Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

RazorBunny posted:

Fraction, I read your post too quickly and thought you had taken a chunk out of your dog's LEG, not just the hair, and I was briefly really concerned! She looks very silly, but at least there wasn't blood... :ohdear:

Ha, thankfully no there's no blood! I'd have freaked out so bad if that had happened. Thanks for the concern though! :)

I swear that Dan looks darker in every photo. Do all brindle Cairns do this, or is it just a possible outcome as they get older? Your dogs look as cute as ever though :3:

notsoape posted:

:toot: Bulrush has had 7 pups! :neckbeard:

Where is my picture thread I want a puppy picture thread :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoMuffin
Dec 25, 2009

Bear Rape posted:

It would be great if someone named their cat Narcissus. :allears:

I had a gopher snake named Narcissa back in high school. My mom named her because she'd always sit and chill out in front of her reflection on the tank. She was a pretty girl.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Uploaded some pictures to the computer from today of Willow, and while I was browsing through it flipped back to the very first picture on the camera which was the day I picked her out at the RSPCA. I haven't looked at this particular pic for months so I was all AWWWW over it.

Her sister Safia peeping up there too

;_; I'm biased of course but she's so beautiful

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
Went on a bike ride with Healy and TyTy and filmed a bit of video of it. Here it is:

http://youtu.be/J7SvqSIjayE

Apologies for the shakiness and the blurry bits at the end. Had some technical difficulties there.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Bear Rape posted:

She has no idea how to walk a dog. Rather than using the leash for the intended purpose of controlling the dog's direction and where it's going, I think she just puts it on him so he doesn't run off. And then she lets the dog guide her like some sort of pee-seeking divining rod,

Aw, crap.

Skizzles posted:

Someone shared this dog on Facebook... look at it. :stare:

She just got adopted. :3:

I see they finally managed to make a manatee and dog mate.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 30, 2012

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

dog days are over posted:

Dude. That really is a beautiful dog. :stare:

I never think dogs are beautiful.

PI, what have you done to me?

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I...really don't like Dio right now. At all. She uses the litterbox MOST of the time, but then there's days like today, where I get to come home to find my whole apartment because she peed or pooped beside the litterbox. I'm just fed up, I don't know what to do. She's been vet checked, I've never seen her hesitate to use it, she doesn't seem uncomfortable with the litter, and since she's using the box the majority of the time I'm reluctant to change it on her.

I'd just gotten one of those mats to keep litter from being tracked all over the apartment, so I had to clean that off in the bathtub on top of mopping the floor and cleaning the bottom of the litterbox. I'm just really REALLY tired of doing this.

rant rant rant, my loving cat sucks.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

Fraction posted:

I swear that Dan looks darker in every photo. Do all brindle Cairns do this, or is it just a possible outcome as they get older? Your dogs look as cute as ever though :3:

Where is my picture thread I want a puppy picture thread :colbert:

I'm not 100% sure on the brindle question, but I think there are some brindle cairns who don't darken. Interestingly enough, Mouse has inherited coat lightening from the bedlington quarter of her heritage, so she's gotten paler as she's aged (especially on her mask). Rainbow dawgs.

And I'll be going to visit the pups some time in the next month - the final tally is actually 8! Apparently there are more lemon pups than tricolour, and the tris are mostly flashy (lots of white).

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Dude. That really is a beautiful dog. :stare:

I never think dogs are beautiful.

PI, what have you done to me?

All whippets/whippet mixes are beautiful :colbert:

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Double postin', but the discussion about 'ideal pack sizes' got me thinking. Most people just get dogs as family pets, but some nerds like to do competitive activities with their dogs too. Something I've noticed is that in the show/sport/working world it seems fairly common for people to 'move dogs on' for one reason or another. Sometimes dogs just don't make the grade, other times dogs have careers but get 'retired' out to pet homes at the end. It seems particularly common for people to end up rehoming the first dog(s) they purchased as novices - I guess because they made all their mistakes on those dogs, and once they gain experience and become more serious about the sport, they want to 'start over' and apply everything they've learned to a new blank slate.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, it seems a little unfair to the dogs - especially if they're perfectly good pets, and bonded to you already. On the other hand, if you're committed to a particular sport it makes sense that you wouldn't want to keep a third wheel hanging around - especially if the sport/hobby takes up most of your free time, and a non-competitive dog would end up being comparatively neglected. I guess I can see both sides, but I'm wondering how PI feels about it?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Well, I heard back from Wildhaus! I resent my email, and I'm glad I did, because apparently it went to the spam folder the first time. :iiam:

