Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

HauntedRobot posted:

So that's two shows in a row he's bailed on when he realises he's the least funny thing in them.
he was the funniest thing on Buzzcocks, with guest hosts it ranges from okay to terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

HauntedRobot posted:

So that's two shows in a row he's bailed on when he realises he's the least funny thing in them.

It's not possible to be the least funny person on a program that features Phil Jupitas unless you are Phil Jupitas.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Akuma posted:

You know he created and writes the show, right? How could he possibly be the "least funny thing in [it]" when it's his show?

Just because someone rights something doesn't mean it's necessarily going to be good or funny. I really don't think some of the characters would be as good as they are if they didn't have some pretty big hitters playing them. Rebecca Front alone is a veteran when it comes to comedy.

Simon is pretty much the most stilted one out of all of them, which works given the context of the show, but I get the impression that he knows he's not a very natural actor and wrote the role to reflect that.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Ddraig posted:

Simon is pretty much the most stilted one out of all of them, which works given the context of the show, but I get the impression that he knows he's not a very natural actor and wrote the role to reflect that.
yes, this is all true, but to suggest that he quit the show because he's the least funny thing in it when he wrote the drat thing and it's all based on his actual life is fairly ridiculous. And the reason the show has great comic actors is because it's intelligent and well written, if it wasn't then they wouldn't sign up to be in it

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

How dare someone stop writing when it comes to a natural end. everything must continue for at least an hundred episodes.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Paperhouse posted:

yes, this is all true, but to suggest that he quit the show because he's the least funny thing in it when he wrote the drat thing and it's all based on his actual life is fairly ridiculous. And the reason the show has great comic actors is because it's intelligent and well written, if it wasn't then they wouldn't sign up to be in it

Someone can write a show and still be the least funny actor in it. The writing and the performance are two different things. Seinfeld was the worst actor on Seinfeld.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Akuma posted:

You know he created and writes the show, right? How could he possibly be the "least funny thing in [it]" when it's his show?

Because he didn't write many funny lines, and didn't deliver the lines he gave himself in a manner that was funny. Some of the other people in it managed to raise a chuckle, he didn't. Therefore, I believe him to be the least funny thing in the show. Not exactly rocket science.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Trin Tragula posted:

Because he didn't write many funny lines, and didn't deliver the lines he gave himself in a manner that was funny. Some of the other people in it managed to raise a chuckle, he didn't. Therefore, I believe him to be the least funny thing in the show. Not exactly rocket science.

You do realise he wrote the other actors lines as well, right?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

fuf posted:

Someone can write a show and still be the least funny actor in it. The writing and the performance are two different things. Seinfeld was the worst actor on Seinfeld.

but was Seinfeld the least funny thing about a show called Seinfeld, written and creatively controlled by Jerry Seinfeld. the answer is no!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Don't start this shite again.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In many ways, this shite owes it's existence to Seinfeld.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Paperhouse posted:

but was Seinfeld the least funny thing about a show called Seinfeld, written and creatively controlled by Jerry Seinfeld. the answer is no!

Yeah you're right, I guess I thought HauntedRobot's initial post implied he was just talking about the on-screen performances, which would have been something different. But whatever this is silly.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Strawman posted:

You do realise he wrote the other actors lines as well, right?

Most of them were shite. Sometimes the delivery elevated them.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

quote:

Stephen Mangan ‏@StephenMangan

It gives me no pleasure whatsoever to report that the BBC have decided not to make any more #DirkGently.

The poor ratings of the series proper seem to have killed it. :(

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Oh for gently caress's sake.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Just watched the last episode of Grandma's House, thought it was the best yet. Might have to assume all Amstell-hate in this thread is subconscious homophobia from now on.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Al2001 posted:

Just watched the last episode of Grandma's House, thought it was the best yet. Might have to assume all Amstell-hate in this thread is subconscious homophobia from now on.

My sister just bought me his standup DVD for my birthday and I want to find out the real answer to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_t3FSEapIo Mel C's question, sorry to disappoint.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Anyone want to go to BAFTA, watch the first episode of Veep and have a Q&A with Armando Iannucci? Because it's £7.50 a ticket. http://www.bafta.org/public-event.h...4OYWrVhuKSqXEt1

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I've been enjoying Dragon's Den, the UK version.

It's getting pretty repeditive now, what else can you guys suggest?

Grand Designs, Dragon's Den, generally grown ups doing grown up things and talking like grown ups (the Dragons can push it at times).

Reality TV is obviously fine, but the type of reality TV where it's interesting enough people on their own. I don't want 'here is some random person in some strange situation!'.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Tony Montana posted:

Well, I've been enjoying Dragon's Den, the UK version.

