Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Dio's previous owner was a pompous Philoshopy major, and named her after Diogenes, a Greek philosopher. I find it pretty funny that Diogenes begged on the streets, and that's ALL THAT DIO DOES GODDAMNIT CAT GO AWAY.

My childhood dog was named after Gyp, a dog from a James Herriot story we'd read a lot around the time we got her. We figured Gypsy was a better female name :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

Alrighty then.

Here is gratuitous battle footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdDkTSQVwzw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHgh6-KAWGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohQYDCHPtOo

He is such a bastard :3:

Anyone able to venture a guess on adult size yet? He's almost 9 weeks old.

Bigger than the house, smaller than a hotel. Rename dog Clifford.

Balen's only Hercules because I had no say in the matter, but uh, I really couldn't help but name Amy a matching name because.. well. Yeah. They're like salt and pepper shakers. :3: They just match up right.

:3: People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them Kaydee's full name. Ires's now too.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Someone shared this dog on Facebook... look at it. :stare:

She just got adopted. :3:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Skizzles posted:

Because when I look for a new dog, I look for one with a perpetual 'stung by nest of wasps' face :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Skizzles posted:

Her name is Borf and I won't hear anything else.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Skizzles posted:

Jesus I didn't realize an animal could have a face like a nut sack.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Robo Kitty posted:

Wait, Husker's named after Adama? :aaa:

He has a custom hexagonal dog tag with his name and our contact info on it, too, and it has the Galactica logo :)

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

He has a custom hexagonal dog tag with his name and our contact info on it, too, and it has the Galactica logo :)

WELL where do I get one and how much are they? My next dog will be named Frak.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I named our oldest cat when I was 6. Her name is Nora because she reminded me of a pre-school friend of mine named Nora. Person Nora was always very well dressed and a proper little lady, which is what Nora the Cat reminded me of.

The other ones...well Bonus we didn't name. The shelter named him Bonus because when they found him, he was a baby and they put him with a surrogate mother, hence a "Bonus" to the litter. We named the little one Mia because my mom didn't get to name me that.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Jack = Blackjack, but we just call him Jack. His christian name is Bumbo, though. After the rubber baby seat. It just seemed appropriate, because he's made of rubber and is a baby.

Bella is Bella because my cousin couldn't think outside the box, and just picked the most popular girldog name of the moment. Luckily it has nothing to do with Twilight.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Bailey is dreaming on the couch making tiny muffled "whuff" noises. Its the cutest. Playing with a dog for like 15 minutes just wears him out.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I have only gotten to name one of my animals and that was a cat called Bagheera. All my other ones came with names. :(

I think George and I are going to get involved with the local canine search and rescue team. I was talking to the new member coordinator today and she thought George sounds great for it. I have SAR experience (mounted and on foot) but never done anything like this with a dog. There's a ton of training involved but I think he'll love it. I'm having so much fun with this dog it is unbelievable.

I also got some pictures of him today on our hike that I will finally post on this thread tomorrow. I'm just on my kindle right now so can't do it at the moment.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
I named my first animal at 5. His name was Colorpaws and he was a barncat. In my defense his paws were grey and white. My dad named the cat that came with our property- Mousebreath.
After I bought Apple I had no idea what to name him. I liked Buddy or Charlie but they didn't fit. On the road home there was a sign for an apple maggot quarantine. Apple fit because he was from the country...and it fit him perfectly. Riley came with her name and it fit her as well

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Embarrassing moment of the day. Our tiny town had a memorial day parade, I brought Ned my little terrier mix because he LOVES PEOPLE and I figured he'd love being around everyone and the kids etc. Which he did.

However, I did not know at the end where they did their little speech stuff in the center of town they were going to shoot off blanks.

Everything was silent, except Ned, who furiously started to growl/bark/yap/freak out about the sound of the blanks and he just wanted to run and GET THEM, or so it seemed. It took a minute to quiet him down, and as they were playing taps, he managed to let out a few lingering yaps just to make sure I was completely ashamed.

But deep down I loved the fact he didn't try to run or cower at the sound of the blanks, instead he went into "OMG GET IT" mode. Terriers :swoon:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

WELL where do I get one and how much are they? My next dog will be named Frak.

Unfortunately the guy who was doing double-sided ones doesn't appear to be making them anymore, and the officially licensed ones don't have enough room for a ten-digit phone number :( If you just wanted one for fun and supplemented it with a regular tag with contact info, QMx (Quantum Mechanix) sells them for $60 a pair.

Husker's were close to $80 if I recall correctly. He's been wearing the first one since we got him, and it's fairly scarred up from hitting his rabies tag, but still readable. And we have the second one in the set put aside if we ever need to replace the one he's wearing. Kinda ridiculously expensive, but, well, we're geeks.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Skizzles posted:

My first thought was that it looks like the black version of

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

Marvin is named after Marvin the Paranoid Android from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
My future cat/animals will probably all be sci-fi themed too; the idea of naming a cat Gaius Baltar is too hilarious to not do :buddy:

My electronics are all named after Twin Peaks/other Lychian characters and my wi-fi router is the Black Lodge.
Sometimes I look at my list of connected devices and question my sanity...

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

2tomorrow posted:

I have only gotten to name one of my animals and that was a cat called Bagheera. All my other ones came with names. :(

My cats came with names, but they were dumb so I changed them. Geo became Geordi, and Doobie (full version: Captain Dubert... somethingorother) became Riker. They didn't care... they're cats. And I had to change my dog's name once. I called her Jojo for a week before my dad found out and protested (he though Jojo was the man who thought he was a woman, but he was the man who thought he was a loner, dumb dad :() so we changed it to Petra. It wasn't too hard... Just combined the two for a while and she got it eventually.

