Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Leperflesh posted:

Always wear eye protection, kids.

Ye old leather apron is awesome if your working with steel wire brushes in grinders on a regular basis- I've got one thats a few years old now and it looks like a god drat echidna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

thecobra posted:

I don't really see why you'd need one for aluminum and one for steel.

Here's two reasons:

Because if you go and grind aluminium with wheels that aren't made for it they tend to explode.
Aluminium flows under pressure, and it ends up smeared all over (embedded into) the surface of your abrasive. Then the heat from this aluminium rubbing on the workpiece causes the resin binding the wheel together to soften and weaken the wheel - which eventually fails.

Disks made for, and used on steel end up with small particles of iron in them, if you use them on aluminium, the iron can get embedded in the surface of the metal, and fucks up its resistance to corrosion.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here's another (albeit a pretty unlikely scenario):

Who can tell me what you call a mixture of powdered aluminum and powdered iron oxide?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Leperflesh posted:

Who can tell me what you call a mixture of powdered aluminum and powdered iron oxide?

Deflagration!

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?

Leperflesh posted:

I don't think that's actually even a scenario that requires consideration. Aluminum tends to oxidize when heated, it oxidizes faster the greater the surface area, a grinding wheel will both increase the surface area of the aluminum and oxidize it. Aluminum based thermite is a mixture of aluminum powder (non-oxide) and iron oxide- it won't work if both materials are oxides. Even if the Aluminum somehow did not get fully oxidized, but the iron did, the initial combustion temperature required for thermite is immense (start it with an arc welder, or burning magnesium; not with a lighter or a hot piece of ground metal).

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Iskariot posted:

Why not? It's slow rotation that's really dangerous. A grinder at 10 000 RPM will not take hold of a glove. It will cut it. Any glove is peanuts compared to steel. Even the axle won't catch a garment at that speed.

A slow rotation like a huge massive steel boring machine on the other hand. Very dangerous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ehJlL0Ydk

Gloves are dumb. I know its kids taking a shredded glove to it but yes, it can suck up a glove.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Linux Assassin posted:

I don't think that's actually even a scenario that requires consideration. Aluminum tends to oxidize when heated, it oxidizes faster the greater the surface area, a grinding wheel will both increase the surface area of the aluminum and oxidize it. Aluminum based thermite is a mixture of aluminum powder (non-oxide) and iron oxide- it won't work if both materials are oxides. Even if the Aluminum somehow did not get fully oxidized, but the iron did, the initial combustion temperature required for thermite is immense (start it with an arc welder, or burning magnesium; not with a lighter or a hot piece of ground metal).

You are mostly right, of course, although I have heard of starting up thermite using just bright sparks. Wikipedia claims it can be lit with a "regular flint spark lighter" as well as with a sparkler. One source of a flint spark is a gas welding torch igniter... and I happen to have one in the garage.

So the main thing is the unlikliness of producing the right amount and type of aluminum powder, as well as getting it into the right mix with iron oxide powder, which I agree is pretty unlikely indeed. Won't stop me from being a bit anal about sweeping up around the grinders though.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I just breathe in all the dust and clean my shop's air with my post shower nasal clearing.

It's as gross as it sounds.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Not an Anthem posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ehJlL0Ydk

Gloves are dumb. I know its kids taking a shredded glove to it but yes, it can suck up a glove.
That's hardly representative. It looks like a shredded cotton glove piece. It has little mass, a large surface and nothing holding it back against being gobbled up by the grinder. A more scientific test would be to attach a welding glove on the end of that stick and see what happens.

You insert stuff with more mass into grinders all the time as that's their primary task. They don't all get gobbled up for a variety of reasons, the primary ones being sheer weight and mass. Trying to cut or grind cotton would probably resemble the video. A welders glove will resemble more like your finger. If the glove catches, so would your finger.

But, as your example shows, don't be stupid with what gloves you wear.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
There's a reason OSHA requires the rest be adjusted to within 1/8" of the wheel and it's not ease of use. A grinder can suck up anything that comes close to fitting in between the wheel and guards.

