Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

quote:

There's no question Jaguar, which just got $2.1 billion of the $5.6 billion Ford banked from the recent sale of Hertz, has been a money pit. Dearborn paid way too much for the company back in 1989--more than $2 billion--in its haste to beat GM to the prize. And when Ford execs finally got to do more than just kick the tires on their new ride, they found to their horror that Jaguar was far from a fully functioning auto company.

Ford thought it had bought a rival for Mercedes and BMW. Instead it found it had to spend a fortune on new machinery and new processes to simply get Jaguar to the point where it could actually build a car with any sort of consistency. Veteran manufacturing exec Bill Hayden, parachuted in by Ford to sort out the mess, once memorably reckoned Jaguar's factories to be the worst he'd ever seen, apart from a Russian tractor factory.

How bad? Not long after the takeover, Jaguar engineers sent the best-built XJ they could find in the factory to Dearborn for a quality audit. It had 10 times the faults of a Taurus. When Ford facelifted the XJS coupe in the early 1990s, it replaced the complex multipiece rear-quarter assembly on the car with a single pressing: Even if the original rear quarters were assembled within tolerance, one side of the car could be as much as a quarter inch longer than the other.

Worse than a 1990s Taurus. Man, that's bad. Still, you could argue the Chinese have inherited that since SAIC bought the steaming leftovers of British Leyland aka MG Rover. Though unfortunately SAIC and Geely are not related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

Worse than a 1990s Taurus. Man, that's bad. Still, you could argue the Chinese have inherited that since SAIC bought the steaming leftovers of British Leyland aka MG Rover. Though unfortunately SAIC and Geely are not related.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TX4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Pony

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Naky posted:

I think that's probably for the best. I might be remembering wrong, but wasn't the Demon going to be manufactured by Geely in a new partnership with the Chinese in an effort to save on costs or something?

The Geely was either going to be the Hornet or another unseen rebaged Geely. There was talk it would never been sold in the US regardless.

Kind of like what they did in Mexico with Hyundai..

http://www.ooyyo.com/used-cars/dodge-atos/mexico

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

Yup. The only thing potentially less reliable than a Fiat-Chrysler-Mazda would be a Fiat-Chrysler-Mazda-Geely made in China.

Manufactured exclusively on Fridays!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hot Cops posted:

Manufactured exclusively on Fridays!

At a Chrysler plant!

edit: Without drug testing!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 25, 2012

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
BMW Zagato Coupe:

They only made one with no plans of putting it into production because they hate money.

ynotony fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 25, 2012

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

ynotony posted:

BMW Zagato Coupe:

I REALLY hope this is the direction they take the new Z4

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
BMAston Z370.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think if I saw one of those in person, I'd be nursing a semi.

EDIT: By which I mean "that one specifically" because there is only one.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
I hope this means the next Z4 won't be a folding-hardtop-only model without an M version.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ynotony posted:

BMW Zagato Coupe:

They only made one with no plans of putting it into production because they hate money.

Probably quite expensive. Any creases or corners in sheet metal make the sheet far more expensive to produce.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

ynotony posted:

It is a great looking car, but it would look terrible as a convertible. There is no good place to remove the top that will maintain the flow of the car, it would just end up looking like a rock-hard cock beset by an ascending scrotum.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Probably quite expensive. Any creases or corners in sheet metal make the sheet far more expensive to produce.

That car is going to be like $70k if they make it, I think they can make it work, with hydroforming and all that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is true, if you have artisans hand-craft each panel.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

ynotony posted:

BMW Zagato Coupe:

Can somebody photoshop the top off of this? I think it could look pretty drat good

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cakefool posted:

This is true, if you have artisans hand-craft each panel.

Tooling for metal panels is fabulously expensive, especially for more complex designs, so artisans might actually be cheaper unless they have some decent volume going. Just tooling can account for like 40-50% of the total cost of a low to mid volume car.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 27, 2012

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Guru Yaekob posted:

I build these at the plant, have not driven one however. The leather on these cars is REALLY nice feeling but wayyyyy to soft I would worry about it ripping or wearing out fast. The interior on these cars is much nicer than anything Ford or Chevy have. I'm 6' 3" and i just hardly fit comfortably inside one, the seats don't go back very far. The front end and back end look really nice the side of the car looks really bland though, thats the only thing I don't like about it. If you have any other questions I can try to answer them.

I've been reading the reviews as they come out and really appreciate your insight. Can't really think of anything to ask though...

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I saw some weird angle shots of this a while back but I just saw these new photos of the custom 458 Italia that Pininfarina did for Eric Clapton. The whole new-retro thing that all the American pony cars have been doing? It works even better on a 512bb.

I think they should have gone for more retro inspired wheels to make it fit better though. I like the 458 okay but it just feels too over-designed. Somehow the custom one-off designed version feels more Ferrari to me.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

davebo posted:

I saw some weird angle shots of this a while back but I just saw these new photos of the custom 458 Italia that Pininfarina did for Eric Clapton. The whole new-retro thing that all the American pony cars have been doing? It works even better on a 512bb.

