Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Zool posted:

FormulaSAE

I had a buddy who did FSAE at Michigan this year. They did good for their goals, top 25% as I recall.

They're also running a single cylinder, low budget, and almost completely built by the students (he was complaining about lack of guidance some times as he was designing his first suspension) so that's decent.

Do you know anything about that car aside from the pic? What team is was or how it did? That car looks pretty wicked.

My buddy also saw how "easy" it was to make a basic FSAE car so he has plans of making his own to take to some tracks in the future. I'm all for it as I'd love to drive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
The university I went to would sell their old FSAE cars, I don't think they were very expensive, and especially not considering the amount of work that went into them.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Bondematt posted:

Can't ride at a walking pace? Need help making those awful turns?

Don't worry, we've got you covered!
How would a Harley rider stop? You can't use the rear brake because your foot is on that monstrosity. I guess these make the lay 'er down lever safe to use!

ReggieCelsius
Feb 1, 2007

snortsly
I managed to trace that crazy boner tail style back to 2002. The end of a legend, the beginning of boner tails

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Somewhere, someone on a streetfighter forum is super jealous of some guy who's bike got hit by a car.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I want a sportbike with a backrest!

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Triumph Owner.jpg

Take a gander at his teeth
I tried to take lots of pictures of interesting bikes, But sometimes they turned out to be Harleys, There was this cool Car / Motorcycle hybrid thing going on and a T-rex also.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Cafe races are awsome brah!

Before GODAMMED UGLY AS poo poo gently caress

After HELLZ YEAH NOW WE ARE TALKING

It can be your for a measly 2900!!!! :barf:

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Here's some more from the thing.

The T-rex, Really cool since I've never seen one in person before.

I believe this is a local person in NOVA.

:911:

Cool old guy on a BMW.

:australia:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Local bike shop managed to snag this for a brief display. Britten V1000. There's only ten in the world. :3:

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Odette posted:

Local bike shop managed to snag this for a brief display. Britten V1000. There's only ten in the world. :3:

Your Avatar matches this post perfectly.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I'm sorry, but that thing is ugly as poo poo.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

ElMaligno posted:

Cafe races are awsome brah!

Before GODAMMED UGLY AS poo poo gently caress

After HELLZ YEAH NOW WE ARE TALKING

It can be your for a measly 2900!!!! :barf:

I'm not sure what I'm missing, it looks cool in the second photo :confused:

It looks fine in the first one as well. I like them both really

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Schlieren posted:

I'm not sure what I'm missing, it looks cool in the second photo :confused:

It looks fine in the first one as well. I like them both really

The carbon fiber/leather seat clashes horribly with the rest of the rat rodded bike. Maybe if he painted the tank black it would look good, but 2900 is still too much it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

rat rodded

You call THAT a rat rod? There are a bunch of little nitpicky details about that bike (the end of the chain guard, the seat/tank gap, the carbon fiber, the squished boots on the forks, the lack of taillight and fenders) that bug me, but a dingy metal tank does not a rat rod make, dude.

This is a rat bike:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 28, 2012

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Sagebrush posted:

You call THAT a rat rod?

Its just words the guy posted on the ad :v:

quote:

Triumph Bobber Chopper Harley Rat Rod

That is clearly a Triumph Bobber Chopper Harley Rat Rod.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"1972 Honda $300"

:psyduck:

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

ElMaligno posted:

The carbon fiber/leather seat clashes horribly with the rest of the rat rodded bike. Maybe if he painted the tank black it would look good, but 2900 is still too much it.

That's strange because those are exactly the sort of details that made me like the bike instead of something done "just so"; I have no idea how to price those sorts of rides though, they all seem inexpensive to me, so I'll take your word for it

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvHg63wGQfc the more of these videos they release the more I hate that Wes Siler guy.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

HNasty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvHg63wGQfc the more of these videos they release the more I hate that Wes Siler guy.

Do these guys not know how to pick up a heavy bike?
For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sP3cqKbOEs

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

HNasty posted:

It actually makes me sad, cause they've got some good production quality there, they seem to have something interesting to say on all those bikes, the footage was cool, but all those guys, especially Wes, are so goddamn annoying. With a different cast it could be a great little bike review series.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Man I thought you guys would be interested in what some nutjob in a shed could come up with. I guess I thought wrong. :(

The Britten V1000 was developed and built by one guy, basically. It went on to smash a whole bunch of records in 1993*!

*providing it didn't break down first.

vvvvvv: I haven't seen it in the last 30 pages. I know I should've gone back one more page ... !

Odette fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 29, 2012

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It is a very special bike with a very special history, but it is featured in this thread every 30 pages or so.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
On of the photography guys on the island is doing something new during TT this year, 'Living Pictures', otherwise known as gif's.

full gallery of what he's done so far http://amadeusphotography.com/2012/05/isle-of-man-tt-2012-living-pictures/

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It actually makes me sad, cause they've got some good production quality there, they seem to have something interesting to say on all those bikes, the footage was cool, but all those guys, especially Wes, are so goddamn annoying. With a different cast it could be a great little bike review series.

