Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kafkasgoldfish posted:

2. I've never owned a laptop or computer in the last 8+ years that couldn't handle dual video output. Even so, I don't think a product targeted at the hobbyist community should have dependencies on potentially expensive proprietary controllers when a practical and *cheap* alternative exists.

From a while ago, though this is a slow thread. The reason using your laptop (or desktop) for a display driver in something like this is a problem is because it takes longer for a pixel to be projected than a transatlantic ping. Actually its worse, it may take longer than a transatlantic ping, or it could come up immediately. You have no way of knowing!

With a dedicated driver board you can replace your video driver's delays with a consistent delay from an FPGA. For the projector side things get a little more complicated. For that you need direct control over the entire path, so you have to buy something like this.

I work with structured light, using a computer to drive the projector is just a major pain. Duplicated frames, dropped frames, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

hobbesmaster posted:

From a while ago, though this is a slow thread. The reason using your laptop (or desktop) for a display driver in something like this is a problem is because it takes longer for a pixel to be projected than a transatlantic ping. Actually its worse, it may take longer than a transatlantic ping, or it could come up immediately. You have no way of knowing!

With a dedicated driver board you can replace your video driver's delays with a consistent delay from an FPGA. For the projector side things get a little more complicated. For that you need direct control over the entire path, so you have to buy something like this.

I work with structured light, using a computer to drive the projector is just a major pain. Duplicated frames, dropped frames, etc.

What a coincidence, I just came in to point out that Veloso's indiegogo had 41 hours left and has only achieved $110,000 of $300,000.

That's an interesting link but I was under the impression that each layer was exposed for several or many seconds. Does even 100ms of delay matter? Does anyone know what the actual time per layer is?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

kafkasgoldfish posted:

What a coincidence, I just came in to point out that Veloso's indiegogo had 41 hours left and has only achieved $110,000 of $300,000.

That's an interesting link but I was under the impression that each layer was exposed for several or many seconds. Does even 100ms of delay matter? Does anyone know what the actual time per layer is?

I dont know exact time...I remember veloso saying the time per layer was 4 seconds but I guess if we're dealing in milliseconds that could be anything around there.

Especially since that weasel didn't want to give any of his information up!

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

This really, really doesn't matter in the slightest for these resin printers right now. The exposure times for layers is in the order of seconds, it doesn't matter if it takes slightly longer. Frames drops don't matter when it is a static image that is being changed once every 10 seconds.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Obsurveyor posted:

This really, really doesn't matter in the slightest for these resin printers right now. The exposure times for layers is in the order of seconds, it doesn't matter if it takes slightly longer. Frames drops don't matter when it is a static image that is being changed once every 10 seconds.

If its 10s then it indeed doesn't matter. I thought the exposure times could be much, much shorter.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I dont know exact time...I remember veloso saying the time per layer was 4 seconds but I guess if we're dealing in milliseconds that could be anything around there.

Especially since that weasel didn't want to give any of his information up!

I think that's a pretty unfair characterization of Veloso. A lot of folks don't agree with his pricing, or assumed that his efforts would be at least partially open source, but I wouldn't go so far as to call him a weasel.

I was definitely in the camp that thought his project would be more of a community thing than a commercial one.. Maybe it was the slightly-off english that made the website seem like it was more of an amateur thing?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

techknight posted:

I think that's a pretty unfair characterization of Veloso. A lot of folks don't agree with his pricing, or assumed that his efforts would be at least partially open source, but I wouldn't go so far as to call him a weasel.

I was definitely in the camp that thought his project would be more of a community thing than a commercial one.. Maybe it was the slightly-off english that made the website seem like it was more of an amateur thing?

Yea I guess that was my bad. But I felt the same way too, every way he went about it seemed like he was for open source and the community only at the *seemingly* last minute to now be all about profits and 300k in a month. Either way whats done is done and him starting his project (and the way he finished it) encouraged lots of others to as try well and that is a good thing.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

techknight posted:

"Weasel" is a very apt description in my opinion. Literally nothing on his campaign was new. It was all stuff from blog posts from 6 months to a year or more ago, every image, every video(even the intro).

He censors every negative or even questioning post on his blog and did it for about 200 posts on his project(he even lies in the comments on the project stating that they weren't removing posts, you can go find it today probably).

His videos are actively deceptive, giving the impression that what you are seeing is produced by the resin and machine he is selling when neither have actually been tested, seen or in the case of the resin, even formulated, yet. People demand an image of the new machine and the only thing he produces after a month is a tiny CGI picture. The reason some think he is doing this is because they think as soon as any of the major patent holders see something concrete, he is going to get slapped with lawsuits for patent infringement.

quote:

No, at one point he stated it was going to be open. However, as soon as he got a whiff of the money that could be made, he scrubbed his blog of any and all posts and videos with details of the machine and statements about it being an open project.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?

