Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

tater_salad posted:

Is there some kind of story that goes with this picture. Please say it's headlight or inspection related.

Sucked the entire lamp assembly through the intake and photolocked the motor. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

The way that rod is bent makes it look like some sort of weird mushroom.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

rscott posted:

Nope. Planes if anything are even more stringent.

It really depends; Boeing, Airbus and other airframers have sold their prototypes to customers from time to time, but have held onto others. Some of it has to do with the cost of making the prototype confirm to production spec (if it can be done in the first place), but also on just how much difference there will be between the refurbished prototype and a production aircraft. Airlines absolutely hate having a one-off in their fleet that doesn't really conform to the service manuals.

As I mentioned, it does happen from time to time; IIRC, the 777 prototype was sold to Cathay Pacific and led a rather long career (though I think it was retired recently, mostly because it was a less productive non-ER model). Also, most of the sub-variant prototypes are sold, such as the first 737-700, or the first A321.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

My friends and I have talked at length about these kinds of failures. Elasticity is actually one of the positive benefits of factory rods. Had this been a billet I-beam or racing H-beam, the piston (even forged) would have crumbled resulting in a catastrophic failure that would have taken everything out.

MTK337
Jul 11, 2005
This happened to my friends truck on saturday. Sadly he had only owned it for a couple days. We got out basically uninjured.

Ball joint failure at 50mph on the highway. Front right wheel came off and put us into a stopped car in the slow lane, then rolled it into the oncoming lanes and stopped with the roof against a PT cruiser. Only minor injuries

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That truck rolled? And only minor injuries? drat, that's a nice outcome. And you took out a PT cruiser, too, I'd say that was a pretty good day overall.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
So judging by that front bumper it had some sort of a "pre-runner" lift kit?

MTK337
Jul 11, 2005
It had stock suspension. Just cranked torsion bars

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I know it isn't a horrible mechanical failure but my friend drove her car to this point before replacing her brake pads and rotors.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I'm still seeing lots of friction material. Give us a call when she has ground her caliper piston into the disc.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

helno posted:

I'm still seeing lots of friction material. Give us a call when she has ground her caliper piston into the disc.

Exactly my thoughts. That's not even on the same scale of the horrible mechanical failure in this thread. Those brake pads would fit well in the "pictures of deferred maintenance on parts that would have only lasted a few thousand miles longer" thread.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My one friend had a Malibu that decided to lose a pad. "my brake is making noise " pulled it apart on the weekend and saw piston grinding the rotor.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sponge! posted:

I'm curious. Are "all season" tires available there like in the US? Or is the German MoT smart enough to know that there is no one tire that can handle an entire Deutschlander calendar?

Of course they are, not a lot of them on the market since I assume you mean real actual all season tires and not just warm weather tires used all year round by idiots.

AFAIK, the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons is the top dog among proper all seasons. It has above-average performance in warm weather and around average performance in cold weather, slightly worse in actual deep-ish snow. I believe it's even M+S rated.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Yes. I occasionally have to destroy parts simply because I can't prove they're traceable. They are perfectly good parts, we all know exactly what's happened with them, but what amounts to little more than a paperwork snafu = scrap bin.

Hahaha, I'm literally dealing with this right now (because people can't count and certify parts for the wrong quantity). Work order is only certified for 35 parts instead of 36, even though they were all completed in the same batch? It's highly illegal to sell that 36th part, because you can't trace it.

MrChips posted:

It really depends; Boeing, Airbus and other airframers have sold their prototypes to customers from time to time, but have held onto others. Some of it has to do with the cost of making the prototype confirm to production spec (if it can be done in the first place), but also on just how much difference there will be between the refurbished prototype and a production aircraft. Airlines absolutely hate having a one-off in their fleet that doesn't really conform to the service manuals.

As I mentioned, it does happen from time to time; IIRC, the 777 prototype was sold to Cathay Pacific and led a rather long career (though I think it was retired recently, mostly because it was a less productive non-ER model). Also, most of the sub-variant prototypes are sold, such as the first 737-700, or the first A321.

When it comes to actual airframes it's a little bit different, since a prototype airframe costs a lot of money.

rscott fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 30, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

M4rg4r1ne posted:

Will them Duke boys be able to get back to the farm with the deed before before Roscoe forecloses on it? We'll find out after these messages.

The best caption.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

meatpimp posted:

Exactly my thoughts. That's not even on the same scale of the horrible mechanical failure in this thread. Those brake pads would fit well in the "pictures of deferred maintenance on parts that would have only lasted a few thousand miles longer" thread.