The issue with gloves is twofold. One, the fabric or leather is thinner than any part of your hand and can get pulled into a narrower gap. Two, the tensile strength of most gloves is significantly higher than human skin, so a bump that would tear your skin would instead yank the whole glove in.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Harbor Freight question: Is there any reason why I should get this more expensive MIG/Flux welder instead of this one that is $100 cheaper?

oxbrain posted:

the tensile strength of most gloves is significantly higher than human skin, so a bump that would tear your skin would instead yank the whole glove in.
Must I pull out the degloved images?
(:nws:The answer is always yes:nms:)

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Fire Storm posted:

Harbor Freight question: Is there any reason why I should get this more expensive MIG/Flux welder instead of this one that is $100 cheaper?

Must I pull out the degloved images?
(:nws:The answer is always yes:nms:)

Wahahahaha nooo mmm chicken wings (gloves and grinders dont mix!)

I was going to link tests done with tablesaws and gloves but figured you'd poo-poo that as too low rpm, but yeah, whole gloves get sucked in and eventually stop the blade. After yknow, the whole glove is sucked through a zero clearance insert.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Not an Anthem posted:

Wahahahaha nooo mmm chicken wings (gloves and grinders dont mix!)

That injury is caused by a piece of jewlery getting caught in something, not a glove. The (mangled) ring in question is circled at the lower right.

Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety posted:

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/safety_haz/abrasive_wheels/safeuse2.html

- Wear gloves only where necessary.

Which contradicts "Don't wear gloves when using a bench grinder."

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
When I was in repair school doing our safety training, they showed us pictures of a guy who didn't wear glasses when using a steel wire brush. There was a 2 inch strand of steel wire in his eyeball.
I always ALWAYS wear my eye protection now.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
I fired up the old grill for the first time this year and found out that the pull out drawer under the grill was filled with water and of course sheets of rust. The inside of the grill isn't doing too much better. Does anyone have any experience with Krylon High Heat & Radiator and BBQ/Stove Paints or Rust-Oleum Bar-B-Que Black paints? Or does anyone have a better suggestion as to how I could protect the surface after cleaning the hell out of it?

I'd like to get at least a few more years out of it before I have to replace the main grill body with stainless (not too much of a joke, that would be nice!)

EDIT:
The worst parts are at about 3-4 sockingtons (inside of the drawer), but most of the grill is a 0. Just the drawer and some of the inner grill area (a 1 or 2 really) are showing rust. A lot of the visible metal is actually stainless (doors, lid of grill).

Fire Storm fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 27, 2012

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Fire Storm posted:

I fired up the old grill for the first time this year and found out that the pull out drawer under the grill was filled with water and of course sheets of rust. The inside of the grill isn't doing too much better. Does anyone have any experience with Krylon High Heat & Radiator and BBQ/Stove Paints or Rust-Oleum Bar-B-Que Black paints? Or does anyone have a better suggestion as to how I could protect the surface after cleaning the hell out of it?

I'd like to get at least a few more years out of it before I have to replace the main grill body with stainless (not too much of a joke, that would be nice!)

Well don't paint the inside, of course. Look for coal yards in your local yellow pages, go to them and ask for some furnace paint. That poo poo rocks.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Sponge! posted:

Well don't paint the inside, of course. Look for coal yards in your local yellow pages, go to them and ask for some furnace paint. That poo poo rocks.
Thanks!

Speaking of stainless, I've been reading some pages on it and some stuff is confusing. Can I seriously use 100% CO2 for stainless (MIG at least)? If I have a bottle of argon and a bottle of CO2, is there any easy way to mix it to 95/5?

I'll probably try TIG stainless before I even consider MIG stainless. Looking on Miller's website, they list a few replacements for thoriated electrodes. Any personal recommendations? Should I have separate electrodes for stainless vs mild steel?

My machine is straight DC (no pulses), or at least I'm pretty sure it's pulseless.

Am I reading pages right that I can't use the same wheels (grinding and wire) for stainless that I use for mild steel?

Fire Storm fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 27, 2012

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Fire Storm posted:

Thanks!

