Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007

Cbouncerrun posted:

He IS on a console. And I don't see how being on a PC would be easier anyway, the knife doesn't need to be aimed.

After watching again, it appears you're right. I normally play with default or lower sensitivity on 360, so I normally can't turn left and right as quick as he does in the videos. I just attributed that to a mouse. It does make a difference, though. I always liked PC fps' better because the sensitivity of the mouse gives you a little bit better response time than a controller. I've always been terrible with high sensitivity settings on consoles, though, so that probably varies by person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowbeef
Apr 21, 2010

Jastiger posted:

One of my favorite pasttimes is Pubstombing TF2 pubbies. I've been playing TFC/TF2 for over 10 years (mega nerd I know) and I've become quite good at it. I LOVE destroying servers.

IOWA STATE CYCLONES DEFEATS YOU.

Muahahahha

I live in Ames. Did you take on this name after we trolled Oklahoma?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

They're not doing it because knife kills don't count to your score, so the knifing guy will never win. It's why they're getting so mad.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it take away enemy kills and keeps them stuck with lovely guns? Isn't that a totally legit tactic in a team game if you cause your team to gain monster guns way before the enemy and you keep the enemy score depressed?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Goofballs posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it take away enemy kills and keeps them stuck with lovely guns? Isn't that a totally legit tactic in a team game if you cause your team to gain monster guns way before the enemy and you keep the enemy score depressed?

Gun Game isn't team.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Goofballs posted:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Gun Game isn't team.
This. It's not like Counterstrike where there are teams, it's just a big free for all.

So the knifing is literally forcing everybody to stay in this horrible limbo, full of whiny idiots who all have access to a microphone.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Slappy Moose posted:

horrible limbo, full of whiny idiots who all have access to a microphone.

This is the most accurate description of the COD player base ever written.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

You know what it doesn't matter, the videos were funny

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 28, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Aqua Hamster posted:

My favorite thing about those Black Ops knifing videos is that apparently only pussies use knives.

And ignoring how a knife kill is called a 'humiliation' because you have to be a lovely person in the first place to get stabbed by a knife while holding a machine gun.

bucketmouse posted:

Gib auction exploit

This is an amazing story. I love it when people do invisible underhanded stuff like this that leaves everyone in the game absolutely mystified.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 28, 2012

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I don't know how many people are unfamiliar with Call of Duty but the knife is a win button, and it's at its best in gun-game where once everyone else has moved past the pistol they can't run as fast as you, they can't switch to other guns when reloading, no grenades, no equipment, no perks etc. You really don't have to worry about much going knife only.

Knife only in gun-game is the best thing about Black Ops.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Whenever anyone mentions knife speed boosts, all I can think of is FPS Doug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQFYceNZS8
You run faster with a knife. Everyone runs faster with a knife!

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

.TakaM posted:

I don't know how many people are unfamiliar with Call of Duty but the knife is a win button, and it's at its best in gun-game where once everyone else has moved past the pistol they can't run as fast as you, they can't switch to other guns when reloading, no grenades, no equipment, no perks etc. You really don't have to worry about much going knife only.

Knife only in gun-game is the best thing about Black Ops.

To go along with this, aim assist affects knives. Guy runs past you? 9 times out of 10 you'll whip around and stab him still.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Whenever anyone mentions knife speed boosts, all I can think of is FPS Doug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQFYceNZS8
You run faster with a knife. Everyone runs faster with a knife!

Whenever anyone mentions knives period, I think of one of my favorite ads for a videogame ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJSj3BsAl4

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
I think I've got one more really good mud story about implementors not thinking things through all the way.

The Best RPG Item Of All Time Ever

So PvP was a thing but it had consequences similar to Ultima Online and similar MMOs : If you playerkilled, you'd get flagged a murderer and all mobs classified as 'guards' would hate you forever. This presented sort of a problem because the only way out of recall was past Hassan, who was a guard. Since people still wanted the PvP experience, one of the implementors wrote War.

War was a simple arena where PvP didn't count. You'd start it with "war start" and if enough people did "war join" after the announcement, you could run around this little 20ish-room arena and kill the crap out of eachother with the last man standing claiming a handful of quest points.

This was moderately fun and a great way to get easy QP if you were any good about it, but people complained that some builds (namely Thieves, whose skills involved multiple attacks per round plus possible conditional damage multipliers) had huge advantages over other classes. One day, some implementor came up with the bright idea to have items spawn in the arena to randomize combat a bit. The next day the arena gained some random healing potion spawns.

But this isn't about healing potions. Whoever set the arena spawns up figured that even with healing potions mages would have no chance to kill a properly built fighter as most effective mage burst-damage methods required either burning all your mana or using a bunch of reagents. This lead to the creation of the wand of meteors, which was set to spawn in a single room of the arena.

