Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

lupe's producer, not lupe himself, went out of his way and asked the original musician that pete rock sampled if he was cool with recreating his original music.
that's beyond anything pete rock did when he decided to make his beat out a sample many years ago.

pete rock's material was a loop of stolen music he didn't make. and he's upset about someone else recreating it? regardless if it was a remake or a loop jack, who the hell is pete rock to be ambassador of this situation?

he was probably just jealous that he wasn't involved, and now that it has been resolved, he's going to get paid to do a collab with lupe in the future. ridiculous.

i think pete should apologize to lupe's producer, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

cardedagain posted:

lupe's producer, not lupe himself, went out of his way and asked the original musician that pete rock sampled if he was cool with recreating his original music.
that's beyond anything pete rock did when he decided to make his beat out a sample many years ago.

pete rock's material was a loop of stolen music he didn't make. and he's upset about someone else recreating it? regardless if it was a remake or a loop jack, who the hell is pete rock to be ambassador of this situation?

he was probably just jealous that he wasn't involved, and now that it has been resolved, he's going to get paid to do a collab with lupe in the future. ridiculous.

i think pete should apologize to lupe's producer, too.

You are posting in the hiphop thread. Are you trolling by saying 'pete rock stole music' or just dumb?

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Even if he had got Pete Rocks blessing, remaking a very classic and very personal song as his lead single is a weird move. Could he not have used any other beat?

Also, Freddie Gibbs dropped one with TI and Jeezy, http://www.sharebeast.com/l0613rijqrml , which makes me wonder, does anyone have an ETA for Babyfacekilla?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I agree with temple, it's not like he used the sample in a particularly different way than Pete Rock did. Using a sample someone else used isn't intrinsically bad, but if you're not putting your own interpretation on it, you're just biting. That's fine for mixtapes where it's just how it works, but for an album track that's shameful.

edit: also, seriously, T.R.O.Y. is a fundamental track in hip hop history, if you're gonna use that sample you better be making it your own.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lupe has no shame whatsoever when it comes to making music. Remember after his last album he ran around trashing it constantly after hyping it. The comment about him being locked in a booth and having to rap his way out is kinda funny since you could describe that as being what happened with his last album.

It really sucks though because Lupe's a legit really good rapper but he always seems to get caught up in random garbage that makes him look bad.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...

The Rooster posted:

Also, Freddie Gibbs dropped one with TI and Jeezy, http://www.sharebeast.com/l0613rijqrml , which makes me wonder, does anyone have an ETA for Babyfacekilla?

I like everyone on the track but poo poo that chorus is just loving obnoxious.

I really want to like it :(

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Regnevelc posted:

Why didn't Drake respond?
"Diss me and you'll never hear a reply for it"

Drake's too busy loving strippers and getting tour money. Plus the Clipse is one of his favorite hip-hop acts of all time. He gets gushy when he talks about the Pusha T autographed mic he bought off eBay.

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012

cardedagain posted:

actually, pete rock got tom scotts blessing for troy as well

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

cardedagain posted:

it's all polished horrorcore.

Bizzare ain't polished poo poo. And even if he was, you can't polish poo poo.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

alansmithee posted:

Lupe has no shame whatsoever when it comes to making music. Remember after his last album he ran around trashing it constantly after hyping it. The comment about him being locked in a booth and having to rap his way out is kinda funny since you could describe that as being what happened with his last album.

It really sucks though because Lupe's a legit really good rapper but he always seems to get caught up in random garbage that makes him look bad.

Don't defend Lupe for that LOSERS fiasco, his "artistic touch" was all over that pile of poo poo and I dont believe for a second it was the labels fault.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

LASERS/LOSERS whatever was Lupe's baby because he fought so hard against his label and I knew I would never listen to it. Lupe left alone CAN BE wack and he obviously wanted more control. I'd say Lupe is like the gateway drug for kids to explore more meaningful hiphop than can go down the Immortal Tech/Mos Def line of revolutionary babble or maybe DOOM or Dead Prez skilled but conscious tastes. I think Lupe has a good heart and is worth the hassle but not worth defending when he fucks up.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Well I went ahead an e-mailed one of the dudes from 28 years and got this back.

