Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Dont buy that asus tablet just yet.. They are announcing a new product already.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/28/asus-teaser-computex-next-transformer/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxlgR7j_8-g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Well The thing is I don't have 600+ dollars to spend on what is essentially a luxury item. The whole reason I wanted a TF101 (or Prime) is because of the price to performance ratio versus other tablets in my price range. I am trying to find something on my local Craigslist in the 2-300 dollar area that has a 10.1 inch screen and decent specs. So far, I haven't seen anything that comes close to the transformer series in terms of what I want versus what I am able to pay.

I am interested (out of pure curiosity) in what they are going to showcase though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I think the most truly incredible feat is that they clearly invented time travel in order to go back to 1996 and hire a freshman video production student to make their videos. Good god.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I'm a fan of the Times New Roman font, myself.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

New product? I think they're announcing a new religion. I'm totally ready to convert to ASUSism.

Man... I spent five minutes trying to think of an ASUS GPS/religion joke, and I couldn't. I just couldn't.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Sharkelberry posted:

Well The thing is I don't have 600+ dollars to spend on what is essentially a luxury item. The whole reason I wanted a TF101 (or Prime) is because of the price to performance ratio versus other tablets in my price range. I am trying to find something on my local Craigslist in the 2-300 dollar area that has a 10.1 inch screen and decent specs. So far, I haven't seen anything that comes close to the transformer series in terms of what I want versus what I am able to pay.

I am interested (out of pure curiosity) in what they are going to showcase though.

At least get a prime. Even including the hardware issues it has had tegra 3 is just way, way better than tegra 2.

Bonxai
May 2, 2011
So is Asus sweeping the Infinity/700 under the rug and replacing it with this, or is this going to be the next thing after the Infinity? I've been waiting for an Android tablet with a full HD screen but the lack of news from Asus is driving me nuts. I mean I've heard some sites say the Infinity should be out next month and I've heard some people saying it's never coming out. Makes me want to just get a TF300 and be done with it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Has there ever been a product launch schedule this hosed up in the history of mobile computing? It feels like there's no point in getting >anything< because it's going to be superseded within a few weeks. At least with HP they only released one major SKU, same with Blackberry and the playbook.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Has there ever been a product launch schedule this hosed up in the history of mobile computing? It feels like there's no point in getting >anything< because it's going to be superseded within a few weeks. At least with HP they only released one major SKU, same with Blackberry and the playbook.

Just because something is "obsolete" within a few weeks doesn't mean you have to replace it every time. This kind of attitude is really lovely to have.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Asus is actually replacing products before they even come out.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Edit: Disregard. I thought better of it.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 29, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

TildeATH posted:

New product? I think they're announcing a new religion. I'm totally ready to convert to ASUSism.

Man... I spent five minutes trying to think of an ASUS GPS/religion joke, and I couldn't. I just couldn't.

*warning, will not help you find god.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
Is there any android tablet out there which can allow me to view jpeg files from a compact flash card via a usb card reader?

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Any thoughts on the Sony S? Wife really wants it for the Playstation games you can get on it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Remo posted:

Is there any android tablet out there which can allow me to view jpeg files from a compact flash card via a usb card reader?

I was able to plug in a generic USB card reader to my original Transformer's dock, and my Transformer could read stuff off of the CompactFlash card in it fine.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Bonxai posted:

Makes me want to just get a TF300 and be done with it.

If you're okay with the 10" form factor, I've been very happy with my TF300. There's no real reason not to get it if you want an Android 4.0 tablet and don't care about the bells and whistles of the Infinity or whatever. It's a great couch/bed internet reader, occasional light gaming, mail browser and movie watching device. Totally satisfied with it, while also knowing that if I needed to, I could grab the dock and go wherever more easily than with my laptop.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever

Install Gentoo posted:

I was able to plug in a generic USB card reader to my original Transformer's dock, and my Transformer could read stuff off of the CompactFlash card in it fine.

Is there anything special about the USB port for the transformer dock? Or will any full sized usb port work? (i.e. iconia A500)?

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

The A500 does this fine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Remo posted:

Is there anything special about the USB port for the transformer dock? Or will any full sized usb port work? (i.e. iconia A500)?

It's just a plain USB port. I mention that it's on the dock because the device doesn't have one built in, although ASUS sells a thing that goes in the charge/dock port and gives you a usb port too.

It should work fine on an A500's built in usb port.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

Kortel posted:

Any thoughts on the Sony S? Wife really wants it for the Playstation games you can get on it.

There isn't actually that many playstation games you can get (about 15, and the selection is terrible, they are very slowly adding more)

as a whole the tablet is good, although not amazing, the browser lags to much and it loses wifi signal quite often (im hoping that the ics update in a few days fixes this

i mainly got mine for the sd card and usb host capability and it is very good for both of those things, and using a ps3 controller to play ps games is really cool

edit: I also use a ps emulator on the tablet (fpse) and it works fine, you sometimes need to mess with the settings to make it run well

Skam fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 29, 2012

Bonxai
May 2, 2011

a shameful boehner posted:

If you're okay with the 10" form factor, I've been very happy with my TF300. There's no real reason not to get it if you want an Android 4.0 tablet and don't care about the bells and whistles of the Infinity or whatever. It's a great couch/bed internet reader, occasional light gaming, mail browser and movie watching device. Totally satisfied with it, while also knowing that if I needed to, I could grab the dock and go wherever more easily than with my laptop.

