Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Simply Simon posted:

Or I just make an annotation in YT saying "click here to skip" and leave it at that?

I think that's the best way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Thirty seconds isn't really much. There's about that much text if not more in the X2-X4 parts of Zarah's LP and nobody's really complained at all until X5 came along and cranked up the exposition like mad. I wouldn't worry about it unless some scenes are approaching Alia-levels of text dumps.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Simply Simon posted:

Or I just make an annotation in YT saying "click here to skip" and leave it at that?

That sounds fine to me.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Settled. BD users will just have to bear with it, then. It's seriously not that big of a deal, I just thought it would improve the presentation by making it all action, all the time :shobon:.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

First of all, both the characteristics and Intro Cinematic posts lead to the same post - looking through the list of posts I think you want this one for the intro cinematic link.

Other than that, I like the hybrid format for the intro cinematics, but I'd agree that keeping the full text for the mid-level cutscenes would look a lot better, as well as an annotation as you suggested. Commentary is informative as always, video and audio quality are great, and I'm looking forward to the thread as well.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Simply Simon posted:

Settled. BD users will just have to bear with it, then. It's seriously not that big of a deal, I just thought it would improve the presentation by making it all action, all the time :shobon:.

Please don't, I really like the summaries, and like you said it gets very wordy pretty quickly. Being able to have them quickly summarised really improved the videos compared to ohter MegaMan Zero LPs I've watched and then flaked out on.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Hm.

How about: Summarized plot on BD, uncut video on YT with annotation to skip? Best of both worlds. And as the whole thing is on YT, I'll spare myself the effort of editing a textdump from GameFAQs.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

cKnoor posted:

Please don't, I really like the summaries, and like you said it gets very wordy pretty quickly.

I actually quite liked them too, or at least the idea of them. Not sure how I feel about them basically being you reading out a wall-of-text, though, but it's the format that I would choose to watch, if you do decide to make it available.

Not a massive fan of the borders, but, I don't know what the situations are that might require you to show a DS sized screen. Can you elaborate any on that any?

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Hm.

How about : Summarized plot on BD, uncut video on YT with annotation to skip? Best of both worlds. And as the whole thing is on YT, I'll spare myself the effort of editing a textdump from GameFAQs.

Or, you could add a timestamp to the video itself, so viewers without YouTube annotations could manually skip to that part of the video. (Example: Kamoc's Silent Hill: Homecoming LP.)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mastigophoran posted:

I actually quite liked them too, or at least the idea of them. Not sure how I feel about them basically being you reading out a wall-of-text, though, but it's the format that I would choose to watch, if you do decide to make it available.
Any better suggestions for them? I mean, it's bound to be a wall of text anyway, I'm just reading it out so there isn't just blank silence, and because it gives me a good timeframe on how long to leave them on.

quote:

Not a massive fan of the borders, but, I don't know what the situations are that might require you to show a DS sized screen. Can you elaborate any on that any?
Well, the bottom screen is always (and obviously DS-sized) a picture of the boss you're fighting, or of Zero with his current main weapon, or something else. I thought I might put those into the video some day. Pretty weak point, I know. I just fear that if I cut once, I might encounter a situation where I think "man, if only I hadn't cut them out from the beginning" - a concrete example for that would be the DS-sized intro. No idea how I would go about leaving that uncut, but cutting the rest of the intro video when the GBA part comes without it stretching awkwardly and looking like poo poo.

Basically it would be the same size anyway, with or without borders...

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Why not then just record both windows, but crop and zoom onto the "active" play screen as the main resolution and view, and just do the double screen "letterboxed" when you need it? You can just transition between the two pretty smoothly I'd think.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I record both windows anyway, with Desmume's built-in AVI record function. The video is already cropped.
The "smooth transition" is the problem, as I'm just using AVISynth to edit the videos...I guess there are scripts to do anything, but I'm not really that into the program.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Zorak posted:

Why not then just record both windows, but crop and zoom onto the "active" play screen as the main resolution and view, and just do the double screen "letterboxed" when you need it? You can just transition between the two pretty smoothly I'd think.