Here's some genericized stats for this this thing. For this to make sense, keep in mind that a maximum level (Lv. 101) character would have roughly 3000 HP, and that most spells' power is directly derived from the user's level except for wands and scrolls which just use some variable on the item. Whenever you zap someone with a wand or read a scroll, all 3 spells in the spell slots go off on whatever you're targeting with their appropriate level.

code:
wand meteors
a wand of meteors
a wand of meteors is here.
spawns with 3-4 charges
spell slot a: Lv. 95 Meteor
spell slot b: Lv. 95 Meteor
spell slot c: Lv. 95 Meteor
minimum level to equip: 1
sell price : 1 silver
In a nutshell, you could pick this thing up and zap someone a few times for guaranteed good damage regardless what level you were. Mages got damage boosts off it too and the arena wound up sort of balanced. Maybe. For the one mage that got the wand, assuming they had to take down 3 or fewer targets.

code:
Sirius zaps Kord with a wand of meteors.
Sirius' meteor DECIMATES Kord! (735 damage)!
Sirius' meteor ANNIHILATES Kord! (812 damage)!
Sirius' meteor ANNIHILATES Kord! (808 damage)!
Kord is DEAD!! 
You hear Kord's death cry.
Kord's severed leg falls to the floor.

I'm sure by now most of you can figure out where this is going. This wand didn't have any precautions to keep it from being carried out of the arena after war ended and the minimum level to use it was *1*. Basically the implementor responsible for this thing had unknowingly created guaranteed way for a character of any level to output ~2100-2400 damage in a single action to any target in the game.

This lead to suicide bombers. Is there someone you want dead for some reason? Just roll a level one character, stick a :wom: on him and have him blast away at your target. 2400 damage not enough? Make TWO newbies, give both of them a wand, and have them zap together. Oh no he's dead and we're murderers! Welp time to delete these level ones. More benign uses of meteor spam involved killing boss mobs in one or two shots and powerleveling, but dropping a few helpful meteors on a dude in the middle of a boss fight was the easiest and most effective way to get raged at in the game.

Eventually the wand got removed with little fanfare, but it was a good 4 months after we figured out the wonderful things it could be used for.

Oh, an aside regarding the arena : Thieves have a skill named disarm. This just removes the target's weapon, puts it on the floor of the current room, makes it unlootable, and counts as a PVP action. For the ultimate in directed griefing you could eliminate all the competition in the arena aside from your target and then disarm them just as you were about to die. With proper timing they'd kill you and immediately be declared the winner and transported back to recall without their weapon. At this point you would immediately start another war forcing the arena to refresh its items, which would flush everything left in the arena including the dropped weapon.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 28, 2012

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

alright if we're going to tell wow stories, my favorite also comes from goons.

When one of the early wow guilds came from this site it was called "Boys Kissing Boys"

we wound up all being hunters and taming the rare pink flamingo looking pet in mulgore and then running around battlegrounds as naked dwarves.

I would be standing around on that server and get death threats (there's a lot of homophobes in wow).

About a week before I quit that server I was running around everywhere doing /me magically makes your rear end say: (before everything I said)
It earned me a bunch of wonderful responses and angst but my favorite was a very confused guy who I'm almost certain was a chinese gold farmer /telling me over and over "my arse not meant to talk"

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
This one may be less griefing than a very unintentional DDoS:

Runescape

One of my friends used to be really big into Runescape, and used a script program to occasionally spam trading messages. Well one night when I was over, we decided to take off the delay to see what would happen.

Well, as it happens, Runescape at the time had no spam prevention. This meant that within seconds of him starting the script, the server hit a wall of horrible lag. Now we were finding it hilarious, since pubbies were able to get a few chat messages out, mostly confused at what was happening, when a surprising, but strangely beautiful thing happened.

The Server shut down.

Not only that, but all of the servers were down. Yes, a game with hundreds of concurrent players managed to get slowed down and ultimately shut down by a 15 year old at a lan party.

Byond Game

I can't remember the name of the game, but I played an online BYOND game that was almost completely item based. Player levels only counted for how strong of equipment you could wear, and you got one stat point for each level.

The way everyone on the server played the game was to have a crafting alt for each crafting skill, and one main character that was loaded to the brim with 100-point crafting gear.

Well eventually, the main developer on the game decided that nobody should be able to use alts anymore, and as a result, raised the level cap to 5x the previous one, and added the ability to respec skill points.

Funnily enough, the respec system had two glaring flaws.

1. Points could go negative when respecing.
2. if you set a skill to a negative value, it would revert to the absolute value of that number whenever you used anything that used that skill.

So when I found this out, I reset my character to level 1, and made a set of adventurer gear.

Now with my outrageous crafting bonuses, the starting crafting stuff was stronger than the highest tiered item crafted at 100 crafting skill. The Adventurer gear items also had the property of not showing the item's stats whenever a player was inspected, as they couldn't be enchanted.

So for about a week after school, I went around to all the high traffic areas and slaughtered people while laughing because nobody could figure out how a level 1 with crap gear was slaughtering everyone. Finally, when it started to get boring, I went to the base of the big clan that had almost all the high level population and just cleared it out. I went tile to tile, breaking everything from scenery to their security/buff crystals in one shot.

The resulting rage was pretty hilarious, and I got threatened with death, FBI investigation, and hacking for loving with these guys.

Eventually the bug was found and I was banned, but it was worth it. The developer never ended up learning to check that stuff, because a few weeks later it came out that people were buying negative amounts of items to shops for money, and the developer shut down the game right after.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

cowbeef posted:

I live in Ames. Did you take on this name after we trolled Oklahoma?