Speaking of stainless, I've been reading some pages on it and some stuff is confusing. Can I seriously use 100% CO2 for stainless (MIG at least)? If I have a bottle of argon and a bottle of CO2, is there any easy way to mix it to 95/5?

I'll probably try TIG stainless before I even consider MIG stainless. Looking on Miller's website, they list a few replacements for thoriated electrodes. Any personal recommendations? Should I have separate electrodes for stainless vs mild steel?

My machine is straight DC (no pulses), or at least I'm pretty sure it's pulseless.

Am I reading pages right that I can't use the same wheels (grinding and wire) for stainless that I use for mild steel?

Yes, I believe you can weld stainless with 100% co2 on GMAW. I can look into some of my handbooks for more info if you're interested. I would assume it would produce a weld with some high oxidation.

For GTAW, you can't use co2. Co2 will oxidize your electrode. You'll need argon/helium or a mix. If you want to make a quick gas mixture, you can set the flowrate of each cylinder to the required ratio for the mix, and hook them up to a Y-hose.

Is there a specific reason you want to switch from a Th electrode? It's not terribly common to use other alloyed electrodes, and an EWTh-2 will be suitable for any welding you want to do. No need to have seperate ones for different steels.

For your wheels, it depends on whether contamination is an issue for you.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

thecobra posted:

Yes, I believe you can weld stainless with 100% co2 on GMAW. I can look into some of my handbooks for more info if you're interested. I would assume it would produce a weld with some high oxidation.

Is there a specific reason you want to switch from a Th electrode? It's not terribly common to use other alloyed electrodes, and an EWTh-2 will be suitable for any welding you want to do. No need to have seperate ones for different steels.
Na, no need to look it up, it just sounded like crazy talk to me (I never even thought of CO2 as a shield gas because I thought oxidation would be an issue.)

#1 reason I was thinking of a non-Th electrode is because I remember my instructor saying that Th was being phased out of electrodes (but lots of stockpiles remain). I STRONGLY remember him saying that the radiation risks were absolutely minimal, esp if you have ventilation.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Fire Storm posted:

Na, no need to look it up, it just sounded like crazy talk to me (I never even thought of CO2 as a shield gas because I thought oxidation would be an issue.)

#1 reason I was thinking of a non-Th electrode is because I remember my instructor saying that Th was being phased out of electrodes (but lots of stockpiles remain). I STRONGLY remember him saying that the radiation risks were absolutely minimal, esp if you have ventilation.

Wet wheel only. Its an alpha emitter, which is mostly safe as long as the dust doesn't get inside your lungs/digestive-tract...

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
I've never used a wet wheel on them. As far as I know they are the industry standard right now, and most places won't even have an alternative around. The danger would be exposure time. I suppose if your job is to grind them all day (??) you would have a problem. Similar to SAW flux. It's not recommended you breathe it, but minimal exposure is of no ill consequence.

CO2 is an extremely common shielding gas, more so in mixes with Argon. Standard mixes are 5C, 8-10C, 25C, or just 100%C. Each mix will produce different effects on your weld, and you have to consider your process, mode, and filler metal.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

thecobra posted:

I've never used a wet wheel on them. As far as I know they are the industry standard right now, and most places won't even have an alternative around. The danger would be exposure time. I suppose if your job is to grind them all day (??) you would have a problem.

Do you at least wash your hands and wipe your face after grinding them? Maybe a respirator?

THOX isn't exactly harmless. On the one hand you could powder your :dong: and ballsack with the grinding dust and not have much of an issue at all because it will rinse off, but I wouldn't like to think of the many ways it can gently caress up things like your corneas, sinuses, larynx, and alveolar functions. Once it is inside your body, there is no natural process to excrete it. And since Thorium 232 has a half life that is nearly 200 MILLION times your total life expectancy, its a lot like herpes. Can't get rid of it, but you can live with it if you have to.

I'd rather snort a pinch of powdered Lead than lick a freshly ground but un-rinsed Thoriated tungsten...

For the most part, Ceriated Tungstens will do the job just fine. Now if you're welding submarines or space hardware, then yes sometimes only Thorium will do.