Anyway, she responded to my dissertation of an email by sending one of equal sperginess, which is awesome. Long story short, they don't actually go through the interview process until they're making their final picks for who gets to put a deposit, but we're going to be kept in mind if they end up planning a litter that would work for us! :dance: She said that based on our situation and what we're looking for, we'd want a nice "middle of the road dog" (not a high drive SchH3 hopeful, but not just a pet, either) and they tend to have quite a few of those per litter. :dance: I know it's far off, but I'm getting SO excited!!

I know this might sound crazy, but this is one of those things that's like a check off of my life's goals and a step towards my future. Like getting Buddy, getting married, buying a house, and having Nolan.

Haha Speaking of, my husband was making fun of me the other day for training my son like the dogs. But I figure, hell, if it works... :haw: Really, knowing dogs is helping me immensely. I swear he learns words the exact same way, and thrives on positive reinforcement. "No, not in the mouth... GOOD JOB!!! Not in the mouth!! :neckbeard: "

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It's a dog sport, not a person sport, you're basically throwing your dogs away because they aren't making you look good. Yeah I don't like it. I also don't like the idea of making poo poo so competitive in dog sports (like agility) that people lose the idea of having fun with their dog and are just out for ribbons and stupid poo poo that doesn't actually matter at all except for your dick waving rights.

Not you, your, notsoape. Them. Er. gently caress, you know what I mean.

I've seen some poo poo lately with agility specifically that's been making me grumpy that I can't imagine doing to Kaydee for some stupid rear end ribbon or trophy or whatever the hell just so it can hang on the wall or sit on the mantel.

E: Dog sports=/=working dog events.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 30, 2012

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

WolfensteinBag posted:

Haha Speaking of, my husband was making fun of me the other day for training my son like the dogs. But I figure, hell, if it works... :haw: Really, knowing dogs is helping me immensely. I swear he learns words the exact same way, and thrives on positive reinforcement. "No, not in the mouth... GOOD JOB!!! Not in the mouth!! :neckbeard: "

Welp, time to start him on the clicker! :haw:

But seriously, that's awesome about Wildhaus! Their dogs are just super.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

notsoape posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, it seems a little unfair to the dogs - especially if they're perfectly good pets, and bonded to you already. On the other hand, if you're committed to a particular sport it makes sense that you wouldn't want to keep a third wheel hanging around - especially if the sport/hobby takes up most of your free time, and a non-competitive dog would end up being comparatively neglected. I guess I can see both sides, but I'm wondering how PI feels about it?

I don't really like it, but I think a person who would rehome a sport dog isn't me. People in the horse world are always flipping horses, isn't this the same thing? Dogs are more companions than horses, yes, but dog sports are (mostly, and I'm thinking about agility & flyball here) for the benefit of people as Fluffy Bunnies says, and its the same horse sports. If the person wants a different, more suitable animal for their sport, so be it. Its kind of sad, but ok as long as the new home is carefully chosen.

My dogs are my pets, I can't imagine rehoming Sigma because he has weak nerves and gets freaked out by drains :3: But he's not a sport dog that I keep for the sole purpose of, say, obtaining SCH3. He's just my buddy.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

notsoape posted:

Something I've noticed is that in the show/sport/working world it seems fairly common for people to 'move dogs on' for one reason or another...

Short answer: I can see why some people do it, and I don't fault them (for the most part) but I could never do it.

Maybe tomorrow I'll feel like posting the long version. :)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm pretty much with adventure in the sandbox. I don't like it, I think it's really unfair to the dogs, but I can understand being really into a sport and really needing a good dog for it (just don't treat it like some disposable performance machine). Not something I could ever do.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Skizzles posted:

(just don't treat it like some disposable performance machine)

This is more or less my problem with it. I can't really see anyone getting rid of a second place dog that is bonded with them well (or however you wanna say that) as anything else than treating the dog that busts it's rear end for them, like trash.

