Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Didn't see this until recently:

ABB Develops 1.2MV Circuit Breaker

1200kV Dead Tank Breaker

Wow. The end connector has five separate corona rings. :psyduck::hf::science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Three-Phase posted:

Didn't see this until recently:

ABB Develops 1.2MV Circuit Breaker

1200kV Dead Tank Breaker

Wow. The end connector has five separate corona rings. :psyduck::hf::science:
I don't think I've ever seen a diagram of a high voltage interrupter. What do they look like inside?

5 corona rings is a bit insane!

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

A guy claims to have made a DIY Tesla gun: http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/13/3017796/diy-tesla-gun-rob-flickenger

Would this even work? Wouldn't it just ground through the easiest path, which could very well be the operator?

Edit: Don't bother with the video, it doesn't demonstrate it.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

ruro posted:

A guy claims to have made a DIY Tesla gun: http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/13/3017796/diy-tesla-gun-rob-flickenger

Would this even work? Wouldn't it just ground through the easiest path, which could very well be the operator?

Edit: Don't bother with the video, it doesn't demonstrate it.

This site has diagrams on tesla coils:

http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/operation.html

It looks like it's really just a Tesla coil that's portable. That ground connection does not need to be a physical earth, it could basically just be connecting the center tap of the HV transformer to the ground of the secondary coil.

The biggest hazards would probably be internal. My guess is the battery drives a small inverter (DC to AC), and then the AC is run through a neon sign transformer or similar device to get HV out. The problem there is that the HV would probably be current limited, but still very hazardous.

As far as the HV coil output, the problem there is that the frequency is so high the body doesn't detect that energy. However it can still cause "RF burns". If you "shoot" someone with if, I doubt you're going to kill them. If you build it shoddily or play with the step-up transformer, that could be dangerous.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 13, 2012

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
My buddy The Proc suggested I cross-post this here from my thread. Maybe you could offer some advice on whether this is reasonable!

Here's what I (occasionally) work with:

I know I'm big on saving lives and all that, but sometimes our health & safety unit goes overboard. I got an email this afternoon that says we're going to need special protective equipment from now on if we go into a signal cabinet, even if we're just looking over the flashing lights or changing phase timings. Note that signal cabinets have significantly better wiring and grounding than the circuit breakers in almost any house, and they're 120 VAC max.

So, what kind of safety equipment are we talking?

This arc flash suit (we're leasing them, so I won't get to attach my own cool decals) PLUS a retroreflective hard hat PLUS safety glasses underneath PLUS a type III retroreflective shirt PLUS heavy gloves PLUS insulated steel-toed boots.

It's going to be a lot of fun in Summer, especially if you're the third guy to wear it that day. You didn't think we'd each be getting our own, did you?

There is a silver lining, though: I am going to pull SO many pranks in that suit, like frantically waving at drivers from atop an overpass, and going to restaurants all dolled up like that.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Cichlidae posted:

So, what kind of safety equipment are we talking?

hahahaha, no, you don't have to wear that for a typical 120V cabinet. You'd have to have an engineer run calcs for available fault current to be sure, but you're probably looking at class 0 (non-melting street clothes like jeans and a long-sleeve cotton shirt, safety glasses, and leather gloves). At worst, you'd need to don 4 or 8cal flash-rated clothing that's otherwise indistinguishable from a pair of dickies along with a face-shield hardhat and leather shoes.

For the actual regs, check out NFPA-70E. The rules vary depending on what you're doing and the arc fault potential. You need one level to open the door, another if you're standing 3' back when someone else opens it, something else if you're connecting equipment, and the worst-case only if you're actively grabbing and working with energized conductors.

grover fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 16, 2012

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I would be very surprised if that was anything over Level 0.

And now for something completely different:

Switchgear and cool jazz

Removing links LIVE at 138kV

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 16, 2012

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!
Looking at the equipment (signal cabinet), you'd probably be at a category 0 most of the time, possibly category 1 if you're exposing yourself to live conductors.

This is with the assumption that the available fault current is under 25kA and the upstream protective device will clear in two cycles.

When in doubt, have someone do a study.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I was talking to a guy at work about PPE requirements. He told me that NFPA 70E only applied to facility wiring, not to appliance wiring (i.e. anything with a UL sticker on it).

I know this guy will make stuff up just to show how "smart" he is. Is basis in reality for this?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Guy Axlerod posted:

I was talking to a guy at work about PPE requirements. He told me that NFPA 70E only applied to facility wiring, not to appliance wiring (i.e. anything with a UL sticker on it).

I know this guy will make stuff up just to show how "smart" he is. Is basis in reality for this?

