Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Knocked that CFAT outta the park and have a date booked for my interview/medical at the end of the month. For anyone else that has to take that test, I'd say the greatest resource ever is Khan Acadamy. I had gotten a little complacent in doing math by hand, given that the last time I did any non-calculator math was atleast 10 years ago, but I went through the excercises on the site from the absolute beginning and powered my way though them with the help of the videos. Everything comes back pretty quickly I found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I've been given to opportunity to volunteer to go on one of those annual arctic sovereignty exercises next year.

Has anyone gone on one of these? How different would it be from a regular Winter Warfare course?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Op Nanook? Or some other one?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Why am I being tasked with enemy force for the upcoming Jamaican exercise, and they are sending people from India Coy to stand up as a recce section?

That's like total army logic to me.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lassitude posted:

Op Nanook? Or some other one?

Yeah Nanook. I've never even seen an Artic Ranger before, so I guess it could be pretty interesting to train with them.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I've done Nanook before. You go in August, so it really isn't anything like winter indoctrination, as where we were on Baffin Island at least there wasn't any snow. Experiences can vary greatly for Nanook, though. When I went, we flew to Iqaluit and then our platoon flew further north to do community outreach essentially. Other platoons stayed in Iqaluit and participated in the sort of rescue operation training, I think it was. Doing the community outreach was amazing though.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Expect nothing below -10 max for Nanook. It's your average October/November ex 3 months early.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Is anyone else in Esquimalt/Venture? I'm here doing NETPO over the summer and I seem to recall there were a few CSEs and MARS hanging around in this thread.

We have to stay in a dorm style building with 4 beds to a room, it's actually shittier than what I had on basic (and a far cry from the maid serviced hotel rooms I was getting used to in Halifax :negative:) It's a tough life.

Freeze fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 22, 2012

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

Freeze posted:

We have to stay in a dorm style building with 4 beds to a room, it's actually shittier than what I had on basic (and a far cry from the maid serviced hotel rooms I was getting used to in Halifax :negative:) It's a tough life.

I'd say I feel bad for you, but I really don't.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I lived in Nelles Block for a year in a room with three roomates, two of whom were smokers - you had to use a paint scraper to get the tar off the windows for inspections. This wasn't that long ago, either, but they finally did ban smoking in the building.

I've also spent almost as much time in A-Block in Halifax, which makes Nelles look like Juneau Tower.

Funny story - one of the smokers would not leave his bed if he wasn't in class or absolutely had to go to the galley for food. He'd nearly always have a buddy of his bring him something from the galley, more often than not a poutine. Not surprisingly he was 3B-ed out due to crippling health problems a couple of years later.

Not a whole lot of sympathy here for your summer accommodation.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Freeze posted:

Is anyone else in Esquimalt/Venture? I'm here doing NETPO over the summer and I seem to recall there were a few CSEs and MARS hanging around in this thread.

Suck it I had to stay in a four man room with 8 people in it.

Top bunk. Yeah I'm hardcore

Samu fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 23, 2012

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

Freeze posted:

Dammit, you're giving me an urge rant about living in holes in the ground and call you a pussy. Motherfucker, I'm supposed to be out now. Don't do this to me.

...resisting the urge...

Really? You're complaining about four to a room?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
The worst I had was 6 people in a 4 man recce tent in October in Shilo. All of our 5-man/10-man tents were busted. Thank gently caress it was seasonably warm week and a half.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
gently caress parades. I'd rather be patrolling.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Morristron posted:

Really? You're complaining about four to a room?

Yeah it sucks. Also, I only get two pillows which sucks because I find that 3 pillows is the optimum number of pillows for lounging in bed. On top of that we have to change our own sheets instead of the maid doing it??? I told you, it's a tough life.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

My Spirit Otter posted:

The worst I had was 6 people in a 4 man recce tent in October in Shilo. All of our 5-man/10-man tents were busted. Thank gently caress it was seasonably warm week and a half.