And that poo poo just pisses me right off. It's just a stupid ribbon. Your dog should mean more to you than that. :argh:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I stuck a whole small apple in the rat cage. They're more rolling it around than actually eating it, but they seem to be having fun.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

WolfensteinBag posted:

This is awesome!!! :haw: Best of luck with everything, keep us updated!! And yay, pictures! :f5:

I will definitely keep you guys updated. It's so nice to have an outlet for my OMG MY DOG IS AWESOME posts because in real life most of my friends think I'm crazy for obsessing over my dogs like I do. :smith:

My day got nuts today and I cannot figure out how to transfer the pictures from my phone (which is my new camera since my lovely but ancient Nikon suddenly forgot how to focus on things a few months ago) to my computer and/or to post pictures from my phone to the forums. I am so bad at technology it hurts, but it also doesn't help that I've been up since 5 AM and only got to sit down and figure it out at 10 PM. I think I need a different type of cord to connect the phone to the computer. I have tomorrow mostly off so I will sit down first thing and figure this poo poo out.

I feel bad because I've been promising pictures of my lovely George (almost typed gorgeous George but am having GBS flashbacks there) since the last thread, but I'm trying to figure it out. :saddowns: I will say none of his poses are close to being stacked, except how he naturally stands. Of course I also have no idea about GSDs since my entire life previously was hounds and heelers, but he doesn't look at all like the show dogs. I'm kind of nervous about posting pictures because actually I don't think he looks like any GSDs I see online. :ohdear: I'm afraid you guys will tell me he's a bad Shepherd. But we shall see! I think he's gorgeous and amazing, and that's all that matters. :3:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

2tomorrow posted:

I'm afraid you guys will tell me he's a bad Shepherd. But we shall see! I think he's gorgeous and amazing, and that's all that matters. :3:

No way! He can't be bad if he's a good dog. My Sigma has a weak temperament - GSDs should not bark in fear at wheelbarrows and cower at the sight of drains, and no one has commented on how useless he is as a GSD :3:

(Delta is a normal GSD and I want to do tracking with her)

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So uh. Been playing tug with the dog lately, and we both enjoy it. At least I thought we did. He's been growling when we do it now. I'll give the toy a tug, and then he'll tug it, and growl.

How do I tell if this is annoyed/"Let it go!" growling? Or is that all growling?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
It's normal for dogs to growl when playing; a growl isn't just a negative noise, it can indicate a ton of things that have nothing to do with anger.

2tomorrow posted:

My day got nuts today and I cannot figure out how to transfer the pictures from my phone (which is my new camera since my lovely but ancient Nikon suddenly forgot how to focus on things a few months ago) to my computer and/or to post pictures from my phone to the forums. I am so bad at technology it hurts, but it also doesn't help that I've been up since 5 AM and only got to sit down and figure it out at 10 PM. I think I need a different type of cord to connect the phone to the computer. I have tomorrow mostly off so I will sit down first thing and figure this poo poo out.

If you have an iPhone or Android you can download the Imgur app from the app store on your phone. It allows you to upload pictures from your library to Imgur, which then generates an img code that you can use to post pics on the forums. :science:

Also, I don't know why you'd be concerned that pet island wouldn't approve of George since he doesn't look like a show GSD; the show GSDs are the gross hosed up looking ones! I bet he's gorgeous, don't worry.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 30, 2012

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Captain Foxy posted:

If you have an iPhone or Android you can download the Imgur app from the app store on your phone. It allows you to upload pictures from your library to Imgur, which then generates an img code that you can use to post pics on the forums. :science:

Also, I don't know why you'd be concerned that pet island wouldn't approve of George since he doesn't look like a show GSD; the show GSDs are the gross hosed up looking ones! I bet he's gorgeous, don't worry.

I do have an Android but I just got it like a month ago so I am still learning it. I was all excited a few days ago because I figured out how to download an alarm clock app. :suicide: This looks like exactly what I need! Thank you so much.

And I know about the show dog thing. I just get self-conscious because I think he's so wonderful but he was just a random dumped dog which I know doesn't mean anything except that he had lovely previous owners but...yeah...I never learned anything about German Shepherds before the last few months so I feel out of my league.

