Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

spidoman posted:

This has been floating around my Mormon friends on facebook.

The poor Mormons are being attacked by the evil academics.

Some wonderful bits:

Being mormon is like being black!

Let's ignore the highest rates of anti-depressants, encouraging wives to stay with abusive or unfaithful husbands, depression and suicides of gay children. Oh and women, if you divorce your husband you can't go to heaven.

No seriously, it's just like being black.

The whole thing just makes me furious, but whatever I'll be all passive-aggressive and complain here.

Who hates Romney because he's Mormon? I can't think of anyone I know who does. I don't want him to be President because his plans are loving terrible. He wants to massively cut taxes to the tune of $5T over the next decade, and add another $2.1T in defense spending on top of that. All on top of our current $1-1.5T a year deficits.

It seriously blows my mind how the party that gets so worked up over the debt and deficit is rallying behind a guy who's plan is make it massively worse. It's not even like he's promising to balance the budget but secretly planning to help out his buddies with massive tax cuts. The entire platform he's running on is "Massive deficit increases to benefit the rich and the MIC."

I guess the Dems and lefties that hate Romney for being Mormon are the same ones who hate Harry Reid for... oh wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

tek79 posted:

It's similar to the 'heat island effect', and not the capital 'G' and capital 'W' global warming that Al Gore made up to save polar bears.

I'm assuming your dad is a global warming denier? Ask him if he thinks this article is true and why it's so funny. Since he perceives the article to shed negative light on "green" technology and that it too can contribute to global warming, you can probably goad him into siding with the climatologists on this one since it fits his political narrative. If you can do that, call him out on it. Not sure what it would accomplish but it could make for some funny backtracking.

Tomahawk posted:

I bet he'd say "well even if it is real, there's obviously nothing we can do about it, plus ill be long dead by the time anything happens!". And then a bald eagle named "gently caress You Got Mine" will fly through the window, land on his shoulder and shed a tear of oil.

His response was something to the likes of "most recordings of temperatures rising in the US, Russia, and Western Europe are made in heat sinks like parking lots or behind buildings. My point of linking this was to illustrate how global climate changed is often erroneously based on local results".

My parents fortunately aren't hardcore right-wing religious nuts (i.e. bad people) or anything, they just unfortunately read into too much Fox News, the blogs of their newscasters, and random tabloids.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

miscellaneous14 posted:

His response was something to the likes of "most recordings of temperatures rising in the US, Russia, and Western Europe are made in heat sinks like parking lots or behind buildings. My point of linking this was to illustrate how global climate changed is often erroneously based on local results".

Except the whole issue isn't based on just temperature increases in the US, Russia and Western Europe; even if the garbage about being in parking lots was true (where the gently caress did he get that from?). It's global temperature increases that are the issue, not just some parking lot in Kansas. Thousands of different points are measured all of the globe, many thousands of which are in the ocean.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Don't we have a global increase in lightning that is tied to global warming?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I wonder what their rates of patricide are.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Not to mention the decline in glaciers as well as comparisons with ice core samples.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Sarion posted:

Except the whole issue isn't based on just temperature increases in the US, Russia and Western Europe; even if the garbage about being in parking lots was true (where the gently caress did he get that from?). It's global temperature increases that are the issue, not just some parking lot in Kansas. Thousands of different points are measured all of the globe, many thousands of which are in the ocean.

It's still a better cop-out than my Uncle's batshit crazy idea that the seasons all shifted by a month each.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's still a better cop-out than my Uncle's batshit crazy idea that the seasons all shifted by a month each.

Didn't you notice when the Earth's axis and/or orbit suddenly changed? :eng101:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Sarion posted:

(where the gently caress did he get that from?)

I don't know but I have a guess. :foxnews:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Sarion posted:

Also, if they were ALWAYS taken in heat sinks, then an increase still means it's getting warmer.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

spidoman posted:

quote:

Just why is it socially acceptable to denigrate and trivialize and insult a class of people as a class of people?

Maybe ask some gay people and see what they think.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

miscellaneous14 posted:

What infuriates me the most about this argument is the implication that the scientists involved were too ignorant to account for the effect.

I'm not sure if this is specifically the argument your uncle was using, but the idea is that someone builds a remote weather monitoring station, the city grows, and eventually envelops it. So you have a predicted increase in temperature at that station because it's gone from semi-wilderness to being in a heat island. Voila, "global warming" explained :smuggo:

...except they've accounted for that effect, and even after removing the expected temperature increase temperatures are still rising. If I remember right, this was the principle argument of one of climate change's biggest opponents, but once he actually looked at the data and did his own analysis he was convinced it was a real phenomenon. Fancy that!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I have a friend on facebook whose profile picture is of him with a big ole grin standing next to Ron Paul. Every other post is blind praise for Ron Paul. For example...

quote:

America's legal system is two-tiered. People with financial resources and social connections get the 'Platinum plan'. Talented lawyers, pragmatic prosecutors, and sympathetic judges, lead to happier outcomes. This is antithetical to the true practice of the rule of law. Real justice by definition cannot be for just us. Ron Paul!