I think they should have gone for more retro inspired wheels to make it fit better though. I like the 458 okay but it just feels too over-designed. Somehow the custom one-off designed version feels more Ferrari to me.

I wish the matte grey didn't make me think Aztek.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cream_Filling posted:

Tooling for metal panels is fabulously expensive, especially for more complex designs, so artisans might actually be cheaper unless they have some decent volume going. Just tooling can account for like 40-50% of the total cost of a low to mid volume car.

I know, I work in a press for a major automotive manufacturer. The difference between style lines & compound curves is gently caress all in trends of tooling costs. The expense comes with cams & flanging.

The bonus for a boutique manufacturer like ferrari is that tooling for composite panels is a lot cheaper.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

davebo posted:

It also has a V12. So boss.
He needs those F40 inspired wheels I posted a while back on it though.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Steve McScene posted:

These should be on every car. What an incredibly good looking wheel. I am entirely convinced these would turn my Mazda6 into a track-ready race car.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Steve McScene posted:

The article on autoblog said that Clapton had wanted the V12, "but all signs indicate that the 458 Italia's 4.5-liter is still in place" I don't know what that means exactly. Were they actually able to fit one in okay?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cakefool posted:

I know, I work in a press for a major automotive manufacturer. The difference between style lines & compound curves is gently caress all in trends of tooling costs. The expense comes with cams & flanging.

The bonus for a boutique manufacturer like ferrari is that tooling for composite panels is a lot cheaper.

Ah, my bad then. That car done in carbon fiber would be very cool, too, then. Sort of a new M coupe done in the style of the 1 series M or even M1 as a super-low production balls-out performance thing.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

davebo posted:

The article on autoblog said that Clapton had wanted the V12, "but all signs indicate that the 458 Italia's 4.5-liter is still in place" I don't know what that means exactly. Were they actually able to fit one in okay?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ue30EB6io0

E: I can't tell what an engine is from sound but I assume someone here can :)

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 27, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Chrysler product news.

quote:

Marchionne: No Compass, 1 minivan
Chrysler crossover will replace Town & Country

Marchionne: Cutting models, adding brands
Thought Leadership

In 2014, Chrysler Group will drop the Jeep Compass and replace the Chrysler Town & Country minivan with a crossover, Fiat-Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne has revealed.

The changes are part of a long effort by Marchionne to give each Chrysler Group brand a more distinct identity and eliminate product overlaps common in the DaimlerChrysler era.

Brand identity is crucial for Chrysler because over 90 percent of its dealerships now sell all four volume brands: Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram.

The Compass is similar to the Jeep Patriot, and the Town & Country shares many attributes with the Dodge Grand Caravan minivan. A smaller Chrysler-brand crossover will replace the Town & Country and may retain the name.

The Town & Country changes mean that Chrysler -- the creator of the traditional minivan -- will field just one minivan, the Grand Caravan. In 2009 the company said it planned only one traditional minivan, then seemed to hedge that statement. Marchionne reaffirmed the original plan.

Although Marchionne is pruning models, he has been adding brands, too. Since 2009 he has introduced three to North America: Ram, Fiat and SRT.

He revealed the product changes at a media event last week at Chrysler's Belvidere (Ill.) Assembly Plant and during a recent interview with Automobile magazine.

He said:

-- The Compass and Patriot will continue to be built alongside the new Dodge Dart in Belvidere through August 2014. After that, Marchionne told plant employees, "There are a number of candidates to take the place of the Compass." He was not specific, and did not discuss the Patriot's future.

-- Chrysler is developing an SRT version of the Dart, Marchionne said. "The only thing we're fighting over now is to determine how big an engine we stick in it."

Racing enthusiasts requested a high-performance version of the four-cylinder Dart before the Dart was revealed in January. Chrysler hasn't had a four-cylinder vehicle in its SRT lineup since the Dodge Caliber SRT4 was dropped in 2009.

-- The Grand Caravan will be Chrysler's only minivan when the platform it shares with the upscale Town & Country is replaced in 2014. The Chrysler-branded minivan will be replaced with an upscale crossover, Marchionne told Automobile magazine. Some media reports have suggested that the crossover could resemble the Mercedes R class.

-- Chrysler continues to work on alternative powertrains, including hybrids and those powered by compressed natural gas, to meet tougher fuel economy standards. Those vehicles will be available by 2017, Marchionne said, though the automaker introduced a Ram pickup powered by compressed natural gas this year.

-- Chrysler will introduce an electric version of the Fiat 500 subcompact for North America later this year and "will lose money on every car we make."

Marchionne said the electric Fiat 500 is being done only to comply with requirements in California and other states for electrified vehicles and to familiarize Chrysler engineers with electric powertrains.

The CEO's comments show how Chrysler continues to drop rebadged vehicles that once littered its lineup. Last December it killed the Nitro, which was Dodge's version of the Jeep Liberty.

The Compass and Patriot are identical vehicles except for styling and share a platform with the now-departed Caliber.

While Chrysler drops nameplates, it still seeks economies of scale by using single platforms to underpin several vehicles in the Chrysler and Fiat families, cutting development costs.

