Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

zerox147o posted:

There is a brewery about 15 minutes from me called Defiant that makes an awesome tripel (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14359/43008) that I want to emulate and work on tweaking. Anyone have a good tripel they would suggest as a base or should I just try to get some hints on the recipe from them next time I swing by (different employees there offer different levels of insight on their process)?

Sorry for the late reply, but here's a tripel recipe I was really happy with. Unfortunately I lost my notes due to a buggy old version of BeerSmith but it was a straightforward recipe as far as I remember.

code:
Batch size: 5 gallons
OG: 1.081
FG: 1.012
ABV: 9.3%
IBU: 36
SRM: 4.6

84% Belgian pilsner malt
2% Aromatic malt
14% table sugar

Mash for 60 minutes at 149*

Boil 90 minutes
60 minutes - 33 IBU worth of Hallertauer hops (60 grams @4.6% AA)
10 minutes - 3 IBU worth of Hallertauer hops (30 grams @4.6% AA)

Ferment with Wyeast 3787. Pitch at 64*, after a couple days allow the temperature to rise as high as the mid 70's. 

Ideally, after you reach terminal gravity, chill to around 50* and cold condition for at least a month before packaging. This is a big beer and it needs to mellow out.
This would also be an excellent candidate for an extract beer with such a simple malt bill. Just sub in pilsner extract and maybe use more sugar:less extract to help keep it finishing dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Corbet posted:

Has anybody brewed the "Cherries in the Snow" or "Cherry Fever Stout" recipes from the Complete Joy of Homebrewing book? How did they turn out? There aren't nearly enough non-Kriek beers that have cherry in it, although it can be difficult to make anything cherry related not have the cherry cough syrup taste.

My second extract batch was the Better Brewer Belgian kit, and I steeped about 2 cups of dried cherries (Mariano brand, I think; grocery-store grade) in the bag with the specialty grains. It gave me a beautiful pink tone and a subtle cherry flavor on top of the Belgian turning out well in the first place.

This was my second batch ever, so someone who knows their stuff could probably do what I did, only better. I'm going to keep making it and tweaking it, I guess I'll report back when it's past good and into amazing. :haw:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I want to do a red colored pale ale for the 4th of July (Red White and Brew :haw:). What's the best way to get a good red color without imparting too much dark malt flavor? I'm thinking a tiny amount (3oz tops) of debittered black malt would be the best way to get me to around 13 SRM without affecting the flavor too much. Is 13 going to be enough color to get a solid red color or should I be shooting for closer to 17-18 SRM?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

internet celebrity posted:

Cut the top off, put in a false bottom and ball valve and make a mash tun?

I've looked up what some folks have done and wow. That's probably a step or two ahead of where I'm at right now (just started another extract batch last night) but I'll have the top cut off of both and look around for a big burner to use outside. I was thinking I'd step up to BIAB next and then think about doing the full mash process after a while, but having two massive boiling pots can't hurt anything.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

I want to do a red colored pale ale for the 4th of July (Red White and Brew :haw:). What's the best way to get a good red color without imparting too much dark malt flavor? I'm thinking a tiny amount (3oz tops) of debittered black malt would be the best way to get me to around 13 SRM without affecting the flavor too much. Is 13 going to be enough color to get a solid red color or should I be shooting for closer to 17-18 SRM?

That should do the trick, if it's the only specialty grain you could probably go up to 4oz without imparting too much roastiness. I don't know what selection you have but any of the Carafa varieties will do the trick, the higher the better (i.e. III will contribute more SRM than I).

Due to a momentarily unfixable CO2 leak my very light-colored saison was slowly getting flat. To combat this I would add maybe 1/3 volume of my dry Irish stout to make a sort of ghetto black and tan - this always made the beer turn a beautiful red :)

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

krushgroove posted:

I've looked up what some folks have done and wow. That's probably a step or two ahead of where I'm at right now (just started another extract batch last night) but I'll have the top cut off of both and look around for a big burner to use outside. I was thinking I'd step up to BIAB next and then think about doing the full mash process after a while, but having two massive boiling pots can't hurt anything.