He's not wrong about the justice system, but :raise:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
That's typical of Ron Paul people. Ron Paul identifies a serious problem that other politicians ignore, and then prescribes a loony free market solution.

Billionaires have too much influence on elections: Lower taxes.
Foreign wars are draining our country: Issue letters of Marque.

Banks are ruining America: Gold standard.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
Thankfully SA judiciously formats some of these e-mails, and I'll spare you the accompanying images, so here are two more horrible e-mails!

The Grams posted:

An airplane was about to crash; there were 5 passengers on board, but only 4 parachutes.
> > The first passenger, Sarah Palin said, "I have my own reality show and I am the smartest woman in American history, so America's people don't want me to die." She took the first pack and jumped out of the plane.

> > The second passenger, John McCain, said, "I'm a Senator, and a decorated war hero from an e...lite Navy unit from the United States of America". So he grabbed the second pack and jumped.

> > The third passenger, Barack Obama said, "I am the President of the United States and I am the smartest ever in the history of our country, some even call me the 'Anointed One.' So he grabbed the pack next to him and jumped out.

> > The fourth passenger, Billy Graham said to the fifth passenger, a 10-year-old schoolgirl, "I have lived a full life and served my God the best I could. I will sacrifice my life and let you have the last parachute." > > The little girl said, "That's okay Mr. Graham. There's a parachute left for you. America's smartest President took my schoolbag."

I'm not even going to consider touching the "We're smarter than you are!" "Nuh-uh!" aspect of this thing.

another racist e-mail posted:

The Dot

FINALLY, SOMEONE HAS CLEARED THIS UP.

For centuries, Hindu women have worn a dot on their foreheads. Most of us have naively thought this was connected with tradition or religion, but the Indian embassy in Ottawa has recently revealed the true story. When a Hindu woman gets married, she brings a dowry into the union. On her wedding night, the husband scratches off the dot to see whether he has won a convenience store, a gas station, a donut shop, a taxi cab, or a motel in the United States . If nothing is there, he must remain in India to answer telephones and provide us with Verizon technical advice.

I wish I could say that these spats of racist and overall terrible e-mails are a recent fluke, but good ol' grams has been a forwarding machine with this over the last few years. I honestly wish I didn't think of her as a huge loving racist and having lovely opinions, but jesus it's getting more and more difficult.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

ZappDash posted:

Thankfully SA judiciously formats some of these e-mails, and I'll spare you the accompanying images, so here are two more horrible e-mails!

I'm not even going to consider touching the "We're smarter than you are!" "Nuh-uh!" aspect of this thing.

I heard that joke when it was about the Pope, a boy scout, and GWB. It wasn't all that funny then either.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Dr Snofeld posted:

I heard that joke when it was about the Pope, a boy scout, and GWB. It wasn't all that funny then either.

Heard a different version of the joke that was more generic:
The president, the Pope, and the generalissimo of San Salvador are on a plane which catches fire, and there's only one parachute. President claims that he should get the parachute, as leader of the free world. Pope claims he should get it, as God's representative on Earth. Generalissimo suggests they do it democratically, each man voting for who should get the chute. The other two agree, and the generalissimo grabs the chute and jumps out, saying "I win, 16 votes to 2!"

ETA: Of course, these days Obama would beat el generalissimo to the punch, what with ACORN and all.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 31, 2012

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

darthbob88 posted:

Heard a different version of the joke that was more generic:
The president, the Pope, and the generalissimo of San Salvador are on a plane which catches fire, and there's only one parachute. President claims that he should get the parachute, as leader of the free world. Pope claims he should get it, as God's representative on Earth. Generalissimo suggests they do it democratically, each man voting for who should get the chute. The other two agree, and the generalissimo grabs the chute and jumps out, saying "I win, 16 votes to 2!"

A Scotsman, Englishman, Welshman and Irishman are on a plane when one of its engines gets destroyed, and the pilot tells them that three people will have to jump out so the plane can stay in the air and the others can live.

The Irishman says "For Ireland!" and jumps out.

The Welshman says "For Wales!" and jumps out.

The Scotsman says "For Scotland!" and kicks the Englishman out.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Dr Snofeld posted:

A Scotsman, Englishman, Welshman and Irishman are on a plane when one of its engines gets destroyed, and the pilot tells them that three people will have to jump out so the plane can stay in the air and the others can live.

