Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I have heard of precisely one of those bands.

Same here. I'm assuming the two that aren't Rush existed only as tour mates for Sister Hazel in 1997.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
Same here. I love Rush though. My wife and I saw them at Red Rocks two years ago. It was pretty great. I would say that it was the best show I have ever been to, but seeing Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes was pretty awesome too. I just had a son in January so I guess those days are over now. Totally worth it though. I can't wait to get him reading ASOIAF. I think that 5 or 6 years old is a good age to get him started of GRRM. Hahaha.

So am I correct that the prevailing opinion of the readers here is that the Dunk & Egg books are worth reading? Are they on Kindle?

Gibbone
May 8, 2011
A theory: Jon Snow is in fact Lightbringer. Rhaegar stabbed Lyanna with his sword and the result was the birth of Jon. Tell me this isn't plausible.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
But his sword didn't pierce her heart :confused:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Gibbone posted:

A theory: Jon Snow is in fact Lightbringer. Rhaegar stabbed Lyanna with his sword and the result was the birth of Jon. Tell me this isn't plausible.

I'll buy into it, though I really can't see how it ties into Sister Hazel c. 1997...and that makes me sad.

Also, I'm assuming by "sword" you mean "glistening manhood".

All hail Jon Snowbringer!

whowhatwhere posted:

But his sword didn't pierce her heart :confused:

Rhaegar was obviously that well endowed. Why else would Jon Connington fall for him so swiftly after seeing him in the locker room?

Devorum fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 27, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I forget, was it actually established in ADWD that Daenerys ended up riding the male pear riding the pale mare? I know that's what her lovely adventures in the Dothraki Sea implies, but doesn't that mean she's effectively dying?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hakkesshu posted:

I forget, was it actually established in ADWD that Daenerys ended up riding the male pear riding the pale mare? I know that's what her lovely adventures in the Dothraki Sea implies, but doesn't that mean she's effectively dying?

No, she ate shitberries, she didn't get fantasy cholera.

el_brio posted:

So am I correct that the prevailing opinion of the readers here is that the Dunk & Egg books are worth reading? Are they on Kindle?

Yes and yes.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Devorum posted:

Rhaegar was obviously that well endowed. Why else would Jon Connington fall for him so swiftly after seeing him in the locker room?

ASOIAF as a high school melodrama would be amazing.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Robert's Rebellion as high school melodrama.

ASOIAF is the collegiate sequel.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

We already have the teen pregnancy drama with Lysa and Littlefinger. Littlefinger's the nerd that pines after the pretty girl with a jock boyfriend and ends up with her little sister.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Ends up raped by the little sister and then goes with her because of her family connections.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Meanwhile Robert's being a manwhore with Ned as his straight man who has to put up with him hitting on his sister. Jon Arryn is their cool older friend who buys them beer.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I figure he'd be their stepdad or something.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
Aerys the crazy headmaster who will expel students at paranoid whims.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It'd be interesting to see the ramifications of Brandon being expelled instead of killed, I must admit.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Gregor the cruel jock.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Jon Arryn is Robert's stepdad who is generally cool and let's his stepson drink beer.

Robert wants to go to prom with his best buddy Ned's sister, who is a total babe. Ned's okay with it because he knows under the party boy Spicoli surfer dude act, Robert is actual a good dude, and besides, Lyanna always goes for these douchebag bro types, which he just can't stand. Ned pours himself into his studies so he can get into a good college and Lyanna wants to smoke cigarettes and drink vodka and pass out at parties and act like a total bitch, and just generally piss away her opportunities.

So in comes the mayor's son. He's a handsome pretty-boy rich jock douchebag with a Camaro and after the big football game he asks Lyanna to the prom.

Meanwhile, Ned's dad and brother have been running the family tire store for years, and the dickbag mayor rezones everything and pulls Ned's dad's business license with some shady poo poo in the city council.

So Ned and Robert are pretty much like "OMG gently caress these Targaryen jerks, they think they're so much better than us."

A few months later, near graduation, Robert ends up kicking Rhaegar's rear end after gym class, and Rhaegar cries a lot and his reputation is ruined. Ned finds out Lyanna was teen pregnant.

After graduation, Robert, being pretty much the most liked guy in town, runs a campaign against the crooked mayor. He has a windfall come his way when he starts dating Tywin's (a city councilman's) dughter. He totally dominates the elections and the Targs move away in disgrace. A lot of people question his authority, being the youngest mayor ever, and he bankrupts the city on conventions and political "fundraisers". But he's generally well regarded by the people.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 27, 2012

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Ned's younger brother Ben joins up with the goths who like hanging around the woods in the outskirts of town. Nobody gives a poo poo.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
The intro is a muppet version of GRRM on his drawing board, creating the characters with one stroke of his brush, killing half of them off with another. There's also short muppet segments in the middle, usually with his maid yelling something like "I hope nobody eats this weasel pie while it's cooling on the window sill!" from off screen, then the muppet looks into the camera and makes that weird scrunched face expression, end of scene. The aftermath is shown in the credits. There's also an episode two episodes in which a 13 year old Dany from the future comes alive from the drawing board and the muppet fucks her.

