Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

pram posted:

I'm looking for a moron-proof cms. My friend is volunteering for a marathon and wants to make a website to put the sponsors/info on. I'm looking for something that has a very easy editor.

I thought about wordpress but its not really a blog format, it'll basically be a couple pages. Any ideas?

Have a look at SquareSpace. Visual editing, loads of decent templates, fully managed hosting and incredibly simple to use. $10 a month but you can do a 2 week trial to build the site without commitment (no credit card on sign up etc) and if you hunt around there's normally promo codes for them (TWIT and Revision3 almost always have offers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

blunt posted:

Have a look at SquareSpace. Visual editing, loads of decent templates, fully managed hosting and incredibly simple to use. $10 a month but you can do a 2 week trial to build the site without commitment (no credit card on sign up etc) and if you hunt around there's normally promo codes for them (TWIT and Revision3 almost always have offers).

Dang this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Oh come the gently caress on whmcs not again

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
^ drat, they're getting raped.

Biowarfare posted:

Why the hell are they using hostgator?

The database implied they have some sort of special relationship with HostGator, maybe they got free hosting?

At least it's nice to know that WHMCS itself isn't to blame. Like, it always irked me that people (including us) rely on an $18/month piece of software to manage the billing for such a crazy amount of accounts. Obviously customization is the real expense but still...

ichorclaw
Oct 31, 2010

by Fistgrrl

ichorclaw fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 29, 2013

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

ichorclaw posted:

WHMCS gets free hosting from HostGator in exchange for providing free WHMCS licenses for HostGator reseller accounts.

I heard from people who work there that they called up HG support and essentially verified that they were the owner of the server and had them change the root password.

WHMCS caught on and changed it back but apparently didn't check for back-doors and got hacked, again.

Third time, frontpage/blog just got hit

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Any suggestions for a canadian VPS service to setup a VPN server on?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Phiberoptik posted:

Any suggestions for a canadian VPS service to setup a VPN server on?

Are you looking to run other things on it or just host a VPN to surf the net?

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
This WHMCS thing is pretty funny, another hacking crew 'GearSec' has posted this about them:

quote:

A statement from GearSec on pastebin the underground crew revealed this isn’t the end and will continue to reveal information about the UGNazi hacking crew.

It’s rare that we make any public appearances, but we think that this one was necessary. You’ve made countless mistakes upon your operations, and the feds are watching your every move. If you think for a second that any three letter agency know’s more about you than us, you’re very mistaken. GearSec is from the underground, and we’re here to loving take the scene back. It’s skids and pieces of this like you and the rest of your crew (who will be coming up in the first issue of GearSec) are about to get loving wrecked. GearSec is filing an operation on you, and the rest of your skid team and those affiliated.

Why are we targeting you specifically? For your motives, you’re saying that you’re fighting for a better internet, and for freedom. Yet you limit the freedom of peace on the citizens of the internet. The internet was created as a tool for human society to use to better each other, and to escape the nightmare of being disconnected. With the internet there is a flow of freedom and information that most governments could not limit even if they had wanted. UGnazi and other entities like it are doing nothing but generating the need for more regulation, thus choking the users of the internet of their freedom.

GearSec is keeping an eye on you and your activities, and we’ll strike when appropriate. Don’t forget to check your mail Josh, you may be receiving critical information from said three letter agencies.

They also posted all his personal details on http://whmcs-hacker.soup.io/ - He retaliated by DDoSing soup.io, but here's google's cached copy:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:DBJaaLmXqmoJ:whmcs-hacker.soup.io/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

Fuckin' script kiddies

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gism0 posted:

This WHMCS thing is pretty funny, another hacking crew 'GearSec' has posted this about them:

They also posted all his personal details on http://whmcs-hacker.soup.io/ - He retaliated by DDoSing soup.io, but here's google's cached copy:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:DBJaaLmXqmoJ:whmcs-hacker.soup.io/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

Fuckin' script kiddies

So they traced the IP of someone bragging about the hack and posted all his info online? Nice.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
If I were to buy an unmanaged VPS, and secure it by following the steps here: http://library.linode.com/securing-your-server, how secure would the server be? Would it be as secure as a shared server?

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Short answer is no. Long answer is that it's a bit more complex.

The Linode security guide is a good first step, but good security is a constant process. You can't just do a couple things and then forget about it. You could have the best firewall and protect SSH from intrusion, for example, and still have vulnerabilities by running vulnerable software.