I know it seems daunting but the jump to all grain is actually pretty simple. Definitely get the hang of everything before jumping in, but if you already have a mashing vessel and the space for it all, I'm not sure what the advantage to doing BIAB is. Usually people do BIAB because they don't have the space for extra vessels, or they really don't have any extra money, but in your case you already have what should eventually become your mashing vessel so I'd say skip BIAB entirely!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Super Rad posted:

I know it seems daunting but the jump to all grain is actually pretty simple. Definitely get the hang of everything before jumping in, but if you already have a mashing vessel and the space for it all, I'm not sure what the advantage to doing BIAB is. Usually people do BIAB because they don't have the space for extra vessels, or they really don't have any extra money, but in your case you already have what should eventually become your mashing vessel so I'd say skip BIAB entirely!

Thanks for the vote of confidence - I'm just a bit flustered by the amount of work that's gone into some of the mash tuns...this one with a braided steel hose looks pretty simple: https://charlottesvillehomebrew.wordpress.com/2011/10/26/converting-a-cooler-into-a-mash-tun/ but this is the first one I looked at, which seemed very involved: http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/equipment.htm

According to this page http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Cooling,_Racking,_and_Aerating I don't need separate vessels for cooling just yet (I can deal with ice baths for a while) so I guess the mash tun is the next piece of the puzzle for me.

I guess I'll just need to drill the right sized hole and find a spigot to get started on the mash tun.

I take it that it doesn't matter if the kegs are stainless steel or aluminum?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Well, I had a very frustrating brew day yesterday. I have been using my pump to recirculate wort from the boiler and through the plate chiller, but I could not get the recirc to work. I ended up effectively doing a no-chill batch and leaving the fermenters to cool overnight in the ferment fridge.

I need to rework my pumping apparatus, apparently.

On the up side, I had a better time with my strike temperature than I have had in a while. Apparently, the solution is to trust your instruments. Who knew?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Super Rad posted:

That should do the trick, if it's the only specialty grain you could probably go up to 4oz without imparting too much roastiness. I don't know what selection you have but any of the Carafa varieties will do the trick, the higher the better (i.e. III will contribute more SRM than I).

Yeah, no Carafa available at my LHBS. I'm thinking it's going to pick up some color in the boil since I'm doing a partial mash and a partial boil so I may err on the side of caution for this one. Here's the recipe as I have it written now so hopefully between the partial boil and black malt I'll land somewhere in the range for red.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Man it has been weeks since I brewed last because I have been preparing to move, well that move is tomorrow so I'm thinking either friday or saturday is immediately a brew day haha.

Only ingredients I have on hand are for a 2.5 gallon batch, but thats okay. Thinking a pale ale with:

3.2# Gold Malt Syrup
1-2# 2Row
1/2# Honey Malt

0.5 60m Citra
0.5 20m Cascade
0.5 10m Citra
0.5 5m Cascade
And maybe dry hope some cascade too.

Any thoughts?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Welp, fired this thing up last night and after stinking up my house and steaming up my walls for an hour, it looks like everything got set up okay.
It's been a bit over 12 hours and there's already a pretty complete layer of (thin) foam on top and some good sized bubble coming through the lock. Yay!

I think I did make a mistake when we were chilling the wort down, it was taking a really long time(in my completely unknowledgable estimation) but it looked like the outside toward the walls of the kettle was cool, but inside wasn't. So I gave it a quick stir with a clean spoon, and I think it stirred up a bunch of poo poo that could have been left in the pot. The wort is now very cloudy and there's a rather large layer of sediment in the bottom it looks like. I figure this will all settle out in the next few weeks, but it still makes me a little anxious :\

edit: pic from last night, this had only been in the carboy about 15 mins, tops. See that layer of crud at the bottom?

edit 2: actually, it's bubbling pretty good. I can't get through a 10 count without seeing SOMETHING go through. Is this a bit early for that much activity?

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 30, 2012

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
A lot of stuff will settle out during the fermentation, that way when you use your auto-siphon (you have one?) when bottling...you can just avoid the mass at the bottom. Ultimately for the first batch or two I wouldn't worry about clarity hehe.