For example, the CUSW platform that underpins the new Dart also will be used for the replacement of the Liberty, which is expected to be revealed in January.

The CUSW platform eventually will underpin about eight small and mid-sized cars and crossovers for Chrysler and Fiat.

Maybe a 300hp V6 for the Dart SRT? :dance:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dart SRT will be a high output turbo 4.

I do like the brand rationalization strategy. I think Fiat-Chrysler is already proving to be a little more intelligent than DC ever was.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So, several weeks ago I ordered a nicely-specced '12 Ford Fiesta. Turns out, they couldn't put the order in because production on 2012 models was done. My 2013 Fiesta will be built in the next couple of weeks, and it's a bit cheaper!

Problem is, I think the '13 is getting a facelift of some sort. Also, the interior of the 2013 Fiesta ST concept is considerably different (like the new Taurus with its high-tech looking buttons) and I'm wondering if the production 2013 is getting the updated interior with (maybe) the new Ford touchscreen system.

Anybody know what changes the 2013 has?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Shame if they make the Liberty into just another car based CUV, though. It was never as good off road as the Cherokee, sure, but it's still a capable machine (with real 4WD!)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Wondered if there were any car-news websites that weren't filled to the brim with imbeciles in the comments? Like I tried reading TTAC, saw the word marxist mentioned in article by a writer for the site, closed the window. I mean the article was about EV charge stations, and I was interested in that, then it quickly was not at all about EV charge stations.

I wonder if they've released a concept for the SRT-4 yet? I hope it will be a looker. I'm not happy with the awkward leg room in the back of the focus, and the ST has to have 4 doors.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 29, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CornHolio posted:

So, several weeks ago I ordered a nicely-specced '12 Ford Fiesta. Turns out, they couldn't put the order in because production on 2012 models was done. My 2013 Fiesta will be built in the next couple of weeks, and it's a bit cheaper!

Problem is, I think the '13 is getting a facelift of some sort. Also, the interior of the 2013 Fiesta ST concept is considerably different (like the new Taurus with its high-tech looking buttons) and I'm wondering if the production 2013 is getting the updated interior with (maybe) the new Ford touchscreen system.

Anybody know what changes the 2013 has?
Even if they include MyFord Touch as an option, it will certainly be an option. You might want to talk to your dealer to see exactly what they ordered and maybe if you can re-option it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Wondered if there were any car-news websites that weren't filled to the brim with imbeciles in the comments?

No.

Jalopnik can be less terrible but there's always a whole lot of whining about too heavy not diesel sport rwd wagon abloo abloo.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No.

Jalopnik can be less terrible but there's always a whole lot of whining about too heavy not diesel sport rwd wagon abloo abloo.

On the bright side, for whatever reason the proportion of :argh:Obama:argh: commentators on jalopnik is lower over the past year. Or maybe I just stopped noticing them.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Dart SRT will be a high output turbo 4.

I do like the brand rationalization strategy. I think Fiat-Chrysler is already proving to be a little more intelligent than DC ever was.

Ma Benz taking over Chrysler was one of the worst things that ever happened to it. They took a profitable company and loving destroyed it.

Being a Mopar guy I was leery of Fiat merging/owning Chrysler, but I think they actually "get it". They have not made one move that has led me to believe they intend to hurt the brand. In fact, they've improved it way more than I thought possible. Ram becoming its own brand, along with SRT becoming one, are seriously two amazing moves.

Fiat is so cool.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Product rationalization is so key and is one thing that I always hated about DC. HEY LETS TAKE A CAR AND MAKE A VERSION OF IT FOR ALL BRANDS :downs: it was like Old GM at its worst.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nonsense posted:

Wondered if there were any car-news websites that weren't filled to the brim with imbeciles in the comments? Like I tried reading TTAC, saw the word marxist mentioned in article by a writer for the site, closed the window. I mean the article was about EV charge stations, and I was interested in that, then it quickly was not at all about EV charge stations.

They're all terrible, and unfortunately TTAC and Jalopnik are some of the least-terrible with regards to comment quality out there.

That's why I love AI so much.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No.

Jalopnik probably has the highest concentration of enthusiasts, but the signal to noise ratio is still pretty awful. Their comments section is like getting slapped across the face, whereas something like autoblog is a full on kick to the groin.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This sounds like a dream compared to Autoblog where every car is a piece of poo poo if it isn't putting more power to the wheels than a Rav 4

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

From what I've seen, leftlanenews' articles are devoid of cheap politics and tribalistic MY BRAND chest thumping. There are some idiotic posters, which are an unfortunate given with high traffic blogs, but there are also regulars who call out their bullshit. It's currently the only autoblog that doesn't make me roll my eyes every other page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Product rationalization is so key and is one thing that I always hated about DC. HEY LETS TAKE A CAR AND MAKE A VERSION OF IT FOR ALL BRANDS :downs: it was like Old GM at its worst.

As much as I hate Daimler for nearly killing Chrysler, They did this well before that whole nightmare started.

Did Plymouth, Chrysler AND Dodge all need a Minivan? Hell, for a brief Period they even made a Plymouth version of the Rampage.