Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Do you know what the best fight is? UFC 7, Marco Ruas vs Paul Varelans.

Ruas has a 40kg/90lbs disadvantage. He holds the guy against the cage for five minutes doing nothing but kneeing the back of Varelan's legs, and then he spends about eight minutes doing nothing but thai kicks to the front leg. The big guy follows him around the cage, slowing down, slowing down, slowing down, until the front leg is so damaged that he topples like a loving tree and then it's over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

swagger like us posted:

We did the flinching drill where you punch eachother in the forehead, and that helped. But I have this weird tendency to cover up after I throw a right straight. Like, I throw a jab, right straight, then immediately cover up, but not in a good way, as in I turn away. I sparred against some weirdo taekwondo guy (he had some stupid stance that even I got throw when I threw enough jabs in his face he turned back to traditional boxing) but even then I would cover up way too much.

Any tips?

I'm a fencer, not an MAist, but is this a mechanical problem? Like, does this happen at the bag too?

If this is specific to your right straight, just thought a butt-ton of right straights, and make each one perfect, even if that means doing them at reduced speed at first. Like, punch, recover, pause, repeat (and yes, the pause is key to prevent yourself from getting too excited). This'll help you build back some muscle memory that you've lost.

You said that you're covering up too much, which, in my mind, means your exposing some part of yourself elsewhere. I'd say some directed sparring would be a decent idea. Basically, you partner up with someone who has some decent quick jabs. The idea is, you'll throw some combinations and, at the end, if you're covering badly, he'll punish you with a few quick jabs to what shouldn't be exposed.

And, lastly, spend some more time just being in your stance and getting used to the feeling again. When you're drilling, don't be lazy and always return. That should be the comfortable spot for everything to come from and go back to.

VVV Also, this below me is the most important tip to consider. VVV

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 28, 2012

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

swagger like us posted:

Can we talk about some basic kickboxing/boxing stuff? I'm coming up on over a year and a half off of training, and just starting kickboxing, and with all luck, BJJ with my surgeon's approval this tuesday.

Went to class and found my form for the most part was still alright. Combos were fine. However, I have some serious newbie problems again. First is, flinching, and covering up.

We did the flinching drill where you punch eachother in the forehead, and that helped. But I have this weird tendency to cover up after I throw a right straight. Like, I throw a jab, right straight, then immediately cover up, but not in a good way, as in I turn away. I sparred against some weirdo taekwondo guy (he had some stupid stance that even I got throw when I threw enough jabs in his face he turned back to traditional boxing) but even then I would cover up way too much.

Any tips?

It's hard to give that kind of advice without watching you..can't you ask a coach or your partner during drills to point out the bad tendencies?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

swagger like us posted:

But I have this weird tendency to cover up after I throw a right straight. Like, I throw a jab, right straight, then immediately cover up, but not in a good way, as in I turn away.

Any tips?

Throw a left hook after the right straight. You can't both #1 throw a hook #2 cover up at the same time. If you do #1 then #2 cannot exist! Problem solved!

Then throw right uppercut and another left hook, and if you are still standing without a fist in your face - wait, nevermind, ignore the fist - throw more left hook + uppercut combinations until your enemy goes away or you fall asleep. I'm not sure if this was a really good tip...

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

swagger like us posted:

Can we talk about some basic kickboxing/boxing stuff? I'm coming up on over a year and a half off of training, and just starting kickboxing, and with all luck, BJJ with my surgeon's approval this tuesday.

Any tips?

Shadow box in the mirror, preferably with vertical and horizontal tape.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

swagger like us posted:

We did the flinching drill where you punch eachother in the forehead, and that helped. But I have this weird tendency to cover up after I throw a right straight. Like, I throw a jab, right straight, then immediately cover up, but not in a good way, as in I turn away.

How deep are your punches? Are they landing solidly into his guard or head, or just barely tapping his guard or hitting thin air? If it's the latter, maybe you're more concerned about not getting hit than landing your shots. If you do that, you'll never have an effective offense. You should be so confident in your strikes that you don't care if they try to counter, because what you land will be enough to control the exchange. Obviously setting up to avoid their punches is important, but you can't be so eager to avoid getting clipped that you shut down your offense.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Right, so shadow boxing with heavy weights probably isn't a good idea. But using light weight like 2lbs for a warm up or endurance seems to be alright?