Edit: You used the phrase "the danger would be exposure time" which is almost, but not entirely incorrect. If it gets into your lungs or intestines, the exposure time essentially becomes infinity.

Double Edit for fact checking: See section 7. https://www.airgas.com/documents/pdf/004014.pdf

Sponge! fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 28, 2012

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
I picked up a book on chasing and repousse a coupla days ago and have been devouring it ever since. I happened upon a technique that seems like a real neat approach to a project i've been wanting to do for forever and a day- make a really ballin' flask. It's called Masonite die-pressing: you build a 'die' by cutting the desired outline out of a sheet of hard Masonite drilled at the corners (bolting additional identically-cut-out sheets of plywood under the Masonite if you need additional height), and then bolt a sheet of ductile annealed metal to the face of the die (via holes you drill in the metal sheet itself). Then you dish out the general form with soft hammers and mallets, moving up to punches for greater detail, before dissassembling the die and cutting the formed object out.
The whole point of this is to create hollow forms with identical borders that still have unique/non-mass-produced craftsmanship, for the purpose of assembly. Hence my flask- it solves the finicky problem of shaping two halves freehand and expecting them to fit together worth a drat if you're not good at what you're doing.

Now the thoughts/questions/etc!!

1) What metal should I use? Priorities are 1) foodsafe 2) ductile and cooperative with the forming process 3) strength. Originally I wanted to go with tinplate, but it's impossible to find in less-than-1-ton quantities, and tinplating the steel after it's been formed is possible but a pain. Then I was considering copper/brass/bronze, because they're way prettier and better for die-forming, but they'd still have to be tinplated.
Now I figure aluminium's the best bet, I'd prefer silver but lmao @ the price of precious metals nowadays, and silverplating nickel silver or tinplating the inner surface of copper/alloys is a whole ball-game I'm not playin yet, so aluminium seems like the best compromise.

2) How can I best join the two halves? I don't know a goddamn thing about welding/brazing aluminium, it's weird finicky metal I don't really do much with. Make that just brazing because I don't really have proper welding equipment beyond a tankless oxy-acetylene rig and a tiny baby anaemic stick welder.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I picked up a book on chasing and repousse a coupla days ago and have been devouring it ever since. I happened upon a technique that seems like a real neat approach to a project i've been wanting to do for forever and a day- make a really ballin' flask. It's called Masonite die-pressing: you build a 'die' by cutting the desired outline out of a sheet of hard Masonite drilled at the corners (bolting additional identically-cut-out sheets of plywood under the Masonite if you need additional height), and then bolt a sheet of ductile annealed metal to the face of the die (via holes you drill in the metal sheet itself). Then you dish out the general form with soft hammers and mallets, moving up to punches for greater detail, before dissassembling the die and cutting the formed object out.
The whole point of this is to create hollow forms with identical borders that still have unique/non-mass-produced craftsmanship, for the purpose of assembly. Hence my flask- it solves the finicky problem of shaping two halves freehand and expecting them to fit together worth a drat if you're not good at what you're doing.

Now the thoughts/questions/etc!!

1) What metal should I use? Priorities are 1) foodsafe 2) ductile and cooperative with the forming process 3) strength. Originally I wanted to go with tinplate, but it's impossible to find in less-than-1-ton quantities, and tinplating the steel after it's been formed is possible but a pain. Then I was considering copper/brass/bronze, because they're way prettier and better for die-forming, but they'd still have to be tinplated.
Now I figure aluminium's the best bet, I'd prefer silver but lmao @ the price of precious metals nowadays, and silverplating nickel silver or tinplating the inner surface of copper/alloys is a whole ball-game I'm not playin yet, so aluminium seems like the best compromise.

2) How can I best join the two halves? I don't know a goddamn thing about welding/brazing aluminium, it's weird finicky metal I don't really do much with. Make that just brazing because I don't really have proper welding equipment beyond a tankless oxy-acetylene rig and a tiny baby anaemic stick welder.