You find Wes to be the annoying one? He comes off more personable on film then he does in his writing but I want to punch Grant Ray in the face, at least the first few shows. Although this latest one Wes was getting on my nerves more than Grant. But really I hope they pull it together because its the best we got for now. I am getting tired of seeing them drink every episode.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Sagebrush posted:

This is a rat bike:

Rat bikes make me way more happy than they should. :sigh: I guess it's my nerd fixation with all things post-apocalyptic.

Apparently a Norton Commando.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Boru posted:

Rat bikes make me way more happy than they should. :sigh: I guess it's my nerd fixation with all things post-apocalyptic.

Apparently a Norton Commando.

I think it's kind of cool to rat things out that aren't rare. I love UJMs but they're a dime a dozen, cafe, bob, rat 'em out all you want. But a commando at least in the states is hard to come by, I wouldn't touch it.

As far as cafe, bob, and rat projects go, what a lot of people don't understand is a lot of times it's easier and a lot cheaper to do one of those conversions than it is to even halfway restore it.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

front wing flexing posted:

As far as cafe, bob, and rat projects go, what a lot of people don't understand is a lot of times it's easier and a lot cheaper to do one of those conversions than it is to even halfway restore it.
It kind of makes sense: you're only really using half of the parts and not buying any originals or reproductions. That's why I'm going to streetfight the '85 ZX-600a I'm working on- the fairing is super rough so I may as well claim that the ratty style is intentional! :v:

I saw that Commando though and I was :smith:, probably because (like you said) Commandos are pretty rare in the US.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

You call THAT a rat rod? There are a bunch of little nitpicky details about that bike (the end of the chain guard, the seat/tank gap, the carbon fiber, the squished boots on the forks, the lack of taillight and fenders) that bug me, but a dingy metal tank does not a rat rod make, dude.

This is a rat bike:

That's pretty bold of him to park it in the grass. I can't imagine that thing is easy to pick up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Purpose built rat bikes are the dumbest things

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Olde Weird Tip posted:

As much as I enjoy the rat style, I tend to agree with you a good 5080% of the time. :psyduck:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Olde Weird Tip posted:

What falls under this definition for you? I agree that taking a bike in good or average condition and immediately pouring bleach on all the steel and taking a ball-peen to the tank and welding anchor chains all over it is retarded. But does it count as a "purpose-built" rat bike if you start with something in terrible condition, get it running again, don't bother cleaning it up, and then make an effort to use only old rusty junkyard parts when you make repairs to keep the rat-bike effect? Cause that doesn't seem so objectionable to me.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

What falls under this definition for you? I agree that taking a bike in good or average condition and immediately pouring bleach on all the steel and taking a ball-peen to the tank and welding anchor chains all over it is retarded. But does it count as a "purpose-built" rat bike if you start with something in terrible condition, get it running again, don't bother cleaning it up, and then make an effort to use only old rusty junkyard parts when you make repairs to keep the rat-bike effect? Cause that doesn't seem so objectionable to me.
The latter build seems perfectly acceptable to me. I mean the "build it as I find it mentality" really screams "rat" to me, as one is just keeping the machine running with whatever they find laying around/ can make. It's the DIY attitude that applies to the bikes that actually run off of old, rusted crap. Once you start nailing down skulls, chains, nets, and what have you (see the Goldwing picture above) than you're just in cosmetic territory. And by that definition doesn't that make the rat bike just a garage queen? :ohdear:

Sir.Tucker
Sep 17, 2006

For the Workforce!

ReggieCelsius posted:

while we are on small v8 engines..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9zt3SF_Flc

starts running at 3.45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3VVI6Auvys

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

If you take a lovely bike and ride it around in lovely form, thats fine. Plenty of people do it, I wouldnt start some genre of bikes over it, but you can call it a rat bike if you want.

Taking a bike (in any condition), and purposefully making it shittier in an attempt to cosplay some weird mad max fantasy you have is about the douchiest thing you can do.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Why is it douchey for people to do what they enjoy? Who cares if they like making terrible looking bikes, it's not like they're causing any harm to anyone.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

I would HATE to have that case: it'd be completely clogged with fur & dust within 5 minutes.

vorhese
Feb 16, 2002

brains for breakfast brains for brunch
Riding baggers with stereos louder than a jetplane and tearing up and down a residential street is THE douchiest thing you can do on a bike. It beats stunting, rat bikes, hipsters on cafe bikes, HOG riders, and anything else.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

One of those guys went by my house and the song he was blasting was that Bon Joni 'ON A STEEL HORSE I RIDE' song. I just assume he had that one song on infinite repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

vorhese posted:

Riding baggers with stereos louder than a jetplane and tearing up and down a residential street is THE douchiest thing you can do on a bike. It beats stunting, rat bikes, hipsters on cafe bikes, HOG riders, and anything else.

I'm under the assumption that your bike must be super boring if you need a stereo on it

hayden. posted:

Why is it douchey for people to do what they enjoy? Who cares if they like making terrible looking bikes, it's not like they're causing any harm to anyone.

Sometimes people like to do douchey things? Why is it impossible that a thing someone likes may also be douchey?