No I've always had Iowa in my name since no one associates games with Iowa. It's a troll usually by saying IOWA #1. People get all pissy. It is just funny for me in TF2 because I'm really good at it, and attribute my skill to being in Iowa (I'm not anymore, wish I was)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

bucketmouse posted:

Wonderful MUD stories

These are my favorites. I love reading stories like this and MUDs allow for so much crazy fuckery. :allears:

It almost makes me want to start mudding again, but then I remember that most MUDs are terrible and poo poo like this happens once in a thousand hours of playing if you're lucky.

Unless it's hatemoo, but these days the only grief possible in hatemoo is "be Benaron, kill newbies all day every day, harvest tears from people who can't fight back without getting banned" and that's kind of overdone at this point.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Enos Shenk posted:

I hate to be That Guy that posts a couple WoW stories, but I've seen and done a few amusing things in that game before I finally quit it.

The emote story reminded me of my time on RP servers back when the game was still fairly new. I had initially rolled on an RP server because the people I'd run into on the PvP servers during beta made my brain want to hang itself in a dark alley. It goes beyond being just immature or annoying, a lot of these people were so bent on killing everything that walked across their paths that it bordered on a compulsion. It was creepy, and I thought on an RP server I could at least deal with harmless psychos.

Man, was I wrong about that one. There was one particular RP guild on the Silver Hand server called "Full Circle". It was basically comprised of a motley crew of rejects that had been chased out of various other guilds for being too weird or drama-prone. After a little while, they started running a weekly RP tavern out of some forgotten area of Stormwind, complete with guild members RPing the servers, bringing people drinks, etc. They really played this poo poo up on the Silver Hand forums and talked about it as much as they could, which was A LOT.

My best friend at the time, a chick we'll call O, went to one of the tavern events and declared it the stupidest, creepiest poo poo she'd ever seen. I peeked in there with her and she was basically right; the 'leader', Grandis, was essentially using these events to grandstand and try to be as internet famous as possible. The player had his character doing ridiculous bardic numbers with massive /em spam, bragging to people about his character's supposed achievements in the last week, and so on.

O and I decided if Grandis wanted to be internet famous, we'd make him internet famous. It's important to know here that Grandis, as a player, was hosed UP. He was a 19 year old wannabe transsexual with weird need to be the center of attention and a hair-trigger temper. He also has the distinction of having the worst reason for wanting to change genders I have ever heard. Normally you expect to hear something like 'I don't feel comfortable in my own skin', 'I can only face the day with a male/female persona', or something else profound.

Grandis's reason? I know I can get laid as a woman. This was articulated to me personally.

Grandis's in-game persona was a fairly typical Mary Sue. He played a woman (of course), and made her up to be an impeccably ethical and observant Warrior. The entire gimmick was to get people to IC-ly ask "why didn't you become a Paladin", at which point Grandis would primp and launch into his character's life story.

So, here's what we did: There was one particular roleplayer on the server named Parjack, who used his very unserious warlock RP as an excuse to constantly make jokes about night elf slave trading. We talked to him quick and asked if it was OK if we namedropped him for his gimmick at something we were cooking up. We gave him minimal details and he said OK.

Then, I created a gnome rogue alt and leveled him up to level ~10 in a couple hours of play. I bought some black ragged leather from a merchant and used Engineering to craft some goggles to give him the look I wanted. The level 10 also kept Grandis from later using the 'durr hurr level 1 alt' cop-out that RPers love to use when they've gotten burned.

Then, O made a Night Elf alt that we stripped near naked. Then we logged out in a building nearby the Full Circle tavern and waited.

When the time came, O and I RP-walked into the tavern in the middle of one of Grandis's disgusting musical numbers. He was singing about love and the stars or some poo poo and /eming altogether too much nonsense about his character's eyes sparkling as she sang.

My gnome cleared his throat loudly and announced that he had a delivery for Grandis from Mr. Parjack, and motioned to O's night elf. O did a fantastic job of RPing a scared wastrel, looking around furtively, shrinking from anyone who tried to touch her, the whole loving bit. Grandis tried to continue his revolting song, but pretty soon the entire bar is in an uproar and he HAS to stop.

Grandis spittingly denies it, but I just keep lying my rear end off and embellishing details, like the place the deal was struck, the amount Grandis paid up front for the slave, I even twisted the knife on his transsexual urges by saying the purpose was for 'spare parts' for a 'body reconstruction' for one of his 'friends'.

At that point, Grandis FLIPS and starts screaming in game, trying to grab my gnome. But, since we're in Stormwind, he can only /em it, which means I'm perfectly free to /em back that I flipped away. His crew seizes O's night elf and starts cooing that it's gonna be OK, but O, in a moment of utter brilliance, RPs their stupid chivalry as too overwhelming; her elf has a panic attack and dies on the floor of the tavern.

