Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Motronic posted:

But don't be surprised if it goes wrong, and don't think you somehow figured out that roof racks are a big scam.

I thought roof racks were just for the lowered dubber crew. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sockington posted:

Something like that with exceptions.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pop up roof tents own

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Nah, I don't think roof racks are a scam. And a roof-mounted tent is a thing of great beauty.

Thanks for the info on the sunroof, from the way it was enfeebled by a little ice this winter I had thought of it as a kind of early-warning for things going wrong, a weak link that would fail before something really important did. Not so, I guess.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KozmoNaut posted:

Cute, they felt it necessary to rebrand the Fiat engine they're using :v:

(It's a great engine)

Suzuki has just released it as an option on the Swift here, also rebranded

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

dissss posted:

Suzuki has just released it as an option on the Swift here, also rebranded

Comes in some different versions though, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JTD_engine#1.3

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

Something like that with exceptions.

I can't imagine the amount of reinforcing i would need to do to use a roof tent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ozmiander posted:

I can't imagine the amount of reinforcing i would need to do to use a roof tent.

You or the car?

:btroll:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

You or the car?

:btroll:

The car. :smith:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Replaced the belt on my saab which did this the other day as I was overtaking someone with the aircon on max. It took close to 2 hours to untangle all the shreds from behind the pulleys :argh:

View from below:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Couldn't you just cut everything you could see with a tin snips or diagonal cutters and then just pull the strands of belt out?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Sockington posted:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

PBCrunch posted:

Couldn't you just cut everything you could see with a tin snips or diagonal cutters and then just pull the strands of belt out?

I did do a fair bit of hacking, but the worst of it was wrapped between the pulleys and the timing cover. One of the idler pulleys was so wedged it wouldnt even turn any more. It was also the most inaccessible one even with the wheel off, arch liner out and airbox and removed.

I had to force the pulley round gradually with grips, levers and both hands while my dad pulled on the loose belt with his full weight. Repeat multiple times for each strand of belt and they had to come out in order...

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
:q:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tomarse posted:

Replaced the belt on my saab which did this the other day as I was overtaking someone with the aircon on max. It took close to 2 hours to untangle all the shreds from behind the pulleys :argh:

View from below:

The belt on my Altima did something similar a few months ago - except only half the belt broke. :wtc: Made a hell of a racket when it went, but at least it didn't wrap itself around any pulleys.

I noticed the idler pulley was loose and wobbling a bit, that's the only explanation I can come up with for it. Getting to that drat pulley requires unbolting one of the motor mounts and lifting the engine several inches. :suicide:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 27, 2012

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Took it out into the woods on some old logging roads. It's my first AWD car, and this was the first time I've had a chance to take it out and really have fun with it. It had no problem crawling it's way through a dried up river bed, and didn't complain when I really gave it some gas and had some fun pretending to be Colin McRae. I don't care what anyone says, I love my dyke wagon.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Yesterday I did this to my Jetta:

By scraping up against this:

Dammit. That's not good. I spoke with the owner of the car and we agreed on how to handle the repair. I felt really dumb about it because I knew that the spot was tighter than normal, but I *thought* I had it. It turns out that I was off by about 3/4 of an inch.

So this morning I went out and cleaned up the cars to see what the real damage was and was pleasantly surprised to find that Ze Germans take their paint and protective coatings seriously.

Close up of fender:

Some scuffing on the door panel:

Those spots on the fender might be real damage, I'll find out more tomorrow.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Could be worse. Here's the fun that i've been having lately.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
On that subject, this happened about 2 weeks ago. Shes currently sitting in a dark lonley parking lot waiting to be fixed. $4605 in repairs. Uninsured driver hit me in a parking lot broadside at low speed. Thank god I have good insurance.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Arishtat posted:

Close up of fender:

Some scuffing on the door panel:

Those spots on the fender might be real damage, I'll find out more tomorrow.

Now go to the grocery store, get a package of Magic Erasers and watch most of the rest of the marks go away. Make sure you keep everything wet.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Chinatown posted:

On that subject, this happened about 2 weeks ago. Shes currently sitting in a dark lonley parking lot waiting to be fixed. $4605 in repairs. Uninsured driver hit me in a parking lot broadside at low speed. Thank god I have good insurance.

I'm assuming there is suspension damage as well? That doesn't look like much bodywork.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Godfuckingdamnitfuckingcunt

Despite replacing both output shaft seals with new OEM seals, apparently my money pit has started belching gear oil out around the drivers side axle.

