Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Well they glossed over that part in the Piper documentary I saw on Netflix today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The nWo weren't billed as being members of WCW either though!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ultimateforce posted:

I completely forgot Roddy Piper was in WCW but apparently he went over Hogan with a sleeper? Can someone shed some light on this for me?

He also had a boxing match with Buff Bagwell and it involved Miles Lane and Judge Judy Bagwell wearing an airbrushed shirt with her and her son.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
It doesn't matter that Piper's first match wasn't for the title. He was just there to beat up Hogan and prove he was the bigger star. He didn't care about WCW, so what would the title matter to him? Then he beats Hogan clean when Hogan was the super heel destroying the company. How many people beat Hogan clean during the height of the NWO?

Then all the stupid crap after it happened. :negative:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bocc Kob posted:

It doesn't matter that Piper's first match wasn't for the title. He was just there to beat up Hogan and prove he was the bigger star. He didn't care about WCW, so what would the title matter to him? Then he beats Hogan clean when Hogan was the super heel destroying the company. How many people beat Hogan clean during the height of the NWO?

Then all the stupid crap after it happened. :negative:

I can't imagine why he would care about the title.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Astro7x posted:

The thing about it being a Non Title match was when Piper was brought into WCW he was billed as not being a member of WCW, he was a free agent essentially. Except that he stuck around until 2000....

Well if you're getting paid truck loads of money to come in and hobble around with your bad hips, would you turn it down?

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Oatgan posted:

The nWo weren't billed as being members of WCW either though!

Sure, but at some point they got Eric Bischoff on their side, and he had the power to get them under contract. For continuity's sake, I'd say probably around the time Hogan was revealed, but that's conjecture.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thatguyclint posted:

Sure, but at some point they got Eric Bischoff on their side, and he had the power to get them under contract. For continuity's sake, I'd say probably around the time Hogan was revealed, but that's conjecture.

No it was a couple of months after Bash at the Beach.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bischoff revealed himself later but they said he was in it pretty much since right after Nash powerbombed him. That was their end around for all the plot holes, that Bischoff was pulling the strings in the back and helping it happen.

The nWo contract stuff really made sense, or at least felt like it did. For those first few months they were always coming through the crowd and getting run off like the infamous "lawn dart" incident. Or they'd show up at the end of the show and spend 5 or 10 minutes taking advantage of chaos to end the show. Then once they started winning titles and getting on shows people actually asked how this worked but they pushed it as Hogan being able to do it by being champ. Then eventually Bischoff is revealed and says he was making it happen. It might have some plot holes if you looked closely enough, but it was working so well that you didn't want to nitpick the logic of it.

Same with the "why didn't WCW gang up?" In the early stages WCW did, but the Outsiders were always one step ahead. If I'm remembering correctly the lawn dart thing happened on a Nitro where a bunch of wrestlers were ringside acting as security, which is why the Outsiders were able to sneak backstage and do such damage without the entire locker room coming down on them. Then once Hogan jumps, Giant jumps, and Sting appears to jump the locker room stops trusting each other. The nWo were always playing the locker room against each other so they'd stay splintered. Again, there were probably holes if you looked for them but it was fun enough not to.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well Bishoff got suspended, and that put a "Freeze" on any more signing of nWo contract. And Big Bubba and Wallstreet had to leave the nWo because of that. It wasn't until July that Konnan then joined the nWo somehow, and then people started joining again.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

STAC Goat posted:

Same with the "why didn't WCW gang up?" In the early stages WCW did, but the Outsiders were always one step ahead. If I'm remembering correctly the lawn dart thing happened on a Nitro where a bunch of wrestlers were ringside acting as security, which is why the Outsiders were able to sneak backstage and do such damage without the entire locker room coming down on them. Then once Hogan jumps, Giant jumps, and Sting appears to jump the locker room stops trusting each other. The nWo were always playing the locker room against each other so they'd stay splintered. Again, there were probably holes if you looked for them but it was fun enough not to.

It was pretty great how there would be this sense of where the boys were going to rally around a guy and then everything fell apart. You also had that one moment they seemed to all trust Piper and Flair and then Piper and Flair couldn't let personal issues go and suddenly those two were fighting each other instead of the nWo. There needed to be someone who could unite everyone together and that ended up being Sting.

The Sting storyline was originally so good because he was the only guy who could say he wasn't WCW or nWo but he hated the nWo. He just didn't make it totally obvious. Wearing black and white helped a lot too. The way he would harass a WCW guy with a ball bat and then turn his back and give them a chance to hit him was fantastic. It got even more amazing when Savage ended up becoming Sting's ally. I thought the idea was to get together the true WCW guys to all form under Sting and be a faction set out to stop the nWo but instead Savage did this ridiculous heel turn that made absolutely no sense. It *could* have made sense if Savage revealed in the end he joined the nWo in order to destroy it from within but that was never done. By that point the angle was so hot they could do anything to make it successful. The worst point for me (even worse than fake Hogan head) was JJ Dillon coming out and agreeing to give Sting a match against not Hogan. That was so bloody retarded and you could tell they were just killing time.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
The fake Hogan head is one of my favorite wrestling moments ever.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Karmine posted:

The fake Hogan head is one of my favorite wrestling moments ever.

I like to imagine Bret was thinking "I left WWF...for this.

Someone suggest this to Josh and Road Dogg for "Are You Serious?" (if it hasn't already been on the show).

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 30, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Perigryn posted:

Someone suggest this to Josh and Road Dogg for "Are You Serious?" (if it hasn't already been on the show).