It's getting pretty repeditive now, what else can you guys suggest?

Grand Designs, Dragon's Den, generally grown ups doing grown up things and talking like grown ups (the Dragons can push it at times).

Reality TV is obviously fine, but the type of reality TV where it's interesting enough people on their own. I don't want 'here is some random person in some strange situation!'.

If you like Dragon's Den you should like Four Rooms (Channel 4). Also there's something called "Dealers" on one of the documentary channels which seems like the same thing. I appreciate that you weren't just narrowly asking for Dragon's Den type shows though.

For an outlier try "Inside the Medieval Mind" on BBC. I only saw the first one, "Knowledge". Stick with it, it gets serious after the extremely weird opening section about dog-headed people.

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 29, 2012

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

HoldYourFire posted:

If you like Dragon's Den you should like Four Rooms (Channel 4). Also there's something called "Dealers" on one of the documentary channels which seems like the same thing. I appreciate that you weren't just narrowly asking for Dragon's Den type shows though.

For an outlier try "The Medieval Way of Thinking" on BBC. I only saw the first one, "Knowledge". Stick with it, it gets serious after the extremely weird opening section about dog-headed people.

Excellent, cheers mate!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If you want unique Reality TV with a twist, I will also suggest Lads Army that was on telly from 2002 to 2005.

Basically the first series was just a bunch of volunteers interested in reinacting 1950s National Service in the British Army of the regular Tommies with the help of Historians and actual British Military servicemen and officers. It had interviews with some of our older writers, actors, journos who talked about their own actual experinces in the late fifties and sixties with this stuff.

The 2nd series dealt with Paratrooper training with the volunteers again and the final one was pretty radical with chavs volunteering or being 'suggested' to take part in some of the stuff of the first series and Officer training. The ending of the last series is simply heart warming and amazingly only one of the chavs actually sulked and dropped out as I can recall.

There is also the reinactment series of a bunch of lads suffering through Trench Warfare and the conditions British soldiers had to endure in the first world war.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

SeanBeansShako posted:

If you want unique Reality TV with a twist, I will also suggest Lads Army that was on telly from 2002 to 2005.

Basically the first series was just a bunch of volunteers interested in reinacting 1950s National Service in the British Army of the regular Tommies with the help of Historians and actual British Military servicemen and officers. It had interviews with some of our older writers, actors, journos who talked about their own actual experinces in the late fifties and sixties with this stuff.

The 2nd series dealt with Paratrooper training with the volunteers again and the final one was pretty radical with chavs volunteering or being 'suggested' to take part in some of the stuff of the first series and Officer training. The ending of the last series is simply heart warming and amazingly only one of the chavs actually sulked and dropped out as I can recall.

There is also the reinactment series of a bunch of lads suffering through Trench Warfare and the conditions British soldiers had to endure in the first world war.

Thanks, I think HoldYourFire is more on the money.

The settings does sound interesting, but that last series does also sound like the usual cast of losers. I just can't give my personal time over to people that I wouldn't give the time of day in reality.

People's minds, which usually means older more experienced people because they have more interesting minds, are what I'm talking about. Even 'put this person through this physical ordeal' I just find inherently boring, I don't need a graphic modern depiction of trench warfare because I've done enough of my own reading to have pretty much been there myself.

Some of the insight you get into interesting people, though, in some of the newer reality TV concepts offers something new and different.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Most of the losers in the last series actually reformed themselves through the experinces and a few of them even joined the army. It was actually quite heart warming to see them and their weary families are happy in the last episode :smith:.

I do sort of hope those guys are on the right path again.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

HoldYourFire posted:

For an outlier try "The Medieval Way of Thinking" on BBC. I only saw the first one, "Knowledge". Stick with it, it gets serious after the extremely weird opening section about dog-headed people.

Great series but it's actually called "Inside the Medieval Mind" for anyone searching. It's the same guy that did the recent series on the Normans (also really good).

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

fuf posted:

Great series but it's actually called "Inside the Medieval Mind" for anyone searching. It's the same guy that did the recent series on the Normans (also really good).

Thanks, I fixed it just in case anyone sees it later.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

HoldYourFire posted:

Also there's something called "Dealers" on one of the documentary channels which seems like the same thing.

I caught this on TV a few weeks ago and, for some reason, I really enjoyed it. All the dealers come out with good advice and are generally more tolerable and fairer people than the morons on Dragons' Den. Granted I got sick of the BBC programme a looong time ago, but I assuming it's the same repetitive nonsense.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Tony Montana posted:

Thanks, I think HoldYourFire is more on the money.

