Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dorkopotamis posted:

That sounds like a countdown to a big bummer.

It is being made by CCP, who make EVE.

e; vvv they make EVE. Eve is 80% about politics and 20% about clicking other ships.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It is being made by CCP, who make EVE.

And they claim to want to make roleplaying and political power-jockying as important and tangible as combat, however the hell they're gonna make that work.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I don't know how I feel about it. Half of me is excited and the other half is "ugh, mmo".

From what I hear they're planning on:

-Players being able to become Princes of a city, complete with all the power that comes with that position.
-Permadeath.
-New characters begin as a human and are embraced during the tutorial, but it's possible to not be embraced and play as a human, albeit at a huge disadvantage and with no real reason to.
-Werewolf & possibly Hunter expansion after release.

I don't have a source, this is just what I've gathered from all over.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
From my understanding, the WoD MMO is being marketed heavily towards a female audience, as WoD Vampire is incredibly popular amongst females (well as far as RPGs go). Fashion is going to play a big part in it, so expect expensive cosmetic items like those introduced to EvE online last year. Players being Princes of a city means there will be a lot of politicking and bitching I imagine.

I reckon it'll be terrible and populated almost solely by Toreador, Ventrue and Malkavians.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

If it is as open as EVE is I might give it a go, if only to start an all Nosferatu guild and ruin other people's fun :v:

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Well, even if it isn't as open, what's the worst? If it's more on-rails with a stronger PvE component than EVE, we maybe get a multiplayer successor to Bloodlines. If it's open, a sandbox game like EVE except not as boring as EVE in that space is boring while cities filled with supernatural stuff is less so. Personally I'm optimistic about the MMO however it turns out. And, if we get really lucky, maybe the CCP guys will apply all their hard-learned lessons from EVE and the game will be accessible and not poo poo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
It won't even be comparable to Bloodlines in any way, shape, or form. Stop fooling yourselves.
That's like saying World of Warcraft is comparable to Warcraft 2. (it's not)

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Fuzz posted:

It won't even be comparable to Bloodlines in any way, shape, or form. Stop fooling yourselves.
That's like saying World of Warcraft is comparable to Warcraft 2. (it's not)

Well, at least those games shared creative talent. The WoD MMO could be cool on its own merits, but CCP's games strengths and Bloodlines' strengths couldn't be more different.

Meanwhile, Brian Mitsoda is working on some low-key indie zombie game.

I realize his resume might not be that appetizing from a surface-level business perspective - Bloodlines and Alpha Protocol - but he could be such a huge asset to a company like Bioware or Bethesda.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Randallteal posted:

Well, at least those games shared creative talent. The WoD MMO could be cool on its own merits, but CCP's games strengths and Bloodlines' strengths couldn't be more different.

I realize his resume might not be that appetizing from a surface-level business perspective - Bloodlines and Alpha Protocol - but he could be such a huge asset to a company like Bioware or Bethesda.

"Brian Mitsoda hired by Obsidian" is a headline I hope to see.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pope Guilty posted:

"Brian Mitsoda's Dead State released" is a headline I hope to see. I mean, check this game out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kej8Xgi75dM

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Given the awesome stories that EvE regularly produces, I have a decent confidence that the MMO will also generate intrigue, politicking and betrayals worthy of pen-and-paper VtM. For the same reason I'm also not very worried about missing Obsidian's writing, since the real dialogue should happen between players.

I am, however, very worried about whether the gameplay will be fun. EvE's spaceship tactical warfare couldn't have less in common with a third-vampire action-RPG, and I'd almost certainly lose any interest in the title if they resorted to the lovely cookie-cutter "watch stat bars, babysit cooldowns" MMO combat. They are releasing a console-only MMOFPS this year, though, so it'll be interesting to see if they have a solid grasp of real-time mechanics (since Vampire gameplay should be even more ambitious than that, having to mix and balance stealth, melee, shooting, and a touch of magic too).

All of that's assuming it ever gets released, of course, which is far from certain.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Given the awesome stories that EvE regularly produces, I have a decent confidence that the MMO will also generate intrigue, politicking and betrayals worthy of pen-and-paper VtM. For the same reason I'm also not very worried about missing Obsidian's writing, since the real dialogue should happen between players.

