Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

MageMage posted:

I don't remember there existing ANY items at all that raised your strength, pre-renaissance. I remember armor that took more hits, and offered better protection, but never raising strength. Could you refresh my memory?

It was a long time ago but I think it was something like gorgets and sashes with strength charges. The details are pretty hard to remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Coolguye posted:

The guy who attacked us yelled out "WHY AREN'T U HELPING!!!!!"

His guildmate simply said "u got ur boat key on u"
I feel like this story could make a legitimate novel or film.

Category Fun! posted:

Are you sure it was actually his home? maybe he was griefing someone else?
I like to think that this is the case, because that would be such a cool meta-grief.

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 29, 2012

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is there a way to hook a mouse up to an x-box? Are there any 3rd party controllers like that? I'd pay good money to play a game where everyone else was stuck with controllers.

There's always this:
http://xim3.com/

I had the first model for a while and it worked pretty well depending on how the game handled aiming.

Caban the Grey
Nov 5, 2007

Sancho posted:

I have a couple UO stories.

I can vouch that every single thing Sancho said is completely true, as I was right there beside him doing the same dumbass stuff.

The Yew town was just Yew on Great Lakes it was run by the Yew Militia... and it surrounded Kazola's Tavern, which ended up getting some notoriety from the PvPonline webcomic. And yeah, all the dumbass PvP characters... Samwise, Skull and the lot are based off guys that we routinely pantsed.

And yeah... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay early on there were lots of weird magic items lying around. There was an absolute glut of gorgets of bless and wands of fireball. Even some of the server birth statues came with magic charges that were invariably wasted within minutes of collection because we didn't know they would be unique items.

Were you there when we helped SiNister steal that "magic potion" that was supposed to un-petrify some NPC in one of the main plotlines on early GL?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnZvrjv1_JI

The Xim3 is totally hilarious and should be count as a form of greefing. Really shows how much better a mouse handles over a controller.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

mcvey posted:

The Xim3 is totally hilarious and should be count as a form of greefing. Really shows how much better a mouse handles over a controller.

The only thing missing from that chatty guy's tags would be a marijuana emblem.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

mcvey posted:

Ehhh. He spent most of that game barely edging out the second place guy.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

mcvey posted:

Best part was when "A Deadly Pixie" showed up and it's a little kid saying "god loving damnit".

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

SpazmasterX posted:

He's still coming in first in a random game, and someone is getting mad about it.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpazmasterX posted:

That's because he's bad. An experienced PC player dominates people with the xim or whatever. The video demonstrates that even people who are bad at aiming with mouse can still do a hell of a lot better than people playing with controllers.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Stuntman posted:

That's because he's bad. An experienced PC player dominates people with the xim or whatever. The video demonstrates that even people who are bad at aiming with mouse can still do a hell of a lot better than people playing with controllers.

Fair enough. I don't think I've ever encountered anyone using it during my time with MW2, especially if they jump and dropshot like that guy, so I'd much prefer to see a video of someone that regularly plays on PC using it. The rage there would probably be much funnier. That video is probably how someone like me would do, since I haven't played a multiplayer shooter on PC since Quake 2.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Caban the Grey posted:

I can vouch that every single thing Sancho said is completely true, as I was right there beside him doing the same dumbass stuff.

Oh yeah that reminds me how easy it was to just plain old trick people in UO. Our guild house got broken into because one of our enemies made a character named Caban and stood outside the door until we let him in. Such a simple trick but it got us good haha.

I just remembered another one. Server up after patch was always interesting. One time shortly after release, magic missile started doing 50 damage a shot. Well, of course we rolled magery newbs and went around 2-shotting everyone we came across in covetous. People started to catch on and after a while it was like playing quake in UO. That got fixed quick but man bugs make games so fun.

Last good one I have involved UOAssist. It was a third party program that made UO more playable, but let you do some shady poo poo sometimes. This grief involved opening a target's paperdoll and pre-targeting his equipped weapon. Casting spells in UO would cause you to temporarily unequip your weapon. Two of us with high stealing would sneak over to him and while one engaged, the other would steal the weapon when the target tried to cast a spell. We only got really good poo poo a couple times, but it generated a lot of rage.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do people actually play like that? Jumping about and proning?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cojawfee posted:

Do people actually play like that? Jumping about and proning?