Taking some leave this summer. Any recommendations on Muay Thai gyms in South Orange County?

Also, I'm transferring to Oceanside in September. Saw quite a bit of gyms. Any recommendations? Bjj and Muay Thai is a plus.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Why do you want to use weight to shadow box with? You're new learn good technique first.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

kimbo305 posted:

How deep are your punches? Are they landing solidly into his guard or head, or just barely tapping his guard or hitting thin air? If it's the latter, maybe you're more concerned about not getting hit than landing your shots. If you do that, you'll never have an effective offense. You should be so confident in your strikes that you don't care if they try to counter, because what you land will be enough to control the exchange. Obviously setting up to avoid their punches is important, but you can't be so eager to avoid getting clipped that you shut down your offense.

My punches are super shallow, and I think you're right on the money with my problem is Im still super hesitant about getting clipped, and flinchy because its been so long.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I've seen it mentioned before but anyone use Namman Muay?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005ESOLE4/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1338248936&sr=8-2

Lectim
Jan 2, 2010
Is anyone here aware of any HEMA clubs in the Los Angeles area?
I found one, the Academy of Arms, but they seem to be very much into the idea of "knightly duties" whereas I just want to supplement my throwing of dudes with swordfighting. Or is that just how HEMA clubs are in general and I'm just out of luck?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Christoff posted:

Right, so shadow boxing with heavy weights probably isn't a good idea. But using light weight like 2lbs for a warm up or endurance seems to be alright?

Why on earth would you shadowbox with weights? It's pushing the weight down, and you want to be pushing forward. If you want a weight workout get on your back and push some weights into the air.

HandOverFist
Nov 20, 2005
waiting for the money to roll in
I've always wanted to study martial arts, so I'm searching for a school. I've always wanted to learn MT but I would love to learn BJJ too.

This place ( http://mmaatl.com/ )at their Cumming facility is an awesome location since it's on the way home from work. But Their pricing seems expensive, $100 initiation fee + a one year contract or pay an extra $25 dollars per class, @ $160 a month for all their classes. http://mmaatl.com/cumming-membership-rates/

Should I suck it up and go out of my way to go to another place?

HandOverFist fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 29, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Too much punching talk lately. Let's not forget that grappling owns bones

SA changed some code and now linking youtube videos is way tougher than it was a week ago. Is there a way to not have to manually edit all my youtube links to not default to "video=" since that breaks the link? I get tired of typing in the address by hand.

Example for this link:
I copy this:
code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch=vHzfSzU8QIbY
and if I just paste into notepad the link works as per normal. But when I paste into SA I get this

code:
[video type="youtube"]HzfSzU8QIbY[/video]
Which just gives me a raw link to youtube. And it is really loving annoying

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 29, 2012

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

NovemberMike posted:

Why on earth would you shadowbox with weights? It's pushing the weight down, and you want to be pushing forward. If you want a weight workout get on your back and push some weights into the air.

If you go really really slowly, it's awesome for building arm endurance and muscle density.

Also, gently caress grappling talk. Every time I click this thread it's 3 pages of grappling with 1 page of striking

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Lectim posted:

Is anyone here aware of any HEMA clubs in the Los Angeles area?
I found one, the Academy of Arms, but they seem to be very much into the idea of "knightly duties" whereas I just want to supplement my throwing of dudes with swordfighting. Or is that just how HEMA clubs are in general and I'm just out of luck?

No, it's not how they are in general. First impresson from looking over the AoA site, they appear to be a bunch of stuck-up cunts. I've also never heard of the instructor, but then I don't know more than a handful of American HEMA people, so instruction *might* be on the level. A bit weird that they don't let you spar until you've got a year under your belt, though. You could always ask them what their deal is, if you just want to do the training and none of the reenactment stuff.

Some searching yielded DIE SCHLACHTSCHULE, which has to be the most badass name for a MA gym ever, and The Academy of European Fighting Arts. I don't know any of these people, and there's probably more, but both of these seem to be fairly chill HEMA places in LA.

Also, my MT gym does weighted shadowboxing for a warmup/strength training once a week. It sucks to do D:

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

So it turns out Roger Gracie runs a BJJ academy literally just down the road from me, which is pretty exciting.

I'd like to go along, but although I'm 6'3 and 185 I'm not super confident in my overall strength/fitness at the moment.