Obsurveyor posted:

"Weasel" is a very apt description in my opinion. Literally nothing on his campaign was new. It was all stuff from blog posts from 6 months to a year or more ago, every image, every video(even the intro).

He censors every negative or even questioning post on his blog and did it for about 200 posts on his project(he even lies in the comments on the project stating that they weren't removing posts, you can go find it today probably).

His videos are actively deceptive, giving the impression that what you are seeing is produced by the resin and machine he is selling when neither have actually been tested, seen or in the case of the resin, even formulated, yet. People demand an image of the new machine and the only thing he produces after a month is a tiny CGI picture. The reason some think he is doing this is because they think as soon as any of the major patent holders see something concrete, he is going to get slapped with lawsuits for patent infringement.

No, at one point he stated it was going to be open. However, as soon as he got a whiff of the money that could be made, he scrubbed his blog of any and all posts and videos with details of the machine and statements about it being an open project.

I'm also betting he is committing a least some levels of copyright infringement against the open source community. While it is not impossible that he has completely coded everything he needs clean room, and came up with entirely his own ideas and plans, and concepts, from scratch, and any open source components he is using are published and you'll be receiving a bunch of source files with the package; I highly doubt it.

Even the BSD license requires attribution and based on the behavior I have seen from the guy he seems like the sort that would remove attribution after the fact to make his own work seem more impressive.

More's the pity because his original design (the one he is not selling) looked quite good and had he been more cooperative with the community would likely have done quite well.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Linux Assassin posted:

I'm also betting he is committing a least some levels of copyright infringement against the open source community.
Well, to be fair, I don't think he has distributed anything to anyone yet so there is no infringement going on... yet. It is still disingenuous to crow that you have written everything yourself from scratch though.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?

Obsurveyor posted:

Well, to be fair, I don't think he has distributed anything to anyone yet so there is no infringement going on... yet. It is still disingenuous to crow that you have written everything yourself from scratch though.

Point, so in the event that he is not launching a giant vaporware moneygrab, then he is likely instead committing copyright infringement; but vaporware moneygrab does seem the more likely scenario right now (which is extra disappointing somehow).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Obsurveyor posted:

Or he could have indeed written everything himself and it just doesn't work. Wouldn't be the first programmer to reinvent the wheel terribly and certainly won't be the last.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Linux Assassin posted:

Actually a bunch of things limit the resolution:

1- Penetration depth (how far does the blast of UV light go into the resin)
2- Stepper accuracy (how tight is the movement on the Z axis)
3- Projector resolution (how fine is the projected image)
4- Signal viability (is there enough UV light in a line of X size to activate the resin)
5- Scatter (how much UV light gets scattered into the resin beside the points that you are illuminating)
6- Strength (how strong is the resin immediately after exposure; if the mere act of moving the setting resin at 20 microns would warp or break it, then even though the projector, Z axis, and all other factors would let you do 20 micron, you can't REALLY do 20 micron accuracy because it would be warped before it set).

That said, looking at his prints, I think he may be being quite conservative with his measures and I bet that someone tweaking could get even higher accuracy.

You're a loving smart person. (bolding in your quote is mine)

An update from him this weekend is regarding a (successful) 25 micron layer test.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/b9creations/b9creator-a-high-resolution-3d-printer/posts/244460

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So how durable is the resin used in 3d printing usually? I've used casting resins before in just old fashioned mould pouring and they seem harder but slightly more brittle compared to ABS. i.e. a cup cast out of resin would craze/shatter if dropped. An abs cup would just bounce.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Same Great Paste posted:

You're a loving smart person. (bolding in your quote is mine)

An update from him this weekend is regarding a (successful) 25 micron layer test.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/b9creations/b9creator-a-high-resolution-3d-printer/posts/244460

Yea this is getting insane...ly awesome. I think he's made an additional 200k in the past week just on last minute orders! And the resolution he is achieving is unbelievable. He thinks there is no reason they couldn't slice it into thinner than 25 micron layers and I (assume) the only thing stopping the x/y resolution is the projector, which could be upgraded for stupid insane resolution in all directions.
That combined with perfect burnout tests for casting makes me one very, very happy person.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Those results are mind bottling. Being able to print and cast from the prints of that quality could be a game changer.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Earlier in the thread, someone asked about the possibility of developing a personal recycling device to melt plastic and extrude it into filament. It turns out someone is working on just that:

http://filabot.com/

They're planning on selling the kits for $350.

Edit: And is there any word on when Printrbot kits will be available? I've been thinking about getting an inexpensive printer for simple robot parts (brackets, motor mounts, etc.), but I'd really rather not have to round up all the different parts.

