Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Want to play a weird Mega Man game? Play the Wonderswan one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

gently caress the wonderswan one. It's badly designed, ugly and I hate it. The platformer on the Wonderswan Color is okay though.

VVVV The Wonderswan is easy to emulate so long as you don't have to turn the screen while playing. It's basically a nightmare to set the keys for.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 27, 2012

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

YourAverageJoe posted:

gently caress the wonderswan one. It's badly designed, ugly and I hate it. The platformer on the Wonderswan Color is okay though.

Are Wonderswan emulators easy to come by?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The Wonderswan one is one of the few that I never beat.

Well, I never beat any of the Battle Network ones either, but I came close in the first one. Then got bored.

Same with Command Mission. JRPGs aren't really my thing, unless they're like Chrono Trigger or FF6 and blow my drat mind.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There are three Wonderswan MM games, from memory - Rockman and Forte 2, Battle Chip Challenge and another platformer that I forget the name of that was based on Rockman EXE and conceptually similar to that one Gamecube game.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Same with Command Mission. JRPGs aren't really my thing, unless they're like Chrono Trigger or FF6 and blow my drat mind.

Command Mission had a pretty solid battle system but the entire thing was just so painfully boring. I think I stopped at around Chapter 3 and never played it again. On the whole JRPGs fall to terrible conventions, but the ones that get it right are absolutely fantastic. (Chrono Trigger, Mother/Earthbound series, Mario RPG)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

LemonLimeTime posted:

Command Mission had a pretty solid battle system but the entire thing was just so painfully boring. I think I stopped at around Chapter 3 and never played it again. On the whole JRPGs fall to terrible conventions, but the ones that get it right are absolutely fantastic. (Chrono Trigger, Mother/Earthbound series, Mario RPG)

I don't want to veer this thread way off topic, but I love Mario RPG. Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI and Mario RPG are like the holy trinity of JRPGs. It wasn't until Mass Effect did I find an RPG I liked as much as those.

I'm sorry guys, but Battle Network and Command Mission are just so loving boring. I like running around and shooting things in my Mega Man games, thank you very much.

I think we're well overdue for the next 3D Mega Man, though. Doesn't even have to be Legends. Knowing Capcom though, they would probably gently caress up a 3D Mega Man reboot badly, though. We would probably wind up with something like that gritty Bomberman game.

I want a bright and colorful third person shooter that has that Mega Man \ Nintendo feel. So in other words... I guess that would be Mega Man Legends 3. Or well, at least its spiritual successor. I think it would be cool to have a game that looks kinda like Legends and has a similar tone, but plays more like something like Saints Row or Mass Effect or Red Dead, and retains the whole "choose your level in any order, kill a boss, take his weapon" gimmick that was basically the primary gameplay element to the whole series until they forgot about it. They don't have to limit themselves to 8 bosses, though.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I think the biggest problem with the MMBN games is the amount of time in game you spend not playing MMBN. Instead you are met with fetch quests, tournament arcs, and less than fun robot master stage mechanics.

I just want to play my Megaman themed, action rpg trading card game, not rap for whiskey on a plane.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
That really is true. It's got such a fun battle system but you squander so much of the with storyline padding, bad dialogue, and other filler.

They could've cut out everything real world related and just focus on the Navis and it would be a much better affair, I bet.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

I want a bright and colorful third person shooter that has that Mega Man \ Nintendo feel. So in other words... I guess that would be Mega Man Legends 3.

I think this is what bummed me out the most about the Legends 3 cancellation and why I was so excited for it in the first place. I've only played about 5 minutes of the first Legends game, and it felt a bit outdated when I played it but I felt like Legends 3 would not only have brought that series into modern times with it's camera control, production values, etc, but it would have been the first true game that felt like a current-gen MegaMan game that we've all been waiting for.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

LemonLimeTime posted:

I think this is what bummed me out the most about the Legends 3 cancellation and why I was so excited for it in the first place. I've only played about 5 minutes of the first Legends game, and it felt a bit outdated when I played it but I felt like Legends 3 would not only have brought that series into modern times with it's camera control, production values, etc, but it would have been the first true game that felt like a current-gen MegaMan game that we've all been waiting for.

