Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
If you want to keep ants away just clean all your floors/problem areas with a 50/50 vinegar/water mix. Acetic acid is an ant's "danger" scent marker doodad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

An observer posted:

If you want to keep ants away just clean all your floors/problem areas with a 50/50 vinegar/water mix. Acetic acid is an ant's "danger" scent marker doodad.

Just white vinegar? I may try that, I have a gallon jug of the stuff under my sink.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I went to a fiber festival/sheep auction today and saw so many awesome working dogs. There were big floofy pyr puppies and a lady who is working on starting a line of working komondor and a kelpie and a huge formentino cane corso and lots of pretty aussies! There weren't any border collies which was sad but kind of confirmed what I've suspected about bcs in the area not being bred to actually work on a farm anymore.

This dog was my favorite. I don't generally like merles but I think minimally marked ones are striking. Especially this one's single white eye patch on solid red merle. So pretty :swoon:

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

RazorBunny posted:

The biggest thing is to identify where they're coming in the house. There's a gel product that comes in a big syringe that you can just squirt into the opening. We used that on our basement window sill and it kills ants like it's going out of style.

My husband has a vendetta against the ants, and sometimes he'll be winning for a while, and then suddenly they're back in force :(

That gel stuff is like crack for ants. It was fascinating squirting it along their little trail in our kitchen & watching them all gorge themselves. The little ant bait stations are great too & should be safe as long as you keep them out of the reach of the dogs.

My husband is just like yours when it comes to ants, partly because I'm crazy allergic to fire ant bites. New tiny hills keep popping up in the backyard & it pisses him off to no end. One day we will conquer those little fuckers.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I don't know why, but I am so sick of hearing cats named Loki.
Within the last 3-4 years it has just became such a trendy cat name. :bang:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Trendy everything name, really.

LowKey Lysmith is the best variation that I've seen, and I support all American Gods references. But for everything else? Yes we understand that you've read a Norse Wikipedia entry and think you're super mischievous and neat :rolleyes:

What it really implies is that their cat or dog or whatever is going to be into bestiality and father an eight-legged horse, a corpse woman, a giant snake and a wolf.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Captain Foxy posted:

Trendy everything name, really.

LowKey Lysmith is the best variation that I've seen, and I support all American Gods references. But for everything else? Yes we understand that you've read a Norse Wikipedia entry and think you're super mischievous and neat :rolleyes:

What it really implies is that their cat or dog or whatever is going to be into bestiality and father an eight-legged horse, a corpse woman, a giant snake and a wolf.

Does it count as bestiality if you're already a beast?

I mean, we have a Scylla and Charybdis in our family....and I thought it was cute :(

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
We're guilty of having a Freya but that's the boyfriend's fault. I wanted to name her Runa. :colbert:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

TVs Ian posted:

Does it count as bestiality if you're already a beast?

I mean, we have a Scylla and Charybdis in our family....and I thought it was cute :(

Other deities/pantheons are underrepresented, underrated and too awesome. I love Scylla and Chary!

Everyone is just into the Norse pantheon right now because of Thor/the Avengers and its not doing nearly enough justice to the amazing sagas and poems of that period to name your chihuahua/etc after a frost giant god. Thor and Odin are also way overused.

I'm all about using mythology names, but hell, think outside the box.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Captain Foxy posted:

father an eight-legged horse
Technically, didn't Loki mother Sleipnir? I seem to recall that was a gender-swap thing. Not that I read Wikipedia or anything. :colbert:

Also, I had a cat named Bella solely because she was beautiful, only to find in the last few years that people assumed it was a Twilight reference. :(

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

Technically, didn't Loki mother Sleipnir? I seem to recall that was a gender-swap thing. Not that I read Wikipedia or anything. :colbert:

Also, I had a cat named Bella solely because she was beautiful, only to find in the last few years that people assumed it was a Twilight reference. :(

You're right, he changed into a mare, seduced a stallion and birthed Sleipnir the Eight-Legged, who became Odin's horse, so Odin was effectively riding around on his nephew.