I need to find a good transmission shop and just get this drat thing rebuilt instead of rolling the dice on another used transmission. This one is only getting louder, I'm sure in no small part due to its apparent dislike of keeping the gear oil inside.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

If it is anything like the manual transmissions they used in Maximas, the problem is the diff carrier bearing. It is bad and it allows the axle to move in a eccentric way that eggs out the axle seal.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

If it is anything like the manual transmissions they used in Maximas, the problem is the diff carrier bearing. It is bad and it allows the axle to move in a eccentric way that eggs out the axle seal.

This too, but don't overlook a clogged breather first. I had a friend replace rear axle seals on a pickup about 3 times before I found his breather bent over and clogged.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Godfuckingdamnitfuckingcunt

Despite replacing both output shaft seals with new OEM seals, apparently my money pit has started belching gear oil out around the drivers side axle.

I need to find a good transmission shop and just get this drat thing rebuilt instead of rolling the dice on another used transmission. This one is only getting louder, I'm sure in no small part due to its apparent dislike of keeping the gear oil inside.

Did you get the special LSD axle seals? I know the LSD axles look different than the normal ones where they slide into the transmission.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sockington posted:

Did you get the special LSD axle seals? I know the LSD axles look wildly different than the normal ones where they slide into the transmission.

I don't think mine is an LSD - the one I have came from the nissanclub forums, not you. Somebody never responds to PM's, so I couldn't take them up on their offer :colbert::hf::haw: All I know is this is off of a 97 and supposedly had 80k miles, and at least from the outside, it looks identical to my 99 transmission (and my 99 axles popped right in).

It's also really loving loud https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqR3zU5aTOE - I let the clutch out in neutral at 4 seconds in that video. It's coming back off as soon as I either track down yet another transaxle or say gently caress it and get this one rebuilt. The rest of the car (aside from the RR door thanks to some drunk rear end in a top hat) is in excellent shape, so if the cost of a rebuild is under $1500, I'll go for it. It already has a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, trans mounts, motor mounts, and rear main seal (about 300 miles on all of that stuff).

Thankfully, at least, the guy I got this one from said he'd give me a refund on it. Don't know if it'll actually happen or not though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9D76SSgtyw confirms something on the input side is completely hosed. That's with the windows up and a/c on, it's completely drowning out the engine as well except when I stomp it to get on the highway.

(goddamnit why can't I do an inline URL link to youtube now instead of it converting to <video>)

PBCrunch posted:

IIRC, it's the same transaxle with a different bellhousing. That did take out a couple of seals on my old one, but it wasn't pissing like this one is. I don't think the diff is bad on this one either, it goes completely silent if the clutch is in and the car is moving. The old one made nasty noises anytime the car was moving..

Motronic posted:

This too, but don't overlook a clogged breather first. I had a friend replace rear axle seals on a pickup about 3 times before I found his breather bent over and clogged.

I'll double check that tomorrow, thanks. But with the noise it's making it's coming back off pretty soon anyway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 28, 2012

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010
Replaced the bushings on the front swaybar:

Same bushing, old on the left, new on the right. The other side (which doesn't get oil dropped on it so often) wasn't quite that bad.

I also replaced the rear rotors. I was doing brakes all around a month or so ago and Sebro had put labels for two different part numbers on the boxes for a batch of rotors. Naturally, I ordered the part number that didn't match what was actually in the boxes, so I didn't get the rear rotors done with the fronts. Pelican was good about getting the rotors swapped out for the correct ones, but I just got around to finishing the work today.

Also! By using those rotors and bushings, I officially crossed the point of having more $$ in the car since buying it than it cost. :woop:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

(goddamnit why can't I do an inline URL link to youtube now instead of it converting to <video>)

You probably can if you go back and edit your post. The editor is converting links to appropriate tag types if possible, but I bet the edit will keep it as just text.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Happened this weekend, but I snapped a deer's neck (click for huge):

I think the rear glass is bent :stare:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
They really are the stupidest animals. Did you get any meat out of it? That poo poo is tasty.

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011
I replaced the blend door actuator and blower motor resistor in the F150. I can actually enjoy my a/c now and just in time for summer.

Also tracked down an intermittent hard starting issue. Turns out the fuel filter was way overdue for a change. I was surprised it ran as well as it did with all the black sludge that came out of it. Now I just need to find time to change the fluids in the front and rear diffs, transfer case, and tranny.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lowclock posted:

They really are the stupidest animals. Did you get any meat out of it? That poo poo is tasty.

I got hit by a deer while stationary a few years ago. Saw the deer by the road, so I stopped, expecting it to run out in front of me.... and it made a beeline for the car and ran head first into the left front fender. Fell down, got up, ran into it again, fell down, got up... did this 4 or 5 times before wobbling off (I assume to nurse a nasty concussion).