The Irishman says "For Ireland!" and jumps out.

The Welshman says "For Wales!" and jumps out.

The Scotsman says "For Scotland!" and kicks the Englishman out.

A Californian, a Texan, and an Oregonian are trekking through the desert. Texan pulls a bottle of whisky out of his bag, takes a long drink, then throws the bottle in the air and shoots it before it hits the ground. His companions ask him why he did that, and he explains "We've got so much whiskey in Texas, we can afford to waste it." Californian, not to be outdone, takes a bottle of wine from his pack, drains most of it, then throws the bottle up and shoots it in the air. "We've got so much wine," he says. Oregonian pulls a can of Pepsi from his pack, drains it, then puts the can in his pack and shoots the Californian. "We've got so many Californians, but the can's worth a nickel".

Edit: Scotsman, Irishman, and Englishman are out walking when they find a lamp, they rub it, and a genie comes out, offers them each a wish. Irishman asks for a bottle that always has whiskey in it. Genie waves his hands, and the Irishman has an everfull bottle of whiskey, so he goes off happy. Englishman asks for a wall all around England, to keep her safe from outside threats. Genie waves his hands and POOF, giant wall around England. Englishman goes off happy. Scotsman asks the genie, "This wall, how tall is it? And how thick?" Genie answers "150 feet tall, 20 feet thick, quite marvelously impervious to everything." Scotsman says, "Fill it with water."

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 31, 2012

Cacatua
Jan 17, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

What infuriates me the most about this argument is the implication that the scientists involved were too ignorant to account for the effect.

Yes. This also applies to the argument that there can't be any global warming due to human activities because "the Earth's temperature has always fluctuated."

What makes people think that climatologists don't know that and don't take it into effect in their models? The people who conduct and organize large studies on climate change have typically studied the topic for years (often decades).

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I can only attribute it to rampant anti-intellectualism, the idea that "anything you can do I can do better, despite never studied or trained in the subject" plus a healthy dose of prideful ignorance.

They're self-reinforcing; I don't need to learn, I know everything - [other] people don't know anything, I can learn it based on what I already know!

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach

DarkHorse posted:

I can only attribute it to rampant anti-intellectualism, the idea that "anything you can do I can do better, despite never studied or trained in the subject" plus a healthy dose of prideful ignorance.

They're self-reinforcing; I don't need to learn, I know everything - [other] people don't know anything, I can learn it based on what I already know!

I just had an argument on a chatroom with this guy who claimed he had a biology degree. He was busy sprouting gems like "you can't prove evolution, it requires faith" "how do we know evolution is real when we haven't seen any new species evolving in the last 100 years" "we've never seen any evidence of positive mutation. Mutation only leads to cancer and extra body parts" "oh that's not positive mutation, that'd just adaptation" :bang:

Anti-intellectualism, stupidity and blatant lying. FFS.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

darthbob88 posted:

Edit: Scotsman, Irishman, and Englishman are out walking when they find a lamp, they rub it, and a genie comes out, offers them each a wish. Irishman asks for a bottle that always has whiskey in it. Genie waves his hands, and the Irishman has an everfull bottle of whiskey, so he goes off happy. Englishman asks for a wall all around England, to keep her safe from outside threats. Genie waves his hands and POOF, giant wall around England. Englishman goes off happy. Scotsman asks the genie, "This wall, how tall is it? And how thick?" Genie answers "150 feet tall, 20 feet thick, quite marvelously impervious to everything." Scotsman says, "Fill it with water."
In Minnesota, they tell this story about Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Except the Iowan asks for fertile fields because Iowans are goody two-shoes who love corn.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

If you wanna argue with people who are batshit and know very little about anything, the free college football messageboard on rivals.com is allowing political posts since its the off-season

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=1144&fid=2150&style=

It's a cornucopia of people with no sense at all.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That's typical of Ron Paul people. Ron Paul identifies a serious problem that other politicians ignore, and then prescribes a loony free market solution.

Billionaires have too much influence on elections: Lower taxes.
Foreign wars are draining our country: Issue letters of Marque.

Banks are ruining America: Gold standard.

I'm thinking that many Paulites don't actually know what most of Ron Paul's plans actually are. These people agree with Paul in his identification of problems, but then they just stop paying attention or don't seek out his entire platform. They think, "Well, this guy just did a great job of figuring out what our problems are, so he must be the right guy to solve them."

