Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lotish posted:

You can combine while at the inn because your storage is right there. Unfortunately if you're out in the field I don't know of a way to use the materials in storage. Several times I'll pick something up and try to combine it with something I know I have in storage, but it'll say "...if you had the materials."

Frankly I'm curious if there are any indespensible combinations. I haven't done many because I tend to save my stuff for enhancing gear.

Oh, I get it now, thanks. That makes more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tooooooo bad posted:

You get a massive discount from his shop. If he ends up guilty you get nothing.

e: also if you haven't gotten the Gold Idol yet it will lock you out of it.

It locks you out if he's found guilty only?

Who should I give it to? Caxton or Madeleine?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

I remember someone way earlier in the thread saying you can craft using stored materials without going to get them or something. Is that true or should you keep certain things on your character?

You can enhance without having to go get the materials from storage. Not craft.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Scott Bakula posted:

It locks you out if he's found guilty only?

Who should I give it to? Caxton or Madeleine?

I got the Gold Idol before the trial but I assume that he will still offer the babysitting quest afterward if he's found not-guilty. Otherwise he'll be dead.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Lotish posted:

Frankly I'm curious if there are any indespensible combinations. I haven't done many because I tend to save my stuff for enhancing gear.
Harspbud Sauce/Juice + Nuts => Incenses that heal the entire party, or restore stamina to the entire party.

They are my go-to "HOLY CRAP!" button, for when half my party gets wiped by something surprisingly tough. Or when we stumble into a bandit camp at night.

Saint Freak posted:

You can enhance without having to go get the materials from storage. Not craft.
You still don't need to keep the items on your person, though. Dump everything into storage, and then at an inn, use the "combine" option in their menu. This lets you do all your item combinations while all your heavy components sit in storage.

This does mean that you can't craft on the road, but that's fine. Ingredients are heavy. You should be building whatever you need for a journey ahead of time, and then just taking that.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So now that I have 20 wakestones, what do I do now?

I don't think I've cleared out All of the Everfall's Chambers and I haven't really explored Post-Dragon Gransys, so what should be a priority now?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

tooooooo bad posted:

I got the Gold Idol before the trial but I assume that he will still offer the babysitting quest afterward if he's found not-guilty. Otherwise he'll be dead.

I understand he'll let you babysit Symone before all that, but is there a particular time that quest starts? I paid him a visit after buying the land and neither he nor Symone had a quest.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Count Bleck posted:

I don't think I've cleared out All of the Everfall's Chambers and I haven't really explored Post-Dragon Gransys, so what should be a priority now?

On a similar note does anyone know what chamber the hydra spawns in?

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart

Scott Bakula posted:

Where do I get them from? The Black Cat?

It was some guy I found wandering around the weapons shop.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Luminaflare posted:

On a similar note does anyone know what chamber the hydra spawns in?

Hesitation, I am now learning the hard way oh my loving god.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Seriously why the gently caress am I being constantly arrested. Its happened twice since seeing the duke and I've not committed any crimes.

Is it because of the incognito mask I'm wearing?

Edit: gently caress, did I screw myself out of the Gold Idol by doing the babysit quest too early?

Jose fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 30, 2012

Shardok
Jan 12, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

My suggestion: Find and fight the Ur-Dragon. He's on a narrow edge. Find and fight one of each of the special enemies you find here. Find the rare item merchants in the Everfall and hopefully have enough gold to buy some. Now leave the Everfall and maybe do some of the quests you haven't done just to get some exploring out of the way. Most of it looks pretty similar to how it looked before the Dragon, but it is still worth checking out.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Scott Bakula posted:

Seriously why the gently caress am I being constantly arrested. Its happened twice since seeing the duke and I've not committed any crimes.

Is it because of the incognito mask I'm wearing?

I keep trying to seduce women (Hell if I'm getting creepy witch girl as my love interest) and I wind up zapping them with my staff.

It'd be hilarious, if it wasn't for the guards dragging me off every time.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Scott Bakula posted:

Going into the castle at night counts as a crime according to the tooltip that popped up when I went to the castle at night.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

How do you know who is currently leashed as your "love interest." If I'm going to get anyone, I'd like it to be Mercedes because the other girls in the story are, well...

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lotish posted:

How do you know who is currently leashed as your "love interest." If I'm going to get anyone, I'd like it to be Mercedes because the other girls in the story are, well...

You hear a jingle and a big, pink cloud when you talk to them. If you want to secure that person just give them the wed... Arisen Ring.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Oh ffs, I've got a golden egg instead of a gold idol. Hopefully there isn't too much difference between silver and gold

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So, post game content is a little hard, gently caress me is the Hydra in the Everfall hard, all my pawns were swallowed up before I knew what was going on, Fighters are totally useless in that fight I've decicded, back to Warriors, they can actually climb stuff.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
What's worse is that if you end up swallowed you're pretty much hosed since pawns are too stupid to help you. It was pretty unnerving seeing my guy slowly go down it's gullet.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Judge Tesla posted:

So, post game content is a little hard, gently caress me is the Hydra in the Everfall hard, all my pawns were swallowed up before I knew what was going on, Fighters are totally useless in that fight I've decicded, back to Warriors, they can actually climb stuff.