Its not too early at all to see activity. Relax and let the yeast do its thing :)

E: As it has been said a bunch of times in here, it is pretty hard to mess up completely so if you were unhappy with something you did this time (that last stir for example) then make a note and avoid it next time. You'll improve your process really quickly.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 30, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Going for clarity will drive you insane. The best combination of easy and effective process in my opinion is to just run your entire volume into the fermenter through a strainer and/or a paint straining bag. But the protein and hop sludge don't do anything to the beer so I wouldn't really worry about it.

Yeah, no Carafa available at my LHBS. I'm thinking it's going to pick up some color in the boil since I'm doing a partial mash and a partial boil so I may err on the side of caution for this one. Here's the recipe as I have it written now so hopefully between the partial boil and black malt I'll land somewhere in the range for red.
Sinamar has pretty much no taste at all and does nothing but color. It's definetely cheating a little in my eyes :v:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 30, 2012

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
I think I'm going to get back into brewing this weekend. It's been close to two years since I last brewed a batch, so I thought I'd post the recipe I'm planning on using to make sure it makes sense. I'm going for an american-style IPA for the summer:

6# light DME
1# crystal (steeped)
0.5 oz Amarillo (60 min)
0.5 oz Citra (30 min)
0.5 oz Amarillo (10 min)
0.5 oz Citra (10 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (0 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (dry hop)
Either White Labs California Ale yeast or the Wyeast equivalent

Does this sound reasonable? I think the last IPA I did was all-amarillo so I wanted to switch it up a bit. I can't remember the recipe I used, though (drat my lack of note-taking :argh:) otherwise I'd just use that with a different hop schedule.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

AlternateAccount posted:

edit: pic from last night, this had only been in the carboy about 15 mins, tops. See that layer of crud at the bottom?

I haven't thrown too many things in my carboys, but they've always been fuller than what's in that pic...would there be an increased risk of spoilage with the headspace in that carboy?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I guess? But he said it is already bubbling so the CO2 will quickly be displacing any air/oxygen in there.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

I have an extract brew that's stalled and have a few questions. It started off around 1.090 and has been at 1.032 for about a week now. I know extracts (especially dark) don't attenuate very well but we were hoping to get it down to around 1.020.

Is it likely that because we used so much dark LME, 1.032 is about the limit and the rest is unfermentable? If not, what is the best way to get it going again?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I have an extract brew that's stalled and have a few questions. It started off around 1.090 and has been at 1.032 for about a week now. I know extracts (especially dark) don't attenuate very well but we were hoping to get it down to around 1.020.

Is it likely that because we used so much dark LME, 1.032 is about the limit and the rest is unfermentable? If not, what is the best way to get it going again?

I've heard you can use a starter at high krauesen to get a little bit more points, but I would take that with a grain of salt. I'm not sure there's a ton you can do at this point, maybe someone else can help.

I think one of the big problems with high gravities over 1.080 is that you really need some serious aeration and serious pitching rates to get full attenuation. Maybe even consider yeast nutrient.

wattershed posted:

I haven't thrown too many things in my carboys, but they've always been fuller than what's in that pic...would there be an increased risk of spoilage with the headspace in that carboy?
That's almost right on 5 gallons (right above that top line is around 5 gallons), which is usually more than what I tend to get to because my boil off rate keeps ending up so high. My understanding is that the air in the headspace doesn't really matter until the wort becomes beer and at that point it's mostly just a giant rear end blanket of CO2.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 30, 2012

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Quick head up, the Midwest Supplies Groupon is back. I know somebody was asking about a good starter kit recently.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK, guys, thanks for the reassurance. I am not OBSESSED with clarity, but it's really cloudy now. We'll see what comes out.

wattershed posted:

Well, it's 5 gallons of beer in a 6 gallon carboy. I had one of each and I was worried about maybe it overflowing and making a mess, so I just used the 6. You can just make out the sharpie line on the left which is the 5 gallon mark. Given how much it was bubbling this morning before I left for work, I think it can be pretty safely said that all that air should have been long since displaced by now. I hope so, anyway.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Yes, even light LME isn't as fermentable as mashed wort, dark LME is even less fermentable.