Have you considered flatware grade(food-safe) pewter sheets? Aluminum is going to be a bitch to make two become one... And at least you can braze/silver-solder pewter together without much ado.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Sponge! posted:

Have you considered flatware grade(food-safe) pewter sheets? Aluminum is going to be a bitch to make two become one... And at least you can braze/silver-solder pewter together without much ado.

Pewter rocks to work with, I've already done a lot of farting-around practise stuff with it, but it's absurdly expensive to get nice clean sheets of. I'm not making an heirloom or anything, I'm not good enough (nor can I afford) to warrant dropping 50 bucks on materials for one specific vanity project. If I had a rolling mill, even a lil one, I'd roll myself All The Sheet Pewter from the still-expensive-but-much-more-reasonable chopped-up/melted down pewter ingots.

Working with tinplate/tin-plated on one side at least metal is supposed to be nice because it solders together incredibly effortlessly well, which is why I was leaning towards it originally. I could repousse/chase a design into one or both sides of the flask and then mask the outside (minus where it'll be soldered) and tinplate it in one of those jury-rigged lil electroplating bath thingies.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Pewter rocks to work with, I've already done a lot of farting-around practise stuff with it, but it's absurdly expensive to get nice clean sheets of. I'm not making an heirloom or anything, I'm not good enough (nor can I afford) to warrant dropping 50 bucks on materials for one specific vanity project. If I had a rolling mill, even a lil one, I'd roll myself All The Sheet Pewter from the still-expensive-but-much-more-reasonable chopped-up/melted down pewter ingots.

Working with tinplate/tin-plated on one side at least metal is supposed to be nice because it solders together incredibly effortlessly well, which is why I was leaning towards it originally. I could repousse/chase a design into one or both sides of the flask and then mask the outside (minus where it'll be soldered) and tinplate it in one of those jury-rigged lil electroplating bath thingies.

I still say rock out with the pewter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-WIL...22881%26ps%3D54

I'm sure you could come drat close to getting a flask out of that.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Sponge! posted:

Do you at least wash your hands and wipe your face after grinding them? Maybe a respirator?

THOX isn't exactly harmless. On the one hand you could powder your :dong: and ballsack with the grinding dust and not have much of an issue at all because it will rinse off, but I wouldn't like to think of the many ways it can gently caress up things like your corneas, sinuses, larynx, and alveolar functions. Once it is inside your body, there is no natural process to excrete it. And since Thorium 232 has a half life that is nearly 200 MILLION times your total life expectancy, its a lot like herpes. Can't get rid of it, but you can live with it if you have to.

I'd rather snort a pinch of powdered Lead than lick a freshly ground but un-rinsed Thoriated tungsten...

For the most part, Ceriated Tungstens will do the job just fine. Now if you're welding submarines or space hardware, then yes sometimes only Thorium will do.

Edit: You used the phrase "the danger would be exposure time" which is almost, but not entirely incorrect. If it gets into your lungs or intestines, the exposure time essentially becomes infinity.

Double Edit for fact checking: See section 7. https://www.airgas.com/documents/pdf/004014.pdf

I understand your concern for the radioactive material, completely, but I was just saying. Anybody in any shop should be wearing their safety googles like a good boy. On top of that, I can't think of a time when I have been welding and decided to see what my fingers taste like. For the exposure time, I see where you are coming from, but like I put it, I meant you want to worry about your respiratory tract if you are constantly exposing yourself to the dust, not what it will do inside you.

All I'm saying is that Thoriated electrodes are still extremely common, and I have never seen anybody use any sort of face protection.

quote:

Oh my. This sounds serious.
But its not. Remember, just because something is radioactive doesn't make it a radiological health hazard. Although the magnitude of the dose associated with the use of welding rods can be measured, it is small in comparison to other radiation exposures one typically receives every day of their lives by virtue of being alive. In fact, the average annual dose incurred by users of thoriated tungsten electrodes is less than 0.3% of the maximum permissible dose for occupational radiation workers . . . and the agencies who promulgates this dose limit considers annual doses less than the limit to be "safe".

quote:

So there are no effects whatsoever?
Although there is a statistical probability that the use of thoriated tungsten electrodes could cause lung cancer, the theoretical probability is vanishingly small. In reality, this effect has never been demonstrated.