The issue here is that the top screen renders at GBA resolution (240x160) with borders, while the bottom and the DS exclusive stuff renders at DS resolution (256x192). It's either live with the borders, or cut out the possibility of putting in the DS images without resizing them.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Simply Simon posted:

The "smooth transition" is the problem, as I'm just using AVISynth to edit the videos...I guess there are scripts to do anything, but I'm not really that into the program.

AviSynth has very simple video transition stuff you can do. It's pretty much one line things you can copy paste.

My approach to this kind of thing would be to record both screens at a doubled resolution on the emulator, then crop down for the bottom screen. Then when you want to show both screens, transition to the double-screen at a 50%-recorded-resolution and letterbox it. Then just transition to the main screen when not using it.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Zorak posted:

My approach to this kind of thing would be to record both screens at a doubled resolution on the emulator, then crop down for the bottom screen. Then when you want to show both screens, transition to the double-screen at a 50%-recorded-resolution and letterbox it. Then just transition to the main screen when not using it.

There was a Sonic Rush LP around that did something like what you're describing. I can't seem to find it in the Master List, though, so I can't provide an example to help. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

fake edit: No wait, I found it. It was apparently abandoned, but the technique still stands. Is this what you mean?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Shoopuf posted:

There was a Sonic Rush LP around that did something like what you're describing. I can't seem to find it in the Master List, though, so I can't provide an example to help. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

fake edit: No wait, I found it. It was apparently abandoned, but the technique still stands. Is this what you mean?

Yeah that was basically my idea of approaching it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
It's like a Las Vegas Simulation. Let's play Sin and Punishment!

Sin and Punishment is an On-Rails shooter made by Treasure Co., Ltd. It was released on the N64, but never was released outside of Japan until October 1, 2007 when Nintendo decided to release it on the Wii's NA Virtual Console.

This game is more akin to an earlier title they made called Alien Soldier with the same confusing and bullshit story. One other thing it shares with Alien Soldier is how hard it is and the constant boss fights.

The Plot
The world is in disarray and food stores are running low. Scientist created a creature to be the new food source but after time they grew feral and would be come to known as "ruffians". The Armed Volunteers are called in to deal with them, but also repress the Japanese.

We play as Saki in the Savior Group to fight both the ruffians and the Armed Volunteers.

If you really want to make sense of the plot I highly recommend reading up on it in the Sin and Punishment Wiki

The Videos
Sin 1

Zain fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 28, 2012

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I've seen the Sonic Rush LP and was consistently impressed by his quick switching of screens all the time, in a Sonic game nonetheless. Expanding at the right moments, too; I see that his could be helpful once in a while (and had planned on that at points). However, that doesn't fix the basic problem of resolutions, unless I'm misunderstanding something. I can't just crop out the borders of the top screen and then switch to the bottom without any hassle.

In any case, I do think that those borders seriously shouldn't be that big of an issue. After all, you do have them on the hardware itself! It is a shoddy port, yes, it goes to illustrate that, but...is it really so big of a deal to have blackness around the screen? You're not losing anything, resolution-wise, after all.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
Does the DS port really have any new feature worth showing? I mean, you could just record the GBA version and not have a black border.

I thought Zero became gray when you played Hard mode. Or is it something they added in the sequels?

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Simply Simon posted:

Any better suggestions for them? I mean, it's bound to be a wall of text anyway, I'm just reading it out so there isn't just blank silence, and because it gives me a good timeframe on how long to leave them on.

Actually, it was your reading the synopses that I preferred (given the choice). If there was any imagery that could be associated with that process, or diagrams or anything, then, that would be good too, but I can't imagine that this stays viable, and it might be too much content creation for a few seconds of screen time anyway. I was just thinking maybe like some quick flashcards, eg this is Ciel, these were those golems, or even just a few quick snips of their conversation to show specific phrases, but I'm sure in most cases things are clearer due to the SSLP incarnation, but I kind of have no idea about the game's intro so it was a little hard to follow initially. I'm sure the plot sections you're summarising degrade into a back and forth between 2 people as the game (in fact, even as the episode) progresses, and this ceases to be relevant/possible. I guess I was just getting a 'I could be looking at something else right now' vibe in those sections, though that probably wouldn't be any different if you let the game run its course from the way it's being described, so maybe I'm not the best person to listen to, here.