It presents a smaller target and makes you harder to hit, so yes?

Ungrateful Dead
May 13, 2012

Knocking at Paranoia's Poision Door

mcvey posted:

Not even 30 seconds in and you already have a guy on the brink of crying and shouting.
"PLEEEEEEASE- LET ME WIN"

Well played.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

For the 360, Microsoft has pretty strict rules about controllers and user input in games. I don't know about mice specifically, but based on their ban on keyboard input (except for typing), I doubt they'd allow it. And even if it's theoretically possible to hack up a mouse and 360 controller somehow, you'd run the risk of getting banned from Live.
Sony, on the other hand, has a mouse-like controller out there which I almost considered buying when my friends and I somehow thought Killzone 2 was going to be worthwhile. From the reviews I remember it was an improvement but still not as good as the real thing.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 13, 2013

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Jabor posted:

It presents a smaller target and makes you harder to hit, so yes?

It was useful in Battlefield 2 for awhile too, you could sprint, jump and prone in the air and get the full stability bonus while flying forward like Superman. You still had to stand up once you hit the ground, but it was still useful for getting full stabilization on the move.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Shumagorath posted:

Sony, on the other hand, has a mouse-like controller out there

Actually, PS3 developers can enable USB keyboard and mouse input if they want to. It would be fun to troll this way, but I don't know if any of the super-popular shooters support it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Unreal Tournament 3 supported keyboard and mouse pretty well, although anyone who dared enter a cross-controller server with a gamepad was pretty hosed. I've read that CCP's EVE Online shooter Dust 514 will support it, and I think the new Counter Strike will too.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Ungrateful Dead posted:

Not even 30 seconds in and you already have a guy on the brink of crying and shouting.
"PLEEEEEEASE- LET ME WIN"

Well played.

I'm surprised by the type of whining he was doing. With consoles and xbox live, is there any reason at all to accuse people of wall hacking and aim botting? At least in Counter-Strike there actually were a ton of people doing it.

Oh that reminds me of a good counter grief. Back in the Halflife 1 days, I played a pretty obscure Matrix themed mod called "Existence." The mod had a pretty small player base so you tended to play with a lot of the same people. The way the main map was designed one team (rebels) was clustered in a busted up building and the other team (agents) always spawned a few people near the door.

It was common for the agents outside to bust in while the rebels either fought their way onto the streets or escaped to the rooftops. One night we're just getting destroyed every time they rush the front door. This guy on my team is sure they're using aim bots but it isn't really clear.

A few days later I'm playing again and we're basically in the same situation, when the same guys joins again. He explains that a lot of aim bots work on colour selection. The models are all changed to red or green and the bot automatically tracks them. Halflife let users make custom spray textures, and he had made one that was just a big red and green squares. He sprays it on the floor in front of the door. After that every time they ran in 2 of them would immediately snap their view to floor and get killed before they could fix it.

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 29, 2012

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

That is an awesome grief and it all fits the theme of the mod very well.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Reminds me of a kid a lan who griefed himself in CS by loading up a hack program and turning everything on, resulting in the walls going invisible and subsequently loosing as he was unable to see where he was going and kept on running into oncoming fire.

The other CS greif was making decoy sprays of yourself, which was quite handy at distances or to spray sticking out of corners.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
In a CS:S server I was playing in once, there was a speed hacker, but I noticed the speed hack took him through the same path every time, no variation. So I stayed back a couple times to learn the path and timing, and started hanging back to head shot him when he ran through our spawn every single round. Eventually he started raging over his mic, which was still semi rare on PCs back then since this wasn't very long after launch. He had a pretty deep voice, but eventually in the middle of a tirade at me... "YOU MOTHER*crack*fucker". He quit the server then and there while the only other guy with a mic was just laughing his rear end off. In the end it was mainly him griefing himself, but I like to think I helped trigger it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm surprised by the type of whining he was doing. With consoles and xbox live, is there any reason at all to accuse people of wall hacking and aim botting? At least in Counter-Strike there actually were a ton of people doing it.