Mainly I was waiting for the Infinity because I want to be able to watch 1080p videos without them getting scaled down. I'm just getting impatient because I also want a tablet for instant messaging, internet browsing, and reading and I don't need a full HD screen for those. It'd be nice to be able to do those things and still watch 1080p videos in full HD, but as far as I know only the iPad can do all of the above, and I'm just an Android person.

Kortel posted:

Couldn't you just use a Playstation emulator on any tablet? I've never used one but a quick google search turned up FPse and PSX4Droid as two apparently good Playstation 1 emulators. You can also use a PS3 controller with a tablet if it has bluetooth, so it'd essentially be like playing an actual Playstation.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Skam posted:

There isn't actually that many playstation games you can get (about 15, and the selection is terrible, they are very slowly adding more)

as a whole the tablet is good, although not amazing, the browser lags to much and it loses wifi signal quite often (im hoping that the ics update in a few days fixes this

i mainly got mine for the sd card and usb host capability and it is very good for both of those things, and using a ps3 controller to play ps games is really cool

edit: I also use a ps emulator on the tablet (fpse) and it works fine, you sometimes need to mess with the settings to make it run well

Thanks for the info. Shes a huge fan of sony products. I'll see if the ICS update fixes the wifi issue. Price tag is a tad higher than i figured it would be.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Bonxai posted:

Mainly I was waiting for the Infinity because I want to be able to watch 1080p videos without them getting scaled down. I'm just getting impatient because I also want a tablet for instant messaging, internet browsing, and reading and I don't need a full HD screen for those. It'd be nice to be able to do those things and still watch 1080p videos in full HD, but as far as I know only the iPad can do all of the above, and I'm just an Android person.

Is there an example of this scaling down that happens that you can show me? Perhaps its my ignorance regarding displays here, but I thought 1200x800 was at least equivalent to 720p, and given a 10.1" form factor, would be virtually indistinguishable from 1080p at the typical viewing distance for a tablet device?

Now I'm curious, myself. For what it's worth I have a blu-ray player and feel like I can tell the difference between 720/1080 on my 42" tv, I just seriously doubt I'd be able to on a 10" tablet. Maybe I have that backwards.

Bonxai
May 2, 2011

a shameful boehner posted:

Is there an example of this scaling down that happens that you can show me? Perhaps its my ignorance regarding displays here, but I thought 1200x800 was at least equivalent to 720p, and given a 10.1" form factor, would be virtually indistinguishable from 1080p at the typical viewing distance for a tablet device?

Now I'm curious, myself. For what it's worth I have a blu-ray player and feel like I can tell the difference between 720/1080 on my 42" tv, I just seriously doubt I'd be able to on a 10" tablet. Maybe I have that backwards.

No you're right, it can do 720p just fine, I'm just being a graphics whore and wanting 1080p... Ever since I upgraded my PC to run games at full settings I've been noticing the differences in video quality better than I used to, and it's a blessing and a curse at once. It probably is harder to notice on a tablet, and graphics are less important to me for movies than for serious gaming simply because movies are a lot shorter, so unless Asus or someone else releases a full HD tablet any time soon, I probably will just get the 300. The 300 could play 1080p videos if connected to a 1080p HDTV though, right?

Bonxai fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 30, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
"ASUS Nexus 7" running 4.1/Jelly Bean has shown up in benchmarks, so you might want to wait for Google I/O next month if you're looking for a device in the 7" form factor.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008
I've been considering getting a Transformer (of some kind) for a while, but I just can't find a way to edit LaTeX files on it gracefully- which is a make or break thing. So, is there a good text editor (preferably with latex support of some kind) or a way to switch into Linux? (without ugly VNC hacks)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bonxai posted:

No you're right, it can do 720p just fine, I'm just being a graphics whore and wanting 1080p... Ever since I upgraded my PC to run games at full settings I've been noticing the differences in video quality better than I used to, and it's a blessing and a curse at once. It probably is harder to notice on a tablet, and graphics are less important to me for movies than for serious gaming simply because movies are a lot shorter, so unless Asus or someone else releases a full HD tablet any time soon, I probably will just get the 300. The 300 could play 1080p videos if connected to a 1080p HDTV though, right?

720p vs 1080p on a monitor for games is completely different animal than video playback. The difference between 720p and 1080p on a lot of TVs is indistinguishable depending on size/distance from screen. On a 10" tablet it will not be noticeable at all. For video playback, mind you - things like web browsing will obviously be different.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

404notfound posted:

Well, this is kind of a disappointing revelation regarding my new Galaxy Tab 2.