Well at this point the gnome is annoyed about wasted product and says as much. The entire guild closes in on me, but I RP-use the Vanish skill and sprint away into one of the nearby canals. I thought that would be the end of it, because they'd chased me out, but ohhhh no. When I decloaked to swim out, a druid buddy of Grandis's flips into her cat form and starts stalking me (druids, in Cat, have a skill called Track Humanoids that makes players show up on their map). She's hissing threatening messages and I figure it's getting too hot, so I pop my hearthstone. I'm hearthed in Menethil Harbor, which is basically halfway across the continent from Stormwind. Surely, at this point, they'll gently caress off, right?

HELL NO. O alerts me that someone's used /whois to figure out where I've gone and now everyone is scrambling to the fast transit system to hunt my rear end down. Totally improvising at this point, I decide to give them a merry chase from Menethil Harbor to an Alliance-friendly dungeon in the Hillsbrad Foothills (Dun Garok). I move only in stealth, because that way their druids can't spook me from long range. What followed was a harrowing 45 minute escapade of cat and mouse where about 7 level 60 characters were combing 3 zones for my character. I died to mobs that were 30 levels over me a couple of times, but I always made sure to die off the beaten path so I wouldn't be spotted by any Full Circles racing by on their epic mounts.

The most gutwrenching moment was when I was sneaking across a bridge from the Wetlands to the Arathi Highlands and saw two Full Circles heading straight at me. I jump off the rope bridge and fall what has to be about 100 feet into the ocean, surrounded by high level and very hostile naga. As it turns out, this is probably the best thing I could've done, since there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for anyone to ever be down in that area. The area was used for nothing, the naga were totally generic and forgettable, and no quests targeted them at all. But, their nesting grounds were right on the border of two zones, so when they spammed /whois to figure out where I was, it changed constantly. I caught snippets of the general chat in each zone of various Full Circle members angrily asking if anyone had seen me. I died a few more times, but I eventually made it to the shores of Hillsbrad Foothills and my goal. I hung out up front for them to show up, and finally a Full Circle rogue found me hanging out up front. She arrogantly declared she'd caught me, but I told her it was too late - this was my hide-out, and I'd be reporting their unruliness to Mr. Parjack.

Waving goodbye and saying farewell, I popped Vanish again, activated Sprint, and hid myself in a corner until I could log out.

The forums ERUPTED the next day with the story. Grandis angrily demanded the forum tell them who I was, and flamed Parjack for being part of it. Parjack denied he knew anything (he legitimately didn't), and made a show of explaining his RP to the RP nerds while laughing up his sleeve. The Full Circles either flamed me or said they were 'disappointed at the laziness' because they went to some of the world locations I'd namedropped and there was nothing there. Most of the rest of the forum laughed their asses off as more and more of the story came out, and it quickly became trendy to grief the poo poo out of the Full Circle tavern. So for the next month they had to deal with people showing up playing drunk hookers and drug addicts until they finally just gave up on the events completely.

Grandis attempted to bother everyone who crossed his path for a month, and even resorted to bothering the admins to get my identity/IP address, vowing to make me 'feel what he felt', always implying there was a beating in store for me. It only stopped after an admin gave him a two-day ban for putting in worthless reports.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Speaking of emotes: In UO there were commands to make your character do pretty much every in game animation, but they weren't really well known by anyone. My friend figured it out and went through the different numbers till he found the attack animation.

Like most of these games towns in UO were protected by guards, and attacking someone in town was basically suicide. So we changed our text colour to red, matching the emote text, and ran around spamming "*You see Dr_Amazing attacking you*" and doing the attacking animation. The other person would call the guards, but since we weren't really attacking, they wouldn't come kill us. Most people would resort to hitting us back, which was actually the first attack, causing the guards to come and kill them for us.

I was pretty low level, and honestly was never very good at that game, but I got a ton of rare armour by messing with whoever had the best stuff.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Coolguye posted:

Night Elf slave trading shenanigans

This is like the Iliad of griefing. A truly epic journey.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I love that for once the grief involves staying in-character in a roleplaying environment.

My WoW server of choice is a roleplaying server with a mostly PvE focus - there's not much RP. I was surprised to find a few weeks ago that I'd picked up a crazy report-stalker who took objection to my light-hearted style of roleplay. Upon noticing me "harassing" someone (offering to sell them mount insurance while wearing bunny ears and a pink dress) he announced proudly that he'd reported me for harassment.

I dug a little deeper and it turned out that this was a certain guy who exclusively played female gnomes due to some sort of sexual attraction to them. I asked him for some details about his report, he continued to smugly inform me that he "hated" me and had been filing countless tickets against me for everything under the sun from trolling to this alleged "harassment". I pointed out that none of these tickets had even had a GM contact me, which only seemed to stoke his fire.

You don't even need to talk to some people to grief them - just existing is bad enough!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Enallyniv posted:

I love that for once the grief involves staying in-character in a roleplaying environment.

My WoW server of choice is a roleplaying server with a mostly PvE focus - there's not much RP. I was surprised to find a few weeks ago that I'd picked up a crazy report-stalker who took objection to my light-hearted style of roleplay. Upon noticing me "harassing" someone (offering to sell them mount insurance while wearing bunny ears and a pink dress) he announced proudly that he'd reported me for harassment.