I climbed on poo poo just fine as a fighter. Maybe you need to work out more. :colbert:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
So friend's Pawns are free of covenant charge, thats cool.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

Lotish posted:

Supposedly its the first person whose affinity you've maxed out, but if you do Aelinore's quest line you're stuck with her. I had the pink cloud thing on 5 different NPCs, so I don't think thats the best indicator. Its really just 1 short scene and a tiny bit of dialogue so its not a big deal.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Malachite posted:

Supposedly its the first person whose affinity you've maxed out, but if you do Aelinore's quest line you're stuck with her. I had the pink cloud thing on 5 different NPCs, so I don't think thats the best indicator. Its really just 1 short scene and a tiny bit of dialogue so its not a big deal.

No, it's the LAST person whose affinity you max out, or the person you give the bond to.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Lotish posted:

Wait what? I've been doing some quests with the witch chick unknowingly of this, I dont want to be creepy pedo arisen.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I did the babysitting quest and lost the footrace, but all I got was a golden egg. Can I get the idol some other way?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

My golden egg turned rotten and I'm locked out of the gold idol :thumbsup:

Seriously was a lovely thing to have in the game

Hostage Pokemon
Dec 29, 2011

Wise as a wizard
Quick as a viper
I finally found Witchwood. I'm level 48.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Does it matter who I turn the silver idol over to?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

a foolish pianist posted:

I did the babysitting quest and lost the footrace, but all I got was a golden egg. Can I get the idol some other way?
Nope. Better reload.

Scott Bakula posted:

Caxton gives better stuff. I would give it to him. Also, you should forge it and hang onto the forgery because it maintains a discount you get from having the idol. This applies to each of the idols.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Funkmaster General posted:

No, it's the LAST person whose affinity you max out, or the person you give the bond to.

There are other perks to raising or maxing affinity, right? With shopkeepers, at least, I've heard that they'll unlock some special items. Sounds like I need to find this bond and make sure I'm...very cool with Aelinore.

Supposedly the babysitting thing can be a bit of a toss up because you have to find her quickly enough during hide and seek, immediately give her water when she's thirsty, and lose the footrace, and some people say you can't attempt it until you get the idol quest in the first place.

The way I play it may be a week before I get to that point, but still I fret about loving up. :ohdear:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lotish posted:

I understand he'll let you babysit Symone before all that, but is there a particular time that quest starts? I paid him a visit after buying the land and neither he nor Symone had a quest.
Hehe, this is probably a broken record by now but that one also unlocked for me immediately after speaking with the duke.

Also like I said, but I am pretty sure all the gear you can get from the idols you can find in chests around the world. I am certainly not going to lose sleep over getting a golden egg. gently caress that daughter anyway, I almost picked her up and threw her in the river.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

http://asia.gamespot.com/dragons-dogma/forum/idol-shop-upgrade-list-with-alternate-locations-62918309/

This has a list of all the idol related items if you're curious which idol gives which. Caxton gives a ton of weapons while Madeline mostly gives strider stuff & female armor.

That list also contains alternate locations of where you can find that equipment in chests if you're concerned about minor spoilers.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Ugh I think I found the blacksmith and I guess we are gay married

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Lotish posted:

Supposedly the babysitting thing can be a bit of a toss up because you have to find her quickly enough during hide and seek, immediately give her water when she's thirsty, and lose the footrace, and some people say you can't attempt it until you get the idol quest in the first place.

Additionally be sure you stay very close to her as she walks about. If she asks if you're trying to ditch her even once you've already hosed up.

It doesn't hurt to have a pawn who's already completed the quest too, as they'll be able to tell you where she's hiding.

The best thing to do is to save at the inn before you try the quest and to throw yourself off a wall and reload to checkpoint if you mess up. Or do quest completion saves count as checkpoint saves? Either way between the two save options you have there must be a way to have a precautionary backup.

e: I got the idol long before Caxton was asking me for it so that's not a prerequisite.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

DrNutt posted:

But thanks to Losonti for the new shield and sweet rapier! No thanks for the three star appearance rating though. :colbert:

I also gave you a full set of dragon forged equipment I got from the Ur-Dragon but apparently it just disappears. :downs:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Something I adore about being super high leveled is that all the pawns wear pretty much the same outfit now. So me and my group are all kitted out in masks with Abyssal gear. It's like The Ur-Team or something.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

tooooooo bad posted:

The best thing to do is to save at the inn before you try the quest and to throw yourself off a wall and reload to checkpoint if you mess up. Or do quest completion saves count as checkpoint saves? Either way between the two save options you have there must be a way to have a precautionary backup.
You can reload to checkpoint through the menu, by the by. Suicide just lets you rollback to the last time any save was made which is probably going to be the inn here.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

drat, running to the catacombs for the second part of the salvation quest didn't end well. 3 skeletons, 2 striders that did masses of damage and 1 mage who kept interrupting my healer

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

SixtySix posted:

Ugh I think I found the blacksmith and I guess we are gay married

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dragon's Dogma: Ugh I think I found the blacksmith and I guess we are gay married

... I love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Funkmaster General posted:

It is the last person, period. I gave Madeleine the bond then did Duchess in Distress and ended up with Aelinore at the end.

• Locked thread