There is, kinda. A lot of stuff is handled by developers, not microsoft, and some subtler consoles mods that don't get you automatically banned from XBL can infect games, and be passed on as software. I dunno about other games, but I remember playing COD4 with some friends a few months ago and it was rife with gamebreaking 'infections' that basically let you do all kinda crazy poo poo.

But that's irrelevant, because we all know that in a FPS when somebody kills you, they're using an aimbot.

Also, back to COD knife chat: The knife isn't broken in Black Ops, that dude is just good at using it, and he's surrounded by bad players who are mostly tunnel visioned on the dude they're shooting at and by their lovely FOV. It was broken back in Modern Warfare II between really bad design decisions, bad net code, and a few exploits. You could be a good fifty feet away from somebody, and lunge forward and more or less teleport straight into their spine, immediately killing them. They didn't actually teleport, but if you weren't hosting the game you wouldn't be able to kill them unless you got really lucky. It was so absurd and rage inducing.

Before COD though, I used to play Rainbow Six: Vegas on the 360, which had a pretty 'tactical' user base and was fairly popular before COD4 came out. Because it was a FPS sniper rifles were incredibly popular, and since players could host games and kick players, there were often 'sniper only' games, with all kinds of bullshit. We hosted these.

Oh, and the game had a cover system. Hold a button to go into cover against the nearest wall and the camera switched to third person, to let you see around the corner.

I remember that it was fairly common to play on one map, "Streets", with everyone using sniper rifles and only sticking to the two spawn buildings on opposite ends of the map. It was basically a square, symmetrical map, with two wide buildings on the north/south that teams spawned in, two sets of smaller buildings connected by cat walks on the east/west side, and small little hut in the middle with a big wide open ground area that was sure place to get shot no matter how you played. The spawn buildings had two stories, a porch, two doors on the second floor that could be fast roped out of, and a tunnel that connected both buildings to a little room in the middile, below the little hut. For whatever reason, a common game type was that everyone would stick to their side of the map, either to the spawn buildings or not past one of the buildings on the sides, and everyone would use sniper rifles (bolt action, of course), no pistols, no assault rifles, nothing.

Nothing is really notable except for two things. The Bravo team spawn (which was always our team) has two interesting features. 1), it had a desk on the second floor, where, if you poked out from one side while in cover, you could see everyone and shoot everyone, but the geometry of the desk blocked your head view; you could still be shot, but only if they knew where to shoot, and the porch which had a number of cracks in the little fence in front of it, that you could crouch behind, and have full view of everything, yet since there was no bullet penetration, they had only the tiniest sliver through which to shoot you.

We'd go on gamefaqs, get groups of kids to join us, and then shoot them in the face with our SV-98's, and M40's and just collect rage and hate messages. Occasionally people would demand that'd we switch teams so they could have the glitched spots, but since your dude always poked out of cover the exact same way, it was entirely to easy to line up a shot, and pop them through the desk which generally caused an immediate ragequit. There were other glitched spots on other maps, but again, since the entire cover system was actually a system and not a dude hiding behind a wall, people popped out from cover the same way, every time. Which made up lining up shots (which you could do from in cover, more or less, you always would come out aiming at the center of the screen but your dude wasn't 'aimed' there yet so you had to wait a second or be wildly inaccurate.)

I wish I still had some of those messages from back then though. We didn't do any actual like serious nerd clan matches, but we all had the same clan tag, and the demands for clan matches and other bullshit was hilarious. I remember one exchange going like this:

:argh: MAN I'M GONNA REPORT YOU AND THEY'RE GONNA DELETE YOU'RE loving CLAN (bear in mind there was no in-game/server-side clan bollocks, you just set a clan tag in front of your name)/
Me: Who, the magical internet police?
:argh: YEAH! THEY'LL DELETE YOUR poo poo loving CHEATING, MAN I'M REPORTING YOU.

Caban the Grey
Nov 5, 2007
Not really a true griefing thing, but it was used to fund griefing for a time.