That whole episode should be on in. That was the same episode that they spent a good hour taking down and putting up a new set. Then to make it better it was the go home show for Starrcade 97. I just tweeted it.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 30, 2012

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Perigryn posted:

Is it just me or does it look like Bischoff is giggling his rear end off behind Hogan?

I haven't seen that clip in years, it's one of those "drat, it couldn't have been THAT bad, right?" memories.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I don't see what's so silly about sending your hated foe a likeness of his own severed head as a birthday present. :colbert:

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Bocc Kob posted:

I don't see what's so silly about sending your hated foe a likeness of his own severed head as a birthday present. :colbert:

The best part is hogan selling for the severed head... hahahahhaha

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
woops

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

bobkatt013 posted:

That whole episode should be on in. That was the same episode that they spent a good hour taking down and putting up a new set.
Please tell me there's a clip of this somewhere.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jack Krauser posted:

Please tell me there's a clip of this somewhere.

It might not of been an hour but it felt like it.

Here is the nitro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvVIEmNSZWk

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 30, 2012

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ColeM posted:

Is it just me or was there zero reaction from the crowd when he pulls out the head?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is it just me or was there zero reaction from the crowd when he pulls out the head?

Not just you and I gather thats because the crowd new the angle was ridiculous... hahahahah hogan's expression is so priceless. hahhahaahaha! When you look at it, hogan at least sold something because he sure as hell wasn't gonna sell for Sting.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ColeM posted:

Not just you and I gather thats because the crowd new the angle was ridiculous... hahahahah hogan's expression is so priceless. hahhahaahaha! When you look at it, hogan at least sold something because he sure as hell wasn't gonna sell for Sting.

I thought the same thing. Hogan sold better for a fake severed head than the vast majority of those he's faced throughout his career.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
No one should be surprised, Hogan will only put over himself and that's all he was doing in that segment.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

bobkatt013 posted:

It might not of been an hour but it felt like it.

Here is the nitro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvVIEmNSZWk
There's no set dismantling in this video. Does everyone remember this wrong or something?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Jack Krauser posted:

No one should be surprised, Hogan will only put over himself and that's all he was doing in that segment.

Wasn't the NWO nitro(this show we're talking about)basically a glorified "look at Hogan and how awesome he is!" show? Pretty much seemed like it as eric was giving him gifts all night

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Jack Krauser posted:

There's no set dismantling in this video. Does everyone remember this wrong or something?

The user who uploaded the video got rid of that portion of the show. Believe me its terrible and boring. So i understand why.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just checked my copy and yeah it doesn't take anywhere near an hour. It takes about 15-18 minutes of actual TV time not including the commercial break.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

ColeM posted:

The user who uploaded the video got rid of that portion of the show. Believe me its terrible and boring. So i understand why.
Found it anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bVKtq3ulaI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The Part 2 video features the motorcycle segment, where some idiot drags out Bitchoff's motorcycle again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFyzfSPSYtA&sns=tw

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 31, 2012

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Deadpool posted:

I just checked my copy and yeah it doesn't take anywhere near an hour. It takes about 15-18 minutes of actual TV time not including the commercial break.

It was just too much nWo interviews and very little wrestling. We had the set construction, the nWo Nitro intro, then the Hogan gift celebration where he gets his motorcycle, a second interview segment where Bischoff reveals these huge banners of Hogan's old SI cover, then the third interview segment where Hogan gets the severed head. That could have all been condensed into one segment...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Astro7x posted:

It was just too much nWo interviews and very little wrestling. We had the set construction, the nWo Nitro intro, then the Hogan gift celebration where he gets his motorcycle, a second interview segment where Bischoff reveals these huge banners of Hogan's old SI cover, then the third interview segment where Hogan gets the severed head. That could have all been condensed into one segment...

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to give the intention it wasn't terrible. That episode is absolutely horrible.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

ColeM posted:

Do you expect any less from him after "IT'S NOT HOT!"?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Perigryn posted:

Do you expect any less from him after "IT'S NOT HOT!"?

IT'S NOT HOT is still my favorite Hogan moment of all time. I don't know the context but I can't imagine one even being imagined that makes it comprehensible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

IT'S NOT HOT is still my favorite Hogan moment of all time. I don't know the context but I can't imagine one even being imagined that makes it comprehensible.

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR4XCZFMxzc

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Defiance Industries posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR4XCZFMxzc

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, that one. I don't know why he's in the cave or why he's surprised the water isn't hot or why anything else is happening. But that just makes it better.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Found this in the related links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhwHPiOKQyI&feature=fvwrel

:stare:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That can be applied to literally anything involving the Dungeon of Doom. One of the wackiest long running storylines I've ever seen.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
One of the best parts of the IT'S NOT HOT video is The Master's "THE WARRIORS ARE GATHERING ON THE FOUR CONTINENTS AND SEVEN OCEANS!" line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Master's nonsensical ramblings were amazing. If I could make that voice I'd say stuff like that too.

I loved the Dungeon of Doom when it was happening in I think the same way people love Brodus Clay now. I wasn't yet cynical enough to be unable to embrace the ridiculousness of it. It was just so fun and goofy. I used to tune in anxiously to see what new monster the Master would reveal each week.

If WWE put out a Dungeon of Doom DVD with all of those introductions and caves from the tunnel and stuff like that freaking Yeti block of ice on Nitro. I'd be the first in line and I'd watch that thing every few months when wrestling was boring me.

It was terrible, I'm not denying. But if WWE just started packaging their FCW losers as monsters and had Raven or the Warrior instruct Cody Rhodes or someone on how to destroy Randy Orton. I don't know, something. I'd watch that crap.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 1, 2012