Yeah, there have been much worse in this thread. No pad pad material isn't good, but isn't bad until the cooling fins are showing :q:

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Eh, my pad wear sensor just tripped yesterday, and while I know this means I usually have a couple months remaining on them (the pads I have anyways), seeing these rotor photos freaks me out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
:downs: that's what they meant by wear bars, right? It's time to think about replacing these now? :downs:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

tater_salad posted:

Is there some kind of story that goes with this picture. Please say it's headlight or inspection related.

No idea, it was on my tumblr with the caption "That's an interesting rod design"

MTK337 posted:

This happened to my friends truck on saturday. Sadly he had only owned it for a couple days. We got out basically uninjured.
Ball joint failure at 50mph on the highway. Front right wheel came off and put us into a stopped car in the slow lane, then rolled it into the oncoming lanes and stopped with the roof against a PT cruiser. Only minor injuries

I'm gonna go check my balls when I get home.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 30, 2012

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

No idea, it was on my tumblr with the caption "That's an interesting rod design"

I'm gonna go check my balls when I get home.

I have a balljoint going bad on my car,.... :ohdear:

Hey 14", maybe I should just pick up those parts NOW and we can do a quick swap/beer and pizza "date"? #nohomo.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

meatpimp posted:

Yeah that's the first thing I mentioned in my post.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

Hahaha, I'm literally dealing with this right now (because people can't count and certify parts for the wrong quantity). Work order is only certified for 35 parts instead of 36, even though they were all completed in the same batch? It's highly illegal to sell that 36th part, because you can't trace it.
It'll be even better if you have two batches and someone gets parts from one batch into the other.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 30, 2012

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

b0nes posted:

I know it isn't a horrible mechanical failure but my friend drove her car to this point before replacing her brake pads and rotors.

Make sure everything in the brakes moves freely. The way that one pad is gone and the other still has friction material indicates that something (a slide) is not moving the way it should.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Is that truck a Dodge? I can't tell, and isn't that a problem with the Dodges?

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

PBCrunch posted:

Make sure everything in the brakes moves freely. The way that one pad is gone and the other still has friction material indicates that something (a slide) is not moving the way it should.

Yea, this happened to me. One pad was ground down past the friction material, and the other pad had a good bit on it. Turns out the caliper seized.

Once I stopped being a pussy about fixing my car myself, I found poo poo beyond basic oil changed and pads fun.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

oxbrain posted:

I've worked for companies that destroyed thousands of dollars of goods on a regular basis because of tiny packaging mistakes. The manufacturing cost of most items is such a small fraction of the final shelf price that it's almost always cheaper to junk and replace at the factory than it is to bother trying to sell it. Even in cases where something was mistakenly shipped to the wrong customer it's often cheaper to have them destroy it and give proof than it is to ship it back.

Yep I see this at work. I work for a publisher and the vast majority of the cost of a book is in the labor to buy permissions, typeset, proofread, etc. The actual material cost per book is very small, like a couple bucks even for a large book. Paper is also very heavy. So when we have a wrong shipment we do a cost analysis and often it's cheaper to just have the customer throw away the mis-shipped books. We typically have them rip off the covers and mail those back just so we have some kind of record.

MTK337
Jul 11, 2005

thecobra posted:

Is that truck a Dodge? I can't tell, and isn't that a problem with the Dodges?

It's a 2000 Ford F-150

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

lazer_chicken posted:

Yep I see this at work. I work for a publisher and the vast majority of the cost of a book is in the labor to buy permissions, typeset, proofread, etc. The actual material cost per book is very small, like a couple bucks even for a large book.

This makes the price gap between paperbacks and hardbacks that much more frustrating, since the reason given is usually materials cost. :(

e: \/\/\/ Yeah, I know that's the real reason.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 31, 2012

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

This makes the price gap between paperbacks and hardbacks that much more frustrating, since the reason given is usually materials cost. :(

It's just profit margin; if you can charge $30 for a hardback, why not?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

InitialDave posted:

It'll be even better if you have two batches and someone gets parts from one batch into the other.