I'm not entirely sure about that, because it was going to be for 3DS and I dunno how good the controls would be.

BUT, I WOULD love a true, current-gen Mega Man game on consoles. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE 2D MegaMan. In fact, 2D side scrollers are my favorite game genre, period, and the Mega Man games are among the finest ever made. And they should keep making them.

But, as much as I love Mega Man (and that's a lot, as its my favorite game series ever), the games rarely feel like they're a "big deal." They're loads of fun, but in each one, you fight 8 bosses, then go to Dr. Wily's\Sigma's castle and make him beg on his knees. Each one kind of feels like just another day for Mega Man, rather than a big, epic adventure. I would love a Mega Man game that feels like it's a big, epic adventure sorta like the Zelda games and not just another episode. Mega Man Legends was the closest Mega Man ever got to that.

I feel like if they want to keep Mega Man relevant, they need to reinvent him for a modern audience and give him a bigger budget, larger scale game, but also keep the colorful, cartoony, whimsical feel of the originals. Basically, make a third person shooter \ adventure game that has a very kid friendly, "Nintendoy" feel.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

I feel like if they want to keep Mega Man relevant, they need to reinvent him for a modern audience and give him a bigger budget, larger scale game, but also keep the colorful, cartoony, whimsical feel of the originals. Basically, make a third person shooter \ adventure game that has a very kid friendly, "Nintendoy" feel.

I could see something similar to the game play in Ratchet & Clank working for Mega Man. The various guns and gadgets in those games always gave off a classic Mega Man vibe for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

But, as much as I love Mega Man (and that's a lot, as its my favorite game series ever), the games rarely feel like they're a "big deal." They're loads of fun, but in each one, you fight 8 bosses, then go to Dr. Wily's\Sigma's castle and make him beg on his knees. Each one kind of feels like just another day for Mega Man, rather than a big, epic adventure. I would love a Mega Man game that feels like it's a big, epic adventure sorta like the Zelda games and not just another episode. Mega Man Legends was the closest Mega Man ever got to that.

That is what Mega Man X/Zero was for. By the end of that you were having characters crash their rockets into orbital space stations and human being killed off and all sorts of bullshit. Frankly, I can do without that. These games don't need deep epic plots, they need to be fun. Any time they try to add story it tends to add more bullshit that makes the games less fun.

Maybe if they approached it like Kid Icarus Uprising and were willing to just be silly and have fun with it, but I doubt they would.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

J-Spot posted:

I could see something similar to the game play in Ratchet & Clank working for Mega Man. The various guns and gadgets in those games always gave off a classic Mega Man vibe for me.

I've never played Ratchet and Clank, but people have told me it has a very "MegaMany" feel.

ImpAtom posted:

That is what Mega Man X/Zero was for. By the end of that you were having characters crash their rockets into orbital space stations and human being killed off and all sorts of bullshit. Frankly, I can do without that. These games don't need deep epic plots, they need to be fun. Any time they try to add story it tends to add more bullshit that makes the games less fun.

Maybe if they approached it like Kid Icarus Uprising and were willing to just be silly and have fun with it, but I doubt they would.

Yeah, part of the reason why I love the first Mega Man X so much is that it made it feel fresh again, and they totally revamped the whole universe and made it seem pretty interesting. They were going for the same thing with Zero, but I dunno how much they succeeded, well, at least for me. The Zero games were a lot like the X games, but a little blander. While they were quality games, I don't consider them a massive leap forward like X and Legends were. In fact, I rarely even consider Zero its own series and lump it in with the X games.

And as you mentioned, the X\Zero games took themselves a little too seriously. I want a Mega Man game that has a "big epic feel", but is on the cartoony, comedic side of things... in other words, the same kind of tone you found in the Legends games. I haven't played the new Kid Icarus either, so I'm not quite sure what it's like, but I'm thinking of something that's basically "Classic Mega Man meets Zelda". And more like, Wind Waker Zelda than Twilight Princess Zelda.