I dug a little deeper and it turned out that this was a certain guy who exclusively played female gnomes due to some sort of sexual attraction to them. I asked him for some details about his report, he continued to smugly inform me that he "hated" me and had been filing countless tickets against me for everything under the sun from trolling to this alleged "harassment". I pointed out that none of these tickets had even had a GM contact me, which only seemed to stoke his fire.

You don't even need to talk to some people to grief them - just existing is bad enough!

I don't know why, but some people seem to think that by reporting someone they're loving them over and their target will be banned. I've had multiple people accuse me of hacking, tell me they've reported me and then smugly tell my to enjoy my ban. Nothing has ever come of it.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I have a couple UO stories.

In early UO, greater poison potions could cause perma stat loss. There was also a bug where you could use crappy leather +str items with a +str spell and make the minor str boost from the spell stick after the spell wore off, as long as you didn't remove the armor. We would make brand new characters and use the str bug and chug greater poison potions. Eventually, we would lose enough str that when we took off our str armor, and the buffs dropped, we would have negative str. UO was coded so instead of negative str, it looped back to something ridiculous like 50k str and also gave me 50k dex. I could one-hit anything or anyone in the game and nothing could hit me. The one weakness is if I gained a single skill point, the character would fix itself and I would be a newb again. This would always happen within 5 minutes of using these characters.

You used to be able to trap monsters behind crates. This was great cause you could store and unleash a lot of monsters. Like others have said, poison elementals were great for this. They were plentiful and really nasty. In an age of 56k connections, they could wreck even the best of players if they weren't careful. I remember unleashing swarms of 15+ poison elementals in the courtyard of some roleplayer town in Yew. I'm not sure why I repeatedly terrorized that town over and over, but I was like 14.

UO had these weird blacksmith like houses with a long counter. This made it easy to keep your front door unlocked so guests could check it out, but secure everything behind the counter at the same time. We found out you could walk over these counters by making a staircase of certain items. I think it was like a stack of gold coins with a piece of cloth above it. Anyhow, we looted at least 4 full blacksmith houses before the competition started heating up and everyone found out about it. It was great because almost ALL of the houses with a counter like that left their front door open. Along those same lines, UO released a skill called stealth. It was really easy to level up, and after the server came up we got it to like 85 in a couple hours. The higher the skill, the more steps you could take while hidden. People had no idea about this skill on the first day, so we would just sit by a locked house and wait. We made a chain of us on this one guy's house and just passed chests out of the front door in a line, all while still invisible.

We figured out a way to get pretty reliable townkills. One day, they did a major overhaul of player made trapped chests and made them really powerful. They could easily 1 hit people. We used this to our advantage to trick paranoid people. When a thief snooped anyone in UO, and their skill was low, it would spam the poo poo out of them. *so and so is peeking into your belongings*. Usually guards would insta kill anyone who actually did steal anything in town. We would make a new char with low snooping skill and spam our target. Then we would open a trapped dart chest and fall over dead next to the target. The target would half the time loot us immediately, thinking we stole something of his. The only problem is since we killed ourself, we were still blue. When we saw the target go grey by looting us, we would insta-res for stat loss and shout guards to get the guy guardkilled. That caused so much unbelievable rage!

Last one I can remember is a poisoning skill exploit. There was a way to level up poison really quickly with only a few poison potions. With UOE or UOassist you could get 100+ attempts at poisoning with a single bottle, but the attempts would generate a bottle each. If you had 100 bottles of poison to practice on, you could get 10k attempts at skill-ups and you would have 10k bottles lying at your feet. This caused massive lag wherever you did this, and was a great weapon for griefing enemy guilds or roleplayers.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

That nightelf RP story makes me warm and fuzzy inside. I love when weird people take things like that way too far and make idiots out of themselves.

Another short mud thing that I wasn't directly involved in and just remembered:

It's Not Over 9000

I wound up a god on a different mud than the one mentioned before at one point. God duties involved soft creation of new content (using the online editor to add rooms and items mostly) and just generally cleaning up the non-code end of the game. One of the other gods on this mud was named Takemura (after the front mission 3 character). You know that one stereotype of the Dragonball Z fan who thinks they are an anime in real life and obsesses over power levels? That's this guy. This dude would create endless amounts of terribly overpowered pieces of gear with ANSI colorcodes interwoven between every letter in their names so your terminal would light up like the vegas strip anytime you looked at him. If he couldn't kill anything in the game in one hit he wasn't satisfied and even then he would continue to clog up item slots in the newbie zones with this crap in an attempt to become The Real Ultimate Saiyan.

So some implementor added the plevel command.

code:
> plevel
Your power level is 590.
> plevel Takemura
Takemura's power level is 40.
>
Cue roughly around a month of this guy cranking out lovely overpowered neon gear (as usual) trying to minmax this number for no goddamn reason at all, and complaining that it didn't go up even though he was hitting harder. Even more worrying, some idiot mortals had higher power levels than him! HOW CAN THIS BE?

Simple. PLevel was something like twice your HP plus a few other stats which had no relation to attack power at all. The entire thing was an elaborate troll rigged to get him to waste as much of his time as possible. The command wasn't even listed in the player command list so they wouldn't waste time trying to figure it out.

