Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
There is no official rpi release yet but they have daily builds available: http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/openelec-rpi/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Got my Zotac AD10. Thing is working awesome. I can only hear the hard drive i have in it, the IR receiver can turn it on and off, and its even in logitechs harmony database.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Don Lapre posted:

Got my Zotac AD10. Thing is working awesome. I can only hear the hard drive i have in it, the IR receiver can turn it on and off, and its even in logitechs harmony database.

If you're planning on running XBMC: It works a lot better with the Logitech Harmony if you set it up as a Microsoft MCE Keyboard in the Harmony software, and then use these shortcuts.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

sweek0 posted:

If you're planning on running XBMC: It works a lot better with the Logitech Harmony if you set it up as a Microsoft MCE Keyboard in the Harmony software, and then use these shortcuts.

Yea, i found a walkthrough, set up a microsoft MCE keyboard and an SE remote so i can use all the functions. Thanks.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
So has anybody else had any issues with audio lag since upgrading to the newer XBMC distro?

I never had any issues at all running the older XBMCLive install, but since moving to XBMCBuntu I start getting a slight lag in audio about halfway through the video. Shifting it 0.200 in the audio menu fixes it for the rest of the video, regardless of length. It is driving me crazy.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ended up grabbing a Acer laptop with HDMI out, i5 2450m, Intel HD 3000 graphics and 8gb ram for $420 after tax.

Wiped the Acer windows is and installed vanilla windows 7 before I booted the thing. I might go with an ssd but unsure. It boots quickly as is.

So far been downloading windows updates all morning. All 120 of them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Crosspost from the SH/SC keyboard thread: Logitech's K400 keyboard/trackpad was on sale today at Best Buy, but my local area is out. Does anybody have recommendations for a good wireless keyboard with a decent trackpad?

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
This may be a somewhat unanswerable question, but I don't know that there's a definitive answer and I guess I'm looking for general feedback.I'm swapping stuff around in the movie room and am curious how the various ZBoxes perform from a gaming standpoint? I know a fair amount about GPUs etc from the desktop world but have never focused on gaming on laptops or small form-factor PCs; I'm used to just throwing a big card in there and that's that.

I think a ZBox is just what the doctor ordered for my needs on the media front, but the family does like to game from time to time. Maybe the easiest way to ask this is by referencing certain titles and seeing if anyone knowledgeable on both the Zotac front and the gaming front can provide some perspective:

MAME/SNES/etc.: Sounds like any emulators should run fine?
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (2006)?
Those Lego games (2005-2012)?
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (2010)?
Uhhh lemme think: Mini Ninjas, Psychonauts, Trackmania maybe, misc console ports. The point is that I don't need or expect buttery framerates on Skyrim with everything maxed out, I just need to know that mid-to-low-end titles similar to the ones listed above can run smoothly. I assume I'm ok, especially as I don't mind sacrificing eye candy as needed; I'm looking for playability for kids who don't give a poo poo about anti-aliasing. Thoughts/experiences?

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

Phone posted:

Crosspost from the SH/SC keyboard thread: Logitech's K400 keyboard/trackpad was on sale today at Best Buy, but my local area is out. Does anybody have recommendations for a good wireless keyboard with a decent trackpad?

I recommend waiting for the K400 to come back in stock, best keyboard/touchpad I've used (and I've used a few, and paid a lot more for them). The K400 has a nice keyboard feel, the touchpad is responsive and I've used mine up to 6 meters away from the PC without a problem (not to mention battery life and a handy on/off switch to prevent accidental button pressed while it's on the coffee table).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Staples carried the k400 and will price match.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

rivetz posted:

This may be a somewhat unanswerable question, but I don't know that there's a definitive answer and I guess I'm looking for general feedback.I'm swapping stuff around in the movie room and am curious how the various ZBoxes perform from a gaming standpoint? I know a fair amount about GPUs etc from the desktop world but have never focused on gaming on laptops or small form-factor PCs; I'm used to just throwing a big card in there and that's that.

