Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Slopehead posted:

As a general rule of thumb, if there isn't an official release for a very closely related SoC, ICS is going to probably be unstable. EG: Desire HD is related to My Touch 4g and G2/DZ's system-on-a-chip. Once the DHD update is out, some of the drivers can be ported over to these others.

Wait for the official Atrix ICS update for anything to really be stable.

Yyyyyeah but it's not due til Q3 (if Motorola keeps to its timeline) and there was a previous CM9 build I used that was actually really solid. If only I could remember which one it was...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ok so just in the last day my battery life has plummeted and something called media server is using 80+% of my battery. Is there anything I might be able to try to fix this before I do a factory reset?

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
As someone running the droid OG until his update comes up, what rom do you recommend? I've been using Bugless beast GPA19. I'm looking for stability.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I've done a bunch of googling on this but can't seem to narrow down the problem. I recently rooted and flashed my Galaxy S Vibrant (SGH-T959), running CM7-Nightly. Everything runs great, but the only problem is my battery drain. I lose about 8-10% an hour, even if I don't wake the screen. This seems like a pretty common problem, but I can't find a fix that works. I installed Badass Battery Monitor and it actually says that my radio and screen use most of the battery (despite the screen being off). I'm also using Juice Defender, which shuts off the radio when the screen is locked so I know it's not using the battery. Anyone have any suggestions?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Cyanogen proximity sensor issues in calls?

I'm just noticing, maybe it was a problem all along, my inspire running CM 7.1 stable only shuts the screen off about 10% of the time you put the phone up to your ear for a call. And if it does turn off and you move it in a way that would turn the screen back on, it stays on.

I installed "sensor tester" from the market and under proximity in there the values don't change at all when I put my finger over it.

Just to see how virgin cm 7.1 works I made a nandroid, wiped all parts and installed 7.1 with no modifications or apps installed and it's the same problem.

googling, I've seen some people posting in forums about prox sensor calibration but they usually have a phone-specific way to do that. Is that something that really is done to fix things like this or is it snake oil like wiping battery stats?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

Cyanogen proximity sensor issues in calls?

I'm just noticing, maybe it was a problem all along, my inspire running CM 7.1 stable only shuts the screen off about 10% of the time you put the phone up to your ear for a call. And if it does turn off and you move it in a way that would turn the screen back on, it stays on.

I installed "sensor tester" from the market and under proximity in there the values don't change at all when I put my finger over it.

Just to see how virgin cm 7.1 works I made a nandroid, wiped all parts and installed 7.1 with no modifications or apps installed and it's the same problem.

googling, I've seen some people posting in forums about prox sensor calibration but they usually have a phone-specific way to do that. Is that something that really is done to fix things like this or is it snake oil like wiping battery stats?
That was always a problem for me with CM7 on my Nexus One. I never tried to fix it to be honest.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

godzirraRAWR posted:

I keep running into the weirdest problem with my EVO3D.

I've done a backup of my 'known working' ROM, and I'd like to try out some of the latest ICS, just to see what its like.

But I'll be damned if it'll load. Right now, I'm trying:

http://themikmik.com/showthread.php?12451-ROM-May22-*NEW-UPDATE*-ZR3DX-1-1-Sense-3-6-team420-THEMED-Sprint-BEATS-odex-QLwidget

But everytime I try and load it from 4XT, it tells me its a "BAD" zip, and fails. I do an md5sum of the zip on my machine, and when I do one while in recovery, they never seem to match.

I'm running Linux Mint, but that shouldn't matter. All I'm doing is just mounting the sdcard, and dragging the ROM into my ROMS folder. This has always worked in the past, what the hell?!

If you still aren't having luck, I'd either try copying it through the mountUSB in the recovery, or take the SD card out and copy directly on the computer and returning it to the phone.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

ssjonizuka posted:

on the topic of SGS2 - I haven't been paying attention recently, but finally decided to jump into root after running stock for over half a year. (att, sgh-i777)

I ended up using the zedomax method, and it worked great - only to find out a few days later that my wifi screwed up. I've been doing some light research only to discover after the fact that quite a few people have had the same issue, but are having varied luck in correcting it. Has anyone else here seen that?

I did run across this: link to Driver updates??! And think it may be my best bet to fix the wifi, but not sure - so I wanted to check here. From what I've seen, the ICS ROMs are still a bit questionable on these fronts - with other bugs/headset problems (mic/speaker not working, etc). Anyone have any experience with either this bug or any worthwhile roms to look into on this platform?