Are you talking about equipment that would be directly wired into an electrical system at a lower voltage (<600V) that still bears the UL sticker? Are you wiring up live, or testing live equipment with protective covers removed?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 16, 2012

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I don't really know much about electricity, but that live link removal video :stare:

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
So does anyone know about arc fault (AFCI) breakers?

I just bought a new house and it came with arc fault breakers, which so far I've had to get 3 of them replaced with regular breakers because they kept tripping during normal operation.

My electrician claims that they kind of suck. He says he puts them in there to start with because it's what inspectors like to see, but usually he'll end up having to come back out and replace some of them because they trip when they're not supposed to. Is he full of poo poo?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

the nicker posted:

So does anyone know about arc fault (AFCI) breakers?

I just bought a new house and it came with arc fault breakers, which so far I've had to get 3 of them replaced with regular breakers because they kept tripping during normal operation.

My electrician claims that they kind of suck. He says he puts them in there to start with because it's what inspectors like to see, but usually he'll end up having to come back out and replace some of them because they trip when they're not supposed to. Is he full of poo poo?
Your new house is probably full of wiring errors, no doubt due to your electrician miswiring poo poo. They should NOT be tripping during normal use, and it's illegal to remove required AFCIs and replace them with normal breakers. Tell him to fix the loving wiring faults or you'll report him to the city and have his license revoked.

If he suspects a bad AFCI, swap it out with another. Test with known good power sources, like simple lamps. If it trips when you plug a lamp it, it's most likely a ground-neutral fault.

grover fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 16, 2012

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Yeah, in short replacing a properly installed, post 2005-ish AFCI that trips with a regular breaker is sort-of like taking a piece of electrical tape and putting it over the "CHECK ENGINE" light on your car.

Except the car will probably not catch on fire and destroy your house or kill you/your family in your sleep.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Captain Foo posted:

I don't really know much about electricity, but that live link removal video :stare:

HIS FACE at 3:27. In his brain it's either:

"This is stupid, we're going to die. I'm going to die."

Or:

"Dammit I'm going to miss Eurovision if this takes more than an hour. poo poo."

That 132kV bus probably feeds something really important. Like the biggest googly-eye plant in Germany. That's a load they just can not afford to shutdown!

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 16, 2012

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

Are you talking about equipment that would be directly wired into an electrical system at a lower voltage (<600V) that still bears the UL sticker? Are you wiring up live, or testing live equipment with protective covers removed?

This is 480 VAC equipment, testing operation and verifying input voltage, etc.

Also, whoever decided to put 24V, 120V, and 480V all in the same cabinet in this equipment was a moron. They probably also got a pat on the back for saving the company money.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Guy Axlerod posted:

Also, whoever decided to put 24V, 120V, and 480V all in the same cabinet in this equipment was a moron. They probably also got a pat on the back for saving the company money.

Could be worse. (24VDC, 120VAC, 600VAC, 600VDC)

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

grover posted:

Your new house is probably full of wiring errors, no doubt due to your electrician miswiring poo poo. They should NOT be tripping during normal use, and it's illegal to remove required AFCIs and replace them with normal breakers. Tell him to fix the loving wiring faults or you'll report him to the city and have his license revoked.

If he suspects a bad AFCI, swap it out with another. Test with known good power sources, like simple lamps. If it trips when you plug a lamp it, it's most likely a ground-neutral fault.

Is there anything I can check myself to verify this before calling them back and accusing them of being idiots? I did of course have the house inspected and the electrical passed without issue. He tested the ground at every outlet and also poked around inside the breaker box.

The first one would trip randomly when I had my entertainment system going (tv, receiver, cable box, ps3 etc).

The second one would trip if I flipped on the flood lights at night (2 sets of motion-sensing floods with 2 150-watt bulbs each).

The third was in the kitchen and would flip if I plugged the vacuum into one of the outlets (vacuum worked fine in any other area of the house).

What specifically could cause that? Other than a faulty AFCI, but seems weird that 3 out of 8 or so would be bad right out of the box.

edit: Come to think of it, the three AFCI breakers that were tripping were all for circuits that also had GFCI outlets. The kitchen, guest bath (same circuit that my entertainment wall is on), and master bath (i remember them telling me that the flood lights in the back were also on the GFCI circuit in the master bath). Coincidence? I'll verify that when I get home. However in each case it was the AFCI in the breaker box that was tripping, I've never had a GFCI outlet trip.

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 17, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

the nicker posted:

Is there anything I can check myself to verify this before calling them back and accusing them of being idiots? I did of course have the house inspected and the electrical passed without issue. He tested the ground at every outlet and also poked around inside the breaker box.