E: Regarding the UO stat underflow, any reason why you didn't just chug more greater poison potions to get a little bit lower than max strength so it wouldn't overflow you back to newbie stats? I'm sad I missed the UO bandwagon.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 28, 2012

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Sancho posted:

I have a couple UO poisoning stories.
I rolled with some guys in UO who would kill people in town all the time with Poisoning. We'd have a Grandmaster poison and coat a newbie dagger in it. Then we'd roll up to one of our marks in death robes and said dagger and just poke them with it while they were distracted by something, usually interacting with a vendor. The guards would whack us almost instantly, but when you saw ***Unlucky Bastard starts to convulse and vomit uncontrollably*** you knew they were dead as poo poo unless their cursor just happened to be over a Greater Cure pot.

Our Murderer characters would also roll up and visit the weekly pow-wow of a few RP guilds that was held well out of town. We'd show up with our names blood red and simply be all hey howya doin' and wouldn't cause any trouble at all. But, inevitably, some RP nutjob would get it in his head that we had to go and would attack us, usually shouting something like "THE LIGHT JUDGES YOU THIS DAY" or something equally retarded. A lot of times his friends would get in on the act. Problem being, we were murderers, we actually knew what we were doing in PvP, and we'd prepared for trouble, so generally speaking we just absolutely slaughtered the people who attacked us. After we did so, we would calmly strip everything off the corpses of our enemies and distribute the items to anyone who didn't join in by drawing lots.

By about the 4th week of this, people started getting the picture and mostly left us alone. There was usually some idiot who'd try his luck, though, and one week it was some very highly respected member who had apparently been gone for about 3 months. He showed up in all his finery; magic armor, magic mace, all sorts of poo poo. We show up and it takes him about 2 minutes to attack us. Everyone else gets up from their seats and watches as we disable him and tut-tut for being so reckless. Then a mage in our group says "Well, time to end this" and starts incanting "IN NOX" (a lethal poison spell).

The guy who attacked us yelled out "WHY AREN'T U HELPING!!!!!"

His guildmate simply said "u got ur boat key on u"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Coolguye posted:

I rolled with some guys in UO who would kill people in town all the time with Poisoning. We'd have a Grandmaster poison and coat a newbie dagger in it. Then we'd roll up to one of our marks in death robes and said dagger and just poke them with it while they were distracted by something, usually interacting with a vendor. The guards would whack us almost instantly, but when you saw ***Unlucky Bastard starts to convulse and vomit uncontrollably*** you knew they were dead as poo poo unless their cursor just happened to be over a Greater Cure pot.

Our Murderer characters would also roll up and visit the weekly pow-wow of a few RP guilds that was held well out of town. We'd show up with our names blood red and simply be all hey howya doin' and wouldn't cause any trouble at all. But, inevitably, some RP nutjob would get it in his head that we had to go and would attack us, usually shouting something like "THE LIGHT JUDGES YOU THIS DAY" or something equally retarded. A lot of times his friends would get in on the act. Problem being, we were murderers, we actually knew what we were doing in PvP, and we'd prepared for trouble, so generally speaking we just absolutely slaughtered the people who attacked us. After we did so, we would calmly strip everything off the corpses of our enemies and distribute the items to anyone who didn't join in by drawing lots.

By about the 4th week of this, people started getting the picture and mostly left us alone. There was usually some idiot who'd try his luck, though, and one week it was some very highly respected member who had apparently been gone for about 3 months. He showed up in all his finery; magic armor, magic mace, all sorts of poo poo. We show up and it takes him about 2 minutes to attack us. Everyone else gets up from their seats and watches as we disable him and tut-tut for being so reckless. Then a mage in our group says "Well, time to end this" and starts incanting "IN NOX" (a lethal poison spell).

The guy who attacked us yelled out "WHY AREN'T U HELPING!!!!!"

His guildmate simply said "u got ur boat key on u"

My God, that... that's beautiful. You made his friends help you grief him.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
It's too bad there will never be another game like UO with the way newer MMOs are going the carebear route.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

mcvey posted:

It's too bad there will never be another game like UO with the way newer MMOs are going the carebear route.

Well, there's EVE. I've never tried it and the base game honestly looks dull as hell but from what I've read the devs give zero shits about griefing.

Illithid
Aug 23, 2007
Back in vanilla WoW me and a couple of friends used to climb wierd cliffs in remote areas, and on the hills northeast of Stratholme we found wierd holes in the ground.
They were shaped like inverted pyramids, grouped four together so that a little cross was formed between them. They weren't that big, but very deep, basically killing you if you fell into them.
One of us was a warlock, so we started summoning random people from Orgrimmar onto that little piece of walkable ground beteen the holes. They would accept the summon (for some reason, i think we might have promised them something) and arrived on a tiny tiny strip, and not knowing there were holes all around they would walk into these holes and die, far far away from any graveyard and forcing them to spiritress.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

mcvey posted:

Sometimes people don't even have to flip out for it to be an awesome story. I remember one time, me and a few of my murderer crew got the drop on a guy and looted his body, and among other things, we found a teleportation rune that said "home".