Shared webhosts (good ones at least) almost certainly have more software or hardware involved in security than the Linode guide mentions. Some might be in-house, others may be more widely available.

If you have a low-traffic site and check in every once in a while, the Linode guide is probably fine, as it deals with some of the most common targets. Otherwise, I would recommend hitting up a more in-depth Linux security/administration guide if you want to make sure a VPS you get is really secure.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

rawrr posted:

If I were to buy an unmanaged VPS, and secure it by following the steps here: http://library.linode.com/securing-your-server, how secure would the server be? Would it be as secure as a shared server?

The first steps in that guide are good. But for the firewall and fail2ban steps, I would skip those and install this if you're up to it http://www.configserver.com/cp/csf.html. It will manage the firewall and do everything fail2ban does and then some. If you did that, I would say you have a very secure server.

The next page on that Linode article http://library.linode.com/hosting-website has good steps for everything you need to get your website up and running, and with some good configurations. This is where you can re-introduce security issues if you're not careful. After you get everything installed, run the the csf system check tool to see common security issues and how your server measures up for each one. It's by no means an exhaustive security list, and not "passing" an item isn't necessarily bad, but I think it's a really good starting point if you're still new to server security.

And as Anaxite said, you're only as secure as what you run on your server. For example, if you're running an out of date Wordpress, you leave yourself open to issues. If you run outdated plugins even, you could have issues. So be mindful of what you put on the server, and keep it up to date.

I'm also a fan of logwatch http://library.linode.com/server-monitoring/logwatch/ubuntu-10.10-maverick which gives you a nice summary of system logs. If you do get a Linode, I am sure you'll get plenty of help here and especially over in the Linode IRC room if you run into any questions.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Thanks for the helpful reply. I was actually leaning towards serveraxis, based on recommendations here and on WHT - $12 for 1GB of RAM and 16GB on a SSD seems much better than linode's entry level offering. I still intend to take advantage of linode's kickass documentation though.

I don't really need a VPS, but I'm just a bit tired of shared hosting. I've been on a shared or reseller plan with a variety of hosts over a span of 10ish years, including host gator, a small orange, fuitadnet (good riddance), jaguarpc, hytek, liquidweb, and several others I can't remember. I really dislike how the barrier to entry to webhosting is so low, and the quantity vs quality nature of the competition. I don't mind paying more, but it's just not clear to me with shared hosting what you're paying for with the extra money.

So I was hoping with VPS providers there would be less of a race to the bottom mentality, free of cheesy designs, animals mascots, and the ubiquitous whcms signup form. Linode appeals to me in that regard, and serveraxis seems a lot sketchier in comparison, but I can't seem to find anything bad that was said about them.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Linode is really good, if you end up going with them; it's not the most expensive service. While isn't the cheapest either (I ended up moving away due to much bigger traffic requirements), Linode's reliability and provided tools/documentation is way ahead of the competition.

In the worst case, you just have to take the plunge and try a provider out. Even if it's daunting, learning how to manage a server can be a lot of fun and there are far worse providers than Linode or Serveraxis out there.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Are there any reliable, as in you could use for an eCommerce site, VPS/Dedicated hosts in the U.S. that do Windows servers with 3g ram for sub $200/mth or I am expecting too low a price point?

Bounce Web seems to fit the bill but they have mixed reviews, although I don't think any that I've seen have been about their VPS specifically.

edit: v thanks guys!

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 30, 2012

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Cirofren posted:

Are there any reliable, as in you could use for an eCommerce site, VPS/Dedicated hosts in the U.S. that do Windows servers with 3g ram for sub $200/mth or I am expecting too low a price point?

Bounce Web seems to fit the bill but they have mixed reviews, although I don't think any that I've seen have been about their VPS specifically.

Depending on how rock solid you need it, it's might be a bit low a price point but still doable:

The first two are also goon-run hosts and in the OP. I'm sure there are other options but those are the ones I could find quickly.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Cirofren posted:

Do you need PCI/SOX/<insert other thing>/etc?
Also, try Gigenet or Singlehop

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I am having domain issues and wondered if someone could shed some light...

The old web designer has been a total pain in my rear end regarding moving a domain. He registered it himself and seems to be trying to hold it at ransom. I am with Dyna Dot and have read their migration guide. Basically I need the domain (duh) and the AUTH code. He says his registrar wont give this to him and he needs me to send him a different code. I cant seem to locate the email with the code he asked for but it wasn't a auth code. I am really wondering if I can bypass him totally and go to nominet to get this resolved. Its been 3 months...

