Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

spincube posted:

I really, really hope that the Google Drive app gets some kind of 'export' option. At the moment, the only way of saving Google docs - native Google Documents, not uploaded MS Office documents - as alternate formats is only possible via the desktop webapp.

If I want to print off something I have typed up in Google Docs, I need to login to a nearby PC, download my doc as a PDF, and print it from there. Ideally, I'd like to be able to trigger this from my phone's app - all I'd need to do then would get the PDF off my phone and onto a PC and print it.

It's silly to work around this using only Word documents instead of native Google documents, or expect everyone to have a Cloud Print-enabled printer.

You can set up Cloud Print even if the printer isn't Cloud Print-enabled. But you can only Cloud Print if the document is in Google Docs format and nothing else.

If it is, you can go to Web Mode then print from there. I've tried in other formats and it only works in a Google Docs/Spreadsheet format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
I'm using BeyondPod on my Galaxy Nexus to download/manage/listen to podcasts. Is there a way to prevent the podcasts from showing up in the stock Play Music app?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Venkmanologist posted:

I'm using BeyondPod on my Galaxy Nexus to download/manage/listen to podcasts. Is there a way to prevent the podcasts from showing up in the stock Play Music app?

Add a ".nomedia" file to the directory where the podcasts are stored. The change may not take affect until your sound files are reindexed.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Venkmanologist posted:

You can try adding a .nomedia file to the folder and see if that works. If not, try unchecking "Share Podcasts" in the general settings.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Is there any app that can display information on the cell tower you're connected to? Ideally, I'd be able to see the GPS coordinates or see it on a map.

hamza
Mar 3, 2007
I'm missing a ton of texts when in silent mode on my Galaxy S2 because Vibration Notifier seems to have no effect and I have no notification LED. Any suggestions on how to get my phone to vibrate when WhatsApp receives a text? Switching free SMS programs isn't an option for irrelevant reasons.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ante posted:

Is there any app that can display information on the cell tower you're connected to? Ideally, I'd be able to see the GPS coordinates or see it on a map.

Actually there is!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.technolatry.antennas&feature=search_result

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Is the pre-caching for google maps intentionally gimped or something? I right click, pre-cache a '15 km square area' and later I find it only actually saved maybe 5% of it at the highest zoom level and the rest of it is just a useless mess with unreadable street names. It's already bad enough that it saves no useful location data besides the map itself.

I mean sure it's great that it mirrors the functionality Nokia Maps had 4 years ago... when you have data enabled and probably know where you're going anyways. Its offline abilities are pretty lame.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Something's wrong with yours, that's not how it works normally. It should cache 32 full layers of zoom (if available). Either the connection got broken while it was caching, there's no zoom levels available anyway where you're looking, or yours is broken.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Does anyone have any recommendation for Bill Organizer apps? Ideally, no integration with websites for them. I think I tried BillPay so far and wasn't too big of a fan.

Basically I just want something that I can set the date it's normally due (or set it in however many days are in a billing cycle), the set amount if it's always the same, or blank if it changes month to month, when it's paid, etc.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

So I just switched to a Galaxy Nexus after being an iOS user for 4 years, and I'm loving it!

I can't seem to find a general consensus on using the Chrome beta over the stock browser. I'm simply looking for the best browser performance wise, I don't care if it can sync my browsers or whatever. Is Chrome for ICS simply better?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

sleepness posted:

I can't seem to find a general consensus on using the Chrome beta over the stock browser. I'm simply looking for the best browser performance wise, I don't care if it can sync my browsers or whatever. Is Chrome for ICS simply better?

I can't think of a single reason to use the stock browser over Chrome now that it can request desktop sites.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I vaguely remember being able to use Chrome to Phone to do the opposite and send links from your phone to your browser but I can't seem to find any information on this. Was I dreaming? Is this possible?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sleepness posted:

So I just switched to a Galaxy Nexus after being an iOS user for 4 years, and I'm loving it!

Maybe I'm in the minority but I prefer ICS Browser+ to Chrome just for the quick controls.

Red_Fred posted:

I vaguely remember being able to use Chrome to Phone to do the opposite and send links from your phone to your browser but I can't seem to find any information on this. Was I dreaming? Is this possible?
In Chrome 19 tab syncing can be enabled rendering that obsolete.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

uapyro posted:

Does anyone have any recommendation for Bill Organizer apps? Ideally, no integration with websites for them. I think I tried BillPay so far and wasn't too big of a fan.