I started weightlifting a few weeks ago. Should I try to work on that some more before signing up, or just dive in? Can I reasonably lift 3 times a week and do BJJ in between? I don't get much DOMS from lifting anymore.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 29, 2012

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Jack the Lad posted:

So it turns out Roger Gracie runs a BJJ academy literally just down the road from me, which is pretty exciting.

I'd like to go along, but I'm not super confident in my overall strength/fitness at the moment.

I started weightlifting a few weeks ago. Should I try to work on that some more before signing up, or just dive in? Can I reasonably lift 3 times a week and do BJJ in between? I don't get much DOMS from lifting anymore.

What kind of weightlifting do you do? Some kind of Starting Strength style routine?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

DekeThornton posted:

What kind of weightlifting do you do? Some kind of Starting Strength style routine?

Right - this one for the time being.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
In that case recovery might be an issue, if you continue to increase weights in a timely fashion. Starting Strength and similar routines are pretty damned taxing on the body and grappling is pretty exhausting as well. It all depends on how much you eat and sleep combined with genetics, but if you decide to combine BJJ with lifting three times a week I'd start out slow, maybe one BJJ session a week, and see how it affects your recovery.

Personally lift twice a week and do two, somtimes three, sessions of MMA/SW a week and that feels like a fairly good workload for me. Strengths gains are a lot slower that way though.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 29, 2012

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
To answer your other question, there's no reason to wait before starting BJJ, and many people miss out by using this as an excuse to procrastinate.

You're going to get your rear end kicked hard for a long time (assuming you don't have a lot of prior wrestling experience anyhow). Being stronger might slightly shorten that time but won't eliminate it, so there isn't much point. Besides, strength can compensate for poor technique, and you sometimes find that especially among beginners, little guys have better technique than big guys because they've been forced to develop it. (Big strong guys usually take some time to learn the skill of not trying to power through everything.) So there's actually an argument for starting BJJ before starting weightlifting, although I think the ideal is to start both ASAP.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Which just gives me a raw link to youtube. And it is really loving annoying

The [video] tag should be giving you an embedded youtube, that's why the post box has javascript now to transform your link.

There's a setting in your user control panel that controls whether to embed the video or provide a raw link. Go to user control panel > edit options > "Show video embedded in posts with the [video] tag?", you probably have it turned off.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Jack the Lad posted:

I'd like to go along, but although I'm 6'3 and 185 I'm not super confident in my overall strength/fitness at the moment.

six three 185 is pretty good shape if you ask me. You'll prob be one of the fitter/stronger white belts.

I started bjj at 6 ft 2 140 and I'm only 165 now. I rarely get out muscled by people my weight, even if they're much stronger in the weight room. You'll never be ready before you just get into it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Jack the Lad posted:

Just go. Ideally you want to go to Jitsu 2-3x a week. Your body will HTFU and you'll get used to it.

Have fun!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Guilty posted:

Also, gently caress grappling talk. Every time I click this thread it's 3 pages of grappling with 1 page of striking

Let's just do both. There was an era here it was judo talk for ages, but it doesn't mean there aren't people ready to talk standup if there's a topic.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xguard86 posted:

six three 185 is pretty good shape if you ask me. You'll prob be one of the fitter/stronger white belts.

I started bjj at 6 ft 2 140 and I'm only 165 now. I rarely get out muscled by people my weight, even if they're much stronger in the weight room. You'll never be ready before you just get into it.

he's probably a skinnyfat goon and I'm basing this on him being unsure whether you can combine weightlifting with another physical activity (the answer is yes)

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Striking Chat:

Did my 4th sparring session last night in MT. Fun as hell, the first 2 rounds the guys took it easy on me and it wasn't too intense. The last round was with a guy who is really good ( or at least has sparred a fuckton more than me ), I was getting spinning kicks, 5-6 punch combos, spinning backfists you name it. Longest 2 minutes of my life.

The upshot is that I'm getting pretty used to getting punched and kicked. I still find myself doing one of 2 things though against someone like that:

1) TURTLE, 0 offense, just weather the storm

2) BRAWL, 0 defense, flailing fists basically while taking punch after kick after punch

I'm getting much tighter in my defense I think, but I do find a severely delayed reaction in countering. It's like it takes my brain 2 seconds to realize what just happened and to try and do what I learned. I'm sure that'll be quicker over time though once my brain is taken out of the equation ( either due to getting hit too many times or muscle memory, maybe both! ).

