Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

nsaP posted:

Very clever. You been waiting to do that since my last post?

You know, sometimes we play a game with your posts?

A post will appear on the forum full of triggers that make it obvious there will be a z3n post. People make bets:

• How long till z3n responds (I usually go for reply in less than 5 minutes, I win a lot)
  • How many paragraphs
  • Will z3n bring up his "racing career"
  • Will he try to sell someone some parts?

This was off the top of my head and I know there's a bit more but once again, I can't be arsed.

Edit: Oh, I forgot "Number of times the word "hoon" or "hooligan" is used in various form"...I'll add as I remember them

This could make for one HELL of a drinking game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Learning to ride in the cold rear end rain on maine both sucks balls and is very educating. Atleast my corners arw getting better :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Had a good weekend with the old enduros. Trucked them up to a cabin we rented at the bottom of Mt. Pilchuck and terrorized the USFS roads all the way up the mountain. There's something pretty drat blissful about dodging branches and splashing through lake-sized puddles along old overgrown dense-forest double track roads.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

sildargod posted:

As an aside, anyone have any advice on how to keep your fingers warm on early morning rides? I have winter gloves, but they make no difference in preventing my fingers from turning into blocks of ice within the first 5 seconds of riding.

For cool temps just get a set of grip heaters. If you start riding in real cold temps then look into heated gloves. Also look into blocking some of the wind on your hands, really helps.

What temps are you riding in? Winter gloves are good to 50 or so, 40 with grip heaters. After that heated gloves are the way to go.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have a pair of heated gloves and they are the bomb. They weren't cheap, $275 at a vendor at a motorcycle show in Toronto (I waited until the end of the show and offered the guy $200 cash and he went for it).

The charge lasts supposedly 8 hours (I've used them for 4 hours straight and my hands were toasty warm in 0 C weather), and takes about 4 hours to recharge. I also love the fact that I get to use them for snowboarding and other such activities up here in the great white north. They have 3 heat settings, each glove has a little button to cycle through Off, Low, Med, High heat. ALSO, the batteries aren't built into the gloves, so I can eventually replace them when they stop holding a charge (apparently they're good for at least 200 charges).

E: That's 32 degrees Fahrenheit for you rednecks

epswing fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 29, 2012

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

clutchpuck posted:

Had a good weekend with the old enduros. Trucked them up to a cabin we rented at the bottom of Mt. Pilchuck and terrorized the USFS roads all the way up the mountain. There's something pretty drat blissful about dodging branches and splashing through lake-sized puddles along old overgrown dense-forest double track roads.

You've got an old DT don't you?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I had a really short commute, but rode all winter down to 20 deg F and was fine with heated grips and a pair of Phantom GTX gloves. (Those gloves rule, by the way.)

I'm not planning on sticking around WI this winter, but if it happens I'll be getting some V-Strom hand guards to take the wind off my hands.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

epswing posted:

I have a pair of heated gloves and they are the bomb. They weren't cheap, $275 at a vendor at a motorcycle show in Toronto (I waited until the end of the show and offered the guy $200 cash and he went for it).

The charge lasts supposedly 8 hours (I've used them for 4 hours straight and my hands were toasty warm in 0 C weather), and takes about 4 hours to recharge. I also love the fact that I get to use them for snowboarding and other such activities up here in the great white north. They have 3 heat settings, each glove has a little button to cycle through Off, Low, Med, High heat. ALSO, the batteries aren't built into the gloves, so I can eventually replace them when they stop holding a charge (apparently they're good for at least 200 charges).

E: That's 32 degrees Fahrenheit for you rednecks
Got a link/brand? I might need something like this.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

You've got an old DT don't you?

Yeah it's a '76 175. It was beat up and neglected before I got to it, and now it's beat up and reasonably maintained. I love it a lot but one day the whole NLA/NOS crap might just kill it for me.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I'm sorta looking for an old DT to run around on the trails over here on the east side of the mtns. Let me know if you ever want to get rid of it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Not looking to sell any time soon - planned to keep it at least through next year as long as it keeps going and I have space to keep it. Let me know if you end up with one though, maybe you can show me some good riding on the east side sometime.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I may end up breaking down and buying a more modern 4t bike. I really shouldn't be signing up for more fussy bikes the R5 really keeps me occupied. It seems really hard to find a vintage offroad bike that isn't a complete basketcase or fully restored too nice to actually take offroad. No middleground riders it seems.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I must have got lucky. I found the DT and the XL within a couple weeks of each other and both are perfectly rideable and a little rough. I was scouring the CL daily and ready to move fast.

Oh yeah and the XL came by way of want ad.