Basically I just want something that I can set the date it's normally due (or set it in however many days are in a billing cycle), the set amount if it's always the same, or blank if it changes month to month, when it's paid, etc.

Maybe a separate calendar? Give it a different colour, and it will stand out from your regular schedule. Google Calendar will then handle your bill notifications, too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

Maybe a separate calendar? Give it a different colour, and it will stand out from your regular schedule. Google Calendar will then handle your bill notifications, too.
God I wish Tasks was better. I use that for bills due each month but it's so lovely.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

LastInLine posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I prefer ICS Browser+ to Chrome just for the quick controls.

IMO, Chrome's gestures are faster than the quick controls for the most common operations like tab switching, though I would welcome quick controls if they were implemented.

I also think as an iOS convert, sleepness will probably prefer Chrome because Chrome zooms like Safari and the ICS Browser zooms like something that doesn't zoom very well at all.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

LastInLine posted:

In Chrome 19 tab syncing can be enabled rendering that obsolete.

I don't use Chrome on my phone or on my desktop. Is there another solution?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

This would be perfect, but it looks like 3g hosed everything up. Thanks, though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Red_Fred posted:

I don't use Chrome on my phone or on my desktop. Is there another solution?

If you use FireFox on your desktop, then FF mobile can use FF's sync feature.

Though FF Mobile Beta (the most current one,) is still a little resource heavy.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Any good apps out there that let you use your phone as a second monitor for your PC? I checked out AirDisplay, but the reviews weren't too hot.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

I absolutely love the font of the ics lock screen. Is there any way to get that font into my beautiful Widgets weather widget?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

spincube posted:

That's actually what I've been using.

I was hoping for something a little 'easier' to enter amounts and stuff into

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

God I wish Tasks was better. I use that for bills due each month but it's so lovely.

What's wrong with that? Set recurring dates for bills that don't change and just put new entries in for other bills as you get them in the mail or whatever. I've been doing this for years and it works perfectly. It can even send out reminders over various mediums.

Also, Flipboard for Android leaked out to everyone that isn't running a GSIII.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/12/3016263/leaked-flipboard-app-android-update

I don't get why iOS people are so gaga over this app, just seems like a lazy person's news aggregator. I've already got a well trimmed Google Reader account and I don't see an option to import feeds from it.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 31, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Also, Flipboard for Android leaked out to everyone that isn't running a GSIII.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/12/3016263/leaked-flipboard-app-android-update

I don't get why iOS people are so gaga over this app, just seems like a lazy person's news aggregator. I've already got a well trimmed Google Reader account and I don't see an option to import feeds from it.

The beta's coming soon, apparently and you can sign up for it at http://flipboard.com/android

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

What's wrong with that? Set recurring dates for bills that don't change and just put new entries in for other bills as you get them in the mail or whatever. I've been doing this for years and it works perfectly. It can even send out reminders over various mediums.
Can't share task lists, can't have multiple task lists for multiple things, third party apps need additional third party apps to make Tasks appear in agenda widgets, doesn't integrate into Calendar despite the fact that it should, doesn't have a good web interface for looking back at past completed tasks for record retention, and looks and works like poo poo both on the phone and in the browser.

I do exactly what you say and yes it "suits my needs" but I've seriously considered adopting a new system for it and haven't only because I keep thinking that Google has to improve it eventually because it's just so loving terrible and embarrassing.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Is there anything better than Go Calendar in terms of a monthly calendar widget? I like it, but I have problems switching back to the month view after selecting a day because I suck at hitting the button apparently. I'd like a quick way to see what days I have things scheduled on, and a quick way to bounce in and out of daily/monthly organizer to see the specifics. As it is now I have to try hitting the button ~10 times because either nothing happens or it slides to my next home screen for some reason. This becomes frustrating when I'm trying to compare a bunch of dates in a row.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Google translate just updated with handwriting support and a new UI. The handwriting supports works surprisingly, especially with my crappy finger painted Chinese characters.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...nRyYW5zbGF0ZSJd

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

sleepness posted:

I'm simply looking for the best browser performance wise, I don't care if it can sync my browsers or whatever.