For what it's worth, I fixed this by wiping and flashing to a rooted UCKK6 kernel + fs. Took a few attempts because heimdall (OSX weeeeee) didn't like flashing the fs.img, so I had to downgrade from 1.3.2 (which says it fixed the issue!) to 1.3.0 and it worked.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

uapyro posted:

If you still aren't having luck, I'd either try copying it through the mountUSB in the recovery, or take the SD card out and copy directly on the computer and returning it to the phone.

Thats exactly what I tried. Turns out my sdcard poo poo the bed!

A quick format did the trick.

Thanks though!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've been trying to get Heimdall working with a Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus. However, when I reboot the Tab into Odin download mode, my computer doesn't see it over usb at all. It simply doesn't show up on a hardware level as even being plugged into the usb bus. A little googling didn't give me any troubleshooting help. Any ideas?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

DarkSun6890 posted:

As someone running the droid OG until his update comes up, what rom do you recommend? I've been using Bugless beast GPA19. I'm looking for stability.

The latest Steel Droid (from a couple months back, I think) is one of the most incredible ROMs ever put on the OG Droid. It honestly feels as fast as a modern phone. Granted the kernel has a 1Ghz OC clock, but still. Even if you knock it down to 800Mhz it still rocks.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Manky posted:

I've been trying to get Heimdall working with a Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus. However, when I reboot the Tab into Odin download mode, my computer doesn't see it over usb at all. It simply doesn't show up on a hardware level as even being plugged into the usb bus. A little googling didn't give me any troubleshooting help. Any ideas?

Are you getting the claiming interface error? The Kies drivers screw with it, so you have to trash them..

Check this: blog post I had to use ...

Errrr I'm assuming OSX when I shouldn't be, but hopefully starts you down a path to fix it.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 30, 2012

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I finally installed CM7 on my Defy and so far I love it. The phone feels a lot faster (although I guess most of that is because of the 'fresh format' effect).

However, both the WiFi and the cell signal strength indicators seem to be stuck at one bar.

The weird thing is that the Wireless screen in Settings shows it a full strength.

Any ideas of what could be causing that?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ssjonizuka posted:

Are you getting the claiming interface error? The Kies drivers screw with it, so you have to trash them..

Check this: blog post I had to use ...

Errrr I'm assuming OSX when I shouldn't be, but hopefully starts you down a path to fix it.

Thank goodness you did assume I'm using OSX. Thanks for the blog post, I had no idea the Kies driver could be a problem.

Unfortunately, in my case, it seems to be some other unknown problem. The error Terminal gives me is
code:
Failed to detect compatible download-mode device.
e: Well now that I've unloaded those kernels, I at least get an entry of "Gadget Serial" in System Profiler, so it sees something on the usb bus. I still get the same error, however.

e2: Ugh just to see if it would work I loaded up my Windows VM and tried to connect the Gadget Serial usb entry and naturally it just immediately and irrevocably disappears. Sigh.

Manky fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 30, 2012

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

ProjektorBoy posted:

The latest Steel Droid (from a couple months back, I think) is one of the most incredible ROMs ever put on the OG Droid. It honestly feels as fast as a modern phone

Because I am a sucker for pain I dug around trying to find the rom you're talking about and all I'm getting is roms for the droid 4 by that title. Would you be an absolute dove and dig about in your history for a source link for our friend with the Milestone? Droiddoes forums are an absolute clusterfuck if you're not familiar with them..

\/\/ And at 2:30AM too :allears:

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 31, 2012

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Slopehead posted:

Because I am a sucker for pain I dug around trying to find the rom you're talking about and all I'm getting is roms for the droid 4 by that title. Would you be an absolute dove and dig about in your history for a source link for our friend with the Milestone? Droiddoes forums are an absolute clusterfuck if you're not familiar with them..

http://steeldroid.weebly.com/droid-1.html

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Manky posted:

Thank goodness you did assume I'm using OSX. Thanks for the blog post, I had no idea the Kies driver could be a problem.

Unfortunately, in my case, it seems to be some other unknown problem. The error Terminal gives me is
code:
Failed to detect compatible download-mode device.
e: Well now that I've unloaded those kernels, I at least get an entry of "Gadget Serial" in System Profiler, so it sees something on the usb bus. I still get the same error, however.

e2: Ugh just to see if it would work I loaded up my Windows VM and tried to connect the Gadget Serial usb entry and naturally it just immediately and irrevocably disappears. Sigh.