Why would you not just sleep outside?

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

Freeze posted:

Yeah it sucks. Also, I only get two pillows which sucks because I find that 3 pillows is the optimum number of pillows for lounging in bed. On top of that we have to change our own sheets instead of the maid doing it??? I told you, it's a tough life.

Obvious troll aside, if you sail with me I will punch you in the face.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Hizawk posted:

Why would you not just sleep outside?

We weren't allowed to, trust me, I tried

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
It's 30 celsius in Eastern Canada and I can't stop rocking the FUR HAT, YUKON STYLE.

Sweet jesus, I love this thing. I'm bringing it with me to my tasking in Val and say I belong to the Foresters.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Barrakketh posted:

It's 30 celsius in Eastern Canada and I can't stop rocking the FUR HAT, YUKON STYLE.

Sweet jesus, I love this thing. I'm bringing it with me to my tasking in Val and say I belong to the Foresters.

I love wearing my FUR HAT, YUKON STYLE. I am going to buy one for every year I am in the military.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN
Tempted to order it, but I don't know if I could face the ridicule.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

mstrkrft posted:

Just do it, it's free and its warm

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mstrkrft posted:

Everyone in the office is jealous of my HAT, FUR, YUKON STYLE. There is no ridicule.

Am I wearing it backwards?

tuyop fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 27, 2012

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN
I'm sold. Just ordered it, I can't wait to embrace the fur.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

tuyop posted:

Am I wearing it backwards?

Ya you are man, unfuck yourself back into proper regs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

My Spirit Otter posted:

Ya you are man, unfuck yourself back into proper regs.

It looks so stupid the other way around though! :ohdear:

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

tuyop posted:

It looks so stupid the other way around though! :ohdear:

Wait, the tall flap with the two snaps isn't the front?

VVV Okay, I thought there was some secret army way to wear it.

HammerOfHope fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 27, 2012

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Ya he had it on right, I was fuckin' around.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

My Spirit Otter posted:

You was taken the piss mate? A right good joke, innit bruv?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

My Spirit Otter posted:

But then why are the snaps there? That's a very useless feature!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

tuyop posted:

But then why are the snaps there? That's a very useless feature!

I'm gonna assume to keep it from falling down onto your face or something. I don't know, bro, mil gear is pretty retarded sometimes.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
So you can unsnap it and use it as a sort of sun-blocking thing, like a baseball cap only entirely ineffective.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

So you can unsnap it and use it as a sort of sun-blocking thing, like a baseball cap only entirely ineffective.

Or pull it over your face if you're trying to sleep and it's cold out!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

My Spirit Otter posted:

Or pull it over your face if you're trying to sleep and it's cold out!

Let me tell you, racking out in 1As is the best.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

tuyop posted:

Oh, they won't let you wear it in combats? I got out before it physically showed up, so I know nothing of the regs.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm going to have to order one of those hats.
I'm surprised that you can't get them at the kit shop or CANEX.

E: If we're talking about gear, is the only way to get a compression bag for my field kit through the kit shop?

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 28, 2012

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
So I just found out via SMS that a person at my unit might be brought up on charges for apparently cheating on her fiancé. Weird way to find that out...

Edit: turns out it was just her fiancé friend trying to find out if she'd cheated on him, n/m

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 28, 2012

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm going to have to order one of those hats.
I'm surprised that you can't get them at the kit shop or CANEX.

E: If we're talking about gear, is the only way to get a compression bag for my field kit through the kit shop?

Seriously? Is there a Mec or something near you?

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

tuyop posted:

Really, that's the only order of dress you can wear it with? Laaame... I wanted to wear it around in June in my NCDs with my sleeves rolled up and a sweet pair of aviators. You know, like the CF had found some weird new sense of style or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Oh yeah, there totally is. I guess there's no use in paying an extra $10 for CADPAT.
I haven't bought anything other than what I was issued before, so I was just being cautious about what can and cannot be in my field kit.