Might have helped that it was right before Christmas and I was pretty much "shut up and take my money" about it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

n8r posted:

I may end up breaking down and buying a more modern 4t bike. I really shouldn't be signing up for more fussy bikes the R5 really keeps me occupied. It seems really hard to find a vintage offroad bike that isn't a complete basketcase or fully restored too nice to actually take offroad. No middleground riders it seems.

XL250/350. They're all over and they're tanks.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Scored 20 points with 21+ points to fail. rear end was pucked all the gudammed time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

Scored 20 points with 21+ points to fail. rear end was pucked all the gudammed time.

Goddamn. Do you live in one of those countries where the road tests are actually hard and people regularly fail them, or do you just suck?

Nah, I kid, I kid. Congrats on passing.

Today I learned about dogs. I was taking a lazy right turn on a country road when I saw two guys and a big shaggy german shepherd come walking out of the woods ahead to my left. Immediately I thought "hey, wait a minute, there's something I'm supposed to remember about dogs when I'm on a bike". Of course as soon as that thought had registered, the (unleashed) dog tore off across the road, running a perfect intercept course. I countersteered hard, swerved even more to the right and got on the gas, and pulled away as the dog passed about 2 feet from my left knee. He chased me for maybe 20 yards then gave up.

Freaky. I encountered 2 more dogs on that ride, one out for a walk (lunged against his leash) and one muddy one standing on the side of the road (didn't come straight for me, but did run along the side of the road behind me for a while). I'd slowed down for both of those well in advance, though, so it wasn't quite as unnerving.

Interesting experience anyway.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Sagebrush posted:

Goddamn. Do you live in one of those countries where the road tests are actually hard and people regularly fail them, or do you just suck?

I failed horribly at the double U turns and maxed out on points so 15 points.
Then I stopped 4 ft longer than I should at the emergency stop 4 more for 19.
At this point I pretty much aced everything else, except for the 135 degree curve. I had some problem with it during the day with target fixation and rolling off the throttle. Hell even the instructor gave up on my and pretty much assumed I was going to fail. I aced that gudammed curve like a pro and was only a second late, so one more point for a total of 20. Even the instructor was impressed and proud of me.

poo poo I just need to get a bike, read some information, find an empty parking spot and practice.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Well, I just did my first wheelie on my SV650, On accident. I was engine braking in second going up to a stop light on a slight incline, the light turned green when I was doing about 10 mph and I "floored" the throttle. It took me about a second of staring at the sky to realize what just happened and I slowly let go of the throttle, then for some reason pulled it back again and did another mini one. I pulled over into a turn lane to catch my breath and not two seconds later a cop car rolled by and asked if I was alright. I was about to poo poo bricks thinking he caught me doing one and my rear end would be grass, but he saw me at the side of the road and was just wondering if I ran out of gas. I told him everything was fine and he said "alright, have a nice day."

I want to do more for some reason :ohdear:

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 30, 2012

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tenchrono posted:

Well, I just did my first wheelie on my SV650, On accident. I was engine braking in second going up to a stop light on a slight incline, the light turned green when I was doing about 10 mph and I "floored" the throttle. It took me about a second of staring at the sky to realize what just happened and I slowly let go of the throttle, then for some reason pulled it back again and did another mini one. I pulled over into a turn lane to catch my breath and not two seconds later a cop car rolled by and asked if I was alright. I was about to poo poo bricks thinking he caught me doing one and my rear end would be grass, but he saw me at the side of the road and was just wondering if I ran out of gas. I told him everything was fine and he said "alright, have a nice day."

I want to do more for some reason :ohdear:

the sv will blow its forkseals if you do too many or land one badly as i found out a few weeks ago

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
If you're in the Toronto area and need JIS screwdrivers, Efston Science (aka the store across from Yorkdale Mall with the telescope on the roof) has them as a set of 5 or individually. They also do mail order.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I had a really short commute, but rode all winter down to 20 deg F and was fine with heated grips and a pair of Phantom GTX gloves. (Those gloves rule, by the way.)

I'm not planning on sticking around WI this winter, but if it happens I'll be getting some V-Strom hand guards to take the wind off my hands.

I hope my mini review helped. I actually just sent mine back for warranty because the inner liner on my left middle finger started pulling out. Replaced for free :)

On another note, is it me or are there an increasing number of new motorcyclists that just plain have no idea what they're doing?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

echomadman posted:

the sv will blow its forkseals if you do too many or land one badly as i found out a few weeks ago

Or hold the wheelie too long and you'll starve the engine's oil.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Small price to pay for being awesome imho.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Yesterday I did an accidental wheelie from a dead stop on the new WRX while trying to leave the post office in a hurry cause I parked on the wrong side of the road to quickly drop off some mail. I must've looked like such an rear end in a top hat. :v:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Re: cold hands

Get brush guards. They block the freezing wind from getting your hands.

Unfortunately they also block the wind on hot days. I'm about to drill out some vents in mine if I can find another cheap pair.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

thylacine posted:

Re: cold hands

Get brush guards. They block the freezing wind from getting your hands.