I am, however, very worried about whether the gameplay will be fun. EvE's spaceship tactical warfare couldn't have less in common with a third-vampire action-RPG, and I'd almost certainly lose any interest in the title if they resorted to the lovely cookie-cutter "watch stat bars, babysit cooldowns" MMO combat. They are releasing a console-only MMOFPS this year, though, so it'll be interesting to see if they have a solid grasp of real-time mechanics (since Vampire gameplay should be even more ambitious than that, having to mix and balance stealth, melee, shooting, and a touch of magic too).

All of that's assuming it ever gets released, of course, which is far from certain.

Shooting will apparently play a minor party they said with guns being cosmetic items rather than anything to really fear.

Im hopeful for the WoD MMO because its going to emphasise that vital social aspect at all times that just sort of fell away in later VtMB and to a much more interesting and complex degree, all CCP need to do is give players a lot of ways to interact with each other both positively and negatively and have mechanical consequences to go with them and we'll be golden.

LordLeckie fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 30, 2012

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Randallteal posted:

I had a dream a few months ago that Bethesda studios acquired Obsidian, Troika, and basically everyone left over from Black Isle.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Gyshall posted:

I had a dream a few months ago that Bethesda studios acquired Obsidian, Troika, and basically everyone left over from Black Isle.
Sounds more like a nightmare.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master

LordLeckie posted:

Shooting will apparently play a minor party they said with guns being cosmetic items rather than anything to really fear.

The Barrett M82 is something that should always be feared, under-powering firearms skews the balance of power and essentially makes the masquerade unnecessary. The Masq is kept to protect vamps from the US Gov more than Hunters. I love social heavy RPGs but if the guns are too weak then that destroys the whole immersion factor for me. Though what concerns me most with the Wod MMO is that they might take too much from Requim; vamps get weaker as they increase in age or power is crazy and I'm too attached to the Cain/Lilith lore. So the end to Bloodlines not involving a Methuselah was disappointing somewhat, sticking it to La Croix though made up for it

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
To be more precise they said the focus would be on close combat rather than distance fighting. Presumably they'll be really powerful weapons and ranged abilities, but you know. :v:

Personally I'm hoping for the opportunity to be a Caitiff, complete with the stigmatization it'd involve. I just want to bring my PNP character back. :(

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Kalaxus posted:

Though what concerns me most with the Wod MMO is that they might take too much from Requim; vamps get weaker as they increase in age or power is crazy and I'm too attached to the Cain/Lilith lore.

Wait, don't Requiem vampires get stronger as they age and their blood potency increases? Countered by their blood requirements becoming more stringent until at potency 6 or so they can only feed on other vampires. Or have I entirely misunderstood the rulebook?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Wait, don't Requiem vampires get stronger as they age and their blood potency increases? Countered by their blood requirements becoming more stringent until at potency 6 or so they can only feed on other vampires. Or have I entirely misunderstood the rulebook?

Masquerade vampires' overall potential is Generation; the further you are from Caine (i.e. the higher your Generation), the weaker you are. Generally, the older the vampire, the more likely they are to be of lower Generation, though that's not an absolute.

Requiem vampires' blood gets stronger as time goes on, measured as Blood Potency. I have no idea what Kalaxus is on about.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
Visceral reaction of Requiem Bad! led to my earlier misrepresentation. VtM's diablerie to decrease generation greatly increases the vamps potential power ramping up in effectiveness with each drop in Gen, compared to the somewhat diminishing returns seen in Requiem; where vamps have to take the long nap to weaken their blood to operate practically. It's going to hit the fan eventually leaving you scrounging the swamp for nourishment; needing vamp blood in that situation very bad.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Apologies if this has been asked and/or answered earlier, but is there a mod in existence that changed the Nosferatu player character's somewhat... fringe dress sense? I'm all for representing as many different human interests as possible in media but being forced to wear gimpsuits for protection is somewhat grating when other Nos get to wear bowties :(

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lassitude posted:

Well, even if it isn't as open, what's the worst? If it's more on-rails with a stronger PvE component than EVE, we maybe get a multiplayer successor to Bloodlines.
Is it going to come with a unicorn to be your best magical friend in the box, too? That spits rainbows and can fly and its horn cures cancer? :allears:

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Rather Dashing posted:

Apologies if this has been asked and/or answered earlier, but is there a mod in existence that changed the Nosferatu player character's somewhat... fringe dress sense? I'm all for representing as many different human interests as possible in media but being forced to wear gimpsuits for protection is somewhat grating when other Nos get to wear bowties :(

I don't think so. You can change the texture easily enough, but you can't really alter the mesh, so modders options are very limited.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Kalaxus posted:

Visceral reaction of Requiem Bad! led to my earlier misrepresentation. VtM's diablerie to decrease generation greatly increases the vamps potential power ramping up in effectiveness with each drop in Gen, compared to the somewhat diminishing returns seen in Requiem; where vamps have to take the long nap to weaken their blood to operate practically. It's going to hit the fan eventually leaving you scrounging the swamp for nourishment; needing vamp blood in that situation very bad.