As far as suggestions you can warm up the beer, swirl the beer occasionally, and you can also pitch some more aggressive yeast like champagne yeast or some of the super-high gravity yeast that are out there. I wouldn't expect anything drastic though, even a beer made from highly-fermentable wort starting at 1.090 would not go below 1.020-1.024

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

Jo3sh, where can I get a couple of those?

So I asked the guy what gave me that shirt where he had it made, and he tells me that all he knows is he ordered it online. Sorry I don't have more info for you, Spliz.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I don't see why you couldn't just get a few made from somewhere like Cafe Press or the like. I'm sure there are a lot of actual quality silkscreening places online, too.

I've actually had the police show up too, but it seemed just like general curiosity. The guy was quite nice and seemed pretty enthusiastic.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Holy poo poo, this stuff is MOVING! It's bubbling pretty good, there's about half an inch of foam and the silt in the liquid is MOVING AROUND.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

OK, guys, thanks for the reassurance. I am not OBSESSED with clarity, but it's really cloudy now. We'll see what comes out.

Well, it's 5 gallons of beer in a 6 gallon carboy. I had one of each and I was worried about maybe it overflowing and making a mess, so I just used the 6. You can just make out the sharpie line on the left which is the 5 gallon mark. Given how much it was bubbling this morning before I left for work, I think it can be pretty safely said that all that air should have been long since displaced by now. I hope so, anyway.
Clarity isn't something you need to worry about until you've got a solid process. At the one end you have people who don't care at all, and then at the other end you've got people that run beverage filters. Most of us are somewhere in between.

Mr. Glass posted:

I think I'm going to get back into brewing this weekend. It's been close to two years since I last brewed a batch, so I thought I'd post the recipe I'm planning on using to make sure it makes sense. I'm going for an american-style IPA for the summer:

6# light DME
1# crystal (steeped)
0.5 oz Amarillo (60 min)
0.5 oz Citra (30 min)
0.5 oz Amarillo (10 min)
0.5 oz Citra (10 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (0 min)
0.5 oz Cascade (dry hop)
Either White Labs California Ale yeast or the Wyeast equivalent

Does this sound reasonable? I think the last IPA I did was all-amarillo so I wanted to switch it up a bit. I can't remember the recipe I used, though (drat my lack of note-taking :argh:) otherwise I'd just use that with a different hop schedule.
I don't know, it doesn't sound like it's going to have the bittering level I'd expect from an American style IPA unless you've got really high AA Amarillo hops. I'd expect something more like an APA.

I made an APA with a couple of oz. of Amarillo a few weeks ago and double what you're using as bittering, but otherwise a pretty similar hopping schedule and it wasn't particularly bitter or IPA-like at all. Tasty, but not really an IPA.

Just as an aside, Amarillo and Citra are very difficult to source right now. If you've already got some then no problem, but they're hard to find at the normal spots.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 31, 2012

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Seaweed? Rendered horse bones? I think I will stick with my cloudy beer. The clouds mean it is full of protein and all the guys in You Look Like poo poo make it sound like there is nothing better than protein.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

zedprime posted:

Seaweed? Rendered horse bones? I think I will stick with my cloudy beer. The clouds mean it is full of protein and all the guys in You Look Like poo poo make it sound like there is nothing better than protein.

You forgot modified fish swim bladders and the vegan option, bits of plastic.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.
I have a question about converting an all grain recipe. I'm looking at the Brewing Network clone for Dark Dawn and it has a ton of different grains/adjuncts. Here's the original recipe:

0.35 lbs. Clover Honey Generic
0.53 lbs. Corn Sugar Generic
0.66 lbs. Turbinado Sugar Generic
8.04 lbs. Pilsener Belgium
1.93 lbs. Roasted Barley Great Britain
1.61 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America
0.11 lbs. Melanoidin Malt
1.18 lbs. Munich Malt Germany
0.96 lbs. White Wheat Belgium
0.48 lbs. Crystal 80L America
0.24 lbs. Black Malt Belgium

Will be okay keeping everything except converting the Pilsener Belgium into equivalent Pilsner Extract and the the Pale Malt into Gold malt extract? For the rest of it, my plan was to do a mini-mash to still get the sugars and flavors of the specialty grains.