Now, we knew better than to get too excited about this right off. A lot of people would bind runes to very dangerous or just plain out of the way areas and label them "home" to annoy their attackers. So instead of teleporting in to some dude's house, you'd be sandwiched between a handful of pissed off dragons.

So after we found this rune, we called in a mage friend of ours and generally prepared to get our boy back if something went wrong. The scout invokes the rune, and in this case we actually do pop in into some private home's living room.

The scout tells us it's clear, and we all portal in. Just as we're getting our bearings, the dude we just killed walks in from a back room and sits on a chair in the living room.

He emotes a wave at us and we all say sup back. At that point we start stealing everything that's not furniture. His food, his potions, his spare gear, anything we can sell and carry. The entire time, this guy just sits there and watches us plunder his house, never saying a word.

So after we've left him nothing but furniture and floorboards in his home, we go "Well, cya" and make to let ourselves out. The dude just waves again and says "bye" as we walked away with most of his worldly possessions.

We always figured that he'd just thrown his most important poo poo out of the window or something before we showed up, but we still probably made off with a good month to two months worth of work, and the dude was just absolutely chill about it. Still one of the most surreal times I've ever played in a game even though there was no rage at all.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

mcvey posted:

No it's not, because as hilarious as these stories are, nobody has fun playing an MMO where the game punishes you for playing (EQ, UO)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

robodex posted:

No it's not, because as hilarious as these stories are, nobody has fun playing an MMO where the game punishes you for playing (EQ, UO)

Well, the harder-core simulation aspects of things just don't fit well with the MMO paradigm at all. MMOs are supposed to revolve around constantly becoming a bigger badass, whereas these more simulation-focused games like old UO, pre-CU SWG, or more recently Darkfall are all about getting things done. The concepts of high level epic tier shinies don't matter because all it does is paint a target on your back. As murderers in UO we would always prioritize the people with plate armor not because they were bigger threats, but because we knew their poo poo would sell for more than our entire killing kit. If you want a simulation style game then you can't have that crap be a big focus. It's straight up incompatible with your stereotypical MMO.

To put it another way, you can't have +5 boners of awesomeness that are clearly better than +3 boners of awesomeness. Every item needs to have a specific use and a specific place in the toolkit of a specific kind of player. No game to date has ever gotten that. If it had, you'd see PvE being governed by specific weapon or armor loadouts to defeat dungeon gimmicks instead of simply getting the next boner of awesomeness, and you wouldn't see PvP complaints about 'twinked' characters with boners of awesomeness they shouldn't reasonably have. Those twinks would just get dogpiled by pissed off normal guys who would tear him apart like wild dogs and steal all of his boners.

I don't think that your standard MMO crowd would like this sort of game but it'd be a completely separate experience so they don't need to.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Coolguye posted:

Sometimes people don't even have to flip out for it to be an awesome story. I remember one time, me and a few of my murderer crew got the drop on a guy and looted his body, and among other things, we found a teleportation rune that said "home".

Now, we knew better than to get too excited about this right off. A lot of people would bind runes to very dangerous or just plain out of the way areas and label them "home" to annoy their attackers. So instead of teleporting in to some dude's house, you'd be sandwiched between a handful of pissed off dragons.

So after we found this rune, we called in a mage friend of ours and generally prepared to get our boy back if something went wrong. The scout invokes the rune, and in this case we actually do pop in into some private home's living room.

The scout tells us it's clear, and we all portal in. Just as we're getting our bearings, the dude we just killed walks in from a back room and sits on a chair in the living room.

He emotes a wave at us and we all say sup back. At that point we start stealing everything that's not furniture. His food, his potions, his spare gear, anything we can sell and carry. The entire time, this guy just sits there and watches us plunder his house, never saying a word.

So after we've left him nothing but furniture and floorboards in his home, we go "Well, cya" and make to let ourselves out. The dude just waves again and says "bye" as we walked away with most of his worldly possessions.

We always figured that he'd just thrown his most important poo poo out of the window or something before we showed up, but we still probably made off with a good month to two months worth of work, and the dude was just absolutely chill about it. Still one of the most surreal times I've ever played in a game even though there was no rage at all.

Are you sure it was actually his home? maybe he was griefing someone else?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Category Fun! posted:

Are you sure it was actually his home? maybe he was griefing someone else?

We have no way of knowing it was actually his place, but I think that's unlikely. If he wanted to grief someone and had a rune into their house he could've just stolen everything himself and dumped it somewhere. Would've been the same effect (he could've just claimed he was murdered), but he wouldn't have gotten whacked in the process.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Coolguye posted:

Well, the harder-core simulation aspects of things just don't fit well with the MMO paradigm at all. MMOs are supposed to revolve around constantly becoming a bigger badass, whereas these more simulation-focused games like old UO, pre-CU SWG, or more recently Darkfall are all about getting things done. The concepts of high level epic tier shinies don't matter because all it does is paint a target on your back. As murderers in UO we would always prioritize the people with plate armor not because they were bigger threats, but because we knew their poo poo would sell for more than our entire killing kit. If you want a simulation style game then you can't have that crap be a big focus. It's straight up incompatible with your stereotypical MMO.