During the 2nd phase of the UO beta you could make an absolute killing by placing player created containers in NPC shops. Items sold in those shops plus some rares would spawn in these chests every time the server did a hard save(around every 15 minutes).

The ability to make a hundred thousand gold in a few hours or just generate unlimited amounts of l33t plate armor, viking swords, reagents and 7th/8th circle scrolls was OP.

------------------------

In reference to the title of the thread... Rainz, the member of the Ravens of Fate that pulled off the British thing was a pretty serious griefer. The supposed lifetime ban enforced was largely about Garriot getting some revenge for humiliation, but he did have a track record that made most beta players hostile enough that nobody was outraged.

He'd spent a day or two leading up to the end of beta exploiting some invisibility bug with a mechanism I'm still not sure of. I'd heard it involved disconnecting while under invisibility to exploit the save system, similar to the original dupe, but that was just a rumor.

Anyways, it let you literally be invisible... totally able to attack, but only vulnerable to area of effect spells. And only a small handful of folks could cast any of these spells. A steady group of 20-30 folks chased him from the Ironwood Inn/Vesper Beach to Trinsic and back.

Also... they did this in an attempt to frame my former guild.
http://www.uoguide.com/BNN:_Invisible_Men_Kill_at_the_Orc_Fort_Near_Vesper

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Heres a WoW one, but its a good one. It took place on Firetree.

Back during the Wrath launch event, AKA Super Zombie Fun Time, you could get infected with an undead plague. Now, many people did the basic greifing of the time, killing quest NPCs, slaughtering low level areas, causing mass plague panic in major cities etc.

Not I. I came up with something FAR more sinister. I had my eyes on... The Isle of Quel'Danas. It was the big money farming area. It had your allotted 20 dailies (or was it 15 then?) set up in a rather nice and easy path. But the catch, the quests had to be done in order, in small groups or 2 or 3 at a time and all had to be finished to progress to the next set.

I began to poke at the island and see where i could get to before the death timer popped and made you a zombie, which would make all nearby NPCs hostile. The guards on the island would 1shot you. I zombified some of the guards with little issue, caused small zombie uprising to pop up around the island but it was always stopped pretty quickly by the player base and the 1shotting guards. Very ineffective to keep trying those guys so i thought of something even better!

At this point, we had an RP alliance guild of pallies who took note of me screwing things up with the plague. They designated a few players to pretty much follow me around when they found me and try to cleanse me before i could cause issues, or just flat out kill me if i was out of a neutral area (i was a belf paladin)

The coastline of Nagas and Murlocs was my new target. this was the 3rd or 4th quest you had to do in order to progress through your dailies, free some murlocs and kill some naga. Heres where it gets good. The nagas were level 69-72, the murlocs 55-60. The murlocs spawned in groups of up to 8 or so, and both the Murlocs and Naga would walk and patrol along the beach. These groups were extremely close together at all times and went along the ENTIRE coast!

I got a few friends together with the idea of chaining the plague to the coast. It took us a little while, figuring out positions + length of plague debuff and avoiding the would-be hero guild of paladins. After a couple hours of stringing the plague, getting caught by the pallies, and eventually sneaking by... I hit gold. I let the plague kill me, spawned as a zombie, and began wreaking havoc on the back end of the naga and murloc line. I would hit each thing once and move as long as i could.

By the time people realized what had happened, the zombies were moving as a rather huge group along the coast, making everything in there path a new zombie. The entire coastline went under in about 5 minutes. Were talking hundreds upon hundreds of zombies shambling around the beach adding to their numbers quicker than anyone could cut them down. Players were able to usually kill a few, but would then get overwhelmed and outright killed by the shear number of mobs on them, or succumb to the plague and die anyway.

This happened on the 2nd day of event. 2 and a half more weeks to go before Wrath hit. And heres what makes this a great grief. No one could quest there for over a week. It brought the dailies to a halt. the 4 largest guilds on the server (2 alliance and 2 horde) worked together (planning it out on the forums for about a day), the horde taking the bottom, and the alliance taking the top, almost 300 people working together to clean up my mess. Working together until the zombies were dead and i charged in and killed an alliance mage, causing mass havoc on alliance side and swift retribution to the horde closest to them. Chaos everywhere, with the horde eventually standing victorious, and me not getting killed once.