I've sort of learned to go in for a clinch if I'm feeling overwhelmed, and it works well some of the time, but I don't want that to be my only go-to, you know? It feels...lazy.

The other guys were watching and pointed out I really don't use my jab reach to my advantage ( long arms ), or really use my jab individually much at all. I think I always try to do combos, ALWAYS, so if I jab it's maybe 1 or 2 before I try a 1-2-3-kick or something and then I stop. I assume I should just be constantly jabbing basically ( what I think was being done to me ) and then punishing if he tries to get in close with a straight or a hook.

I know that if I get punched, I punch back, punish him for hurting me. But what if I just can't find an opening because it's like a whirlwind in my face? Anything other than weather the storm until I perceive an opening?

I think in general I'm simply just THINKING too much, rather than just DOING. I assume this is also something that gets easier with time?

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Don't worry about countering better guys. It'll be easier as you become more comfortable with sparring in general and I personally like to practice my counters until they become second nature against guys my skill level or lower before trying them out on the really scary guys.

It's perfectly normal to turtle up at your stage, I'd mostly practice not staying stationary while covering yourself. I've never understood beginners that start brawling, but maybe that's because my coaches typically put an end to that nonsense rather quickly by liverpunching. Either stop that tendency alltogether or practice on keeping your technique crisp while you're exchanging shots instead of spazzing out and hitting nothing.

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

TollTheHounds posted:

But what if I just can't find an opening because it's like a whirlwind in my face? Anything other than weather the storm until I perceive an opening?

If you circle out of the way, they can't keep throwing. If they're real aggressive and chase you down, that's a great opportunity for a hard counter.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Welp, managed to chip a tooth at boxing by hitting myself in the face with a weight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

TollTheHounds posted:

I think in general I'm simply just THINKING too much, rather than just DOING. I assume this is also something that gets easier with time?

Yeah. If you find yourself always expressing your intentions or plans in English (or whatever your normal thinking language may be), you'll be too slow. You have to think in a very kinesthetic way, where your mind just sees things as structures and relative positions. So that jabbing becomes visualizing your fist on his face, or an inside leg kick is seeing your shin rebounding off his thigh.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

Welp, managed to chip a tooth at boxing by hitting myself in the face with a weight.

Please tell me you were shadow boxing with weights in your hands.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

origami posted:

Please tell me you were shadow boxing with weights in your hands.

Shoulda gotten those rubberized walking dumbells and/or worn your mouthguard.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Oh man, today was pretty awesome.

I was practicing with the instructor some combination strikes. He tried to switch things around constantly, and I found it really interesting how the more complicated things got, my mind wasn't able to process the commands, but my body DID!

Sure, not as awesome as winning a fight, but I thought this was pretty neat.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh man, today was pretty awesome.

I was practicing with the instructor some combination strikes. He tried to switch things around constantly, and I found it really interesting how the more complicated things got, my mind wasn't able to process the commands, but my body DID!

Sure, not as awesome as winning a fight, but I thought this was pretty neat.

Don't kid yourself, those kinds of moments are great, especially if this is, what, your second month of training, if I recall? Hell, I still get a kick out of those kinds of things and I've been practicing for coming onto three years now.

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

BirdOfPlay posted:

Don't kid yourself, those kinds of moments are great, especially if this is, what, your second month of training, if I recall? Hell, I still get a kick out of those kinds of things and I've been practicing for coming onto three years now.

Hell if I manage to pull off one close to perfect thing in a round I'm happy (a good slip/weave or a body kick/punch where you hear the person wince is great).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BirdOfPlay posted:

Yup, second month, and it's going pretty well.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
You might get over the turtling thing by having one or two go-to moves memorized in case things go bad.
Every time i feel overwhelmed i basically either throw a hard one-two, a hard liver kick or just clinch.

Actually i clinch a whole lot lately because i've gotten way better at wrestling.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

TollTheHounds posted:

Strikechat

It just takes practice and all will come - to just about anyone - over time. Then, one day, you start to develop your own style, utilizing your strenghts and learning to cope with your weaknesses. How much time of course depends on a ton of things like who you are, to your trainers. [You can insert other foregone conclusions here.]