Cockmaster fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 17, 2012

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Printrbot kits should be soon. I ordered a printerbot+ in the kickstarter and they just shipped it last week Thursday. That means they must be just about finished with fulfilling all the kickstarter orders and on to whatever they have accumulated since then.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
One of our makerspace members just got his Kickstarter order Printrbot last week.

It was literally the first time he'd powered it up, so there was still troubleshooting to do from assembly.. But he did manage to get it extruding some partial objects pretty quick.

It's a really nice, compact design.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Thinking of diving into the 3D printer world but really not sure I want to spend $1.5-2k just yet. I'm going to try for the Solidoodle Pro with heated build platform because of the price and see how it goes. Originally, I was thinking of printrbot but looks like they are sold out and I suspect they may be a bit more backlogged than Solidoodle.

My main goal is to print out some doodles and maybe some miniatures. If I get brave, I might even try to design a case for my Raspberry Pi but I suspect I'll stick with the doodles for now.

A few questions

* I take it that the answer to what 3D modeling software to start with is Sketchup. Is this correct?

* How much calibration is generally involved with these devices? Do 3D printers tend to need a lot of love and attention or is it just a matter of periodic checkups and calibration?

* What are the best paints to use to paint the results? Does using PLA or ABS plastic make a difference for painting?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
1) Sketchup is a good starting point. Get the STL export plugin.

2) Your machine needs no calibration past initial firmware values if you don't care about dimensionally accurate parts. What I mean, is if you just use it for printing owls and statues of people, it doesn't matter if the owl is 100mm tall or 101.05mm tall.

That said, dimensional calibration is easy to do, and not a bad idea to redo every year or so. It takes a few hours of printing to finish it. More often you'll need to be tightening bolts back up and cleaning extruders.

3) If you want surface finish, go with ABS, dunk a few times in acetone, paint with normal acrylic hobby paints.

4) For an easy software stack, use Pronterface + Slic3r. The newer builds have all but integrated the two together and essentially made the process load-n-go.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Excellent. Thanks for the response!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If painting with acrylic hobby paints you'd best prime first.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

insta posted:

4) For an easy software stack, use Pronterface + Slic3r. The newer builds have all but integrated the two together and essentially made the process load-n-go.

I've actually been getting better slicing results with KISSlicer than either Cura or Slic3r but in terms of ease of use, I think Cura will get you going quickest.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

If you were thinking of taking the plunge with the Solidoodle 2 as I did I'd urge you to think twice.

At about the 6 week mark (of the 6-8 week lead time) I decided to check out their website. The FAQ had been changed to say that the lead time had been changed to 5-6 weeks. So I emailed them and asked for an update on my order. They replied saying '6-8 weeks, read the FAQ. what are you blind?' to which I replied that I was hoping to get mine soon since the lead time had changed to being faster. No email reply to that, but the FAQ got changed to 6-8 weeks again. Ok cool, whatever. The reply did say at some point I'd get an email with a tracking number.

Week 9 rolls around and I email them again asking if there had been any progress. They respond by saying they dont know what the status of my order is, even though my email has my order number on it, and that things have been delayed about 2 weeks because a manufacturer was behind in shipments of parts. Ok, thats understandable. Why do I have to email them for an update about my order vice them sending an email to their customers who made orders letting them know about the delay? Because gently caress you, thats why. We put it in our website blog, and if you arent checking our website every couple days during the 6-8 week lead time plus however long we decide to add on to that you cant expect to be kept in the loop of why you are still out 650 bucks and empty handed past the ship date.

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too
In case anyone was interested, NPR did a bit on 3-D printers with MakerBot's Bre Pettis & Fab@Home's Hod Lipson...

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Blackchamber posted:

If you were thinking of taking the plunge with the Solidoodle 2 as I did I'd urge you to think twice.
[...]
you cant expect to be kept in the loop of why you are still out 650 bucks and empty handed past the ship date.

Over the years I have become violently allergic to pre-orders of any kind. :(

There is no excuse for having a customer's money in your account/pocket and not keeping them 100% in the loop until you ship. I mean, poo poo happens (like a supplier being unreliable or late) but you can't accept customers' money if you don't have a clear idea and plan of how to deliver. Especially if you accepted that money while presenting a "we totally have our poo poo together" image, only to play the "hey cut us some slack we're two guys in a basement :qq:" card once you realize you bit off more than you could chew.

That probably sounds a bit nerd rage-y but I put my money where my mouth is. When I used to build and sell electronics from an online store I made sure every single order was kept 100% in the loop, including attached digital photos of the customer's actual order being processed, the actual package being sent, etc. As soon as you accept money, that stuff is no longer yours, it now belongs to the customer and they deserve more than feeling like their money went into some zero-feedback black box.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Blackchamber posted:

Ah, too bad.. That's the one I was hoping to eventually buy as a second printer. Hopefully they can grow and figure things out.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Blackchamber posted:

That really is too bad. I think I'll hold off for now.