Paul is quite obviously an insane, hateful rear end in a top hat, but Paulites are either assholes just like him, ashamed of their ignorance of his terrible positions, or just in denial about his terrible ideas. I've seen all three of these states, so I know that are at least a few people like this.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

darthbob88 posted:

A Californian, a Texan, and an Oregonian are trekking through the desert. Texan pulls a bottle of whisky out of his bag, takes a long drink, then throws the bottle in the air and shoots it before it hits the ground. His companions ask him why he did that, and he explains "We've got so much whiskey in Texas, we can afford to waste it." Californian, not to be outdone, takes a bottle of wine from his pack, drains most of it, then throws the bottle up and shoots it in the air. "We've got so much wine," he says. Oregonian pulls a can of Pepsi from his pack, drains it, then puts the can in his pack and shoots the Californian. "We've got so many Californians, but the can's worth a nickel".

I've heard this joke but with a Canadian, a Wisconsinite and a Michigander and when the Michigander shoots the Canadian he gets a dime for the empty bottle of Molson :smug:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Soviet Commubot posted:

I've heard this joke but with a Canadian, a Wisconsinite and a Michigander and when the Michigander shoots the Canadian he gets a dime for the empty bottle of Molson :smug:

This joke doesn't work; I can't imagine ever seeing a bottle of Molson empty.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Bruce Leroy posted:

I'm thinking that many Paulites don't actually know what most of Ron Paul's plans actually are. These people agree with Paul in his identification of problems, but then they just stop paying attention or don't seek out his entire platform. They think, "Well, this guy just did a great job of figuring out what our problems are, so he must be the right guy to solve them."

Paul is quite obviously an insane, hateful rear end in a top hat, but Paulites are either assholes just like him, ashamed of their ignorance of his terrible positions, or just in denial about his terrible ideas. I've seen all three of these states, so I know that are at least a few people like this.

If you see this don't be afraid to drop The Paul Bomb.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Countblanc posted:

This joke doesn't work; I can't imagine ever seeing a bottle of Molson empty.

You don't want to turn it in full, that's just rude.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
Hah, holy hell, it's loving terrible that Ron Paul would rather let any and all companies continue to do business in Sudan then let government interfere with LOL FREE MARKET.

How, exactly, would the "free market" decide to get rid of this/work out? Or does Ron Paul not give a poo poo about literal human slave labor in exchange for profits?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dradien posted:

How, exactly, would the "free market" decide to get rid of this/work out? Or does Ron Paul not give a poo poo about literal human slave labor in exchange for profits?

Consumer boycotts, the same way the free market ended racism in the 60s.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's pretty simple really. You're poor like most of America. You hear that the corporation making all of your cheap clothes uses slave labor. You have three options, continue supporting the slave labor and continue to have clothing. Or buy the expensive clothes not made by slave labor, and save money by not eating so much. Positive side to that, you wear smaller clothes which should cost less. Or if everyone is using slave labor, then boycott all clothing and go to work nude. Get fired, die on the streets. FREE MARKET!

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

spidoman posted:

It's pretty simple really. You're poor like most of America. You hear that the corporation making all of your cheap clothes uses slave labor. You have three options, continue supporting the slave labor and continue to have clothing. Or buy the expensive clothes not made by slave labor, and save money by not eating so much. Positive side to that, you wear smaller clothes which should cost less. Or if everyone is using slave labor, then boycott all clothing and go to work nude. Get fired, die on the streets. FREE MARKET!

Clothing is a bad example because Goodwill/Salvation Army exists.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

babies havin rabies posted:

Clothing is a bad example because Goodwill/Salvation Army exists.

True, but if everyone had to use them in order to boycott slave labor clothes they couldn't keep up with the demand.

Its too bad that we don't have some means to collectively say, "this isn't right and we won't import stuff made in this way".

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol

poopy pee pee fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 17, 2016

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You realize any time a boycott is even hinted at these days, Fox News accuses the boycotters of inhibiting the companies freedom of speech.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hope your Christian or want to be one.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

lancemantis posted:

Hope your Christian or want to be one.

You can buy poo poo at the salvation army thrift stores and they don't make you show your christian card. The employees there are bored retail slaves who get the added pleasure of dealing with crazy ladies trying to haggle a quarter off of a 50 cent cat food bowl. They're not missionaries.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Grem posted:

You realize any time a boycott is even hinted at these days, Fox News accuses the boycotters of inhibiting the companies freedom of speech.

Pretty sure he was joking anyways. Not that the boycotts weren't important to the Civil Rights movement; but they didn't "end racism". And, if anything they served more to bring attention to the issue at a political level, which is where the important changes still took place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Senor Gato posted:

They have a similar one in Florida, but it's a sinking boat with everyone throwing stuff overboard to stay afloat instead. A Frenchman throws his bottles of wine overboard because they have so much wine in France, a Cuban throws his cigars overboard because they have so many cigars in Cuba, and a Floridian throws the Cuban overboard.
I assume that after that, the Cuban climbs back in the boat, and everything is really awkward.