God i miss the old paladin bubble.

quick edit: Horde and Alliance both kept tight watch on that coastline from then on out. The raiding guilds usually had atleast a few people around the area making sure the great zombie invasion never happened again.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 29, 2012

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

grimcreaper posted:

I really didn't expect to read such a good story after hearing you say it was a WoW story, but drat I'm glad I stuck with it. That's amazing.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Thanks for reading it, it was fun putting it down for others to read. My friends and I still get a kick out of it. Sadly, its the only griefing I have done intentionally. Reading these stories almost makes me want to go out and do some more, but I never think of the "right" thing to do at the moment.

Generally i hate griefing and griefers, but as the OP put it "...sometimes it is just too hilarious not to do"

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

Thanks for reading it, it was fun putting it down for others to read. My friends and I still get a kick out of it. Sadly, its the only griefing I have done intentionally. Reading these stories almost makes me want to go out and do some more, but I never think of the "right" thing to do at the moment.

Generally i hate griefing and griefers, but as the OP put it "...sometimes it is just too hilarious not to do"

That's the problem I have.

Aside from LoL griefing, which, as people have stated, is far too easy.

There was recently a new character released in League of Legends named Darius. His ultimate ability is capable of taking out large chunks of HP... sometimes as much as over a thousand, with no way of reducing the damage. In addition, if he kills someone with this ability, he instantly refreshes its use, meaning he can use it against another enemy. The general consensus is that it's fairly overpowered and he's the current go-to character for pubstomping.

An easy way to farm tears is to go to the forums and locate a thread complaining about him. Tell the OP he's wrong. That's all you need to do, really. Even easier to do in-game.

You can counter-troll people who pick this character by picking a character that's designed to do well against him, killing him, and then saying "dunno what's the deal with darius being op, I just killed him no problem". People get angry when their OP pubstomp champion becomes anything less than a perfect wrecking ball.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

In a CS:S server I was playing in once, there was a speed hacker, but I noticed the speed hack took him through the same path every time, no variation. So I stayed back a couple times to learn the path and timing, and started hanging back to head shot him when he ran through our spawn every single round. Eventually he started raging over his mic, which was still semi rare on PCs back then since this wasn't very long after launch. He had a pretty deep voice, but eventually in the middle of a tirade at me... "YOU MOTHER*crack*fucker". He quit the server then and there while the only other guy with a mic was just laughing his rear end off. In the end it was mainly him griefing himself, but I like to think I helped trigger it.

Killing hackers in video games is the best feeling. A while back, me and a few friends were pubstomping on a TF2 Valve Server and in came a crithacking, speedhacking, aimbotting, namechanging, the whole works, sniper.

He wasn't very good, so three of us got dominations on him.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

CraigK posted:

Killing hackers in video games is the best feeling. A while back, me and a few friends were pubstomping on a TF2 Valve Server and in came a crithacking, speedhacking, aimbotting, namechanging, the whole works, sniper.

Yeah, I ran into a speedhacking Heavy once, and it was utterly hilarious how often he got sniped. Too many people don't realize that hax don't make you good at the game.

I also ran into someone speedhacking in L4D2 versus, but that sure didn't stop special infected from catching him while he was too far ahead for anyone else to even have a chance of saving him before he got incapacitated. (Once he was down, all the other SIs ganged up on him, and he promptly ragequit.)

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

SpookyLizard posted:

It was broken back in Modern Warfare II between really bad design decisions, bad net code, and a few exploits. You could be a good fifty feet away from somebody, and lunge forward and more or less teleport straight into their spine, immediately killing them. They didn't actually teleport, but if you weren't hosting the game you wouldn't be able to kill them unless you got really lucky. It was so absurd and rage inducing
Though the netcode was faulty in allowing the client to decide whether the player was "in range", that problem had a lot more to do with the means by which a host was chosen. It also didn't help that they covered up the shortcomings of their system with a very coarse grained ping meter, which would only indicate that things were less than ideal when the game was clearly unplayable.