I think a ZBox is just what the doctor ordered for my needs on the media front, but the family does like to game from time to time. Maybe the easiest way to ask this is by referencing certain titles and seeing if anyone knowledgeable on both the Zotac front and the gaming front can provide some perspective:

MAME/SNES/etc.: Sounds like any emulators should run fine?
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (2006)?
Those Lego games (2005-2012)?
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (2010)?
Uhhh lemme think: Mini Ninjas, Psychonauts, Trackmania maybe, misc console ports. The point is that I don't need or expect buttery framerates on Skyrim with everything maxed out, I just need to know that mid-to-low-end titles similar to the ones listed above can run smoothly. I assume I'm ok, especially as I don't mind sacrificing eye candy as needed; I'm looking for playability for kids who don't give a poo poo about anti-aliasing. Thoughts/experiences?

The zbox has an AMD Radeon 6310. I played portal 1 on it briefly the other day and it runs fine. It's not a very powerful card though but capable enough: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6310.40952.0.html

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I played TF2 and HL2 without any real issues @ 720p yesterday (on my ad10). Ive only tried 8 and 16bit emulators but they all worked perfectly.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
What are you guys doing for games that don't work well with a gamepad? I was thinking about updating my HTPC to run Diablo 3 in the living room (55" and 5.1? Yes please!) but I don't have a good mouse/keyboard setup.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I've installed xbmc, all my windows updates etc. XBMC runs really quickly, even fast forward and rewinding 1080p stuff is super smooth.

Overall I am super pleased and glad I went with a slightly quicker spec than a base htpc requirement. The jump from a boxee box to this is like night and day.

Some questions:
-Is the Transparency Skin for xbmc the prettiest eye candy setup ?
-What is the best way to start getting tv shows into xbmc automatically. Sickbeard ? I read a little bit into the setup guide, and it seems rather in depth.
-I'm running via hdmi into the tv, and it seems to be working correctly, in regards to displaying 24p content when needed etc. Are there any settings in xbmc or windows itself that I should address that might not be right out in the open ?
-What is the best way to calibrate this setup so that movies look as close to reference as possible on the tv ?

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Transparency and Aeon Nox are probably my favourite XBMC skins. I kind of like Aeon's coverflow view better, but I like Transparency's home menu and fanart view better.

So, I just got openelec running on a Zotac ID80 last night. Had to use an earlier stable version (v1.0.2) for the USB stick install because the newer beta installs (~v1.95.4) kept crashing. But holy poo poo is this thing fast to boot, the menu is super quick and smooth, and the box itself is whisper quiet.

The mini-HTPC box I built running win 7 and Eden has been put to shame.

Just have to SSH in and fix the HDMI sound issues that all these z-boxes all apparently seem to have, and try figure out how to fiddle with the stock remote control settings.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Does anyone with large amounts of media use any of the coverflow/poster/fanart views?

I find with the hundreds of items they're just way too irritating to find what you want and, despite the relative ugliness, always revert to whatever view just lists items with text. Am I doing it wrong?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I always just end up going back to one of the pretty "list" view modes. Cover is cool but its just too much and overwhelming for people who try to use it other than me.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Yeah my girlfriend isn't a fan of the coverflow view either.

I ONLY use it on my movie folder because when I finally decide I'm in the mood to watch something for 2 hours, I have no idea what I actually want to watch. Coverflow is good for this because I like pretty shiny things and mindlessly browsing through all the pretty dvd and background pictures helps with my decision.

I agree its a long library, but the new install I just put on makes flicking through it way faster than my old setup.

For every other folder I just use the fanart view that has a list on the side.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Thermopyle posted:

Does anyone with large amounts of media use any of the coverflow/poster/fanart views?

I find with the hundreds of items they're just way too irritating to find what you want and, despite the relative ugliness, always revert to whatever view just lists items with text. Am I doing it wrong?

Coverflow is lame, but fanart view on Transparency is amazing. It's the same content as a text list, but you get the fanart too, which is honestly like 75% of the coolness factor of XBMC right there in my opinion. Also, Transparency is one of only a bare few skins that seems to work just as well with a mouse as the main remote compared to an actual remote, which means you can scroll down with the mouse wheel and choose things much faster. Also there's the option to search by name, I guess.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

berzerker posted:

Coverflow is lame, but fanart view on Transparency is amazing. It's the same content as a text list, but you get the fanart too, which is honestly like 75% of the coolness factor of XBMC right there in my opinion. Also, Transparency is one of only a bare few skins that seems to work just as well with a mouse as the main remote compared to an actual remote, which means you can scroll down with the mouse wheel and choose things much faster. Also there's the option to search by name, I guess.

