Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

HeyEng posted:

poo poo man there are like 3 or 4 other really good photos encapsulated in this one great picture. This is where having a huge megapixel helps because you can just crop to the other ones. I'd really like to gently caress around with the RAW file.

Well this was with my 5dMkII and 24mm f/1.4 I took it from a moving train otherwise I would've done some stitched-pano action.

If you'd honestly like to take a look at the RAW shoot me a PM and I wouldn't mind sending it to you.

Cacator posted:

poo poo, I wish the weather was this nice when I went, especially when going up the Schilthorn, although the picture of the Jungfrau I took wouldn't be nearly as dramatic. (I'm pretty sure it's the Jungfrau).

Can you recommend a site to do so? I don't want to enable full size on flickr.

You could upload high-res on Flickr and then make them private and share the link.

Here are a few from the Schilthorn:

This one's looking down on Murren from the Schilthorn gondola.

Murren and that whole surrounding area is one of my favorite places I've ever been, so amazing. I really want to go back in the winter sometime.

If you ever make it back I highly recommend you check out the Via Ferrata they have there.

This is my dad on a fun part of the traverse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

MMD3 posted:

You could upload high-res on Flickr and then make them private and share the link.

Here are a few from the Schilthorn:

Well I guess flickr has increased the size you can view pictures from 1024 to 2048 so hopefully that should suffice :)

And I'm insanely jealous of that weather. When I went up the Schilthorn it was nothing but white, save for a 10 minute window when a small patch of sky opened up and you could see for miles (still plenty of clouds, though). It was enough to make the trip worth it, but still not as good as it could have been.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Jesus christ panoramas are a pain in the arse.
This is about 30,000 pixels wide and exceeded photoshops .psd save capacity lol. I think it came out alright for a first attempt!
There's a 10k pixel version on flickr.

A Massive Fricken Greek Panorama by AshBurrows, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Steve McScene posted:

Jesus christ panoramas are a pain in the arse.
This is about 30,000 pixels wide and exceeded photoshops .psd save capacity lol. I think it came out alright for a first attempt!
There's a 10k pixel version on flickr.

A Massive Fricken Greek Panorama by AshBurrows, on Flickr

Looks pretty good, the sky transition is a bit crazy but I don't think it is too bad. The one thing I noticed is the disappearing cables on the far right hand side.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Some from Rome:

Vestal Virgins by hookshot88, on Flickr

Rome by hookshot88, on Flickr

Castel Sant'Angelo by hookshot88, on Flickr

Pompeii by hookshot88, on Flickr

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Not really a landscape, but it's kinda nature like...
Partial Solar Eclipse. These two taken just now with my xt. I shot a bunch of film first basing exposure off some websites with a ton of bracketing before I took a few shots with my XT. I was getting good shots at 1/4000 f32 iso100, which is ~8 stops from what the couple of sites suggested. Luckily I bracketed and negative film likes overexposure, but I'm still kind of bummed that I didn't test it with digital first. As for framing, I stuck a piece of paper in the viewfinder; anytime the sun was in frame the paper lit up.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I need to go somewhere cooler looking.

these two are re-processes:

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

aliencowboy posted:

I need to go somewhere cooler looking.

these two are re-processes:

The bottom two are definitely stronger. I remember them from before, but I didn't want to search too hard to find out what you changed in the processing. Either way, they still look good. I think the lighting hurt you a bit on the topmost picture.

I have a few sort-of landscapes, in that they contain some sky and some ground.

DSC01195 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC01307 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC01364 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC01302 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Some shots from last weekend:

Sunset1 by capacity4action, on Flickr

DSC_7630 by capacity4action, on Flickr

Sunset6 by capacity4action, on Flickr

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

This is awesomeeee!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Took my GoPro out for a snapshot experiment, some of the results aren`t too bad. It`s difficult to frame shots without a viewfinder.

And this one I used my little waterproof point and shoot.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I finally shot a few landscapes on digital that I don't completely hate (still going back with medium format next week).

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

North Narrabeen by Aztatlan, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

I'll see your silky ocean and unviolated nature and raise you wind-agitated river and buildings...

DSC01431 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC01432 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC01435 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

LargeHadron posted:

I'll see your silky ocean and unviolated nature and raise you wind-agitated river and buildings...

DSC01431 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

That's a lovely texture on the water :allears:

Back to ocean (well the firth of forth sorta counts as sea, right?)

000024.jpg by pimvanoerle, on Flickr

000016.jpg by pimvanoerle, on Flickr

The rape is in bloom now, so much yellow everywhere!

000008.jpg by pimvanoerle, on Flickr

I was a bit anxious about the mystery roll of expired Kodak Gold 200 I found in a drawer, but the colours turned out pretty nice.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
So I've been shooting for almost a quarter of my life and have never ever done proper landscapes. Rectified that recently. Not overly happy with the results, they feel noisy and cluttered, without the sweeping epic nature of other landscapes. The last one is my favourite Be gentle.

Araluen (1 of 3) by TimFPictures, on Flickr

Araluen (2 of 3) by TimFPictures, on Flickr

Araluen (3 of 3) by TimFPictures, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

XTimmy posted:

So I've been shooting for almost a quarter of my life and have never ever done proper landscapes. Rectified that recently. Not overly happy with the results, they feel noisy and cluttered, without the sweeping epic nature of other landscapes. The last one is my favourite Be gentle.