If you're looking for a little assistance ala fancy DS screen transition avisynth effects, maybe the sandcastle or TSF can provide. I'm not exactly sure what people're suggesting, but then I don't actually know what the footage looks like. A png of the two screens for working out an example transition would be helpful.

To be honest though, I kind of agree with you re the borders - unless the DS screens have reasonably croppable sections, mangling the game's pixels by trying to cram either the DS resolution into a GBA resolution or vice versa, or putting them in at eg 1x/maybe both side by side ala:

just kind of compromises things a bit, and if it's for anything more than just a quick sense of what's going on (ala Sonic Rush linked just now), it just kinda looks a bit pants. If the borders do actually bother people, you can advise them to download your videos and use a 16:10 crop on them if the top/bottom borders annoy them, or a 5:4 crop if the side borders annoy them, as these chop the black borders perfectly. It's just that GBA games are a great fit for widescreen displays, and it's a shame to compromise that, if you can avoid it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Ragny posted:

Does the DS port really have any new feature worth showing? I mean, you could just record the GBA version and not have a black border.

I thought Zero became gray when you played Hard mode. Or is it something they added in the sequels?
Starting from Zero 2.

Mastigophoran posted:

Actually, it was your reading the synopses that I preferred (given the choice). If there was any imagery that could be associated with that process, or diagrams or anything, then, that would be good too, but I can't imagine that this stays viable, and it might be too much content creation for a few seconds of screen time anyway. I was just thinking maybe like some quick flashcards, eg this is Ciel, these were those golems, or even just a few quick snips of their conversation to show specific phrases, but I'm sure in most cases things are clearer due to the SSLP incarnation, but I kind of have no idea about the game's intro so it was a little hard to follow initially.
The Intro IS the first Screenshot update and the first thing I cut out.

quote:

I'm sure the plot sections you're summarising degrade into a back and forth between 2 people as the game (in fact, even as the episode) progresses, and this ceases to be relevant/possible.
Yup, this is the second part I cut out, literally Zero and Ciel on opposite ends of the room looking at each other talking about stuff.

quote:

I guess I was just getting a 'I could be looking at something else right now' vibe in those sections, though that probably wouldn't be any different if you let the game run its course from the way it's being described, so maybe I'm not the best person to listen to, here.

If you're looking for a little assistance ala fancy DS screen transition avisynth effects, maybe the sandcastle or TSF can provide. I'm not exactly sure what people're suggesting, but then I don't actually know what the footage looks like. A png of the two screens for working out an example transition would be helpful.

To be honest though, I kind of agree with you re the borders - unless the DS screens have reasonably croppable sections, mangling the game's pixels by trying to cram either the DS resolution into a GBA resolution or vice versa, or putting them in at eg 1x/maybe both side by side ala:

just kind of compromises things a bit, and if it's for anything more than just a quick sense of what's going on (ala Sonic Rush linked just now), it just kinda looks a bit pants. If the borders do actually bother people, you can advise them to download your videos and use a 16:10 crop on them if the top/bottom borders annoy them, or a 5:4 crop if the side borders annoy them, as these chop the black borders perfectly. It's just that GBA games are a great fit for widescreen displays, and it's a shame to compromise that, if you can avoid it.
To clarify the screen issue a little, this is how raw screenshots looks like:

So border around the top screen where the GBA port is, and no border around the DS bottom.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

They look like LP'ers to you? Let's Play Silent Hill 3

Released in 2003 by Konami, and developed by Team Silent Hill, Silent Hill 3 is a direct sequel from Silent Hill 1 (with some mentions and references to Silent Hill 2) that follows Heather a number of years after the events of Silent Hill 1 and how those events will come to shape her life. For this LP I'll be playing the PC version which doesn't have any massive changes from the console version, outside of blocking a few things which I should still be able to show off. Also as mentioned in the video I'll be showing off the hard variants of the puzzles in screenshot format in the thread itself rather than the videos just to keep everything streamlined. So on to the video:

Silent Hill 3 Test Post

Like usual, any comments or critiques are welcome; the main thing that I was already thinking of fixing was eliminating the black bars during cinematics (it just looks kinda weird on Youtube with the bars from the 4:3 aspect ratio and sadly the game has no widescreen resolutions). Also please understand that at least for the tutorial section there are a lot of mechanics to explain, and future updates will involve me talking a bit less than what's presented.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 28, 2012

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Simply Simon posted:

The Intro IS the first Screenshot update and the first thing I cut out.
Right, well yeah, I figured, but uh, was that actually a thing that your test post linked to? The two picture links just linked to copies of your test post and I kind of assumed they were place holders for things you hadn't written yet, given the notes about it, so, if there was one, I didn't see it, so I just went into the video cold.