The settings does sound interesting, but that last series does also sound like the usual cast of losers. I just can't give my personal time over to people that I wouldn't give the time of day in reality.

People's minds, which usually means older more experienced people because they have more interesting minds, are what I'm talking about. Even 'put this person through this physical ordeal' I just find inherently boring, I don't need a graphic modern depiction of trench warfare because I've done enough of my own reading to have pretty much been there myself.

Some of the insight you get into interesting people, though, in some of the newer reality TV concepts offers something new and different.

Oh for christ sake, you could have conveyed your opinion so much better.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Didion posted:

And deny me this laugh?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The first Lads' Army series was extremely dull, and then some bright spark thought up the "Bad Lads" concept and it just took off. It definitely lost something when they had to bring in that little idiot to be the Provost Sergeant instead of Weston, who I could literally watch doing his thing for hours and hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YpOvZIEw9s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOHL8n76Dps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB0iZk-lDy8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMzdSDrGU-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT23Nc7vQcE

I IS A loving HORRIBLE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Anyone want to go to BAFTA, watch the first episode of Veep and have a Q&A with Armando Iannucci? Because it's £7.50 a ticket. http://www.bafta.org/public-event.h...4OYWrVhuKSqXEt1

Sold out, bugger, but went on the waiting list. I've been to games Q&As there, it's pretty sweet.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Richard Herring's podcast with Charlie Brooker is up:
http://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/richard_herring_lst_podcast/

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

"Quanta" posted:

generally more tolerable and fairer people than the morons on Dragons' Den

When I first learned of the show's format (a few weeks ago) I went looking at the various incarnations of it. There are versions from dozens of countries, there is a US one and we even did an Australian one.

I watch the UK one because if you think those people are awful, they're nothing on the others. The American one was particularly awful, these self-important twats just literally yelling abuse at the poor bastard up there pitching his life's work. Of course, every second pitch came out with a girl in a bikini for some tenuous reason (it's because SEX SELLS except noone passed them the memo that's it's also crass and frankly embarrassing when these supposed bastions of industry and society are so obviously jumped-up trash).

James Caan, who was on UK DD for quite a while.. I read a bit about him. He tried to buy a baby in India, it wasn't totally nasty or anything and he meant for his brother or something to care for it and give it a better life. But he, no poo poo, actually said to the mother and father I'll give you the equivalent of around 700 pounds for it.

He's not in the newest series and after another little spat with Duncan about tax (something I think Duncan has a point on, like F1 drivers that grow up and use the education system and hospitals and get driven to the track on tax payers roads and when they make it big they gently caress straight off to Switzerland or something so they don't have to pay UK income tax). I think James was politely told his services were no longer required and thanks so much for your efforts (and don't let the door hit your rear end on the way out, you loving clown).

Anyways, all this adds to the interest for me. It's about real people doing things that aren't mundane and something I don't see and instantly think 'I could do that.. why am I watching a show about nothing? Seinfeld was at least consistently funny..'

Didion posted:

Heh, I guess I meant often those kind of shows appeal to people without much experience with the subject matter. Like those science shows that run through the big bang theory with lots of CG and a hushed presenter, actual scientists can't watch it because it's like sitting through first year again (with less fact and more sensationalism).

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Well thats a great start to a Wednesday. I saw him on an old HIGNFY last night (on Dave, home of out of date repeats of topical shows) and he was great.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

loving awesome. This series was brilliant and I still try to summon my internal Malcom Tucker when someone needs to cop it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Muppetjedi posted:

Richard Herring's podcast with Charlie Brooker is up:
http://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/richard_herring_lst_podcast/

Best on he's done so far, especially if you've followed Charlie Brooker's career and want to know more about him before he got famous.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Best on he's done so far, especially if you've followed Charlie Brooker's career and want to know more about him before he got famous.

My friend found an old PC Zone (or was it gamer?) from the late 90's. He lent it to me to read on the train. From my quick browse through I remember that he liked Carmageddon 2. Fascinating.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Even back then he was clearly the most talented writer, his reviews were always the highlight of the magazine, and now we know he was stoned when he was writing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ben Soosneb posted:

My friend found an old PC Zone (or was it gamer?) from the late 90's. He lent it to me to read on the train. From my quick browse through I remember that he liked Carmageddon 2. Fascinating.

It probably wasn't until You Have Been Watching (more of that please, by the way) that I learned that he did the comics advertising Computer Exchange. His art was still on the signage for the Birmingham CEX last time I was there, I think.