I tried to play a quick round of Draw Something to try out the touchscreen, and my lines were way off and all wobbly. So I fired up Touch Test to see what was going on.

Vertical and horizontal lines go well enough...

But when I try to draw a diagonal line, this happens:

If I press harder and get a wider area of contact with the screen, or if I just swipe really fast, it tends to straighten out a bit:

My HTC Thunderbolt doesn't do this at all, no matter how light a touch I use. I don't really know how capacitive touchscreen tech works, but what it feels like is the underlying matrix of contact points isn't fine enough, so it keeps getting pulled to the nearest one, except when I increase the surface area of my finger and it gets a better interpolation of my actual point of contact.

Is this perhaps Samsung just cheaping out on the touchscreen, or is this a real problem? Should I look into getting a replacement?

This is exactly why I want to see tests like this before I buy any touch device. I really couldn't tolerate that at all.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I guess all touch screens are susceptible to those curvy lines if you use a light/small touch.

I made this with my pinky on my TF201. I followed the edge of a ruler I taped down. You can barely see it, but the curve is there.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

SlayVus posted:

I guess all touch screens are susceptible to those curvy lines if you use a light/small touch.

No, it's just vendors using poo poo screens. There's at least one phone/tablet that doesn't do that.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/09/moto-gives-straight-advice-on-smartphone-touchscreen-quality/

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

Kortel posted:

Thanks for the info. Shes a huge fan of sony products. I'll see if the ICS update fixes the wifi issue. Price tag is a tad higher than i figured it would be.

I actually love mine for gaming (and the usb host let me use a cheaper wired ps3 controller rather then a £45 son one)

But the list of PS1 games is really quite poor, these are all that is available for £3.99 through the ps store on the tablet:

International track & field
Tekken (1)
Ridge racer type 4 (This actually still owns)
Grandia
Disneys toy story racer
disneys toy story 2
mickeys wild adventure
disneys Atlantis
A bugs life
rascal racers
abes oddysee (also good)
championship bass
the little mermaid 2
driver (not bought this yet, but i used to love the game)
rayman (1)
Jet rider 2
Kurushi Final
cool boarders (1)
Destruction Derby (1)
Everybodys golf 2
Jet rider
Kula world
Medievil
Twisted Metal

It also comes with the first crash bandicoot

That is all there is after nearly a year, granted the list was less then half that 6 months ago but there is still a lack of quality games

Its really quite disappointing considering how much the whole PS compatible thing played into there marketing

I have quite a few old ps1 games on mine (i just finished ffvii and currently playing resident evil 2) but i use an fpse for it

Skam fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 30, 2012

Bonxai
May 2, 2011
http://www.slashgear.com/lenovo-ideatab-s2109-tablet-brings-9-7-inches-of-ics-30230881/
Lenovo just announced a new tablet.

- 9.7 inch display
- Ice Cream Sandwich
- 1.27 pounds, 1/3-inch thin
- OMAP 4430 dual-core 1GHz processor
- 1GB of system memory
- costs $349, releases in June

Seems like a nice cheap tablet for people who don't need anything fancy. Personally I think for $50 extra the Transformer 300 is still a better way to go.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I know alot of people have had problems with the Asus chargers. Make sure you do not mention if you have plugged any other usb device into yours if you are trying to RMA, as they are claiming the warranty is void if anything but the tablet is used on them.

"Thank you
for your email.
I'm afraid that in this case there is no quick solution available on how to fix the charger. since the product has been used for unsupported items the warranty also has been voided and can only be repaired as out of warranty when needed."

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1480178&page=3

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
We've got more semi-awkward teaser videos about ASUS's next transformations here.

Seems to hint at a device that will run Android and Windows 8.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Smeego posted:

We've got more semi-awkward teaser videos about ASUS's next transformations here.

Seems to hint at a device that will run Android and Windows 8.

Seems to hint? Its pretty obvious its going to be a dual booting Windows/Android tablet.

Lets hope its better than the viewpad10

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Is the Vizio VTAB worth it at less than $150?

It's one of Newegg's month-end clearance deals.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

What do you think?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

DrBouvenstein posted:

Let's take a look at what it has to offer:
  • Android 2.3
  • Single-core 1GHz processor
  • 512 MB RAM
  • 1024x768
  • Poor viewing angle
  • Good chance of broken ports
Do not pay any amount of real money for that tablet.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Or any tablet that originally shipped with Android 2.x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Actually, from what I've read, it does have a Honeycomb update...I forgot to mention that in my post.

So the question is, is it better or worse than a rooted Nook Color, because at that price point that's the best competition...

Edit: Yeah, but bad viewing angles...and chance of being busted are pretty solid strikes...

Alright, Google, get off your rear end with that Nexus Tablet! I like the smaller form factor, but even the Galaxy Tab 7 is too pricey for me.

Edit: Eh, who am I kidding, the Nexus Tablet will still be too expensive for me...