I don't really give a gently caress about skins, but I use and love Transparency for the exact same reason. It puts the cover art front and center.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
I'm in the process of setting up a Dell Optiplex 780 (http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/optiplex-780/pd) to be used for watching and recording HDTV. I realize its not the ultimate device, but I only want to buy a tuner, not another computer. It only has one PCIe slot. It has two additional PCI slots, but it seems that I'm better off getting a USB tuner than a PCI tuner. Here are the two setups that I see happening, and I wondered which would be best. I'm probably going to go with Win7 and Windows Media Center. The computer has 8 gigs of RAM.

1) Onboard Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 (analog VGA at 1680x1050) and AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet A118 (PCIe)

2) Radeon HD 3450 (256meg of video ram) (digital DVI at 1680x1050) (PCIe) and WinTV-HVR-850(USB).

The dual tuners of the Duet would be nice, but not required. Setup 1 is what I hope is best, but I'm not sure if the onboard video is good enough to handle video playback recorded by the tuner.

Thanks

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

fallenturtle posted:

I'm in the process of setting up a Dell Optiplex 780 (http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/optiplex-780/pd) to be used for watching and recording HDTV. I realize its not the ultimate device, but I only want to buy a tuner, not another computer. It only has one PCIe slot. It has two additional PCI slots, but it seems that I'm better off getting a USB tuner than a PCI tuner. Here are the two setups that I see happening, and I wondered which would be best. I'm probably going to go with Win7 and Windows Media Center. The computer has 8 gigs of RAM.

1) Onboard Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 (analog VGA at 1680x1050) and AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet A118 (PCIe)

2) Radeon HD 3450 (256meg of video ram) (digital DVI at 1680x1050) (PCIe) and WinTV-HVR-850(USB).

The dual tuners of the Duet would be nice, but not required. Setup 1 is what I hope is best, but I'm not sure if the onboard video is good enough to handle video playback recorded by the tuner.

Thanks

What's wrong with PCI tuners? I've always had good experiences with them for NTSC/ATSC/clearQAM tuning.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

TheScott2K posted:

What's wrong with PCI tuners? I've always had good experiences with them for NTSC/ATSC/clearQAM tuning.

Is PCI better than USB? My requirement is that it be low-profile compatible. If someone knows of a good, sub $60 ATSC PCI card, I'd be interested in checking it out.

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 23, 2012

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Yea, i found a walkthrough, set up a microsoft MCE keyboard and an SE remote so i can use all the functions. Thanks.
Would you mind linking the walkthrough you found? Because I'm not having any luck at all getting my harmony to talk to the ad10 when set up as a MCE keyboard. I'm running the latest beta of openelec, if that makes a difference.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

g0del posted:

Would you mind linking the walkthrough you found? Because I'm not having any luck at all getting my harmony to talk to the ad10 when set up as a MCE keyboard. I'm running the latest beta of openelec, if that makes a difference.

I couldn't get the latest openelec version to install on my Zotac ID80 via usb key. The stable 1.0.2 version worked fine. Then a few days later I manually updated it to the latest version and my zotac remote has flipped out. Going to revert back I think.

I've tried looking at wikis and guides for all that keyboard/remote/lirc xml stuff to add more XBMC functions to MCE remotes and I just end up giving up.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

g0del posted:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=95063

Here, you can learn the power on and off from the original remote if you want them. If you are using windows 7, put xbmc into your task bar shortcuts and make a key win+number of slot and you can launch xbmc with it.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=95063

Here, you can learn the power on and off from the original remote if you want them. If you are using windows 7, put xbmc into your task bar shortcuts and make a key win+number of slot and you can launch xbmc with it.
Thanks for the link. I suspect now that the issue is that I'm running linux, not windows. Since the ad10 remote works, I'll try setting the harmony up as an ad10, and see if I can get that to work.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
If anyone's looking, I'm selling a complete, ready-to-roll AMD E350-based, single-tuner CableCard HTPC in SA Mart.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I use my main computer as my HTPC (use my Panasonic HDTV as a secondary monitor for XBMC). I'm thinking about upgrading my graphics card since it has been a while. What would be the best buy I could make for under $200 that would focus on HTPC as opposed to gaming (which I do almost zero of on my PC)?

I currently have an ATI Radeon 4800 Series card.