We are talking about a cartoon here, right?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Unnamed One posted:

Ned's younger brother Ben joins up with the goths who like hanging around the woods in the outskirts of town. Nobody gives a poo poo.

Some crazy kids from the next town over are always throwing rocks at the abandoned building where Ben and "the crows" (the schoolchildren's nickname for the goth kids) hang out, so they take their bikes out occasionally to spy on them and maybe give them wet willies.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
What does that make Tywin then? the Mayors best friend who kicks Rhaegar out of school?

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
There's also the subplot of Coach Hightower, who has to win the championship while dealing with the talented but headstrong rookie Jaime, being helped by his teammates Arthur and Barry.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Some crazy kids from the next town over are always throwing rocks at the abandoned building where Ben and "the crows" (the schoolchildren's nickname for the goth kids) hang out, so they take their bikes out occasionally to spy on them and maybe give them wet willies.

Also known as black people, from a poor town.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Anders posted:

Also known as black people, from a poor town.
Don't conflate the Summer Isles with North of the Wall.

How would warlocks and the red priests fit in? Huge nerds?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Urdnot Fire posted:

Don't conflate the Summer Isles with North of the Wall.

How would warlocks and the red priests fit in? Huge nerds?

Meth-users

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Anders posted:

Meth-users
"You gotta try this R'Hlor poo poo, man. It's unreal."

"Naw, man. Pyat Pree takes you to the House of the Undying. So trippy, dude."

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Beric Dondarrion was challenged to a drinking contest with Gregor. He nearly died of alcohol poisoning, then Thoros (the weird little pyro exchange student) gave him a hit of acid and he came to was able to walk it off.

e: the Stephen Degrasse Sagan Hawking thread has learned of GRRM's shitdick and impending death.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 27, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lol GURM u fat fucker

Just postin that so Rarity doesn't look like a liar.

Oh my sweet summer thread, have they seen the pictures of Gurm's wedding or that one where a monkey is picking poo poo out of his beard? Or the sextape of him and Ty spit roasting Parris?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Rarity, WTF? The people need to know they're watching a show by a poopweiner haver.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

IRQ posted:

lol GURM u fat fucker

Just postin that so Rarity doesn't look like a liar.

Oh my sweet summer thread, have they seen the pictures of Gurm's wedding or that one where a monkey is picking poo poo out of his beard? Or the sextape of him and Ty spit roasting Parris?

I have seen nothing of this please re-post.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

VaultAggie posted:

What does that make Tywin then? the Mayors best friend who kicks Rhaegar out of school?

He's the Car Dealership owner/city council member who basically owns the town, politically speaking. Robert was just a catspaw.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Meanwhile the Tyrells own a buch of land and employ a bunch of people's dads which helps Loras not get beat up when he and Renly are praying undermeath the bleachers.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Gregor Clegane got arrested when he brought a knife to school after Loras dunked on him and rubbed his balls in his face in mid air.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

whowhatwhere posted:

He's the Car Dealership owner/city council member who basically owns the town, politically speaking. Robert was just a catspaw.

He also promises to back the incumbent mayor until the 11th hour, when he shows up at a rally and drops a huge scandal bomb he was keeping a secret...and it is the mayor's own rally. The mayor loses it, and tries to hit Tywin...but Jaimie is there as "security" and punches him the face before he can do it.

run DNC posted:

Gregor Clegane got arrested when he brought a knife to school after Loras dunked on him and rubbed his balls in his face in mid air.

Sandor is his little brother, burned in a house-fire that many suspect Gregor set. He is also a jock, but doesn't hang out with the other jocks and generally considers them to be douchebags. Acts like a dick, but will defend nerds and such against his brother's bullying.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 28, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

El Hefe posted:

I have seen nothing of this please re-post.

Look at how unhappy this monkey looks at the idea of eating the flora and fauna in Gurm's snarled mess of goony hair:

IRQ fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 28, 2012

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
You forgot the wedding rings:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jesus, that looks more like a bracelet.

UncleMeat!
Aug 11, 2007
This Thread Reads Like A Snake Devouring Its Own Tale

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Jesus, that looks more like a bracelet.
He isn't the Mountain That Never Writes for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
Dorne is a southern beach town full of sexy rear end-kicking sufer ladies. The Red Viper rides the sweetest longboard ever bro'd.