The first one would trip randomly when I had my entertainment system going (tv, receiver, cable box, ps3 etc).

The second one would trip if I flipped on the flood lights at night (2 sets of motion-sensing floods with 2 150-watt bulbs each).

The third was in the kitchen and would flip if I plugged the vacuum into one of the outlets (vacuum worked fine in any other area of the house).

What specifically could cause that? Other than a faulty AFCI, but seems weird that 3 out of 8 or so would be bad right out of the box.

edit: Come to think of it, the three AFCI breakers that were tripping were all for circuits that also had GFCI outlets. The kitchen, guest bath (same circuit that my entertainment wall is on), and master bath (i remember them telling me that the flood lights in the back were also on the GFCI circuit in the master bath). Coincidence? I'll verify that when I get home. However in each case it was the AFCI in the breaker box that was tripping, I've never had a GFCI outlet trip.
Sounds to me like the electrician done hosed up somewhere. Whether the GFCI or the AFCI would trip would depend where the wiring fault is.

You could swap a known good AFCI with one that's tripping and see if the "good" one starts tripping and the "bad" one suddenly works fine. That's always a good indication of an issue in the circuit. You could also disconnect the ground wire from the panel and see if there is still continuity with the neutral- that's always a good sign of a "he done hosed up".

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Three-Phase posted:

Removing links LIVE at 138kV

That arcing, is that from just the capacitance of the link and breaker?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

grover posted:

Sounds to me like the electrician done hosed up somewhere. Whether the GFCI or the AFCI would trip would depend where the wiring fault is.

You could swap a known good AFCI with one that's tripping and see if the "good" one starts tripping and the "bad" one suddenly works fine. That's always a good indication of an issue in the circuit. You could also disconnect the ground wire from the panel and see if there is still continuity with the neutral- that's always a good sign of a "he done hosed up".

Cool, thanks. I can do that. I've already reported the problem to the builder (the house is under warranty), but I'll do the ground/neutral continuity test before the electrician comes back out. That way, if I find that there's a problem and the electrician tells me everything is fine, I can call him on his bluff.

Also I was wrong about it only being on the circuits with the GFCI outlets.

Another weird thing I've noticed is that it looks like multiple people worked on the wiring. I've opened up 3 of the switch boxes to install timer switches for the bathroom/laundry exhaust fans, and noticed that they're all wired differently. In some boxes, the ground is hoooked up to each switch and in others it's not. Also, in some the wires are completely looped around the terminal screws on the switch, and in some they're straight.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Frozen Horse posted:

That arcing, is that from just the capacitance of the link and breaker?

Yeah. Just capacitance to ground.

It's something important to consider in delta systems. Ideally, the delta has absolutely no reference to ground. However, due to capacitance, there is a (albeit poor) reference to ground.

grover posted:

That "switch components out" trick typically works to eliminate the number of possible problem causes.

We're probably going to do that next week at work. Except the breaker that might be "bad" is as big as a washing machine (7200V, 1200A). The problem may be one of the poles is slow to close or bouncing, causing single-phasing where for a "more than brief" moment only two of the three phases are conducting.

You hear the breaker slam closed, this brief "groaning" noise, and then the breaker trips free within a fraction of a second. Working with this stuff you get a feel for what sounds are normal and what sounds aren't, and it's actually a surprisingly important sense.

As an aside, I was surprised that a YouTube search for "Breaker Pole Closing" results in, among other things, a Wu-Tang Clan song.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 20, 2012

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Is there enough power flowing through lines at street level to cause corona discharge on a really humid day?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

GWBBQ posted:

Is there enough power flowing through lines at street level to cause corona discharge on a really humid day?

I think the corona discharge has more to do with voltage than power flow (correct me if I'm wrong here). I doubt you'd see it on a normal overhead (like 13kV) power line. Maybe on a larger piece of equipment.

If you go near a substation, you may see what looks like metal "halos" or toroids suspended near where connections are made between components. Those create a smoother potential gradient around the equipment. If you have a very sharp point with a high voltage on it, you can generate a corona there.

I've heard people say they've seen glow, and it has been photographed using timed exposure, but I think you'd never be able to see it during the day. Also, in a system you want to avoid corona discharge. It causes interference, can damage insulation, and generate Ozone.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 30, 2012

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!
I've only seen the corona at a 500kV sub after a good rain on a very humid day. Even then it was pretty faint, but still cool to see (and hear).

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

SeaBass posted:

I've only seen the corona at a 500kV sub after a good rain on a very humid day. Even then it was pretty faint, but still cool to see (and hear).