Some of what I'm reading may indicate an issue with the codeless kext... What version of heimdall are you running? If you go back to my previous post - I had to switch between 1.3.2 and 1.3.0 to get it to work on my SGSII. You may be running into something similar? On the flip side, I've read an instance or two where it was how you put the device into download mode and connected the cord. Definitely weird, and I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert.

Outside of download mode, are you able to do everything else normally - copying media and such? Almost sounds like it might be a device issue?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ssjonizuka posted:

Some of what I'm reading may indicate an issue with the codeless kext... What version of heimdall are you running? If you go back to my previous post - I had to switch between 1.3.2 and 1.3.0 to get it to work on my SGSII. You may be running into something similar? On the flip side, I've read an instance or two where it was how you put the device into download mode and connected the cord. Definitely weird, and I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert.

Outside of download mode, are you able to do everything else normally - copying media and such? Almost sounds like it might be a device issue?

The latest Heimdall, so 1.3.2. I'll try reverting for sure.

Yeah, before I uninstalled it, Kies saw the device just fine. The device went into MTP mode, I performed a backup, no problems there.

e: Still no luck. Whatever, I guess I'll just wait for the dev to (hopefully) release a flashable CWM for the GP6200L.

Manky fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 30, 2012

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

gmq posted:

I finally installed CM7 on my Defy and so far I love it. The phone feels a lot faster (although I guess most of that is because of the 'fresh format' effect).

However, both the WiFi and the cell signal strength indicators seem to be stuck at one bar.

The weird thing is that the Wireless screen in Settings shows it a full strength.

Any ideas of what could be causing that?

Are you using JuiceDefender? I noticed the same behavior when using it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The CM9 lockscreen is getting nice.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is that from one of the recent nightlies? I'm on 05-17 so I only have unlock/camera.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Odette posted:

Is that from one of the recent nightlies? I'm on 05-17 so I only have unlock/camera.

It went in a couple of days ago I think. It's definitely in the 5-29 nightly though.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It went in a couple of days ago I think. It's definitely in the 5-29 nightly though.

Does CM9 allow you to have the multi target setup and still show a security screen (PIN, pattern etc) after choosing one? An earlier ROM I tried did that, but my current one doesn't.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Anyone know what the best stock ICS rom is for the At&t Galaxy Note? Currently have a note running the leaked ICS build, but while everything works it's rather slow since it's obviously not optimized final software.

I've read good things about the OnlyOne ICS rom, but I think that is based on the GS3 firmware and therefore not AOSP stock android. I could run a different launcher I guess too, but I was hoping to avoid it.

Anyone here use the OnlyOne rom on their note?

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This has been really making me rethink my WidgetLocker purchase from a few months ago, heh.

Ah hell, didn't realize this WASN'T the Apps thread. Need more coffee.

I Dont Like You fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 31, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

sirbeefalot posted:

Does CM9 allow you to have the multi target setup and still show a security screen (PIN, pattern etc) after choosing one? An earlier ROM I tried did that, but my current one doesn't.

It does. You have to check the option for "Show widgets before unlock" option under Lockscreen settings.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

CM9 in general is getting nice. The nightly change log keeps getting cool new features (calendar on the lock screen coming up) and the way the settings are integrated into the actual phone settings screen is just real slick.

The changes the CM9 team have made look like they actually belong in stock Android, which is slick.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I have a Sprint Galaxy Nexus that I am considering rooting for various reasons.

I think I will use the GNex tool kit from XDA.

Will it factory reset my phone?

Will it clear the internal storage (pictures, music, everything in /sdcard, etc)?

Will Google wallet still work?

Anything I should know about Wifi Tether on the G Nex? Like avoiding detection?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

I have a Sprint Galaxy Nexus that I am considering rooting for various reasons.

I think I will use the GNex tool kit from XDA.

Will it factory reset my phone?
Assuming you haven't unlocked the bootloader yet, yes.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Will it clear the internal storage (pictures, music, everything in /sdcard, etc)?
No.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Will Google wallet still work?
Yes although every hack of it relied on the user being rooted.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Anything I should know about Wifi Tether on the G Nex? Like avoiding detection?
Should be just fine.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Doesn't the initial bootloader unlock clear the internal storage on the GNex too? I'm pretty sure it did on mine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Penguissimo posted:

Doesn't the initial bootloader unlock clear the internal storage on the GNex too? I'm pretty sure it did on mine.
Maybe it does, I'll admit I could be wrong as it's ridiculous to not unlock the bootloader immediately on a Nexus.

I know changing build will do it but I thought the bootloader just did a factory reset. I guess backing up the storage and using the toolkit to backup and restore /system is the best thing to do.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Having trouble restoring and unrooting a Nexus S 4G.