Perhaps I am a moron?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Niggurath posted:

Minor thing, Silent Hill spergin' ahead! :spergin: Do you think that revealing that Heather is Harry's daughter right from the start is a good idea? I mean, the mid-game twist is that she is his daughter. I know it's common knowledge now, but that's me nitpicking.

Slightly disappointed you're not going to do the hard mode puzzles as the default and the others as screen shots (rather than the otherway round), though that's just my liking for the hard puzzles I guess.

And the save icon is the Halo of the Sun.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

Minor thing, Silent Hill spergin' ahead! :spergin: Do you think that revealing that Heather is Harry's daughter right from the start is a good idea? I mean, the mid-game twist is that she is his daughter. I know it's common knowledge now, but that's me nitpicking.

Slightly disappointed you're not going to do the hard mode puzzles as the default and the others as screen shots (rather than the otherway round), though that's just my liking for the hard puzzles I guess.

And the save icon is the Halo of the Sun.
Yea, I was trying to remember when I was recording if that was brought up or not earlier but I can definitely snip out that mention easily enough. But yea, I'm worried if I put in the hard version of puzzles in the video then it'll involve a lot of sitting and explaining, and I'm not sure how well that'll go over. If more people want the hard version of puzzles in the video then I can do that (cause there aren't that many).

And yea, the SH symbol names just allude me at times.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mastigophoran posted:

Right, well yeah, I figured, but uh, was that actually a thing that your test post linked to? The two picture links just linked to copies of your test post and I kind of assumed they were place holders for things you hadn't written yet, given the notes about it, so, if there was one, I didn't see it, so I just went into the video cold.

Perhaps I am a moron?
No, I am.

Here you go...

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Niggurath posted:

The "special static" noises were really loud to me. Might wanna consider lowering the audio of the game, if only for those noises. Other than that it looked fine.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.

Niggurath posted:

You don't have to make an effort to stop commentating when Heather is describing something. It wouldn't be distracting, if you're worried about that.

Otherwise, looks good to go!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

PlatinumJukebox posted:

You don't have to make an effort to stop commentating when Heather is describing something. It wouldn't be distracting, if you're worried about that.

Otherwise, looks good to go!
Yea, I was mostly fearful of rambling or speaking too much since the tutorial area is kinda heavy with things to explain and I didn't want to quip after everything said. I mostly wanted to make sure people could read it, and that the atmosphere could be kept.

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

And what you call chaos is my beauty.

Niggurath posted:

Looks great to me; go for it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nidoking posted:

I'd like to suggest a rule for the new Rules thread, if we're reworking things. Maybe it's a bit harsh to make it a Rule - it might work better as a clause in the "What is a Test Post" section of the OP, but it's something we see way too much of, in my opinion, and it does nobody any good - "It will be fixed for the actual thread."

I don't see that much of an issue with those kind of test posts because usually the people posting them (or at least, the ones I bother to read) are asking for a critique on a specific thing, generally commentary. If somebody wants to make a post asking about their voice or commentary style or whatever else, I don't think it's at all necessary for them to iron out every little technical problem before asking, especially if they actually know how to fix it. There could be much bigger problems with the test post like, for example, lacking the ability to be funny, or doing a subVLP of a game that really doesn't need subs that aren't as immediately fixable as a technical issue, and I think the Sandcastle needs to be a place for people to worry about bad ideas first and tech issues second.

All that said... yeah, if somebody submits a video or something that is well and truly hosed, then they should be given poo poo for it, and I also agree with your point that the whole practice is kind of lazy, but it's not really harming anyone, and I don't think it's near enough of an epidemic to warrant a specific rule against it.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 28, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

VoidBurger posted:

Thank gawd. About loving time.

opinions_no_one_cares_about.txt

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Zain posted:

It's like a Las Vegas Simulation. Let's play Sin and Punishment!