Time for bed for me, but I started a download of the Imgur app and I will post pictures as soon as I figure this out. I'm not really that worried, because I know even if he's a terrible physical example of the breed you guys just don't know his amazing personality. :colbert: And I would actually be interested to hear how he matches up to breed standards. I've read them but I'm also horribly biased so I don't think my judgment is reliable.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Bash Ironfist posted:

So uh. Been playing tug with the dog lately, and we both enjoy it. At least I thought we did. He's been growling when we do it now. I'll give the toy a tug, and then he'll tug it, and growl.

How do I tell if this is annoyed/"Let it go!" growling? Or is that all growling?

My dog growls like crazy when we play tug. My partner finds it terrifying but it's actually adorable. :3:

I've had the flu for about 10 days now. This has been my life for most of it; trying to do homework with the capable assistance of this trio of derps.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

2tomorrow posted:

And I know about the show dog thing. I just get self-conscious because I think he's so wonderful but he was just a random dumped dog which I know doesn't mean anything except that he had lovely previous owners but...yeah...I never learned anything about German Shepherds before the last few months so I feel out of my league.

Time for bed for me, but I started a download of the Imgur app and I will post pictures as soon as I figure this out. I'm not really that worried, because I know even if he's a terrible physical example of the breed you guys just don't know his amazing personality. :colbert: And I would actually be interested to hear how he matches up to breed standards. I've read them but I'm also horribly biased so I don't think my judgment is reliable.

:rolleyes: We just want to see your drat dog already! Really, seeing his structure is just for my own curiosity because I love evaluating conformation like that. Hell, I rip apart my own husky all the time, ask my husband. Just curious is all, and I bet he's super duper cute. :3:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Bash Ironfist posted:

To rile my dog up during tug sessions I sometimes growl at him. I would say "annoyed" growling would probably be pretty noticeable. He's probably just excited.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Bash Ironfist posted:

Sometimes I wonder how it is that you have a dog and now work around dogs and don't know basic stuff :v:

It's super fun to rile your dog up by growling and shaking the toy around yourself. Dogs are easily amused.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

notsoape posted:

I don't really think people who are that into "dog sports" really think of dogs the way that most people do...as pets or companion animals. They are somewhat just another tool to use in that persons chosen hobby.

And I'm an rear end but I do kind of fault these people for how they handle this because it feels like another step beyond our every day selfishness (as consumers and pet owners in general) and into the realm of directly manipulating the lives of dependent animals for your own satisfaction and ditching them when they no longer meet your requirements. But the effort to flesh this out into a fully qualified, defensible idea, is beyond me at the moment and probably is more nuanced than most people care about.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Edit: Damnit, wrong thread.

Nerdmann
Sep 21, 2007

WolfensteinBag posted:

Congrats on possible future dog! As for the kids positive reinforcement thing, I do it all the time with my niece and smaller kids. Like oh they are doing something I don't want, better redirect to an appropriate activity and praise them. Just like giving Riley a toy when she used to get mouthy. Or desensitizing my niece with bugs. Hey it works and as a non mom, it's about all I know to do with kids regarding discipline and when I babysit my niece, which I do usually a couple of times a month, we have great fun, so she likes it!

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

WolfensteinBag posted:

:rolleyes: We just want to see your drat dog already! Really, seeing his structure is just for my own curiosity because I love evaluating conformation like that. Hell, I rip apart my own husky all the time, ask my husband. Just curious is all, and I bet he's super duper cute. :3:

Pretty much this, I tell my dog what terrible German Shepherd she is all the time, especially now that Wildhaus has a Maverick in the newest litter, it makes her sad. :3:

Look how sad and forlorn she is:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

DenialTwist posted:

Pretty much this, I tell my dog what terrible German Shepherd she is all the time, especially now that Wildhaus has a Maverick in the newest litter, it makes her sad. :3:

If you had a dog that is shaped like Lola, your favourite passtime would be telling her just how stupid she looks/what a terrible JRT she is. I've even had someone once try to argue that my dog wasn't a JRT at all! :haw:

For all the Alsatian-owning goons, why do we not have a GSD thread? :mad:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

For all the Alsatian-owning goons, why do we not have a GSD thread? :mad:

Probably because there aren't any breed-specific threads except the corgi thread. :smith:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Probably because there aren't any breed-specific threads except the corgi thread. :smith:

There's a bully thread, a primitive thread, and general small dog + big dog thread though. Where's the general herder/spaniel/whatever threads? :qq:

VV I forgot there used to be a herder thread!