I also like the last one the best. It has a clear subject, whereas with the others my eyes just kind of wander around the frame.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Its been a while since Ive posted in the dorkroom but since my trip to colorado a few weeks ago, I got reinspired. After taking this photo, I realize that I wish I had shot vertically because I didn't get as much sky as I was hoping to capture. Also, photoshops auto stitching tool is pretty impressive. We woke up at our camp site at the first photo, and we were at the second photo in about 3 hours.

Ouzel Lake, Colorado by derick.adame

Panorama 2 by derick.adame

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

pim01 posted:

The rape is in bloom now, so much yellow everywhere!

000008.jpg by pimvanoerle, on Flickr

I was a bit anxious about the mystery roll of expired Kodak Gold 200 I found in a drawer, but the colours turned out pretty nice.

Spot your scans :argh

XTimmy posted:

I don't care for the postprocessing done to these. There is a bit too much contrast in some of the tree trunks. White skies are pretty boring and should be avoided at all costs. Pay closer attention to your corners and edges the trees wandering in and out of the frame distract the eye. I think these scenes have potential good images buried in them, keep shooting until you get the hang of it.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

8th-samurai posted:

Spot your scans :argh

I don't care for the postprocessing done to these. There is a bit too much contrast in some of the tree trunks. White skies are pretty boring and should be avoided at all costs. Pay closer attention to your corners and edges the trees wandering in and out of the frame distract the eye. I think these scenes have potential good images buried in them, keep shooting until you get the hang of it.

Thanks for a fair critique, I'm a fan of high contrast in my other work so that's carrying over a bit here. I was very mad about the white skies, it was perfectly clear for a week (still is) and in the hour drive up it became totally overcast. gently caress you god, gently caress you.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

XTimmy posted:

Thanks for a fair critique, I'm a fan of high contrast in my other work so that's carrying over a bit here. I was very mad about the white skies, it was perfectly clear for a week (still is) and in the hour drive up it became totally overcast. gently caress you god, gently caress you.

I feel you man. I spend so much time waiting for interesting skies that my best friend recently asked me if I ever take any landscape photos, I threatened to beat him senseless with a giant pile of negatives.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I took a bunch of landscape shots from the train in Poland:

Poland by hookshot88, on Flickr

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Screwin' around in CO for a couple days.

There's a big fat marmot in the center. I'd never seen one of these before, they are funny!

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

Tree in a Field by ralph-brewer, on Flickr

Finally getting around to doing some non kids and pets pictures!

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

dowdy_pants posted:

Tree in a Field by ralph-brewer, on Flickr

Finally getting around to doing some non kids and pets pictures!

Are you able to bump up the exposure without losing the detail in the sky? I would try it if I were you.

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

LargeHadron posted:

Are you able to bump up the exposure without losing the detail in the sky? I would try it if I were you.

This is about as much as I can bump and still keep clouds...

tree-in-field2 by ralph-brewer, on Flickr

dowdy_pants fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 1, 2012

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

dowdy_pants posted:

This is about as much as I can bump and still keep clouds...

tree-in-field2 by ralph-brewer, on Flickr

Hmmm, the sky definitely looks better in the first one. I wonder if you can blend the two exposures. Or maybe I'm on crack and the first one is fine as it is.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

LargeHadron posted:

Hmmm, the sky definitely looks better in the first one. I wonder if you can blend the two exposures. Or maybe I'm on crack and the first one is fine as it is.

I bet you could do it with an adjustment brush or two in Lightroom.

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Love this one, great shot.

Nice stormy and moody morning today:

Mona Vale Tidal Pool by Aztatlan, on Flickr

The Swell by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Have these in B/W in my photostream as well. Not sure which I prefer.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Kujaroth posted:

Love this one, great shot.

Nice stormy and moody morning today:

Mona Vale Tidal Pool by Aztatlan, on Flickr

The Swell by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Have these in B/W in my photostream as well. Not sure which I prefer.

Love that sky

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You got the water to compliment the sky quite well too, that's pretty goddamn awesome.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Startrails-166 by spf3million, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Suomenlinna Island by hookshot88, on Flickr

Suomenlinna Island by hookshot88, on Flickr

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
Here are a few shots in and around Lake Tahoe. I don't feel like I did these shots much justice, but I'd just finished running 11 miles.

Reno Tahoe Odyssey Scenery 1 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Reno Tahoe Odyssey Scenery 3 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Reno Tahoe Odyssey Scenery 2 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

There was a House in a Field on the Side of a Cliff and the Waves Crashing Below were Just Said to be a Myth by AshBurrows, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Is this landscape or street photography?

imm028_29 by azathosk, on Flickr

imm030_N30 by azathosk, on Flickr

imm022_N22 by azathosk, on Flickr

imm021_N21 by azathosk, on Flickr

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

You got the water to compliment the sky quite well too, that's pretty goddamn awesome.

This one I think could be really great with a bit more PP. I like the shot but think it needs a little bit of work in PS/LR, personally.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Kujaroth posted:

This one I think could be really great with a bit more PP. I like the shot but think it needs a little bit of work in PS/LR, personally.

What should I do to it? I don't like how there seems to be a vignette, but like a negative vignette so the middle is too bright, how would I fix that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Steve McScene posted:

What should I do to it? I don't like how there seems to be a vignette, but like a negative vignette so the middle is too bright, how would I fix that?

Take a look at some curves work...hell, even just bumping the contrast might make a big difference.