I...I honestly don't know what gender term to use there.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
If you have carpenter or wood ants it's another story, but if you have lil' scavenger type ants they're really easy to get rid of with some well placed liquid bait.

I ordered some of this stuff recently: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQT5IG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Captain Foxy posted:

Other deities/pantheons are underrepresented, underrated and too awesome. I love Scylla and Chary!

I am a total Greek Gods geek. Lola was so very nearly Lyssa, and if I get a female Patterdale in a couple years I'll probably call her Eris. I think it'd be fitting :v:

Seconding the love for Scylla and Chary (and Kiri's Psyche too).

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Captain Foxy posted:

Balen and Amy are Hercules and Larentia. :colbert:

And Foxy, don't you put your gender terms and labels on this mythology!

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

It would be great if someone named their cat Narcissus. :allears:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Bear Rape posted:

It would be great if someone named their cat Narcissus. :allears:

Done and done, if/when we ever get another cat :v:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Done and done, if/when we ever get another cat :v:

Well now you have a mission for next weekend ;)

We are having another Scylla and Charybdis reunion in about 2 weeks and it will be EPIC. Mostly because Chary has a brain the size of a watermelon seed and is bound not to remember her sister again and ba-ROOOOO for an hour.

And also because this will be the first time we meet Ghost, my sister in laws Sibe :dance:

So to recap we will have the following dogs in our house: Lucy, Guthrie, Bea, Quinn, Chary, Scylla, Ghost, Tonka and Nori. Plus 3 cats. Plus 7 people.

For an entire week. And also note that one dog is a pit and two are prims. This is going to be some kind of beach at Normandy-level dog wrasslin'.

tiddlez
Nov 25, 2006

Nice shirt, Gaywad.

TVs Ian posted:

So to recap we will have the following dogs in our house: Lucy, Guthrie, Bea, Quinn, Chary, Scylla, Ghost, Tonka and Nori. Plus 3 cats. Plus 7 people.

For an entire week. And also note that one dog is a pit and two are prims. This is going to be some kind of beach at Normandy-level dog wrasslin'.

:aaaaa: how big is your house dude? One day i hope to have lotsa dogs aswell.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Fraction posted:

I am a total Greek Gods geek. Lola was so very nearly Lyssa, and if I get a female Patterdale in a couple years I'll probably call her Eris. I think it'd be fitting :v:

Seconding the love for Scylla and Chary (and Kiri's Psyche too).

Greek pantheons are also way overrepresented because they're also very present in media, like the Norse. People also mix up Greek and Roman pantheons and give no fucks about it.

Example: Hercules = Roman name, Herakles = Actual Greek name

Yes I studied classical mythology in my undergrad once I burned out on animal behavior, what of it :colbert:

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
This may throw you into a rage. But until this thread I thought Freya was just a bra brand.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

RAAAAAAAGE ITS FREYJA NOT FREYA

Actually, that's kind of fitting, because she's almost always depicted with huge bare rear end titties.

And both spellings are technically correct, just one's from the original sagas, and the other is a German mistranslation, which makes myth geeks rage so hard

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Does it make you happy or sad that a potential Nori name was Fenrisúlfr, Fen for short?

tiddlez posted:

:aaaaa: how big is your house dude? One day i hope to have lotsa dogs aswell.

Not big enough! :suicide:

It's a 3 bedroom ranch style house on 2 acres, five minutes drive from the local walking path by the schools and fifteen minutes from the state park though so, even if the house itself isn't enormous, the dogs have room to exist. Sometimes we do too!

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Yeeeeah, I'm just over the mythological names, especially Freya/Freja/whatever. Final Fantasy and WoW is most likely where the modern popularity comes from anyway. There's, like, a couple layers of poseur right there.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

Does it make you happy or sad that a potential Nori name was Fenrisúlfr, Fen for short?