I was walking under lines (I think about 345kV) on a warm, humid day and I couldn't see but I could clearly hear the buzzing from the corona.

Check it out: corona cam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFI3Ielbyx8

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

SeaBass posted:

Wow, I just found a video of 500kV corona at a substation! It's beautiful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNTdBVg35-Y

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

Three-Phase posted:

Yep, that's pretty much what we saw.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
They really should have put a ring on it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Three-Phase posted:

I was walking under lines (I think about 345kV) on a warm, humid day and I couldn't see but I could clearly hear the buzzing from the corona.

I used to live under some high tension lines that ran through the middle of an apartment complex; the buzzing on a humid night was really something. Also fun to walk out there with a florescent light bulb and freak out the neighbors.

Why yes, this was a very low rent/ghetto complex, how did you know?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

some texas redneck posted:

Why yes, this was a very low rent/ghetto complex, how did you know?

Not to get too political, but I've been told this is why you see cancer clusters under power lines:

Power lines and substations are NIMBY - Not In My BackYard. The land values under there drop like a rock. People with less money live there, and unfortunately there are some medical conditions, like cancer, that you're statistically more susceptible to by being in a lower tax bracket.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

I think the corona discharge has more to do with voltage than power flow (correct me if I'm wrong here). I doubt you'd see it on a normal overhead (like 13kV) power line. Maybe on a larger piece of equipment.

If you go near a substation, you may see what looks like metal "halos" or toroids suspended near where connections are made between components. Those create a smoother potential gradient around the equipment. If you have a very sharp point with a high voltage on it, you can generate a corona there.

I've heard people say they've seen glow, and it has been photographed using timed exposure, but I think you'd never be able to see it during the day. Also, in a system you want to avoid corona discharge. It causes interference, can damage insulation, and generate Ozone.
So any buzzing caused on street lines is probably from a transformer?

Three-Phase posted:

If you're ever in Boston and have some free time, check out the electricity show at the Museum of Science. They have a massive van de Graff generator that puts out enough voltage to get a replica of Ben Franklin's kite glowing clearly under dimmed lights, plus the huge spark discharges to object including the cage the presenter is in (to demonstrate the skin effect.)

Three-Phase posted:

Not to get too political, but I've been told this is why you see cancer clusters under power lines:

Power lines and substations are NIMBY - Not In My BackYard. The land values under there drop like a rock. People with less money live there, and unfortunately there are some medical conditions, like cancer, that you're statistically more susceptible to by being in a lower tax bracket.
Cancer clusters are statistical anomalies. A country with enough communities is going to have at least a few with higher-than-average cancer rates, and no amount of statistical analysis will convince a public with minimal math education that it's all a matter of chance. [urk=http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CFgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FThe-Drunkards-Walk-Randomness-Rules%2Fdp%2F0375424040&ei=fmbNT57XDPD06AGpqYygAw&usg=AFQjCNEGgN8gm_tKNS0Tg6npxyLBlFHbgQ]This book[/url] addresses the subject.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

GWBBQ posted:

Buzzing does not necessarily mean there's corona. When I did transformer testing, when you had a lot of power running through a transformer (couple hundred KVA 4160 to some lower voltage) you could hear it vibrate as more current moved through it.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

GWBBQ posted:

Depends on the hum. A 60hz hum (very low hum) is the result of sticking a lot of AC down a wire - it induces an alternating magnetic field, which rags the conductor towards and away from any other current in the vicinity. Transformers are particularly susceptible, as they're effectively a pair of drat great electromagnets, but the wiring in your walls can generate it too.

If it's not a low hum but a crackling, that's corona discharge.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 6, 2012

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I got a new position out of the office as a project engineer at a mill. There's some serious power there, a line-up of 8 ball mills and two rod mill that are 2000hp each. There's also a SAG mill that's run by two 5500hp motors, and this is all in the grinding aisle, still plenty more of the plant to check out. I haven't had time to check out the type of starters or the voltage their running at, but it's all pretty cool stuff.

The place was constructed between 1940-1960 and there's a huge amount of upgrades it's going through and I'm hoping there's a lot of electrical ones. Right now I'm working on projects to upgrade this plant plus another two smaller ones to Allen-Bradley Flex I/Os from the outdated PROVOX DCS and PLC5s. Not as cool as high voltage but it's a pretty large project regardless.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I'd be interested in hearing about what you have. At 5000HP you could have synchronous or induction motors. I'm guessing no less than 2400V (for 5000HP 2.4kV may mean parallel cables), maybe 4160V or 7200V?