To put it another way, you can't have +5 boners of awesomeness that are clearly better than +3 boners of awesomeness. Every item needs to have a specific use and a specific place in the toolkit of a specific kind of player. No game to date has ever gotten that. If it had, you'd see PvE being governed by specific weapon or armor loadouts to defeat dungeon gimmicks instead of simply getting the next boner of awesomeness, and you wouldn't see PvP complaints about 'twinked' characters with boners of awesomeness they shouldn't reasonably have. Those twinks would just get dogpiled by pissed off normal guys who would tear him apart like wild dogs and steal all of his boners.

I don't think that your standard MMO crowd would like this sort of game but it'd be a completely separate experience so they don't need to.

That sounds a lot like EVE, tbh.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Cbouncerrun posted:

He IS on a console. And I don't see how being on a PC would be easier anyway, the knife doesn't need to be aimed.
Being on a PC would be harder because their FOV would be higher (in a game that wasn't CoD, anyway) and they'd be checking 3-6-9's a lot more often because mouse movement actually lets someone do that.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 28, 2012

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Sancho posted:

In early UO, greater poison potions could cause perma stat loss. There was also a bug where you could use crappy leather +str items with a +str spell and make the minor str boost from the spell stick after the spell wore off, as long as you didn't remove the armor. We would make brand new characters and use the str bug and chug greater poison potions. Eventually, we would lose enough str that when we took off our str armor, and the buffs dropped, we would have negative str. UO was coded so instead of negative str, it looped back to something ridiculous like 50k str and also gave me 50k dex. I could one-hit anything or anyone in the game and nothing could hit me. The one weakness is if I gained a single skill point, the character would fix itself and I would be a newb again. This would always happen within 5 minutes of using these characters.

I don't remember there existing ANY items at all that raised your strength, pre-renaissance. I remember armor that took more hits, and offered better protection, but never raising strength. Could you refresh my memory?

On a side note if you had 50k strength and worried about it reverting back you should have used Explosion. I'm pretty sure the damage of that spell is STR based versus Armor. You prolly would have one-shotted them!

Sancho posted:

Along those same lines, UO released a skill called stealth. It was really easy to level up, and after the server came up we got it to like 85 in a couple hours. The higher the skill, the more steps you could take while hidden. People had no idea about this skill on the first day, so we would just sit by a locked house and wait. We made a chain of us on this one guy's house and just passed chests out of the front door in a line, all while still invisible.

People had houses on server birth day with loads of treasure inside but had no idea how Stealth worked? Wasn't the most basic wooden house like 32k back then? Or was it cheaper? I've never played on a server birth, I just find this one hard to believe.

Otherwise, great stories!

A couple UO stories of my own:

Go to Destard Desert (I think it's Destard). Tame a bunch of sand scorpions. Go to Britain when it's really late and people are spamming items they have for sale, go ahead and sic your scorpions on them. It's minor poison, but constantly being attacked and with no-one around to call guards because they are all macroing makes for a nice, passive-aggressive grief. You WILL get kill just for the attack, but the scorpions keep on attacking.

Alternatively, want thousands of bandages, regs, fishes, iron ore, whatever? Make a new character, 50 fencing, 50 tactics and full strength. Go find someone camping out in an empty building in Brittain, macroing their skill gains, and simply attack their health bar, but since they are off screen you wont get guard whacked.

While still "attacking" walk back to the victim and start wailing on them. Loot their bandages and cloth or whatever they were training at the time.

Another one of my favorites is:

-Dress up as a town cryer, change your text to white.
-"push" the town cryer out of the way but so you are standing on top of the cryer
-Wait until the idle animation of the cryer happens, he will pop over your character and it will stay that way.
-Say "Hear Ye! Hear Ye! I have very important news! Just say 'news' to hear more!"

Victim(s)"News"

Town Cryer: "I have no news at this time"
"Hear Ye! Hear Ye! I have very important news! Just say 'news' to hear more!"
"News"
"I have no news at this time"
"News"
"News"

You wouldn't believe how many people it still fools, and irritates them.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

MageMage posted:

People had houses on server birth day with loads of treasure inside but had no idea how Stealth worked? Wasn't the most basic wooden house like 32k back then? Or was it cheaper? I've never played on a server birth, I just find this one hard to believe.

I'm pretty sure they meant "when the server came back up from receiving the patch that implemented Stealth," not "when the server came online for the first time ever."

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Shumagorath posted:

Being on a PC would be harder because their FOV would be higher (in a game that wasn't CoD, anyway) and they'd be checking 3-6-9's a lot more often because mouse movement actually lets someone do that.

Is there a way to hook a mouse up to an x-box? Are there any 3rd party controllers like that? I'd pay good money to play a game where everyone else was stuck with controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is there a way to hook a mouse up to an x-box? Are there any 3rd party controllers like that?

For the 360, Microsoft has pretty strict rules about controllers and user input in games. I don't know about mice specifically, but based on their ban on keyboard input (except for typing), I doubt they'd allow it. And even if it's theoretically possible to hack up a mouse and 360 controller somehow, you'd run the risk of getting banned from Live.

• Locked thread