Of course, Capcom would likely never do this, and would instead make serious, gritty Gears of War Megaman.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm sorry guys, but Battle Network and Command Mission are just so loving boring. I like running around and shooting things in my Mega Man games, thank you very much.

Well, the discussion was about Battle Network because someone wanted to try the games.
Also thanks to the people who backed me up there. I wouldn't want a newbie to start with the weaker entires just because they're tolerable to veterans.

Cheapsteaks posted:

That really is true. It's got such a fun battle system but you squander so much of the with storyline padding, bad dialogue, and other filler.

They could've cut out everything real world related and just focus on the Navis and it would be a much better affair, I bet.

Serenade posted:

I think the biggest problem with the MMBN games is the amount of time in game you spend not playing MMBN. Instead you are met with fetch quests, tournament arcs, and less than fun robot master stage mechanics.

I just want to play my Megaman themed, action rpg trading card game, not rap for whiskey on a plane.

This is something JRPGs fail at in general.
In fact it's a problem with RPGs for me.
MMBN's farming by skill level and huge amount of customisation and collection at least keeps things interesting. There's a lot of ways things outside battles could be improved, like if there were not random battles and some kind of dungeon-encounter interaction (like you could encounter enemies in different terrain to get a battle on it or something).

What's so frustrating is that the games were progressing in terms of mechanics and 5 even had that in the liberation missions (no random battles, position determined encounter type, etc).
But instead of progressing that further when they decided they needed ANOTHER series with Star Force, they gutted the battle system completely and then added social networking features. I have not played them but I have not heard any positive impressions.

quote:

Honestly I every game these days is trying to be too epic and I can't take it seriously. I kind of wish games would scale back and not take themselves as seriously and be about a more fun experience than an epic one. The world's already beeen in peril from some cosmic entity or a another so many times now.
Sort of like Rayman origins.
that's my ideal megaman game, really, awesome animation, atmopsphere, and gameplay.
and the electrode system would be great for a megaman game - it's like the "Mission grading" thing from MMZ but far less judgemental and far less punishing to those playing the mission for reasons other than perfection because it's the number of points at the end instead of a grade. In fact, Yoshi's Island did the same thing years back.
One of the reasons I haven't beaten MMZ besides "Oh my god what happened to my reflexes :(" is that even if I do beat a level often the grade is too terrible for me to accept and I have to play again for a better one.

ImpAtom posted:

Mega Man X managed to feel epic just with the music and sprites alone and did not need narration. The best SNES platformers did that. With the huge deal ade about graphics and presentation these days I wish they would just PRESENT instead of making a lot of words.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Yonic Symbolism posted:

But instead of progressing that further when they decided they needed ANOTHER series with Star Force, they gutted the battle system completely and then added social networking features. I have not played them but I have not heard any positive impressions.

I had more fun with Star Force 3 than any game in the Battle Network series, and I loved those games.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Star Force 3 was probably the most abusable game I've played in a long time. Kind of a shame the gameplay pretty much degraded entirely into spam though.

Cheapsteaks posted:

They tried that once. We ended up with Battle Chip Challenge, the worst game in the BN series by far, because for some idiotic reason they also decided to completely remove the BN battle system.

I'd love a game that just let you choose from a list of bosses and let you customize your folder with whatever you wanted though. That'd be nice to dick around in.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

BlitzBlast posted:

Star Force 3 was probably the most abusable game I've played in a long time. Kind of a shame the gameplay pretty much degraded entirely into spam though.

They tried that once. We ended up with Battle Chip Challenge, the worst game in the BN series by far, because for some idiotic reason they also decided to completely remove the BN battle system.

I'd love a game that just let you choose from a list of bosses and let you customize your folder with whatever you wanted though. That'd be nice to dick around in.