Thanks for the info. Hope you get yours soon and when you do, please post a report!

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.

Blackchamber posted:

On the flip side, The CEO of TrinityLabs, Ezra, has posted his personal phone number along with the latest status update on the backlog of mendelmax kits. All of which are getting upgraded parts gratis.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

My friend was recently talking about this on Google+ and I thought it might be interesting to get people's impressions on this...

http://cubify.com/

It's supposedly a easy-to-use 3D printer that uses cartridges for feed stock. It's selling for $1200 dollars, with the cartridges costing $50.

I know for a few hundred more, you can buy an Ultimaker or MakerBot Replicator with 8 cubic inches and that have a host more functions. I'm not sure how much plastic comes in a cartridge but $50 bucks is about the same price for a 1kg of ABS plastic. Don't know if the cartridges are refillable and if, by making the thing "easy-to-use" if they've gimped any chance to modify it.

The resolution is 250 microns, so it's not a Ultimaker, and I have no idea how fast it prints.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I think it depends entirely on what you want and expect from a machine. If you want something "just works" but may not have the bleeding edge features of the more DIY-oriented machines (and assuming you are okay with the price) then why not? However I think a lot of people are really just into being part of the 3D printer "movement" and enjoy building the machine as much actually using it... so the DIY machines are a better option in that case.

You may try to find a local hackerspace that has a 3D printer, you might be able to make a better choice after that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Young Freud posted:

My friend was recently talking about this on Google+ and I thought it might be interesting to get people's impressions on this...

http://cubify.com/

It's supposedly a easy-to-use 3D printer that uses cartridges for feed stock. It's selling for $1200 dollars, with the cartridges costing $50.

I know for a few hundred more, you can buy an Ultimaker or MakerBot Replicator with 8 cubic inches and that have a host more functions. I'm not sure how much plastic comes in a cartridge but $50 bucks is about the same price for a 1kg of ABS plastic. Don't know if the cartridges are refillable and if, by making the thing "easy-to-use" if they've gimped any chance to modify it.

The resolution is 250 microns, so it's not a Ultimaker, and I have no idea how fast it prints.

I'm guessing it's not modifiable and the cartridges are not intended to be refilled. This is 3d systems after all. They're the people that make the massive high resolution printers that people like shape ways use. I imagine they have the razor blade business model down to a science.

Their big printers are pretty cool. I saw a color one running at BUILD this year... Very slow but pretty neat to watch.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm guessing it's not modifiable and the cartridges are not intended to be refilled. This is 3d systems after all. They're the people that make the massive high resolution printers that people like shape ways use. I imagine they have the razor blade business model down to a science.

Their big printers are pretty cool. I saw a color one running at BUILD this year... Very slow but pretty neat to watch.

I didn't realize that it was them. It might be worthwhile in the reliability and usability front since it's coming from guys who have been doing this as a business and not as a hobby-turned-into-a-business.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Holy dogballs the Cube 3D printer is wireless :krad:

I'm going to be in the market for a new 3D printer this year sometime I think, I'd be tempted toward the Replicator but the Cube one is also very tempting. Exciting to think of what could be available once I'm actually ready to buy.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Mister Sinewave posted:

Holy dogballs the Cube 3D printer is wireless :krad:

Setting up wireless on any RepRap isn't too difficult. Bluetooth is very easy to setup,(It's like two wires and then power) and there are serious WiFi options available, but it's very DIY kind of "write your own code" at the moment. You could even set it up with a WiFly shield and an Arduino Uno with a TX/RX connection between the two boards.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

UberVexer posted:

Setting up wireless on any RepRap isn't too difficult. Bluetooth is very easy to setup,(It's like two wires and then power) and there are serious WiFi options available, but it's very DIY kind of "write your own code" at the moment. You could even set it up with a WiFly shield and an Arduino Uno with a TX/RX connection between the two boards.

I had mine wireless for about five minutes. I was talking to a nexusOne over wifi, plugged into my controller via USB. Neat concept, but since everything was within wire distance anyway, what was the point?

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

since everything was within wire distance anyway, what was the point?

Very much this. When you start printing in most cases you are there to take the first extrusion off of the hot end, or to make sure it sticks to the bed, so wireless seems gimmicky at best. It's nice to be able to start a print on your desk and then bring the laptop to the couch to watch TV or whatever, but I found that with bluetooth at least, when you put distance between the printer and yourself, things that required high bandwidth *honeycombing for example* would be very jittery and take a lot longer to actually happen.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
This is what SD support is for on RAMPS or Printrboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I would assume that the wireless just downloads to a memory card and prints from there instead of streaming.