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

thegasman2000 posted:

The old web designer has been a total pain in my rear end regarding moving a domain. He registered it himself and seems to be trying to hold it at ransom.

Do you have unpaid bills with him?

thegasman2000 posted:

I am with Dyna Dot and have read their migration guide. Basically I need the domain (duh) and the AUTH code. He says his registrar wont give this to him and he needs me to send him a different code. I cant seem to locate the email with the code he asked for but it wasn't a auth code.

you need REGISTRAR-LOCK turned off and the EPP code

thegasman2000 posted:

I am really wondering if I can bypass him totally and go to nominet to get this resolved. Its been 3 months...

Doubt it, nominet are loving terrible

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Rufo posted:

Doubt it, nominet are loving terrible

On the other hand, if that's your only avenue, you might as well try. At best they can work with you and confirm whether he's been telling the truth, and at worst you're still at square one.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Who are the big hosted providers out there with a reliable network and 24/7 support like Rackspace, that aren't Rackspace? They've knocked us off line twice becuase of their actions. First was replacing a NIC and not assigning our IP addresses to it, and last week they upgraded MySQL without our permission. (they asked if we wanted to upgrade, we said we would need to test etc, then they just went ahead and did it one night. durr!)

They did offer us a hundred dollar credit. :haw:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Rufo posted:

Do you have unpaid bills with him?

No and he has already been paid an extra £20 to release the domain. The client believed his bullshit. I however...

mooky
Jan 14, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Who are the big hosted providers out there with a reliable network and 24/7 support like Rackspace, that aren't Rackspace? They've knocked us off line twice becuase of their actions. First was replacing a NIC and not assigning our IP addresses to it, and last week they upgraded MySQL without our permission. (they asked if we wanted to upgrade, we said we would need to test etc, then they just went ahead and did it one night. durr!)

They did offer us a hundred dollar credit. :haw:

You really can't go wrong with SoftLayer for Dedicated servers. Many large hosting providers use them including some Goon run hosts as well as Hostgator and Resellerclub.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
So I signed up for a serveraxis 1gb SSD VPS to test things out. For those interested, I ran unixbench on it:

code:
   BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 5.1.3)

System: VO14915.temp: GNU/Linux
   OS: GNU/Linux -- 3.2.0-23-generic -- #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012
   Machine: x86_64 (x86_64)
   Language: en_US.utf8 (charmap="UTF-8", collate="UTF-8")
   CPU 0: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz (4000.1 bogomips)
          Hyper-Threading, x86-64, MMX, Physical Address Ext, SYSENTER/SYSEXIT, SYSCALL/SYSRET
   CPU 1: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz (4000.1 bogomips)
          Hyper-Threading, x86-64, MMX, Physical Address Ext, SYSENTER/SYSEXIT, SYSCALL/SYSRET
   CPU 2: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz (4000.1 bogomips)
   CPU 3: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz (4000.1 bogomips)
   17:59:32 up 30 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.26, 0.13, 0.08; runlevel 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Benchmark Run: Tue May 29 2012 17:59:32 - 18:27:25
4 CPUs in system; running 1 parallel copy of tests

-snip-

System Benchmarks Index Values               BASELINE       RESULT    INDEX
Dhrystone 2 using register variables         116700.0   18643528.5   1597.6
Double-Precision Whetstone                       55.0       2055.9    373.8
Execl Throughput                                 43.0        602.9    140.2
File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks          3960.0     178117.3    449.8
File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks            1655.0      46335.9    280.0
File Copy 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks          5800.0     545192.7    940.0
Pipe Throughput                               12440.0     257827.4    207.3
Pipe-based Context Switching                   4000.0      15529.4     38.8
Process Creation                                126.0       1206.8     95.8
Shell Scripts (1 concurrent)                     42.4       1483.9    350.0
Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                      6.0        206.7    344.4
System Call Overhead                          15000.0     287264.4    191.5
                                                                   ========
System Benchmarks Index Score                                         273.6

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Benchmark Run: Tue May 29 2012 18:27:25 - 18:55:45
4 CPUs in system; running 4 parallel copies of tests