I do consider your information valid, however it really isn't enough to make me take any sort of precaution there. If anybody wants to ensure their health and safety, go ahead, I won't argue with that.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
'Cause we talkin bout pewter;

Forging rings as opposed to casting 'em is neato. Can't really control for final ring size much, though.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I did a bit of research into this before, you can weld aluminium with Oxy/acetylene and the right fluxes, i imagine its pretty hard with very thin material though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjGip_StNGY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMgYPFpGytY

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Fire Storm posted:

Thanks!

Flux cored stainless should be able to be used with 100% CO2, but works best with Argon w/ 18% CO2.

Solid wire stainless depends on the grade.
Generally it's Argon with 2% CO2 for 300 series stainless (e.g. 307/308/316), and Tri-mix with added Oxygen/Helium for thick sections (above 8mm).

Some Duplex grades can handle up to 10% CO2.

625 (Inconel?) is usually done with pure argon.

If the CO2 content is too high, it binds up the chromium as chrome carbide leading to poor corrosion resistance, and cracking.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

echomadman posted:

I did a bit of research into this before, you can weld aluminium with Oxy/acetylene and the right fluxes, i imagine its pretty hard with very thin material though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjGip_StNGY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMgYPFpGytY

Nah, it's easy:
Front:

Back:

Bottom:

0.5mm Aluminium welded with OA, 2.4mm 4047 TIG wire, and Eutectic+Castolin 190 flux. :smug:

The trick is to use the thick filler rod as a heatsink, and to never hold the flame on the workpiece. Just keep passing it over then off of the joint, then once it's hot enough the flux melts, and your filler will just flash into the joint.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 30, 2012

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
0.5 milimetre aluminium, welded :pwn:

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Chalupa Joe posted:

Nah, it's easy:
Wow... How about OA magnesium?

And just because I saw this video of welding and it looks good: Tig Welding Techniques and Welding Magnesium

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
^^^ Brazed, the 4047 has 12% Silicon, and has a melting point of 560ºC, approximately 85ºC lower than pure aluminium.

There's a bunch of caveats on its use too: the colour won't match if you go and anodise afterwards, and it won't work at all if the magnesium content of the base metal is too high.
The usual application is repairing aluminium radiators.

I haven't tried Magnesium welding, using OA is as far as I'm aware limited to repairing castings, though one of our customers* TIG welds bike/kart frames from it.

*The company I work for sells welding consumables, and Fronius welding equipment.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chalupa Joe posted:

Nah, it's easy:
Front:

Back:

Bottom:

0.5mm Aluminium welded with OA, 2.4mm 4047 TIG wire, and Eutectic+Castolin 190 flux. :smug:

The trick is to use the thick filler rod as a heatsink, and to never hold the flame on the workpiece. Just keep passing it over then off of the joint, then once it's hot enough the flux melts, and your filler will just flash into the joint.

:golfclap:
Impressive.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
A wild inlay appears!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Ambrose Burnside posted:

A wild inlay appears!

Verrrr nice! Is that some twisted and hammered copper wire?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Yeah. Originally I was just gonna try 16 ga. solid wire, but decided I could put in the 5 minutes to twist up some filigree. Started off round but flattened as I worked it into the groove. Went with pewter because it's so soft- real easy to use hammers/punches to drag over the edges of the filigree to trap it. The backside is dead-ugly, there's a hilarious ~1 cm gap where there's no inlay because the ring expanded as I worked it on the mandrel, stretching the gap where I welded it shut. Also the inlay wanders a lot; it started straight down the middle, but ended up meandering as I hammered on stuff and then aligned it all at the end.

Its very blurrrghh, but I'm cuttin myself a huge slice-o-slack because I did work you'd normally do with a full set of jeweller's dapping punches with a single light ballpeen.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Slow motion magnified chip formation.
Iscar Chip Formation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRuSYQ5Npek

Bogatyr fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Been makin rings. I weld em shut, which is finicky as hell on copper and with a cheapie-cheap brass torch head connected directly to the disposable propane cylinder.