:gonk: I've been so afraid of something like this happening and biting us on the rear end ever since we got a bad lot of aluminum from TMX that resulted in pitting visible to the naked eye after heat treating/aging to T73.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I had never heard of ice mode ABS before and thought that guy was full of poo poo. But after searching for some information, looks like it's a pretty significant problem. Pretty lovely how the electronic nannies help babysit your car right into a tire wall.
Ice-mode seems to be an ever-present danger for drivers; I've witnessed multiple crashes caused by it, hear constantly about other crashes and near-crashes caused by it, but never about any crashes prevented by it. Why the hell is it legal for a car's ABS system to ever intentionally disable the brakes? It's insane that any car manufacturer would include such a dangerous feature, but so many different manufactures do that there has to be a rational explanation. I'm at a loss, though. WHY?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Yeah, great if you can disable it that easy, but you can't on most cars. Nor would you necessarily want to, as ABS, stability management, torque vectoring, and a lot of other electronic wizardry are very good things to have in a street car. A "feature" that disables brakes to some artificially low level because the computer can't tell lifting a wheel from a a patch of ice and doesn't instantly recognize and allow full braking when the wheels have good grippy surface is simply criminal negligence.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Anyone who blames the ice mode was probably going to fast and was going to crash anyway.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

jamal posted:

Anyone who blames the ice mode was probably going to fast and was going to crash anyway.
Possibly, but there's a big difference between missing an apex because you came in a little too hot, and flying off-track because ice-mode disables the brakes for you.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I note that a lot of the 'ice mode' crashes are on cars that are pretty heavily modded or have much wider/stickier setups than stock and the drivers are usually doing things that would get them into a really bad situation if an electronic aid decided it didn't like what was happening and intervened on the natural path of the car.

Basically, it's something that should have been addressed before tracking the car.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 1, 2012

Mottocracy
Sep 30, 2008

grover posted:

Ice-mode seems to be an ever-present danger for drivers; I've witnessed multiple crashes caused by it, hear constantly about other crashes and near-crashes caused by it, but never about any crashes prevented by it. Why the hell is it legal for a car's ABS system to ever intentionally disable the brakes? It's insane that any car manufacturer would include such a dangerous feature, but so many different manufactures do that there has to be a rational explanation. I'm at a loss, though. WHY?

ABS doesn't stop you sooner, it helps you keep control of the car. If I had to guess it's an intentional safety choice so you hit something head on (full crumple zones) instead of side on or rolling or whatever.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

BlackMK4 posted:

Basically, it's something that should have been addressed before tracking the car.

By how? Reprogramming the ECU?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

FatCow posted:

By how? Reprogramming the ECU?

Maybe if that's even an option for the car in question. If I was tracking a car that I'd known to have ABS issues it'd be disabled by pulling the fuse or something - hell, I did this in my old Land Cruiser that had ABS issues when braking over bumps.

edit: Basically, 'ice mode' is engaged when you get a wheel lock right away getting into the brakes - usually from running super aggressive pads, jumping on them instead of easing in, or getting on the brakes while a wheel is lifted. When this happens ABS drops off the brake boost and you either have to get off the brakes quick and come back on them (which doesn't always work, in my experience) or put as much pressure through the pedal as you can.

Two quick ways to 'fix' this - different pad compound or change the way you get into the brakes.

or you could pull the ABS fuse.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
You fuckers are in for a treat today!

So I'm getting my car back tomorrow, after 31 days. I need to be somewhere that I can't bum a ride to tomorrow morning so I called up and asked if the loaner was available. Thankfully it was. So they came and picked me up, and when I dropped the one mechanic off I grabbed the parts bin that I sent along to the machine shop.

However first I'd like to display the horrible mechanical failure that is this Lumina Loaner...

gently caress this car. Driving it feels like everything is connected via stretchy ropes and 1/2" pvc water pipes. However it does have A/C and rides like a Barcalounger in a vat of pudding. At the cost of roughly 18mpg though. FML. I think I figured out the story on it though. I know its at least 15 years old, but it has 061,447 miles on the dash. I have :10bux: says it was in a wreck sometime around 2004-2005 with severe side or rear damage. Then it sat, waiting, in a junkyard till Cash For Clunkers came along and suddenly there were boatloads of extra body panels and suspension poo poo for cheap. Just from opening the doors and trunk I've found 4 different paint colors. So its had an interesting life or lives. I only have to do 250 miles in it, which is going to loving suck because I'm used to ~33mpg and having some sensation of being an active part of the driving process, not this isolation tank poo poo.

The good news is I got to take MY car out on a low speed short test drive, because they haven't finished the fine adjustments on the timing/valves/belts/burp the cooling system, alignment(new CV-shafts.), etc yet. I cried a little. She hasn't purred so perfectly and quietly since the mid 90s. Can't wait to get her out on the highway.

So anyway... ONWARDS! Let us open this Pandora's Box of horrors!

I'm going to break this up into a series of posts, just because it would be impolite to do otherwise.