty flavors carelessly piled on top of another.

We did finish it though. Didn't want to give it the satisfaction of being our first drain pour.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 28, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

---

I don't think it's aged in barrels, rather just oak chips.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I've got bombers of Mirror Pond PA and Black Butte Porter. Is there a correct order to drink this? Light>dark or vice versa? I suppose I could bookend the PA with the Butte and a Breckenridge vanilla porter. Thoughts?

Captain Shortbus fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 28, 2012

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Do you have some Malort to go with your poo poo, pain beer?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Midorka posted:

I don't think it's aged in barrels, rather just oak chips.

They steep oak chips in the beer? That's pretty neat.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

They steep oak chips in the beer? That's pretty neat.

I believe they add the chips during secondary to mimic aging it in barrels. That's how they do their Oak Aged Yeti anyway, the Barrel Aged Yeti is different though.

I'm drinking a Sam Adams Tasman Red and I'm not sure I like it, the roasted malts are a bit too prominent and it's got a distinct earthy profile to it, while it goes well with the flavor of the beer it just isn't for me.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Paul Proteus posted:

Do you have some Malort to go with your poo poo, pain beer?

Malort woulda scorched my tastebuds... in hindsight that would have been better.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Cayenne, really? That's awesome! It complimented the beer perfectly, almost like a little built-in palate cleanser that simultaneously puts everything else that came before in a new light.

Yep, cayenne. Such a rich chocolate start, and taste-- maybe the best chocolate stout I've ever had, and then that peppery bite at the end! Just magnificent. I haven't had a Yeti that I haven't absolutely loved, but that one might be my favorite.

We did finish it though. Didn't want to give it the satisfaction of being our first drain pour.

Hopefully you were inebriated enough to not taste it fully. I drank it as my second beer of the day, and by myself-- I tried so hard not to drain pour it, but I was literally gagging. How many people did you split it with?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I'm probably going to get a lot of poo poo for this, but I am really enjoying Harpoon's Quad. Sweet malts up front, really not much going on there other than some bready malts, but the mid-taste introduces some spice which hits hard during the finish in combination with the cherry esters that leave my tongue and throat tingling, I enjoy this though it's probably a mess considered the other beers in the genre. It definitely doesn't remind me of any quad I've had before.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Clownshoes Chocolate Sombrero, a Mexican-style chocolate stout. It tastes a surprising amount like Mexican hot chocolate, with cocoa and cinnamon notes and a fairly malty base. It's really decent, lighter than an imperial stout but thick and rich. They claim there's some ancho chile in there. I can't detect that at all, there's really no fruity/raisiny character that I can tell. Still, quite worth the purchase.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Got to try Rock Bottom (Arlington)'s award winning espresso stout last night (GABF Gold 2009, WBC 2012 Bronze).

I'd say it was very good, light & creamy mouthfeel, almost like a coffee-fied Milk Stout Nitro.

I will be returning for 1.50 pint night for a couple of these... definitely not my favorite though. That award goes to the Bacon & Eggs Imperial Coffee Porter from Pizza Port OB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I'm making my way through the Sam Adams IPA Hopology variety pack and noticed that Tasman Red, Dark Depths, and Third Voyage are undated and suggest that they can be aged. I'm not sure if I'm missing something and I'm not very familiar with Red IPAs or Baltic IPAs, but I know that Imperial IPAs are hardly ever suggested to be aged. My instinct tells me to drink them fresh, but a part of me is curious. I mean Sam Adams is not a bad brewery, does anyone think there's any merit to putting a few months onto these styles?

Also bartolimu, I assume it was you, thanks for finally giving me an avatar even if I know gently caress what it means.