Sin and Punishment is an On-Rails shooter made by Treasure Co., Ltd. It was released on the N64, but never was released outside of Japan until October 1, 2007 when Nintendo decided to release it on the Wii's NA Virtual Console.

This game is more akin to an earlier title they made called Alien Soldier with the same confusing and bullshit story. One other thing it shares with Alien Soldier is how hard it is and the constant boss fights.

The Plot
The world is in disarray and food stores are running low. Scientist created a creature to be the new food source but after time they grew feral and would be come to known as "ruffians". The Armed Volunteers are called in to deal with them, but also repress the Japanese.

We play as Saki in the Savior Group to fight both the ruffians and the Armed Volunteers.

If you really want to make sense of the plot I highly recommend reading up on it in the Sin and Punishment Wiki

The Videos
Sin 1

Looks good to me. I've been waiting for a good S&P LP.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
What's up Sandcastle, I haven't taken a swing at an SA worthy LP in awhile. Here's a video:

It's about Goemon's Great Adventure, a Goemon Game. A mostly side scrolling game on the Nintendo 64. It came after the first Goemon game on the 64, Legend of the Mystical Ninja.

Let's Play Goemon's Great Adventure

What do you think of this video?

Incel Documentary
Aug 31, 2007

Realistic Conestoga wagon physics!
Hi, I'm attempting to do an LP of Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep and after a fuckton of messing around with PSP recording I think I got the settings just about perfect. So here's a test video with some temporary commentary, please let me know if the audio levels are okay and the video doesn't look lovely?

Test Video

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Watching it right now, everything seems A-OK from a technical standpoint. The video quality is good, doesn't appear to be any nasty things like blurriness, interlacing or ghosting present. Audio seems fine as well, you and Syrg are at relatively even volume and the game is audible without drowning out the commentary or being too quiet to really appreciate. I think you're good to go, I'd watch this, yeah!

Seedy Wizard
Feb 17, 2011

who wants a
body massage

coinbox posted:

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep

I really enjoyed that. The videos look great and your audio levels work really well without the commentary or the game overbearing each other. Good luck with the LP coinbox. :)

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

psymonkey posted:

What's up Sandcastle, I haven't taken a swing at an SA worthy LP in awhile. Here's a video:

It's about Goemon's Great Adventure, a Goemon Game. A mostly side scrolling game on the Nintendo 64. It came after the first Goemon game on the 64, Legend of the Mystical Ninja.

Let's Play Goemon's Great Adventure

Goemon is a criminally underrepresented series in the West, and I'm in the guilty party who hasn't played Great Adventure, so this is perfect for me. This game, at an introduction's glance, seems right in tune with its predecessor's light platforming, swingin' music and JAPAN IN CAPS mood, which makes it a pretty lean fit for your laidback approach. If you're going to keep to your familiar style I don't foresee any complaints about pacing the LP since it lends itself to an unbroken trek barring some unforeseen too-light platforming for any particularly samey stretch. I mean, you're not afraid to edit when things scream for it anyway so I think you're pretty golden. An N64 game doesn't need God's goggles over it to look adequate and your settings seem more than that. I didn't see any complaints from blur, to framerate to your sound. I look forward to seeing how deep this game takes its already cavernous rabbit hole.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

psymonkey posted:

I enjoyed it, but it felt a little long. I think 10 minute videos would work a little better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer Emcee
May 19, 2010

"Looks like your angel has misplaced her halo."
I’m the goddamn Darksheer. Let’s Play Noctropolis

Back in the early days of PC gaming, there was the novelty of FMV’s. Gamers were amazed by the fact that they could play a movie on a disc (as horribly compressed as they were), but soon came to realize that the movies they were watching, not only sucked, added nothing to gameplay. It was the dark age of PC gaming that brought few gems, a slew of awful games, and this nearly forgotten title, Noctropolis.

Noctropolis, a 1994 release developed by Flashpoint Productions, is an attempt to capture the essence of the 90’s superhero comic within the point-and-click adventure game. Though the FMV’s aren’t particularly bad, it’s still a title worth looking at if only because of its mythos and its visually impressive art design. It’s no forgotten classic, but it’s still an entertaining game.

Updates

1. Where we learn the importance of novelty coins

So let me know what you think, sandcastle.

• Locked thread