And thanks for their new nicknames! Or future animal names, not sure. I have to have a Bagheera and a Baloo. Have. To. And they fit my current two idiots so well.

Best of luck at SAR! It looks super interesting, and you can do some good while keeping your dog occupied! Total win/win.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
My dog came with the name 'Gucci'.

Does this look like a Gucci to you?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

My dog came with the name 'Gucci'.

Does this look like a Gucci to you?

Only if you got it from the trunk of a car in a dark alley :downsrim:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I named my first animal at 5. His name was Colorpaws and he was a barncat. In my defense his paws were grey and white. My dad named the cat that came with our property- Mousebreath.

You didn't happen to read Redwall or Warrior books as a kid, did you?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Urggggggggggh

I was just trimming Lola's rear end hair and I slipped. I cut a massive chunk of hair off of her thigh and base of her tail/lower back. I tried to neaten it up on the leg and now she looks completely and totally stupid.

:negative:

My dog has a stupid patchy leg and half patchy other leg and a bare little tail now urgh :qq:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Requesting pictures of Lola's new haircut :haw: (come to think of it, the puppy could use a trim, too.)

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
My ferrets were Guybrush Threepwood (Gus), Bobbin Threadbare (Bear), and...Revan, since I couldn't convince myself that either Grim Fandango or Manny Calaveras were good ferret names. Also Jak was really John Henry, named after the racehorse.

Quaffle was going to be Frankel, also named after the racehorse, but I decided I didn't want to have to explain to people that my dog wasn't named after Bethenny, but rather after her racehorse trainer father, so I turned to Harry Potter instead. Quaffle was the most original Potter name I could find (it's one of the balls used in Quidditch). I think a big wolfy-looking dog having a squishy name like Quaffle is hilarious. Really he thinks his name is Stinky though.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

2tomorrow posted:

I think George and I are going to get involved with the local canine search and rescue team. I was talking to the new member coordinator today and she thought George sounds great for it. I have SAR experience (mounted and on foot) but never done anything like this with a dog. There's a ton of training involved but I think he'll love it. I'm having so much fun with this dog it is unbelievable.

I also got some pictures of him today on our hike that I will finally post on this thread tomorrow. I'm just on my kindle right now so can't do it at the moment.

This is awesome!!! :haw: Best of luck with everything, keep us updated!! And yay, pictures! :f5:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Requesting pictures of Lola's new haircut :haw: (come to think of it, the puppy could use a trim, too.)

Dog rear end: not okay

The pictures don't quite do it justice, either. :saddowns: A groomer I ain't.

:qq: what did you do to meeee :qq:

impossimole
Oct 21, 2005

Gravity?
Screw that.
Olive was sleep barking :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LXcTnwvFN0

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Fraction, I read your post too quickly and thought you had taken a chunk out of your dog's LEG, not just the hair, and I was briefly really concerned! She looks very silly, but at least there wasn't blood... :ohdear:

I got an email yesterday from my dad, and in talking back and forth he mentioned that his girlfriend really does not like rodents. She's into horses and farm stuff and has kept terriers and such over the years, I'm sure she sees them as pests and not at all cute. Not afraid of them, just unamused.

I'm glad he let me know, because with a previous girlfriend of his there was actually a fear issue, and he didn't bother to ask her about it before she came over and I held out a big brown rat who wanted to be cuddled. She never acted quite the same around me again. I felt terrible :smith:

I really like his current girlfriend, so I will not be flaunting any rodents at her when she visits.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Aw what. I'm icked out by pest rats, but who isn't? They're a horrible nuisance and a nightmare to deal with. But pet rats are cuties. :(

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
http://www.adoptapet.com/pet7211047.html
look at dis pibble i want dis pibble :ohdear:

I really need to stop browsing through dogs. Its like shopping. I hope I'm not the only one who does this.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Malalol posted:

I really need to stop browsing through dogs. Its like shopping. I hope I'm not the only one who does this.

But he's not a pibble, he's a "basenji mix" :rolleyes:

He is a cutie though! I do the same thing, even though it's torture since I can't have any more animals right now :(

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

I named my scorpion "Sub-Zero".

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

Malalol posted:

I do it to cheer myself up then I remember I can't get a dog yet and I'm more sad. :(
What a cutie though. :buddy:

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

:3:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

So I was browsing this website http://www.rescueme.org/ because yes, I too enjoy looking at animals I cannot own, and I just noticed something. They categorize dog temperament by energy (which is fine) and how dominant the dog is. Like the choices are literally things like "Somewhat submissive" or "very dominant". :psyduck: That...doesn't seem like it should be something a rescue site should classify dogs with.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
My dog is named Biscuit because it was the only thing she would respond to.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

idiot dog owner posted:

Bit is a wonderful dog, however my boyfriend moved here from Tennessee 2 months ago and one of my female dogs and she had got into a scuff today, for some unknown reason while we were outside. Not sure who started the fight but I have requested she be placed to a loving home. Bit has been good with all the dogs prior to this. she is great with all people and has been hauled to tons of horse shows and she will work cattle. She is Fully Housebroke, loves the couch..spayed . and very well mannered To A Good Home Only...
Two dogs got into a scuffle, so the only option is to get rid of the dog, even though you don't even know if this is the dog that started the fight...? :psyduck:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Azrael Alexander posted:

Two dogs got into a scuffle, so the only option is to get rid of the dog, even though you don't even know if this is the dog that started the fight...? :psyduck:

I'm sure this is a long standing point of contention between the two owners. "Get rid of that dog or I'm leaving!" "Your dog is mean!" etc.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
:toot: Bulrush has had 7 pups! :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

notsoape posted:

:toot: Bulrush has had 7 pups! :neckbeard:

One is going to be named KHAAAAAAAAANNN isn't it?

• Locked thread