Unfortunately they also block the wind on hot days. I'm about to drill out some vents in mine if I can find another cheap pair.

Take them off in the summer, put them back on when it gets cold. Most of them only take 10 minutes or so to install or remove.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Gnaghi posted:

Yesterday I did an accidental wheelie from a dead stop on the new WRX while trying to leave the post office in a hurry cause I parked on the wrong side of the road to quickly drop off some mail. I must've looked like such an rear end in a top hat. :v:

I wheelies the RD on accident yesterday too. Seems to be a trend. I missed second gear, got pissed and when it went into gear I was already coming out with the clutch and rolling on hard. Front end came up and I almost poo poo myself since I didn't expect it.

Then I did two more on the way home cause drat that shits fun.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rumors/2013-ducati-hypermotard-848/

About time Ducati makes a proper Hypermotard.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Today was my first day on a new 990 adventure. I've never had a bike with a windscreen, or one that was huge/heavy, or one that had more than 70 horsepower, or one that had accessory power, or one that had a center stand, or a luggage rack, etc etc. She's heavy at a stop, but the weight disappears above 1-2 mph which is nice.

Have to stay below 6500 rpm for break-in, which is hilarious because I am treating the throttle like a delicate porcelain kitten but the numbers on the speedometer climb like my 450 at full boogie. I don't know if it's because of newness or what but the clutch is an on/off switch and I've died trying to accelerate from a stop about 10 times.

I think all the people who whine about the stock seats on these things have not ridden one of KTM's dirtbike seats. I do not have an iron rear end by any means but I've been completely comfortable. This opinion will probably change on my first 8 hour day.

I also splurged on a U Clear bluetooth dealy for my helmet. I can't feel the speakers at all in my RF1100 (my primary worry) and it works spectacularly with my iphone.

Alright, it's official: porky bike, luggage, phone calls on the road, I am now a fat retired man. I guess I'll slug it over to ADV rider now...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Gnaghi posted:

At my CCS mock race I almost looped out a wheelie from a dead stop on the launch. :suicide:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Today was my first day on a new 990 adventure.

Congrats on the adventure, one of my many bucket-list bikes.

Don't stress too much about that break in RPM. Ride it at varying RPMs (try not to do 150 miles of 5,000 RPM cruising, keep it varied), don't bury it in the rev limiter too much, and change the oil at 600 miles, but other than that ride it like any ole' bike. Just be a bit extra nice to it until you can do that first oil change and get any free floating engine bits out of there (small flakes are a part of break in). Also KTM transmissions often take about 1,000 miles to break in so watch for false neutrals but don't be despondent about it. Shift with purpose (firm action) and you'll be less likely to get a non-gear.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

How do you guys get earbuds to stay in when putting a helmet on? I was trying to coming from the gym last night but they kept getting pulled out and I cant reach in there to straighten them since foam is in the way.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Get different earbuds. Love my etymotics, especially since I don't end up with deaf ears after a long ride.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
I just put them in and tug like hell at the straps when I put the helmet on.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Tenchrono posted:

How do you guys get earbuds to stay in when putting a helmet on? I was trying to coming from the gym last night but they kept getting pulled out and I cant reach in there to straighten them since foam is in the way.

Once you have the earbuds in place, wrap the wire around your ear once, front to rear, so that anytime something tugs on the wire, it puts the strain on your ear and not ripping the buds out.

Also when putting the helmet on, pull it down with both straps, making sure to spread them away from your ears when doing so.

Edit: Also clean your ears. Ear wax is like grease and lets the buds slide out. Ew thats gross.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Buy these: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-J10-Headphones-Non-Slip-Design/dp/B000092YR6

Super affordable and can't come out no matter how much you move around. I love mine.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I got these, which have dropped to lower prices before: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038W0K2K

These came with a whole bag of different rubber ear bits for you to find the right fit and do a good job at keeping out the wind. I'd say anything that goes over the ear will work, though.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Deeters posted:

I got these, which have dropped to lower prices before: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038W0K2K

These came with a whole bag of different rubber ear bits for you to find the right fit and do a good job at keeping out the wind. I'd say anything that goes over the ear will work, though.

Man no matter what tips I used I could not get these things to seal in my ears, helmet or not. I have used the tips on other cheap IEMs, though! Namely some Philips SHE3580s which can be found for ~$15 even at big box stores. They aren't great but they sound good enough for riding listening, are cheap enough to be disposable, and are tiny enough to not protrude from the ear much and thus stay in okay when putting on a helmet.

Mostly it's trial-and-error for me though

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
The real secret to not having earbuds fall out? balaclava.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

EvilCrayon posted:

The real secret to not having earbuds fall out? Get moulded silcone ones.

The actual answer.