If you are getting used to being punched and kicked at and strikes landing then you're off to a great start! Many, many people wince, cover in terror, "move on rails" (it's when beginner A throws one strike, usually too hard too, and B runs back is if on a set of rails, only to run forward to throw a single wild kick/punch in revenge while A now runs back on the same rails - rince and repeat for 2 minutes) and such for months instead of starting to get a hang of it in less than a dozen sessions. Do you notice moving "on rails" ever?

Practice easy stuff like countering with a jab and defending your face and liver first. Drills where you learn to launch an attack as soon as you see your enemy even twitch are super-good IMO. Simple combinations are good. Then try to do this basic stuff while sparring, like keeping a tight package while doing simple attacks, returning your strikes fast etc. As you get more comfortable, start trusting your defense, it frees you to be inspired and attack or counter-attack because you are not afraid. Then one day you will have one of those "gently caress YOU!" -moments, quit thinking and will assault someone far better by than you and make him retreat because you are ready to leave everything to the table and lost all your fear. That is when you suddenly got a lot better. (I don't mean newbie-brawling now, I mean one of those glowing moments when you put everything you have learned on the moment and march forward accepting your faith.)

Now as for thinking, it slows you down. But before you learn to DO without THINKING you need to drill or spar quite a bit to build this both into your muscle memory and to rewire your brain, so don't worry if you can't do that right off the bat. The sponge inside our head needs to build new paths by repetition to use them effectively without active planning.

I personally had to practice for years to actually go autopilot in any good ways (then again, I'm not at all gifted in anything that has to do with athletics, quite the opposite). If you think "I will always sidestep and protect my left side from hard rights" you will start to look for the right hard punch/or kick, and when it comes you will think "now I must perform the maneuver I thought about" at which point it's too late. And when it doesn't come, you are primed to react to a hard right, not whatever might actually come your way. I hope I'm making some sense? But at first, this is the stuff you think and this is why you feel slow.

Moreover this is why the Mexican guy who coaches out our place concentrates 75% on making people react (he mostly teaches people who have trained less than a year) - but not in a certain way necessarily, because it slows you down - but by having people do endless drills of 1 free strike vs 1 free counter or 3 vs 3 for example. The 25% left is technique. He wants people to re-wire their brains to react first and concentrate on refining the technique later. It's very slow at first but eventually will put better guys out there in a year or so. People who mostly learn FORM for the first year might have much more refined techniques, but when they spar against someone who has instead learned to REACT for a year they get owned by this newly rewired brain which instinctively tosses techniques, maybe less refined, but much faster, at them.

This wall of text was provided to you by my colleagues. I'm having flu symptons and they sent me home and since I can't train, I'll write about it :(

edit:

kimbo305 posted:

Someone at the gym told me that you have to have a "gently caress it" moment to step up from drilling to knowing how to handle sparring.

Where you're so frustrated with losing a round or getting dominated that you abandon your reservations and just go out and fight. You move forward, fire combos, get aggressive, and seek only to score. It's not how you always want to fight, but it's a good way to see what happens when you attack and mean to hit.

Now this is just a terrific quote. I don't know if this is how it works for most people, but this is how it has worked for me. Furthermore, it has worked like this on several occasions, each short "gently caress it" moment resembling a revelation where something has clicked and taken me forward a long step.

These steps could be described form goint to actually relaxed light sparring to harder sparring much later, to eventually sparring harder against someone who will obviously destroy me but "gently caress it" I'll do it anyway, just because.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Jack the Lad posted:

I work 12 hour shifts that usually turn into 13-14 hour by the time I've gotten back to my car and driven home, so I don't usually do BJJ on work nights. Instead I do doubles on my days off and don'y do back to back weight days. It works out to about 2-3 days of lifting per week and 3-4 BJJ days, plus yoga or cardio on my days off. It took me some time to work up to that though, I'd already been doing BJJ for 2 years when I started doing this, and lifting semi-regularly (with a terrible curl bro program) for longer than that.

About a year after I started I got smashed I actually took a month off BJJ and just did starting strength + some cardio and that definitely helped my BJJ, but only because I was hella weak to start with and I'd already done some BJJ to help me know where to apply my strength. Starting out super weak seems to have helped me in the long run, I still get comments on how relaxed and smoothly I roll.

As for your build, don't worry about it. Roger himself is pretty gangly (and insanely strong). I've seen plenty of skinny guys come in and put on pounds of solid muscle just doing BJJ. Just go, worry about the finer points of competing and conditioning later.

• Locked thread