Boat Browser seems to be the fastest of the browsers for me, by a large margin, but I don't have any ICS devices so your mileage may vary.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Speaking of calendars, are there any good, resizable calendar widgets that'd work well on a tablet? I've looked in the market and there doesn't really seem to be any, as they're either mostly geared towards phones or aren't resizable. I just want a nice, homescreen filling calendar on my 10" tablet that I can look at when I want to.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Has WidgetLocker been being wonky (or.. wonkier than normal, I guess) for anyone? Seems like half the time when I wake up my phone (Nexus S 4G running CM9), it'll bring up the lockscreen like normal, but the touchscreen will be unresponsive, then the screen will "blink", be back on the lockscreen, and etc. Usually the only way to make it stop is to hit the back button a lot or turn the screen off and then back on. Never had this problem up until the last month or so, and oddly enough never on my HTC Hero.

Onosy
Oct 2, 2002

I owe wtfd00d 10 bux lol~!!1
Alright, I downloaded tasker yesterday and I'm learning it slowly, but I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to set it so my camera's LED flashes when I get an SMS. If anyone could help me figure this out, I would really appreciate it.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
The context should be event > phone > received text. Then for the task: alert > torch: on, then alert > torch: off. Repeat as needed.

Onosy
Oct 2, 2002

Jervas Dudley posted:

The context should be event > phone > received text. Then for the task: alert > torch: on, then alert > torch: off. Repeat as needed.

Do I need to make a profile for this or what? I'm sorry I'm sooooo confused.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
Yes, make a profile called "SMS Flash Alert" or whatever. Profiles are made of contexts and tasks. It'll ask for a context (which is what triggers the profile's tasks), choose Event, then Phone, then Received Text. There are more detailed options, but by default it will trigger whenever a text is received so hit the checkmark.

Then comes the task. Hit new task, name it if you want to use it again for other profiles, otherwise hit the checkmark. Tasks are made up of one or more actions. Add an action, this will bring up a list of options. The control for the LED for the camera flash is under Alert, then Torch. Under Set choose On. Hit the checkmark. Plus sign to add another action. Same as the first action, except choose Off. You can test an action by hitting the play button in the lower right. It will perform each action in order so you can turn it on and off as many times as you like by making more actions. Hit the checkmark to exit the task edit screen.

There's also a Tasker specific thread.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
edit: too slow

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Onosy posted:

Alright, I downloaded tasker yesterday and I'm learning it slowly, but I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to set it so my camera's LED flashes when I get an SMS. If anyone could help me figure this out, I would really appreciate it.

An app called Light Flow also lets you customize the LED for different types of notifications very simply, very much worth a try.

Onosy
Oct 2, 2002

berzerker posted:

An app called Light Flow also lets you customize the LED for different types of notifications very simply, very much worth a try.

Light flow didn't work, and I've only been able to get tasker to complete it successfully if I had teslaled installed and even then it wouldn't work like I wanted it too. I'm using a moto atrix 2, it just sucks I really wanted this to work.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

a shameful boehner posted:

Speaking of calendars, are there any good, resizable calendar widgets that'd work well on a tablet? I've looked in the market and there doesn't really seem to be any, as they're either mostly geared towards phones or aren't resizable. I just want a nice, homescreen filling calendar on my 10" tablet that I can look at when I want to.

I think that Pure Grid Calendar Widget will do the job, although I've never used it with a tablet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...F9jYWxlbmRhciJd

It is super customize-able, and I think well worth it. Search the reviews to see if its been used on tablets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I Dont Like You posted:

Has WidgetLocker been being wonky (or.. wonkier than normal, I guess) for anyone? Seems like half the time when I wake up my phone (Nexus S 4G running CM9), it'll bring up the lockscreen like normal, but the touchscreen will be unresponsive, then the screen will "blink", be back on the lockscreen, and etc. Usually the only way to make it stop is to hit the back button a lot or turn the screen off and then back on. Never had this problem up until the last month or so, and oddly enough never on my HTC Hero.

It's been wonky for a while for me. It won't always unlock to the most recent app like it's set to, and sometimes it falls out of memory, even on my GNex. I also occasionally get the unresponsive screen; usually pulling down the notification drawer works for me.

• Locked thread