At my parents I would almost always be chosen to host, I'm guessing the game picked me based on the low latency of the cable connection (most people have ADSL in australia). It was a wise choice as long as the data being transmitted stayed at the level it did in the pre-game lobby, ingame however anything more than the minimum game size of 8 players would hit the (very low) upload rate cap and bring the game to a laggy pause-fest for everyone but me. Did I succumb to the countless pleas to quit the game so someone else would host? Hell no! All the easier to get kills and unlock weapons when your opponents can't move!

I don't know if they made it better in MW3 but I remember the frustrating experience of leaving and re-queing constantly with a friend with who had a fiber connection who would only rarely be chosen to host and allow everyone to enjoy <50ms pings rather than the >200ms pings we could expect otherwise.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

CraigK posted:

Back when I played GunZ rather religiously, it was fairly obvious when someone was aimbotting because most matches let you spectate people and watching a person's crosshair never leave a fast moving target is a pretty big hint. However, GunZ's netcode was amazingly lovely and a moving target would have moved out of the path of whatever bullets being flung his way by the time the shot was registered by the server and sent over to the target's game.

So one guy in a duel match (basically a 1v1 where the rest of the people spectate while waiting in a queue) won a couple of aimbot victories before I was placed against him. Match starts, I get as close as possible and start circling him while stabbing him with a dagger. Due to lag, this guy's aimbot could only focus on where I was about 70ms ago, so every single shot hit nothing but air, and eventually he was overwhelmed by my piddly dagger stabs and died dealing almost no damage, and I call him out on his aimbot. Dude gives me a "gently caress you" and then quits immediately.

Not really a grief, but it's funny to watch hackers fail spectacularly when someone finds a way to deal with it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Coolguye posted:

The guy who attacked us yelled out "WHY AREN'T U HELPING!!!!!"

His guildmate simply said "u got ur boat key on u"

This is the worst reimagining of Blade Runner I've seen.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

grimcreaper posted:

I haven't played WoW in years, they actually got rid of the Paladin bubble?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Robzor McFabulous posted:

I haven't played WoW in years, they actually got rid of the Paladin bubble?

You can still bubble, but they made it so you can no longer bubble hearth.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
That zombie thing was pretty hilarious. I ran across two high level players infecting some out of the way quest hub and keeping it completely locked down along with some poor newbie. I was on my top of the line Paladin and in a fairly good mood so I decided to help out. I killed the two guys and cured all the diseased NPCs and their victim. That made them mad. I actually had something better to do but after I saw them blowing up, calling a no life loser because I had two pieces of tier 6 (top raiding gear at the time) then doing a complete 180 and calling me a complete noob for only having two pieces (you figure that one out) I decided to stay around and cure them every time they tried to infect that outpost again. From that day forward I cured everybody I could and the rage was always pretty hilarious. After all this was a serious thing with nothing to gain and nothing at stake. It was just an easy way to grief for uncreative people and these people were really easy to piss off. Just like all the other assholes who thought ganking low level players was the pinnacle of hilarity. Always nice to take them out too while passing through.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

mcvey posted:

Reading the comments section on this is griefing me, PC fanboys out the wazzoo.

Also the way this guy plays is really irritating, jump crouching all the time for no reason, even to guys with their backs to him. Jump crouching does nothing in COD anyway.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
One more UO story, though this one isn't mine, it's from my buddy Soulmata.

Back when UO was new, and 56k was everywhere, sometimes your shard was determined almost purely by your latency. This was the case for soul one time when he was forced to join the Great Lakes shard after moving houses. With little better to do on a new shard, he spent weeks grinding up his Inscription, which was an extremely valuable skill because it let you scribe spells to spellbooks. His character was named MyLoafOfBread.

He made a good friend on the shard who eventually suggested that he join a guild called 'the Empire of Light'. They were an anti-PK roleplaying guild known for being extremely self-righteous and having a lot of money. Like, a LOT of money.

Let me be clear on something here: As much as I've told PKing stories, soulmata makes my murdering zeal look tame. This is a dude who would kill a mark, then butcher him on the spot, cook up the dude's body parts, and eat them about 5 feet away from where the stain that used to be his body was. This guy is NOT a carebear. But, again, with nothing better to do on this shard, he interviewed with the GM.