My boyfriend got a Nexus S 4G used but it has CM9 on it and he wants to go back to stock.

We tried this method but it gets stuck at "waiting for device" but we're not sure what to do. He does not want CM9, root, or an unlocked bootloader at all as he's not that technical at all.

Is there an easier way to do this without Odin or anything like that as we're doing this through Skype and I'm not there to physically do this for him.

He found this but I'm not sure if it would work.

I'm contemplating using the Fastboot method to install the leaked ICS but use the files linked there to push it to GB and not the ICS leak. I'm not sure if this will get rid of CWM and CM9 and all that though.

Got PDANet and had to install Android 1.0 drivers from it to make the One Click method work.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 2, 2012

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Hoping one of you guys can help solve my problem.

Decided to switch my GSM GNex from my old 4.0.2 Codename Android ROM to CM9.

Got the latest nightly and the lastest gapps package. Wiped phone (after backing up apps through Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit). Used recovery to flash the two zip files.
Load it up, no google apps.

-Tried installing the gapps package again, no dice
-Tried re-installing the whole ROM
-Tried last nights Nightly, and (separately) the older gapps package
-Tried using AOKP (works just as well for me) still no google apps

Anyone know what is going on, I really need to get my phone in a working state again

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

mmm11105 posted:

Hoping one of you guys can help solve my problem.

Decided to switch my GSM GNex from my old 4.0.2 Codename Android ROM to CM9.

Got the latest nightly and the lastest gapps package. Wiped phone (after backing up apps through Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit). Used recovery to flash the two zip files.
Load it up, no google apps.

-Tried installing the gapps package again, no dice
-Tried re-installing the whole ROM
-Tried last nights Nightly, and (separately) the older gapps package
-Tried using AOKP (works just as well for me) still no google apps

Anyone know what is going on, I really need to get my phone in a working state again

Which gapps are you installing? It should be one from 4/22 iirc.

Also, try to redownload the file, and verify the md5. Sounds like it's failing somewhere, possibly due to a bad file or something.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

BoyBlunder posted:

Which gapps are you installing? It should be one from 4/22 iirc.

Also, try to redownload the file, and verify the md5. Sounds like it's failing somewhere, possibly due to a bad file or something.

I tried the 4/29 (which both recommended) and the 4/22.

Redownloaded the files and checked the md5's already, they were fine. CWM raises no errors

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

mmm11105 posted:

I tried the 4/29 (which both recommended) and the 4/22.

Redownloaded the files and checked the md5's already, they were fine. CWM raises no errors

Restore from a nandroid?

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

sharkytm posted:

Restore from a nandroid?

I just looked and somehow in all thew wipes and rewipes I did last night, my nandroid has disappeared.

I tried flashing to Codename Android 1.6.0, which includes gapps with the rom. ROM works, but still no google apps.

EIDT: Actually if worse come to worse, I have an old stock nandroid (pre ROMs) on my computer

mmm11105 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 3, 2012

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm running an ICS ROM (MeanROM) on my Evo 3D that's based on the Virgin Mobile leak from a while back. I think that heavily criticized agressive memory management that people have complained about on the One X is affecting this, because it doesn't seem like anything is remaining in memory. Browser always has to reload the page, Facebook seems to be restarting since it almost never retains my "sort by most recent" setting. Tasker is just plain flaky...

I guess the biggest question is, is this the sort of thing that a custom kernel would take fix, or is the memory management something more tied to the actual ROM itself?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I can't get Wireless Tether to work on my LTE GNex. When I start it up, it says that there were errors, and to check the log. The logo says that it couldn't set the ad-hoc mode, couldn't set the essid, couldn't set the channel, and couldn't activate encryption. What am I doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

brc64 posted:

Agressive ram Issues

Now, I don't know if there is a working version for your phone, but I've had great luck with V6 Supercharger tweaks package. Essentially it gives you a bunch of different ram cutoffs and easily installs them. I stick with 512 leaded since that's for phones with 512 ram and has really reasonable cutoffs.

Seriously easy script, just make sure to run it as superuser assuming there is a functional version out for your phone. I can't really see why this wouldn't work for you seeing as how it has levels for 512/756/and 1gb ram. Either way, if you decide to run it make sure to do a full nandroid and have ADB setup to get into recovery. I don't want to be responsible for bricking your device.

Edit: Okay digging around this script looks like it can be used pretty universally on Gingerbread based roms, but I can't find anything substantiating functionality on ICS based roms. Feel like being a guinea pig?

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 4, 2012