I laughed my rear end off until I parked and realized the door wouldn't open. :stare: drat fender was caved in around the door hinges. Until then I didn't think it was possible to have a negative IQ.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I got hit by a deer while stationary a few years ago. Saw the deer by the road, so I stopped, expecting it to run out in front of me.... and it made a beeline for the car and ran head first into the left front fender. Fell down, got up, ran into it again, fell down, got up... did this 4 or 5 times before wobbling off (I assume to nurse a nasty concussion).

I laughed my rear end off until I parked and realized the door wouldn't open. :stare: drat fender was caved in around the door hinges. Until then I didn't think it was possible to have a negative IQ.

The whole thing is one big deer insurance scam.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

IIRC, it's the same transaxle with a different bellhousing. That did take out a couple of seals on my old one, but it wasn't pissing like this one is. I don't think the diff is bad on this one either, it goes completely silent if the clutch is in and the car is moving. The old one made nasty noises anytime the car was moving..

My brother in law's Maxima transmission would egg out seals after one day and it made no noise at all.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Agreed on a selling price with a guy in Texas, now to figure out shipping.

Also came to an agreement on my next car, now just need to figure out when I can get to Connecticut to pick it up.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I want to know who the misanthropic, baby-handed rear end in a top hat is who designed my sister's Grand Vitara so I can swiftly kick their head in. Changing fan belts should be an easy job, but it is nearly impossible on this vehicle. Why, WHY would you put a T50 screw in the place of the alternator pivot? WHY? Why would you put hard fuel lines and harnesses in front of said pivot bolt so that you have to be a contortionist to even see the pivot bolt? Why would you use such a soft metal screw so that you can spend $4.99 on a T50 bit socket to have it completely stripped without even breaking the thread on the first try? Holy poo poo, whyyy? With brute loving force, I just shoved the alternator toward the engine block with a bigass pry bar, then did the opposite for new belt installation. gently caress that pivot bolt. As long as it's on tight (which it is, I couldn't care any less because three hours were spent cutting up my knuckles). Then came the power steering/AC compressor belt, the belt that was too easy to remove, but all hell to put a new one on. The stupidest loving idler pulley setup I have ever seen in my years of working on cars. That was another couple of hours trying to get the new belt on, but only cutting into more skin. Never again. Never loving again. I will work on other things on my sister's car, but I sure as hell am not changing those belts again.

I should have seen just how moronic the engineering in the engine compartment is after I loathed where the oil filter is (directly under the exhaust manifold on the right side with the steering shaft and brake lines directly in the way). Luckily, I now know how to remove it easily without much cursing and crying, but seriously, there is a huge rear end open space on the other side of the engine. You fuckers at Suzuki couldn't have put it there even remotely? Of course not; that would be too easy.

I finished the job, but I still feel like this: :qq: I have never had a vehicle kick my rear end so much to where I just want to curl up in the fetal position and die. At least the oil was changed without a fuss, and the cabin air filter... holy poo poo. It had never been changed, and it was this black dirty mess of tree bits, dirt, what looked like clumpy bits of lint and cat fur, and who knows that the hell else. It was basically this black brick of filth. I put a new one in, and I immediately felt a stronger, less weird smelling surge of AC blowing from the vents.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

You Are A Elf posted:

I should have seen just how moronic the engineering in the engine compartment is after I loathed where the oil filter is (directly under the exhaust manifold on the right side with the steering shaft and brake lines directly in the way). Luckily, I now know how to remove it easily without much cursing and crying, but seriously, there is a huge rear end open space on the other side of the engine. You fuckers at Suzuki couldn't have put it there even remotely? Of course not; that would be too easy.

To be fair in a RHD model you wouldn't have all that poo poo in the way. No reason to redesign the whole engine for the US market...

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Today I took my car out the open highway and got the poo poo scared out of me.

My friend's '84 VW Transporter with a EJ22 swap blew a head gasket two hours south of me so I went to pick him up. What I didn't know is that my rear left tyre was completely scrubbed bald on the inside. I discovered it when it started raining and the back end started shimmying violently at a 110km/h.

It is apparently normal for skylines to scrub the inside but damnit most of the tyre was still good.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Sponge! posted:

To be fair in a RHD model you wouldn't have all that poo poo in the way. No reason to redesign the whole engine for the US market...

Not Korea nor the biggest car markets are RHD, aside from India, UK, and Japan. Its probably a FWD engine made to be RWD, and serviceability suffers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

DJ Commie posted:

Not Korea nor the biggest car markets are RHD, aside from India, UK, and Japan. Its probably a FWD engine made to be RWD, and serviceability suffers.

Yeah, considering that most of the world is LHD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_hand_drive), I'd suspect that they stuffed a RWD engine into a FWD setup. Or just didn't give two shits :v: