Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That reminds me that Renard is just right there as Annie's suffering some kind of etheric surgery or whatever the hell's going on. I wonder what's going through his head considering he can see to that other plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Renard along with Robot and Shadow was put into sleep or suspension or something by Zimmy before she started doing her thing.

Besides, I'm not sure that what Zimmy does is so much on the Etheric Plane as Zimmy's hosed Up Existence of Semi-Reality Dreaming.

Gable Oak
Apr 19, 2005
Internet Shepherdess
Gary’s Answer
Oooh I am feeling like Dad has continued his work on the cure! No Zimmy, don't stop him! He's probably ever-so-close to unbinding her from the fire.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

YF-23 posted:

It needn't be maliciousness, he could be doing this out of benevolence. Hell for all we know he may may even have Annie's consent to do this.

:geno: "Consent is not necessary before saving someone's life. Consent is implied by the very act."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So basically those sharp, pointy bone thingies are suppressing and restraining Annie's fire heritage so that she can live a "normal" life, the downside being that it's apparently snuffing Annie's life/soul out.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

Gable Oak posted:

Oooh I am feeling like Dad has continued his work on the cure! No Zimmy, don't stop him! He's probably ever-so-close to unbinding her from the fire.

No doubt, destroying the fire elemental spirit in the process. So, moral crossroads. Is it alright to snuff the generations-old fire spirit bloodline, and destroy this being that is all that remains of Surma and all of her ancestors, in order to save Annie's life? Anthony certainly thinks so, and I suspect several of the Court adults do as well. But I don't think Annie (or Zimmy for tha matter) would be ok with that, so for now let's let her work.

Teen pregnancy drama storyline alternative: The green dude got Annie pregnant in the forest, and Anthony is performing a long-distance etheric abortion through a satellite.

AfroSpatula
Jan 1, 2007

Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
It's an avatar you see.
Donlan's face is giving me Yaranaika vibes in panel 2 there.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Boogaleeboo posted:

Also 'trope' is a terrible word, and should never be used by decent people.

Just because TV Tropes is dumb about it doesn't mean no one else should use it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Heliotrope posted:

No don't you see, we have a mock thread. Man the crusades against anything even slightly related!

Gable Oak
Apr 19, 2005
Internet Shepherdess
Gary’s Answer

Wili posted:

...destroying the fire elemental spirit in the process...

Naw, I think he's just going to send it up to live in the stars. This is the dawning of the Age of Antimony.

Donald's complicity and Reynardine just chillin at the foot of the bed are making me think this is for the best. Of course, Coyote's binding might have some unexpected effects tying her inner spirit to her corporeal form because he likes her just fine as-is.

Please, Tea-san, live forever so we will always have your stories.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Heliotrope posted:

The way TV Tropes uses the word "Trope" isn't quite how the word actually works in the English language as a heads up. The tropes themselves are the names they use at TV Tropes, rather than what they describe. "That thing where they're sick reflecting their psychological issues" isn't a trope. If you gave a non-literal naming scheme for that narrative element you would have a trope.

Metaphors, allegory, and irony are all examples of tropes.

Part of the issue is that this base confusion has resulted in a lot of people using the word completely wrong when they're just referring to literary/narrative devices, stock characters, and in the more classical sense, cliché (which isn't inherently a bad thing in its classical definition~)

Which is why people complain about the word being used incorrectly.

e: More relevant to the thread though: I am guessing Tony is trying to do something good but is loving poo poo up and doesn't know it.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 28, 2012

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If Zimmy is about to mess Anthony's project up, I wonder if it would cause him to come out of hiding (presumably in a real bad mood).

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
So anyone have any word on how that MCM thing went for Tom? I'm kinda curious if what stuff he was able to move, and what stuff he still might have around. :)

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Dear Tom:

I have an idea for you to make a bunch of money. First, set a goal for how much money you want and ask people to donate toward that goal. Then, when the goal is reached, post one comic a day for one week. Just one week.

I'm saying I'd donate all I could for just one week of daily updates please. You get a ton of money, we get more Gunerkrigg.

VVVV quiet you, I've got an addiction okay

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 29, 2012

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
We get two weeks of daily updates every time a summer break comes along, in the form of City Face. Not to say I wouldn't donate, but still.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Dear Tom:

Please come sell things at Otakon.

Love,

Totoro

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Fangz posted:

My (Anthony-hating) speculation: Anthony is trying to tear out the soul of Annie to put into whatever horrifying Surma-simulacrum he has constructed. In the flashback, he wasn't interested in Antimony's welfare at all, rather he wanted to preserve the vessel of her mother's reincarnation.
So does this make the shadow-people the Angels and the court folks SEELE?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Huntersoninski posted:

Dear Tom:

I have an idea for you to make a bunch of money. First, set a goal for how much money you want and ask people to donate toward that goal. Then, when the goal is reached, post one comic a day for one week. Just one week.

I'm saying I'd donate all I could for just one week of daily updates please. You get a ton of money, we get more Gunerkrigg.

Since the updates are already made and posted from an existing buffer that would seem like a dickish move that would alienate readers imo.

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
At this point I've stopped even speculating on what's going on; I'm pretty sure I have no bloody clue and all hunches are likely off base, so my plan's just to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Off-topic, but as someone whose handle is partially Totoro-inspired, love the name/avatar combo here. There a full-size version of it anywhere?

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

YF-23 posted:

Since the updates are already made and posted from an existing buffer that would seem like a dickish move that would alienate readers imo.
I don't agree. If Tom posted extra pages out of his buffer, that means that his buffer is reduced and he has to work extra to restore it. Any extra pages posted are essentially a "buffer debt" that has to be repaid.

And honestly, if any readers were inclined to feel alienated by a fundraiser like that (one which isn't forcing them to donate, mind, yet will still give them the benefit of the donations of others!), then I'd say the dick's not Tom in this scenario.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't know, I think there's a certain risk here that if you force, or at least encourage an artist to work faster than he's comfortable with, quality will decline. I'd rather Tom work at the pace he's happy with, than potentially burn out at a later point.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Or people can just donate to Tom because this is a great comic? I think the pace that the comic's going at is fine. Don't want him to burn out, after all.

On another note, I hope he has leftover things from that convention thing he went to. That one canvas with a redone version of Coyote with the sun or something was great.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I get the feeling none of this will be clarified this chapter.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This page is loving gorgeous Tea-San.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What? I... and.. is... what?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
That eye with fire coming out of it looks pretty mad

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING
Beautiful page.
Think it left me even more confused.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh wow. :3:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
All these woods are yours, except Gillitie. Attempt no logging there.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

That is an amazing page, but I can't help but hope that this will all be resolved by friday.

This chapter just keeps making the weekend wait for a new page harder and harder.

e: Also, here is tony.

I really like how that last one turned out in avatar form.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 30, 2012

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach

Pointsman posted:

Beautiful page.
Think it left me even more confused.

no comment by tom at the bottom makes me double extra confused...

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
He tends to not comment when the story gets serious. Just steps back and lets it speak for itself.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
If there were to be an incentivised donation thing, it would be best to do it for a side story. For instance, maybe do illustrated or comic versions of some of the Coyote and Reynardine myths from Native american and European folklores, or whatever. Something off continuity but still of interest to fans. Have a "pay what you want" model for getting access to a digital copy or a donations threshold after which it will be made available, and sell it as a small printed book at conventions and online.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Torokasi posted:

Off-topic, but as someone whose handle is partially Totoro-inspired, love the name/avatar combo here. There a full-size version of it anywhere?

Sorry, it was a one-off someone did for me as my avatar for posting in TFR.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Don't make Zimmy mad, I guess.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A soft, pliable bonespire.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
So how was MCM?

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

minimalist posted:

So how was MCM?

It went really well! It was a crazy couple of days and I met a lot of great people. That`s always the best part. It's nice to leave my room and actually talk to people who have read my comic.

As for sales, I sold all the canvases except the square one with Annie. I'm working on making stuff like that available online.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Tea-san posted:

It went really well! It was a crazy couple of days and I met a lot of great people. That`s always the best part. It's nice to leave my room and actually talk to people who have read my comic.

As for sales, I sold all the canvases except the square one with Annie. I'm working on making stuff like that available online.

That's great to hear. :) And making canvases (or just prints in general) available online would be a good idea, since there seems to be a lotta people willing to buy those.

The new page is just great, by the way. Seeing Zimmy in ether form is just so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Tea-san posted:

What kind of monster could break those two up?