-snip-

System Benchmarks Index Values               BASELINE       RESULT    INDEX
Dhrystone 2 using register variables         116700.0   18301746.8   1568.3
Double-Precision Whetstone                       55.0       2154.5    391.7
Execl Throughput                                 43.0        621.0    144.4
File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks          3960.0      82437.0    208.2
File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks            1655.0      21815.2    131.8
File Copy 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks          5800.0     251643.5    433.9
Pipe Throughput                               12440.0     261179.2    210.0
Pipe-based Context Switching                   4000.0      46239.9    115.6
Process Creation                                126.0       1452.2    115.3
Shell Scripts (1 concurrent)                     42.4       1536.9    362.5
Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                      6.0        209.0    348.4
System Call Overhead                          15000.0     272020.1    181.3
                                                                   ========
System Benchmarks Index Score                                         252.7
Is there a reason the parallel unixbench score is so close to the single process one?

Looks like you get what you pay for - linode benches at 719/1389

I would've at least expected the file operations to be faster since the serveraxis claims to use SSDs, but it's actually much much slower.

rawrr fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 30, 2012

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Anyone have recommendations for good forums software?

E: Any thoughts on IPB? They have a hosted solution that seems decent.

RyceCube fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 5, 2012

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

Phiberoptik posted:

How about Titan? :D

What kind of requirements do you have? Number of visitors, features you want, free/paid, etc... There's tons of forum software out there, so you'll have to give some criteria if you want meaningful suggestions.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Phiberoptik posted:

I actually have a hosted IPB solution for 10 users, and while it's been pretty empty, I'm still as impressed as ever with IPB. I'm a big fan of it personally. Also, I had a small issue that was just caused by a weird edge case, but support was quite fast in fixing it.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Phiberoptik posted:

vBulletin Version 2.2.9. You're probably going to need a coder to make it usable though. I hear Radium is looking for work available :v:

Flash Gordon
May 8, 2006
Death To Ming
Is there anyway to get (myname).com out of the clutches of GoDaddy? I go to the page and it talks about being expired, but whois seems to give the expiration date but a year later than the one listed on the page? I know there are some services that will wait and see if the website ever drops and get it for you, can I use one of these?

Console Parade
Aug 20, 2010
I've seen WHOIS get a bit weird with expiration dates myself. I've seen some registrars are pretty weird about transferring within 60 days of the expiration date and some will refuse to transfer or accept expired domains. I don't know where GoDaddy sits on the fence. IMO just renew and transfer later. If you get charged by the receiving registrar, that should pad an extra year on the expiration date.

Flash Gordon
May 8, 2006
Death To Ming

Console Parade posted:

I've seen WHOIS get a bit weird with expiration dates myself. I've seen some registrars are pretty weird about transferring within 60 days of the expiration date and some will refuse to transfer or accept expired domains. I don't know where GoDaddy sits on the fence. IMO just renew and transfer later. If you get charged by the receiving registrar, that should pad an extra year on the expiration date.

Sorry, I should clarify that someone else currently owns the domain. Going to the website gives a (GoDaddy) notice that it has expired.

Console Parade
Aug 20, 2010
Right now the owner of the site is the only one who can renew. After some period of time (it's 60 days here at AwfulHost) the registrar will delete the domain and then it's up for grabs.

e: I could be wrong, I've only worked for one host.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Flash Gordon posted:

Sorry, I should clarify that someone else currently owns the domain. Going to the website gives a (GoDaddy) notice that it has expired.

The WHOIS information would be the more authoritative one, since going to the website will just say whatever the domain owner or GoDaddy decides to put up.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

rawrr posted:

The WHOIS information would be the more authoritative one, since going to the website will just say whatever the domain owner or GoDaddy decides to put up.

This. It could be that the domain owner did let the domain lapse but GoDaddy keeps it registered to themselves. It's shady, but not unheard of, for some registrars to keep popular domains in a registered state.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Can anyone recommend a free DNS host that provides dyndns services of some sort? I've been using WTFdns for some time, but their SSL certificate has expired and their dyndns no longer updates. It appears that the service has simply been abandoned by the parent company.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

thelightguy posted:

Can anyone recommend a free DNS host that provides dyndns services of some sort? I've been using WTFdns for some time, but their SSL certificate has expired and their dyndns no longer updates. It appears that the service has simply been abandoned by the parent company.

Do you need to use your own domain, or does any work for you?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

My own. I actually have four domains hosted with them, but only one needs dyndns.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Your options aren't that great, but you could try out Namecheap's free DNS service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Sounds like it'll do what I need. Thanks.