Here's the recipe for reference. http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=&t=17614

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.
[Edit]Double Post.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know, it doesn't sound like it's going to have the bittering level I'd expect from an American style IPA unless you've got really high AA Amarillo hops. I'd expect something more like an APA.

I made an APA with a couple of oz. of Amarillo a few weeks ago and double what you're using as bittering, but otherwise a pretty similar hopping schedule and it wasn't particularly bitter or IPA-like at all. Tasty, but not really an IPA.

Just as an aside, Amarillo and Citra are very difficult to source right now. If you've already got some then no problem, but they're hard to find at the normal spots.

Yeah, I'm hoping my LHBS (which I haven't actually been to yet, lol) has them, but failing that I think I can order some from Northern Brewer. To get the IPA level of bitterness, should I just throw in more hops at the beginning of the boil? It's been way too long since I've read about this stuff :(

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
As I speak to you, I am drinking my very first batch of homebrew. We call it scheissebrau and made it with a Mr. Beer kit we bought heavily discounted at Ross. The kit came with a can of Hopped Malt Extract and a pouch of Nondescriminate Carbohydrate ABV Booster. It makes a 2 gallon batch at 3.4% abv, we decided to do 1.5 gallons and hope the ABV would jump into the ~5.something range. We left it in the fermenter keg thingy for two weeks and then bottled it into 2 liter Walmart cola bottles with some sugar in the bottom, which we left in a cool dark place for an additional 2 weeks.

It is drinkable. It tastes like a can of Hopped Malt Extract and nondescriminate carbohydrate booster. That is, it's slightly better than, say, High Life but really not what we're going for. We want to take the next step, but the kit is largely bereft of instruction short of including a catalog for different flavors of Hopped Malt Extract and a chart of sugar/bottle size for appropriate carbonation.

Most of the recipes I can find online are all for 5 gallon batches. Can I just scale these recipes down to fit my 2 gallon Mr. Beer fermenter keg thingy? Do you guys have any recommendations? Should I just read the thread?

Also I was wondering how best I should sanitize my setup, now that my pouch of 'no rinse sanitizer' is all used up. It says that my brewing keg is not dishwasher safe, can I just use dish soap? Is the best option available at my local homebrew store?

I plan to get a proper 5 gallon setup (at least) and all of the proper accessories in the future, but right now funds are limited so I'd like to make use of what I can.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can scale a five-gallon recipe, but still use one pouch/tube/packet of yeast.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Cointelprofessional posted:

Will be okay keeping everything except converting the Pilsener Belgium into equivalent Pilsner Extract and the the Pale Malt into Gold malt extract? For the rest of it, my plan was to do a mini-mash to still get the sugars and flavors of the specialty grains.

I think that should be fine as long as you do the mini-mash. The munich and wheat should have enough enzymes to convert everything.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Don't use dish soap to clean it, use OxiClean or PBW. Sanitize with Star-San or iodophor.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Stalizard posted:

As I speak to you, I am drinking my very first batch of homebrew. We call it scheissebrau and made it with a Mr. Beer kit we bought heavily discounted at Ross. The kit came with a can of Hopped Malt Extract and a pouch of Nondescriminate Carbohydrate ABV Booster. It makes a 2 gallon batch at 3.4% abv, we decided to do 1.5 gallons and hope the ABV would jump into the ~5.something range. We left it in the fermenter keg thingy for two weeks and then bottled it into 2 liter Walmart cola bottles with some sugar in the bottom, which we left in a cool dark place for an additional 2 weeks.

It is drinkable. It tastes like a can of Hopped Malt Extract and nondescriminate carbohydrate booster. That is, it's slightly better than, say, High Life but really not what we're going for. We want to take the next step, but the kit is largely bereft of instruction short of including a catalog for different flavors of Hopped Malt Extract and a chart of sugar/bottle size for appropriate carbonation.

