Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Mix
Jan 21, 2005

He's under a lot of stress alright?

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

So how's emulation on the new iPad? What emulators can it run and how well?

Try out Snes9x EX. Besides running the games perfectly it includes Wiimote support, state saves, and in-depth video rendering options. Plus it's free because the Snes9x emulator is on a non-commercial license.

Don't pay for an inferior SNES emulator!

Also check out more from Robert Broglia. He has created a near perfect emulation platform that overshadows all others in Cydia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Dr. Mix posted:

Try out Snes9x EX. Besides running the games perfectly it includes Wiimote support, state saves, and in-depth video rendering options. Plus it's free because the Snes9x emulator is on a non-commercial license.

Also check out more from Robert Broglia. He has created a near perfect emulation platform that overshadows all others in Cydia.
Awesome, thanks dude.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Dr. Mix posted:

I've bought his stuff on iOS and Android. Unfortunately, the Android stuff isn't as amazing.

I guess he designs everything for phones, because if you play it on an Android tablet (or in any configuration where your status bar may be at the bottom of the screen), you can't hit some buttons because they are behind the status bar.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This SNES9X EX is pretty goddamn amazing.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Dr. Mix posted:

Have you actually gotten it to work on the new ipad? I got it to run but every rom I try fails to load.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

granpa yum posted:

Have you actually gotten it to work on the new ipad? I got it to run but every rom I try fails to load.

I did. iPad 3 here. Worked right out the gate. Just wish I could find Super Punch Out!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Robert Broglia is currently finishing up on a GBA.emu emulator too.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Does Snes9x EX play NES roms too or would I have to get a separate emulator?

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

pseudonordic posted:

This is correct. When you jailbreak your phone, you exploit the currently running instance of iOS and use that exploit to place data and apps on your phone. If you restore through iTunes, you'll effectively install a new instance of iOS with a clean slate.
Well that used to be the case, but now the jailbreak process is:

update>erase all contents and settings>jailbreak>restore from backup.

So now restoring doesn't wipe the jailbreak, you need to erase all contents and settings instead.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Feenix posted:

I did. iPad 3 here. Worked right out the gate. Just wish I could find Super Punch Out!

I'm gonna restore mine and try again

Dr. Mix
Jan 21, 2005

He's under a lot of stress alright?

granpa yum posted:

Try opening the roms as zip files. I couldn't play any .smc files but .zip works. You probably don't need to restore.

I can't wait for GBA.emu!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Upmarket Mango posted:

Does Snes9x EX play NES roms too or would I have to get a separate emulator?

Separate. Get NES.emu.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Separate. Get NES.emu.

Okie dokie. Thanks.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Dr. Mix posted:

Try opening the roms as zip files. I couldn't play any .smc files but .zip works. You probably don't need to restore.

I can't wait for GBA.emu!

That didn't work until I restored and tried again but it does work now. I restored and my smc stuff wasn't working but zips work, thanks! ScummVM works too now, I haven't tried psx4all yet but I'm hoping it does too. This is awesome.

edit: still can't get psx4all to work, oh well

granpa yum fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 28, 2012

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

m0isty posted:

Well that used to be the case, but now the jailbreak process is:

update>erase all contents and settings>jailbreak>restore from backup.

So now restoring doesn't wipe the jailbreak, you need to erase all contents and settings instead.
The Restore button in iTunes is the one that wipes your phone and dumps you into a clean, updated or refreshed OS. Not talking about restoring from a backup in this case. Just restoring a backup won't unjailbreak, but kicking it back to stock with a full OS restore should.

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"

Feenix posted:

It's in the app store all ready It's called Infinity Blade!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Coincidentally I'm hoping to make a boxing game with controls similar to infinity blade.

I spent the whole weekend getting my dev environment set up with a hackintosh and no developer license. These instructions for developing on a jailbroken iDevice are still valid for the latest versions of xcode and ios sdk, you just have to adjust the paths according to one of the most recent comments on the article.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Anyone know if MyWi is working in 5.1.1 yet?

A British Nerd
Jan 18, 2012

Master of the Smurfs
Chuck Fan
First time jailbreaker here. I read through the OP and can't seem to figure out an answer.
If I jailbreak will and keep my saved games? If you do should I decide to restore from my backup will my saves have also backed up? I have a few games I'm midway through that I really don't want to lose my progress on.
Thanks

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

astr0man posted:

I haven't had a chance to test it yet but someone entered "no" for it on the goony jailbreak compatibility matrix spreadsheet.

TetherMe works fine though.

A British Nerd posted:

First time jailbreaker here. I read through the OP and can't seem to figure out an answer.
If I jailbreak will and keep my saved games? If you do should I decide to restore from my backup will my saves have also backed up? I have a few games I'm midway through that I really don't want to lose my progress on.
Thanks
If you backup before jailbreaking, then restore the backup after, it will restore your save games. Did for me on 4s and pad3.

randyest fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 28, 2012

A British Nerd
Jan 18, 2012

Master of the Smurfs
Chuck Fan

randyest posted:

If you backup before jailbreaking, then restore the backup after, it will restore your save games. Did for me on 4s and pad3.