Resting in torpor to lower your BP resets your ability to feed. If you sleep your way to 1 BP, you can eat animals again.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Resting in torpor to lower your BP resets your ability to feed. If you sleep your way to 1 BP, you can eat animals again.

You also won't remember who you are, how old you are, or how powerful you were.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Fuzz posted:

You also won't remember who you are, how old you are, or how powerful you were.

Hell, if you sleep long enough and/or didn't go into torpor in a good frame of mind, you might not remember how many limbs you're meant to have.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Hell, you might not even remember that you're capable of beating senseless a group of muggers, or that you are able to tell people to give you their life savings and have it happen.

In short, the Fog of Ages is the best mechanic.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Zereth posted:

Is it going to come with a unicorn to be your best magical friend in the box, too? That spits rainbows and can fly and its horn cures cancer? :allears:

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I think they're both vampire RPGs which'll have PvE combat stuff to some extent and hopefully the same kind of atmosphere. Although there may not be any really memorable places like the... Oceanview Hotel, or whatever it was called... I'm still hoping that after EVE and after Bloodlines they'll move forward with an eye toward the latter as much as the former.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

It's just messageboard gossip, but I've heard that it wasn't exactly amicable when he left (He was apparently really mad about being removed from Alpha Protocol) so I doubt he'd go back.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

DemonNick posted:

It's just messageboard gossip, but I've heard that it wasn't exactly amicable when he left (He was apparently really mad about being removed from Alpha Protocol) so I doubt he'd go back.

Considering they recently laid off a ton of people after that New Vegas debacle, they're not really in a position to be hiring anyway, unfortunately.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Considering they recently laid off a ton of people after that New Vegas debacle, they're not really in a position to be hiring anyway, unfortunately.

Firing people didn't really have a ton to do with New Vegas. Apparently it was internal politics at... I think it was Microsoft that did them in. Until that next gen launch title got cancelled they were apparently fine regardless of not getting the metacritic bonus.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Fuzz posted:

Why was New Vegas a "debacle" I thought it sold really well?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

It was a debacle because it got 84 instead of 85 on Metacritic.

No, it's not a joke. It's seriously that. I know of little else that is such a strong argument for the entire game reviewing culture/industry being sick, broken, and harmful.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
And IIRC, that one Metacritic point cost Obsidian a great deal in royalty money.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

CommissarMega posted:

And IIRC, that one Metacritic point cost Obsidian a great deal in royalty money.

Yeah basically this. Black Isle's bonus for the game was tied to it getting at least an 85 on Metacritic.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Stroth posted:

Yeah basically this. Black Isle's bonus for the game was tied to it getting at least an 85 on Metacritic.

I was going to fix that for you, but you're actually correct.

Black Isle Games made New Vegas and now you can't convince me otherwise :colbert:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

It cost them ALL royalty money. Basically, Bethesda only paid what it cost to make the game, despite it selling a metric fuckton of copies and being (after the dust settled) widely hailed as far better than the original Fallout 3.

And people wonder why Double-Fine and some Obsidian folks went the Kickstarter route. It seems that a lot of studios would love to ditch publishers altogether.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Has anyone played The Final Nights mod? Thoughts?

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dominic White posted:

It cost them ALL royalty money.
That's not right. Chris Avellone said that New Vegas earned "a straight payment, no royalties, only a bonus if we got an 85+ on Metacritic." Royalties were never part of the deal.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dead State by Brian Mitsoda, the lead writer of Bloodlines is up on KickStarter! Always wished you could support this game financially and actually have the money be a vote for the sort of devs who make awesome games? Now is your chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

octoroon posted:

Dead State by Brian Mitsoda, the lead writer of Bloodlines is up on KickStarter! Always wished you could support this game financially and actually have the money be a vote for the sort of devs who make awesome games? Now is your chance.

Nice, this game looks like it has all the nuanced elements that made Bloodlines better than your standard hack and slash RPG. donated.

• Locked thread