:3:

Don't put your hand in his mouth.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

People should pick more descriptive names for their pets. Tummycuddles the cat, for example.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Ugh, this little brown chihuahua-looking mutt dog wandered into our front yard a few minutes ago and started sniffing around. We thought it belonged to the folks on the corner, but all theirs are accounted for. It wouldn't let anyone near it to check its tags, and it booked it down the street. I really hope it finds its way back to its people :(

There seems to be a loose dog in my neighborhood every few weeks. I never see any dead in the road, and I don't think AC comes out and gets them, so my optimistic side is telling me they eventually wander back to their own yard, but I worry :ohdear:

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

My favorite name ever came from a ferret someone surrendered.

Frankencuddle. :black101:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

People should pick more descriptive names for their pets. Tummycuddles the cat, for example.

So what, I'd have Handsome the lazy gently caress, loving crazy bitch, Barky inu desu and Ruddertail wigglepuppy?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

RazorBunny posted:

Just white vinegar? I may try that, I have a gallon jug of the stuff under my sink.

Yep, though any vinegar works (apple cider and red wine leave behind colors though).

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
Greek names:

I still want to name an animal Testicles someday, but pronounced more like a Greek name like a Hercules, and then pretend to get really mad and offended when I go to the vet and they pronounce it all wrong. :rant:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

One of my mom's friends growing up outside Boston in her all-Sicilian neighborhood was named Fortunado Testudo. 'Fortunado' means fortunate or lucky, and 'testudo' actually means head or skull, but everyone always called him Lucky Balls.

Someday I will have an intact male animal named Lucky Balls.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Captain Foxy posted:

Greek pantheons are also way overrepresented because they're also very present in media, like the Norse. People also mix up Greek and Roman pantheons and give no fucks about it.

Example: Hercules = Roman name, Herakles = Actual Greek name

Yes I studied classical mythology in my undergrad once I burned out on animal behavior, what of it :colbert:

Oh I know :v: I've got a mytho-boner, I've spent a lot of time researching the pantheon. Eris is as popular/mainstream as I'd get - if I ever get into breeding smooth faced pyr sheps (when I own a farm omg) I'll be going with rustic god and nymph names. If I have future terriers I'll probably name them after khthonic gods :allears:

As much as I'd like to, I couldn't own a Zeus/Hermes/etc named pet. Too common.

Slightly different but I'd really loving love a terrier named Puck, except for the possible fallout from hollering PUUUUCKKKKK across a field.

Brillig
Oct 21, 2008

You know the world isn't fair at all. Titles aren't fairly distributed either. In time you'll learn my son. -2Bit
I would never name an animal Eris because when you say it out loud without spelling it, most people will think you named it Aeris. :(

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Fraction posted:

Slightly different but I'd really loving love a terrier named Puck, except for the possible fallout from hollering PUUUUCKKKKK across a field.

FUUUUUUUCCKKK is always appropriate to yell at a terrier.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Brillig posted:

I would never name an animal Eris because when you say it out loud without spelling it, most people will think you named it Aeris. :(

I have no idea who Aeris is sooooo

Captain Foxy posted:

FUUUUUUUCCKKK is always appropriate to yell at a terrier.

Not when there is a primary school literally on your street! I doubt parents/children would appreciate it, no matter how appropriate it'd be.

Puck/gently caress: best terrier name.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

"Phoque"

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Fraction posted:

I have no idea who Aeris is sooooo

Final Fantasy, again.

FF ruins everything.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Why do you give your dogs such larger-than-life names from ancient mythological gods of old? Is it because they're so boring in real life that you have to compensate through their names?

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

El Gar posted:

Why do you give your dogs such larger-than-life names from ancient mythological gods of old? Is it because they're so boring in real life that you have to compensate through their names?

Now psycho-analyse my choice of the name 'Mouse' tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Your cats name is Trophy.

That being said, dogs named Loki disappoint me by not shapeshifting or attempting to rape their half-sisters.

• Locked thread