Thanks. I'll give it a go in a minute. Any highly recommended applications besides what's in the OP.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

A British Nerd posted:

Thanks. I'll give it a go in a minute. Any highly recommended applications besides what's in the OP.
The ones I use (mostly; haven't updated in a while) are in that spreadsheet as are descriptions and recommendations from other goons.

A British Nerd
Jan 18, 2012

Master of the Smurfs
Chuck Fan

randyest posted:

The ones I use (mostly; haven't updated in a while) are in that spreadsheet as are descriptions and recommendations from other goons.

That spreadsheet's pretty great. I'll take a look when I get home. Lots of apps that add functionality but is there any goon preference for cool lock screen/home screen modifications.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

A British Nerd posted:

That spreadsheet's pretty great. I'll take a look when I get home. Lots of apps that add functionality but is there any goon preference for cool lock screen/home screen modifications.
You will find no consensus about theming and visual modifications among us. Everyone here has a very different opinion about what is cool, what is tacky, and if anything even trumps the Apple aesthetic.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Grr I got Cydia on my iPad 3 but when I erase everything to restore from iCloud it just hangs with the spinning wheel icon :(

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010

A British Nerd posted:

I don't usually use visual modifications, but Unfold is pretty neat. It changes the unlocking animation to a simple folding animation (so it looks like you're folding the lock screen like a piece of paper, revealing your home screen behind it). It's free so it doesn't hurt to try.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

wildlele posted:

Grr I got Cydia on my iPad 3 but when I erase everything to restore from iCloud it just hangs with the spinning wheel icon :(

It hangs when it tries to erase all content and settings on the device, right? I actually jailbroke twice on 5.1.1 due to new version of Absinthe and both times my phone also hanged during this suggested step. I ended up backing up AND updating/restoring to vanilla 5.1.1 on iTunes, then jailbreaking, then restoring from my backup, and it all worked fine - had to sync my Apps via iTunes after restoring since they still weren't on my phone, but once they synced all my data and saves were intact.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Thirst Mutilator posted:

It hangs when it tries to erase all content and settings on the device, right? I actually jailbroke twice on 5.1.1 due to new version of Absinthe and both times my phone also hanged during this suggested step. I ended up backing up AND updating/restoring to vanilla 5.1.1 on iTunes, then jailbreaking, then restoring from my backup, and it all worked fine - had to sync my Apps via iTunes after restoring since they still weren't on my phone, but once they synced all my data and saves were intact.

I'll give that a try thanks!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

astr0man posted:

It hasn't been updated for 5.1.1 yet.

From the author:

quote:

we are aware of the issue and it will be fixed soon

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

A British Nerd posted:

I use lockinfo, which is on the spreadsheet along with several other lock/home screen mods (barrel, springtomize, etc.) If you mean themes and all that poo poo no I think most people goof around with a few and then realize they look like poo poo after the novelty factor wears off.

wildlele posted:

Happened to me too so I did a DFU restore, restored from iCloud backup, turned off iclous backups, backed up to itunes, jailbroke, restored backup from itunes.

Daughter
Jul 23, 2007

Anyone know of an app that will allow me to move my unlock slider to the right? I always pickup and hold my ipad in landscape and that mod would be nice. I cant be bothered to move my hand 2.5 inches.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

Daughter posted:

Anyone know of an app that will allow me to move my unlock slider to the right? I always pickup and hold my ipad in landscape and that mod would be nice. I cant be bothered to move my hand 2.5 inches.

You could install NoLockScreen, then you don't even have to unlock it.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

A British Nerd posted:

Typography time for lockinfo. Use lockinfo to get rid of clock and slide to unlock and there you go.

Works best on a dark background.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!
Is there an app to make the new iPad display resolution like an iPad2? Getting sick of choppy framerates on more demanding games due to the high resolution. Just a long shot, I doubt it is even possible, but just thought I'd ask. :ohdear:

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Manac0r posted:

Is there an app to make the new iPad display resolution like an iPad2? Getting sick of choppy framerates on more demanding games due to the high resolution. Just a long shot, I doubt it is even possible, but just thought I'd ask. :ohdear:

Sell it and buy an iPad 2?

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Manac0r posted:

Yeah, this isn't a huge deal for me but it'd be nice to see some games give you a speed vs quality slider, speed running in iPad 2 mode, quality running in retina mode.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
A new build of MyWi is now available on Cydia. It fixes the issues with iOS 5.1.1.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Is there a way to sync a PS3 controller?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Blimpkin posted:

Is there a way to sync a PS3 controller?

Even if there was I can't imagine anything would work with one due to the lack of an appropriate API in currently existing software. I suppose JB programs like emulators could incorporate something like this, and I hope someone gets around to making it work, but at present I doubt you could meaningfully control anything with one at the moment. Maybe button taps, but the d-pad and sticks would probably be unmappable to any sort of directional inputs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You can already pair and use the Wiimote for some games using BTStack so it shouldn't be that much of a leap to get a PS3 controller working if they ever get around it.

• Locked thread