It's been interesting to see the evolution from the most primitive PLCs (replacement for cabinets full of relay logic) to more robust control systems (adding analog I/O, PID loops) to networking (Fieldbus, PROFIBUS, DeviceNET) to the most modern systems (Ethernet, Wireless, Remote/IO and Distributed Control).

BONUS! MV SWITCHGEAR FROM MERLIN GERIN!
Photo from Schneider Electric
:psyduck::hf::france::hf::science:
This is some of the weirdest looking gear I think I've ever seen.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Three-Phase posted:

BONUS! MV SWITCHGEAR FROM MERLIN GERIN!
Photo from Schneider Electric
:psyduck::hf::france::hf::science:
This is some of the weirdest looking gear I think I've ever seen.
MGE sells components to 3rd parties who fabricate the switchgear in their garage (often figuratively, surprisingly often, literally, though). There seems to be little rhyme nor reason nor consistency between design of MGE switchgear in various parts of the world; it's at the whim of whomever is fabricating it. It makes you really appreciate how well we have it with standardized mass-produced gear here in the US.

One of Schneider Electric's regional headquarters (of a multi-national overseas region I'll not name) is literally in a house, as in a housing development mcmansion in the middle of a residential suburb, with normal homes on all sides. Apparently, zoning laws are lax in that country and it was cheaper than an office building. Even has a garage to do the work in right on-site!

grover fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 7, 2012

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

I'd be interested in hearing about what you have. At 5000HP you could have synchronous or induction motors. I'm guessing no less than 2400V (for 5000HP 2.4kV may mean parallel cables), maybe 4160V or 7200V?

In most of the mills I've worked at (steel or aluminum), the main motors (5-10MW range) were either 3300V or 4160V, depending on whose drives were being used. Of course, I've never seen a motor that big on a starter, since everything I've seen has required fairly precise speed control for process reasons.

Parallel cables are almost always used on a motor of this size, IME.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

KaiserBen posted:

In most of the mills I've worked at (steel or aluminum), the main motors (5-10MW range) were either 3300V or 4160V, depending on whose drives were being used. Of course, I've never seen a motor that big on a starter, since everything I've seen has required fairly precise speed control for process reasons.

Parallel cables are almost always used on a motor of this size, IME.

10MW at 4160V is a hell of a lot of current. 1300A would definitely require parallel cable connections like 4 per phase. What was the inrush for a motor like that starting across the line? 10kA?

I've seen some motors that were above 4160V to 13800V that used a single triplex HV cable, like 15kV Okogaurd shielded cable. 500kcmil at 13.8kV, unity power factor, in a cable tray at 105C, we're talking about 12MW in a single (albiet rather large and heavy) cable tray cable. Moving them about is a challenge, and you need to connect them to busses very carefully.

500 feet of the 500kcmil triplex stuff weighs nearly two tons. We had a parallel 500kcmil run (2 x triplex, six conductors total) and the spool that it came in on was more than ten feet in diameter. We treated that spool with immense respect because of how much it weighed. :psyduck:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

10MW at 4160V is a hell of a lot of current. 1300A would definitely require parallel cable connections like 4 per phase. What was the inrush for a motor like that starting across the line? 10kA?

I've seen some motors that were above 4160V to 13800V that used a single triplex HV cable, like 15kV Okogaurd shielded cable. 500kcmil at 13.8kV, unity power factor, in a cable tray at 105C, we're talking about 12MW in a single (albiet rather large and heavy) cable tray cable. Moving them about is a challenge, and you need to connect them to busses very carefully.

500 feet of the 500kcmil triplex stuff weighs nearly two tons. We had a parallel 500kcmil run (2 x triplex, six conductors total) and the spool that it came in on was more than ten feet in diameter. We treated that spool with immense respect because of how much it weighed. :psyduck:

Yeah, they usually used 6 cables, not 100% sure, but they were 500kcm range. The inrush was limited by the drive, we try not to start such things across the line, for obvious reasons. Even on a VFD, it routinely pulled 300% current (for <one minute, as per the overload capability) as a slab went through the mill. I'd honestly have to check for the currents, we almost always deal in terms of per unit power/percentages, so raw amps generally have to be calculated.

I'm on a much less exciting (power-wise) project now, automating container cranes; lots of cool automation equipment (laser measurement scanners especially), but the power requirements are pretty small (1MW per crane or so, 5-6 for the ship-to-shore cranes). Each crane is fed from an 11kV cable trailing behind it that gets wound up on a reel as it moves down the track. Interesting stuff, but I prefer the steel industry overall.

• Locked thread