Wes posted:

Hey Name,

28 Years was just a one off but we might do an r&b song with a producer friend of ours at some point. We are busy working on other projects and haven't had time to produce another video. Hope all is well!

-Wes

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

the black husserl posted:

Don't defend Lupe for that LOSERS fiasco, his "artistic touch" was all over that pile of poo poo and I dont believe for a second it was the labels fault.

Normally I wouldn't but the two singles he had lined up for the album that were good didn't make the first version (iirc they got rereleased later for like some deluxe itunes only version). Also I can't remember who it was but there was some interview I was reading where someone actually was supposed to be on the beats for the show goes on and the other single but they were pulled from him for lupe's radio tracks. He had been doing a version of the album for like 2 years before it came out on his tours and stuff, but that pretty much got axed when he finally got back with his label and they agreed to release it.

My problem wasn't so much that he did a bad album, but that he would be pimping it on tv and his twitter and stuff, while he's doing interviews at the same time saying it's garbage and w/e.

Lupe always said that he had roughly half the tracks he liked a lot and half he didn't, and that sounds about right. The album was really bad but there were a couple of decent tracks. And I don't see how anyone can listen to SLR and not think he's one of the best (at least when he tries).

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 27, 2012

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Yeah, this was the single Lupe refused to do and lead to his label woes. And from what I understood....Lupe made the song first but the label wanted something more pop. Lupe refused to change it, so they passed it to BOB. Basically, the label gave him the song and most of lyrics and Lupe just wouldn't perform it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PTDv_szmL0

Should have done it, IMO.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

temple posted:

Yeah, this was the single Lupe refused to do and lead to his label woes. And from what I understood....Lupe made the song first but the label wanted something more pop. Lupe refused to change it, so they passed it to BOB. Basically, the label gave him the song and most of lyrics and Lupe just wouldn't perform it.

Would it still have feature Bruno Mars. Cause that dude sucks. A lot.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Yeah, it would have.

I know it sounds crazy and I've been googling around but I swear I heard Lupe explain this about a year ago. He and his management and thus label were going head to head over his album. Everyone negotiated down to Lupe doing Nothing on You as his lead single to give his album some boost. But Lupe wouldn't cooperate. So the label got impatient and traded Nothing for You with BOB and Lupe conceded to that Tight Rope song with Janelle Monae. The BOB song blew up and the Tight Rope song was forgotten. So the label was like gently caress it and let Lupe have his way with the album but he didn't have the budget or time to record anything else.

So Lupe was downplaying the album as not what he wanted but he had to own it because he wanted it out. Its just silly and dumb but he played the game wrong and had to look foolish.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

temple posted:

This song is a nightmare but anything, anything, other than interpolated modest mouse. I swear to god that song was like having a Target collapse and kill your heart. If Lupe accepted "show must go on" but rejected bob cheese its the final word on him.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
I thought the Lupe single he didn't do was Airplanes with Hayley Williams from Paramore. That song was an even bigger hit for BOB I'm pretty sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-6eKAVV0MI here is Lupe's original version.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Google lupe suicidal

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

temple posted:

Google lupe suicidal

what a loving joke

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

temple posted:

Google lupe suicidal

Holy poo poo that's dumb. The dude was probably my favorite rapper for a short period of time, too.