The GM, as you might expect from a guild like this, was a complete dick. He basically spent most of the interview bragging and posturing, but eventually said he'd love to have soul as member, but "We just can't have a member named MyLoafOfBread. It's just not RP enough."

Well, that was enough to push this guy from 'dick' to 'target' for soul. Formulating a plan then and there to dismantle the entire guild and torment this GM, he agreed to make a new character and named him the handle that he still mostly uses today: Soul Harvester.

So he joined their faggy guild and worked his way up the ranks, becoming a Grandmaster inscriptionist pretty quickly. This gave him a lot of access to some of the guild's most powerful characters, so after he was accepted into the GM's 'inner circle', he started spreading propaganda and forming a shadow guild right under the GM's nose.

Let's be clear on what the 'inner circle' means. Soul had access to almost all of the guild's stuff - the guildhouses, the bankrolls, the secret keeps filled with loot. He estimated they were worth about 50 million gold - roughly 3 years worth of loot. He was going to be through about this.

He whittled away guild members 1 by 1 until he had shadow support of just under half the guild. They plotted and schemed for 2 months, and even had their own website and guildhouse in game. Then, about 6 months after joining the guild, Soul made his move.

Every Friday night, the entire Empire of Light guild would trounce through some low-level dungeon, just dominating everything and praising themselves at how awesome they were at killing low-level monsters. The fateful night, they were gonna do Dungeon Deceit, which had one particular room with only two exits, both of which were narrow corridors. Soul had two scouts and 4 marked teleportation runes in the room. When the raiding team of about 20 Empire of Light characters popped in and started shouting PRAISE BE TO THE LIGHT, Soul's scouts cast Stonewall to seal the room shut. Soul activated the runes and started gating in all of the traitors, who changed their Guildmaster allegiance to Soul as they portaled in. This was enough to evict the old guildmaster and install Soul in his place, which the game kindly informed the old GM of as one of Soul's lieutenants was sticking a poisoned dagger into the old GM's back and Soul was summoning his first demon.

The top 15 loyalists in the Empire of Light died in as many seconds. They slunk away, battered and confused and trying to figure out what was going on. 30 minutes later, they realized the awful truth. This wasn't over. Soul and his traitors were looting every vault, keep, guildhouse, and safe deposit zone dry.

They scrambled in defense of their poo poo and intense street-fighting broke out as half of Soul's traitors tried to run off with the loot and the other half tried to hold off the loyalists. When the dust settled, Soul and his traitors had stolen 49 million in loot.

You would think this would be the end of the story. 3 years of loot stolen, plenty of blood spilled, it has all the makings of a perfect story, right?

You, my friends, do not know Soul. He wanted that last million, and he had a final paragraph he was DYING to write.

He ordered his new guild to go into hiding. They basically disbanded their guild, kept in touch over the website, and split up the loot, making each traitor fabulously wealthy. They didn't taunt the old GM or any of his people, they simply disappeared. Soul, meanwhile, had another character in the Empire of Light that the old GM didn't know about. He plays nice again, once MORE earning the GM's trust, and about 2 months later the GM spills the entire betrayal story to Soul's second character, cursing and raging all the while. The day after, the GM gave Soul a copy of the key to the very last guild house they had. It was a small, one-room house with only basic materials in it anymore, albeit a fair number of basic materials.

As soon as the old GM logged off, Soul contacted a few of his traitor buddies, unlocked the door, and let them strip the house down to the bare loving floorboards. You know how my murderer crew left furniture? Yeah. Soul didn't. Everything and I do mean EVERYTHING was stolen.

Then, in the center of the house, Soul placed a book with a single couplet before locking the door behind him and leaving with his traitors. It caused the GM to quit UO the next day.

The couplet?

We are alive and you are dead
So is complete the revenge of MyLoafOfBread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Coolguye posted:

We are alive and you are dead
So is complete the revenge of MyLoafOfBread.

Holy poo poo, thank you for this wonderful story to start off my week.

• Locked thread