Fraction fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 30, 2012

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Well, there was a herding dog thread, but it died off a while ago, and there is the hunting dog thread as well. I'm very pro spaniel thread if someone was keen on making one :)

Edit: I've actually been considering making a spaniel/gundog thread anyway, so maybe I'll just start on that.

Edit 2: Here is a link to the herding thread, requires archives.

Invalid Octopus fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 30, 2012

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

You guys should hear Ned growl when he plays tug...I'll have to record it. He sounds like he's either murdering something, or being murdered.

I am also an evil/wrong/dangerous person for letting my friends young boys play tug with him growling like crazy, because you know, him growling means he's angry and going to bite, not just him getting riled up and excited because he loves to play. :rolleyes:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

dog days are over posted:

She's one good looking dog. Nice work!

notsoape posted:

On the other hand, if you're committed to a particular sport it makes sense that you wouldn't want to keep a third wheel hanging around - especially if the sport/hobby takes up most of your free time, and a non-competitive dog would end up being comparatively neglected. I guess I can see both sides, but I'm wondering how PI feels about it?

I might end up getting a puppy from more specific sport lines in a few years time. I can totally see why people would get a dog, get bitten by the sport bug, and then want their next one to be naturally better suited to it. As long as your "starter dog" is still well taken care of and loving life, I see no problem with it.

I've not seen many agility people getting rid of past dogs to make room for new ones. Competitors have enormously strong bonds with their dogs, and while they may look to upgrade from time to time, they don't dispose of their past dogs. It's more a practice I see with breeders. I've never seen a sport person rehome a dog. Instead, they seem to collect dogs as the years go by. But good care is taken of all of them, and even the old dogs get to run flyball and agility from time to time.

I gotta say though, my non-sport dog is comparatively neglected. She doesn't get the training time my other dog gets, or the long off-leash runs, or the fun weekends out. She's just so low key though, she seems happy just to lounge, and this morning when I took her out for a jog with the rest of us she was not a happy camper. She doesn't have the energy to keep up.

a life less fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 30, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

There's a bully thread, a primitive thread, and general small dog + big dog thread though. Where's the general herder/spaniel/whatever threads? :qq:

VV I forgot there used to be a herder thread!

:colbert: You said GSD, not general threads.

I liked reading the herding thread. The big dog thread is the best thread ever.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:colbert: You said GSD, not general threads.

I liked reading the herding thread. The big dog thread is the best thread ever.

:colbert: Shut up. If it were up to me and I had all the dogs I'd have a thread for every single breed ever.

Yappy rat thread best thread!

a life less posted:

I gotta say though, my non-sport dog is comparatively neglected. She doesn't get the training time my other dog gets, or the long off-leash runs, or the fun weekends out. She's just so low key though, she seems happy just to lounge, and this morning when I took her out for a jog with the rest of us she was not a happy camper. She doesn't have the energy to keep up.

This is the same between my dogs, even though I don't do sports with either (currently, at least). Lola gets anywhere between an hour and a half and three hours of exercise a day, now that university has finished for summer, and Jess gets like half an hour of on-leash exercise. Because she is dumb and old and can't be trusted off lead. I still get accused of ~favouritism~ though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

:colbert: Shut up. If it were up to me and I had all the dogs I'd have a thread for every single breed ever.

Yappy rat thread best thread!

WELL I POST THERE TOO SO.. so.. ...gently caress it, dog superiority! :hf:

I kind of hope we get a thread-for-every-breed-of-everything-ever kind of april fools day one year. PI would be 90 pages long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

WELL I POST THERE TOO SO.. so.. ...gently caress it, dog superiority! :hf:

I kind of hope we get a thread-for-every-breed-of-everything-ever kind of april fools day one year. PI would be 90 pages long.

You really ought to post there more often.

Nori is going to the vet to get jabbed with needles today, yay!

• Locked thread