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW
Does anyone have that image of lil wayne at like 14 sitting on a couch smacked out with I think it was BG? I want to show someone and I can't find it anywhere.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPwIyGSPQLs

Tito Lopez on 5 fingers of death

holy gently caress he kills the 2nd 5th/6th beats

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

new krit is streaming on npr, and new sl jones and burn one is dope.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Told myself I wasn't going to listen to the Krit stream... lasted about 2 minutes hah. I haven't finished it yet (cut it off half-way because it wasn't loud enough through my lappy speakers, only just found a pair of decent speakers) but this is really, really good. I'm glad he put Money On The Floor on there, will be good to have that song for real rather than just watching the youtube every now and then.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

That Johnny Quest shout out and Haji punch line just made him my new favorite rapper.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

vanbags posted:

"Diss me and you'll never hear a reply for it"

Drake's too busy loving strippers and getting tour money. Plus the Clipse is one of his favorite hip-hop acts of all time. He gets gushy when he talks about the Pusha T autographed mic he bought off eBay.
ah ok. I like that though. No reason to respond, beef is dumb.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
What is Pusha's deal anyway? Isnt this like diss #3 or something?

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

cardedagain posted:

new krit is streaming on npr

ughhhhh. i could see krit going this way on his past few releases, but didnt want to believe it would happen.

the new gucci tape is the best thing hes done since 2010 so everyone go grab that

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
gently caress I don't even want to contemplate enjoying this gucci tape more than krit's album. but here I am. going to have to give it another listen. i don't think we'll ever get another krit wuz here. he's progressing his sound so much, I mean I enjoyed it and I'll probably still buy it but :smith:

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
New glacial rap from BSBD and Nacho Picasso well worth the $5 donation: http://nachopicasso.bandcamp.com/album/exalted

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

TenaciousTomato posted:

gently caress I don't even want to contemplate enjoying this gucci tape more than krit's album. but here I am. going to have to give it another listen. i don't think we'll ever get another krit wuz here. he's progressing his sound so much, I mean I enjoyed it and I'll probably still buy it but :smith:

oh i havent heard it yet, more just referring to the fact its streaming on npr, which says a lot. entering roots-levels of adult contemporary rap

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Nah, it's not like that. It still evokes that strong UGK influence; if anything, it has less contemplative, more street banger type songs.

edit: It's really good, too. Better than returnof4eva.

edit2: He reminds me so much of Pimp C. It's great to have his spiritual successor so soon after he died...

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 28, 2012

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...

farmtrill posted:

oh i havent heard it yet, more just referring to the fact its streaming on npr, which says a lot. entering roots-levels of adult contemporary rap

haha

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

farmtrill posted:

ughhhhh. i could see krit going this way on his past few releases, but didnt want to believe it would happen.

the new gucci tape is the best thing hes done since 2010 so everyone go grab that

Plain Jane at the end made me go back to Trap Back and I think I prefer it to I'm Up atm. On Krit, gently caress that NPR bullshit, album just bangs man.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

god drat new gucci.....

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Lupe got hosed on his last album and you can tell when you listen to Food & Liquor, SLR, FOTP, and especially The Cool. I think The Cool and his last two mixtapes
killed Lasers and the production was not only better, but sounded like the Lupe I like.

He needs to chill with the suicidal talk though. I would have told the chairman "gently caress you!" like Eminem and then release a Marshall Mathers LP of my own, or try to anyway.

...And I don't give a drat about his new single. It's bad and it won't sell.
A deadly combo for this future with Atlantic.

mister ginger
Jul 5, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Todd Rundgren on that fifth beat is sooo nice

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

UP AND ADAM posted:

Nah, it's not like that. It still evokes that strong UGK influence; if anything, it has less contemplative, more street banger type songs.

edit: It's really good, too. Better than returnof4eva.

edit2: He reminds me so much of Pimp C. It's great to have his spiritual successor so soon after he died...

I had this discussion the other day with a friend and I can't see how KRIT is the spiritual successor of Pimp C anymore. He borrows heavily from the same aesthetic, but Pimp C never really talked about social issues with the same sort of depth or awareness as KRIT demonstrates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rline
Nov 29, 2003

GET MONEY posted:

New glacial rap from BSBD and Nacho Picasso well worth the $5 donation: http://nachopicasso.bandcamp.com/album/exalted

great album and great series, these guys have been pumpin poo poo out like crazy

dont sleep on this gothic thuggery

• Locked thread