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Processor 2.60 GHz Quad Core
6 GBs of Ram
Windows 7 64bit

Also of note, I run both video & sound via HDMI from my current graphics card to my Onkyo recover which them goes to my PC.

When I play movies in XBMC with hardware acceleration on, the audio falls more out of sync than it usually can be sometimes. So, I'm thinking I need a better card.

89 fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 29, 2012

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

89 posted:

I use my main computer as my HTPC (use my Panasonic HDTV as a secondary monitor for XBMC). I'm thinking about upgrading my graphics card since it has been a while. What would be the best buy I could make for under $200 that would focus on HTPC as opposed to gaming (which I do almost zero of on my PC)?

6 GBs of Ram
Windows 7 64bit

Also of note, I run both video & sound via HDMI from my current graphics card to my Onkyo recover which them goes to my PC.

When I play movies in XBMC with hardware acceleration on, the audio falls more out of sync than it usually can be sometimes. So, I'm thinking I need a better card.

If you spend more than $20 on a HTPC graphics card for watching movies you're getting burnt. Just go to newegg, search for htpc low profile, get one of the $20-30 ones with no fan so it stays silent.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

89 posted:

6 GBs of Ram
Windows 7 64bit

What video card do you have, exactly? I have a hard time believing a 4800 of any kind can't keep up with video playback. I use one for gaming and the only reason I've even thought of replacing it lately is its dying fan, it has always proved more than adequate for all the video playback I've thrown at it. You may have something else wrong with your configuration.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

TheScott2K posted:

What video card do you have, exactly? I have a hard time believing a 4800 of any kind can't keep up with video playback. I use one for gaming and the only reason I've even thought of replacing it lately is its dying fan, it has always proved more than adequate for all the video playback I've thrown at it. You may have something else wrong with your configuration.

I posted a little while ago about having audio sync issues with the new version of XBMC that I never had before. I still haven't figured out what is causing it. But yeah, it is probably something other than the video card causing the problem.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Regarding video cards, I bought a GT430 for my HTPC. I wasn't having issues with 720p stuff, but 1080p was choking a bit and I had just purchased a 3D TV, so I wanted support there (my motherboard didn't support hardware decoding or 3D). It's worked great for anything I've thrown at it, including 3D stuff.

Although actually using 3D is a whole other matter...

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

cornface posted:

I posted a little while ago about having audio sync issues with the new version of XBMC that I never had before. I still haven't figured out what is causing it. But yeah, it is probably something other than the video card causing the problem.
Yeah, I'm about to downgrade XBMC and see if that helps.

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011
I am wanting to build a small dedicated gaming emulator box for playing nothing newer than PCSX2 on. Was leaning towards an Llano a8-3850 but am reading conflicting information on how well it does with the newer emulators like PCSX2. Should I look into another micro atx board and inexpensive cpu instead?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Bumping down to XBMC 10.1 has definitely seemed to fix the audio sync issues. But, that's just retarded that I have to deal with an older XBMC and can't upgrade because of some specific issues with my Radeon 4800.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

mdh1975 posted:

I am wanting to build a small dedicated gaming emulator box for playing nothing newer than PCSX2 on. Was leaning towards an Llano a8-3850 but am reading conflicting information on how well it does with the newer emulators like PCSX2. Should I look into another micro atx board and inexpensive cpu instead?

I can't help you out but the fine folks in the PCSX2 thread might be able to.

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011
Thanks Horn, I somehow have not seen this thread. Nice!

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
I've been thinking about grabbing either/both of an HTPC or NAS (or boxee box) for a while, but as my system is a few years old, yet still capable, any thoughts on making a combo machine?

Obviously wouldn't be quite as efficient as two separate machines, but would allow me to basically run my old computer as HTPC/NAS and get a new one.

Any thoughts on an OS/software for doing something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

kalicki posted:

I've been thinking about grabbing either/both of an HTPC or NAS (or boxee box) for a while, but as my system is a few years old, yet still capable, any thoughts on making a combo machine?

Obviously wouldn't be quite as efficient as two separate machines, but would allow me to basically run my old computer as HTPC/NAS and get a new one.

Any thoughts on an OS/software for doing something like this?

I do this, Windows 7 works just fine for it, as would OSX or whatever linux brand you fancy. The only potential issues are noise and looks, both of which can be handled with a (decently-ventilated) cabinet to store it.