The first two star force games weren't amazing, particularly 2, although the battle system certaintly improved consistently. But I agree, SF3 was so much loving fun. The sprite work was pretty good and battles went boom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnArWZJWMVs

I still really like the MMBN style of battle, but I have to say they tried really hard to make SF3 look loving good, and I'll be damned if they didn't succeed.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Pfft, only losers played Ace, Joker's where it's at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3uj2sB3nrw

I love the game because it felt very much like the team making it knew it was the last one, so they crammed in all they could. "Eh, we have all these old bosses lying around, why not just put them in as a bonus?"

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Just because superarmor and all those loving break chips meant that Red Joker was competitively better doesn't mean that Ace wasn't the cooler of the two. :colbert:

gently caress now I want to play this game again, where is my DS. Watching my avatar has made me yearn to get 600% noise and poo poo on low level monsters with Black End Galaxy and all those sweet gigas.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wanted to buy a copy of Mega Man V for the Game Boy a little while ago.

I had forgotten that it was never rereleased and apparently the original code for the game was lost/destroyed. Hence, http://www.ebay.com/csc/Games-/1399...omplete=1&rt=nc

:saddowns:

Oh well, at least I'm not as unlucky as those poor suckers who want an original Earthbound SNES cart.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Captain Invictus posted:

I had forgotten that it was never rereleased and apparently the original code for the game was lost/destroyed. Hence, http://www.ebay.com/csc/Games-/1399...omplete=1&rt=nc

Now I'm ever happier that I found this little bugger years ago in a second hand shop for only 10€

enormous digicam pick, don't click )

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I wanted to buy a copy of Mega Man V for the Game Boy a little while ago.

Wait...what do you mean never released? Then how did people play it back in the day?

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh well, at least I'm not as unlucky as those poor suckers who want an original Earthbound SNES cart.

Haha my friend is one of those people. I think he got his for something absurd like $130.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 30, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

LemonLimeTime posted:

Wait...what do you mean never released? Then how did people play it back in the day?

REreleased. I'm guessing Capcom never made more after the first production run.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
No, I mean like the Megaman and X collections, or via Virtual Console etc. There was a Game Boy one they were going to make but apparently the original code for Megaman V had been destroyed somehow and they scrapped the project.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Captain Invictus posted:

No, I mean like the Megaman and X collections, or via Virtual Console etc. There was a Game Boy one they were going to make but apparently the original code for Megaman V had been destroyed somehow and they scrapped the project.

Huh, weird! They couldn't just do like Square and put a rom and an emulator on a disc, I guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Skychrono posted:

Huh, weird! They couldn't just do like Square and put a rom and an emulator on a disc, I guess.

The plan was for a handheld anniversary collection for GBA that contained colourised versions of the first five Game Boy games, which would have necessitated the games to be ported rather than emulated.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Skychrono posted:

The article I read(ages ago, admittedly) I believe said that the original form of the game is not the same as the one on the cartridge, or something. So they were just like "gently caress it!" I guess instead of rebuilding it.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

That's too bad. MM5 for Gameboy is pretty drat good, and I think it's the best of the gameboy Mega Man games.

I remember the weapon you got from Mercury was pretty awesome. Just a regular type projectile, but when it hit an enemy, the projectile would return to you in the form of a small life energy pellet.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It probably wasn't worth it for Capcom, but I don't think it'd be that much effort to re-code a Game Boy game from scratch these days.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Little late on this but I don't think it's fair to lump Battle Network and Command Mission in the same boat when it comes to bad story. Command Mission was truly atrociously bad, while Battle Network (at least 1 and 2, never did play the others) is just goofy, overly wordy and awkwardly paced. Command Mission was like playing X6 as an RPG, and if it wasn't for the combat mechanics staying serviceable throughout, I never would've bothered finishing it. It's pretty sad when I see people posting about how great and underrated it is. You must be pretty loving desperate for a Mega Man game when you latch on to Command Mission.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

It probably wasn't worth it for Capcom, but I don't think it'd be that much effort to re-code a Game Boy game from scratch these days.