Most of the recipes I can find online are all for 5 gallon batches. Can I just scale these recipes down to fit my 2 gallon Mr. Beer fermenter keg thingy? Do you guys have any recommendations? Should I just read the thread?

Also I was wondering how best I should sanitize my setup, now that my pouch of 'no rinse sanitizer' is all used up. It says that my brewing keg is not dishwasher safe, can I just use dish soap? Is the best option available at my local homebrew store?

I plan to get a proper 5 gallon setup (at least) and all of the proper accessories in the future, but right now funds are limited so I'd like to make use of what I can.

Scale everything linearly except the yeast. Go on and use a full packet of whatever yeast is called for and you'll be fine. Best option for sanitizing is star san, then iodophor, and finally a bleach solution
like this one http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter2-2-3.html. In terms of upgrading to a 5 gallon setup, you probably have everything you need except for a large enough fermenter and maybe a pot for boiling. I don't know what a mr beer kit includes, but really all you need for 5 gallon extract brewing is a large, food grade bucket for fermenting and a pot large enough to boil at least 3 gallons of water.

Read up on that link I posted. It's a great resource, especially when starting out. It's where most of us started out for sure, and probably the best guide for the basics (plus a little bit) of brewing.

Imasalmon fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 31, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mr. Glass posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping my LHBS (which I haven't actually been to yet, lol) has them, but failing that I think I can order some from Northern Brewer. To get the IPA level of bitterness, should I just throw in more hops at the beginning of the boil? It's been way too long since I've read about this stuff :(

I would think something more like an ounce or so of some kind of higher AA bittering hop, i.e. Columbus, Magnum or Centennial would be more in line with a American IPA. For bittering you'll want it in the boil for 60 minutes. 60 minute additions contribute little other than bitterness (debatable), and later additions are more flavor/aroma additions. I'm not sure I understand what 30 minute additions do at all.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

You forgot modified fish swim bladders and the vegan option, bits of plastic.

Honestly, cold crashing at 34F for a day or three has gotten me better results in terms of clarity than any agent I've added.

Also, I tend to run into problems with head retention on beers I get almost clear. Anecdotal my head retention and clarity seem inversely proportional. I read somewhere once that head retention was about the CO2 bubbles grabbing hold of a protein string in such a way that it prevents the buoyancy of the bubble from escaping. That makes sense in that as you strip out strings of protein there will be less and less available to grab a hold.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Cold crashing's generally great for me too, but I've had a few beers that either would not clear :argh: or I needed them ready ASAP for a party or whatever. In those cases, gelatin is a godsend.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Well, I finally got a hold on a bottle of beer from Jolly Pumpkin. It took a special request to the good beverage center in town to stock it, but they have a bunch of their stuff now. I had a bottle of La Roja for my first taste and it was so wonderful that I just finished making a starter to get a decent population of their yeast/bug blend.
I was considering doing a lambic or something long term since my 5 gallon carboy hasn't been used for almost a year, but now I might consider doing a sour amber like La Roja next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Thanks for the advice guys, I picked up some yeast just for the hell of it and it turns out the fermenting started up again out of nowhere. A week ago when it first stalled we aerated the hell out of it and checked again 4 days later with no change in gravity. Since then it has gone from 1.032 to 1.022, which is not much higher than where we wanted it to end. What could be the reason for that, just a delay while the yeast started to do their thing again?

Also I have some basic questions about fermenters.

What is the purpose of a secondary fermenter? Is it just to get the beer off the trub? If so, is there a reason that a secondary is usually a carboy instead of a plastic bucket?

Also, I've seen guidelines about how long to leave a beer in the secondary, how long to leave it after bottling, etc. but how does that vary for different types of beers? For example we have a stout that will be transferred to secondary in a few days that is going to be about 9% abv. I'm assuming that a beer this strong will want to sit in the secondary/bottles for longer, but how do I know when it's been long enough?