It's actually impossible to do that. You could certainly recreate the level design and code a decent approximation of the mechanics, but it'd never play quite like the original. You can't reverse engineer a game like that.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 30, 2012

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Lurdiak posted:

It's actually impossible to do that. You could certainly recreate the level design and code a decent approximation of the mechanics, but it'd never play quite like the original. You can't reverse engineer a game like that.

I'll also assume that it'd be likewise impossible for them to simply copy the game code over via a copy of the game itself?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Magil of Shadow posted:

I'll also assume that it'd be likewise impossible for them to simply copy the game code over via a copy of the game itself?
You mean like a rom that's totally not online available everywhere, for example :crossarms:?

Or, you know, take the MMIV code and use that as a base. It's not like the engine is fundamentally different.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Get that guy who remade Sonic CD to do it. Even Sega realized it was a good project and bought it instead of C&D-ing it.

edit: Ever see the crazy poo poo people do with lua extensions and emulators? You could probably use that method, too. In fact, there are emulators out there that have some sort of colorizing feature built into them (Emumaster for PSP is one). There is also this, I guess? http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/30/

Point is, they have plenty of alternatives they could have done, even if all they had to work with was a basic rom dump of the game. But obviously they decided it wasn't worth the money/time/effort and sadly scrapped it.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 30, 2012

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

Magil of Shadow posted:

This would give them the compiled version of the game, which won't quite do for reconstructing it. As Simply Simon points out, using MMIV as a base and then reverse engineering it from there would be the best way, but my guess is that some Capcom exec decided that was a waste of time considering what they'd get out of it.

If they did want to release the Mega Man game boy games they may as well work them over with an expanded resolution and some level polish.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

This would give them the compiled version of the game, which won't quite do for reconstructing it. As Simply Simon points out, using MMIV as a base and then reverse engineering it from there would be the best way, but my guess is that some Capcom exec decided that was a waste of time considering what they'd get out of it.

If they did want to release the Mega Man game boy games they may as well work them over with an expanded resolution and some level polish.
Hahahaha I see you didn't play the Mega Man Zero Collection.

EDIT:
"Higher resolution as we're now on the DS? gently caress THAT black border that poo poo!"

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

Hahahaha I see you didn't play the Mega Man Zero Collection.

EDIT:
"Higher resolution as we're now on the DS? gently caress THAT black border that poo poo!"

I did play that in fact. I thought we were talking about Mega Man 1 - 5 on the original Game Boy. I can see how you might interpret that to cover Xtreme 1 & 2 as well, but the GBA games don't really need the resolution bump as much as the others I mentioned.

Edit: Since you were so kind as to provide a reference photo to support your argument, I felt I should do the same. Here's the start of a level from Mega Man V on Game Boy.

Note how in the older game, Mega Man takes up about 20% of the game area. In yours Zero takes up about 3%.
Second edit: I was 1% too low on my earlier estimate for Zero's screen real estate. My bad.

JumbocactuarX27 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 30, 2012

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

I did play that in fact. I thought we were talking about Mega Man 1 - 5 on the original Game Boy. I can see how you might interpret that to cover Xtreme 1 & 2 as well, but the GBA games don't really need the resolution bump as much as the others I mentioned.

You're arguing from the perspective that Capcom will do exactly what you think is best for the games as opposed to just throwing the roms onto a cart/disc/digital download, and putting a lovely main menu to act as a gate to all of the games.

Which is exactly what they've done with every single Mega Man collection thus far.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

fivegears4reverse posted:

You're arguing from the perspective that Capcom will do exactly what you think is best for the games as opposed to just throwing the roms onto a cart/disc/digital download, and putting a lovely main menu to act as a gate to all of the games.

Which is exactly what they've done with every single Mega Man collection thus far.
Which my picture was an example of, just to clarify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

fivegears4reverse posted:

Of course I was arguing from the perspective of what would be best for the games. Not sure where you got the idea that I was doing otherwise.