Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Enelrahc posted:

Neuro is fun! Except for bitey dachshunds. No one likes those.

Someone who worked for years as an ICU tech just thought plasma volume was TP quantities and questioned why TP was going down from 22.5 to 18.2 during exercise. She didn't question the enormous magnitude of these numbers, just wondered why the TP was going down during exercise when he had said in the previous slide that they went up.

I'm so ready to be done with this quarter.

Man, you guys have some EPIC quotes from your classmates.

Oh, I know how Neuro is (I like it too, just not the hours) - I did it as summer clinics twice. Also, one of my friends was on it the rotation before me and was giving me updates on how ridiculously busy they were (I think the most inpatients someone had was... 6? 7? at a time)

Topo, I can even scout out the cases for ya - are you as much of a fan of tedious/tiring treatments (q2 meatball feedings, sling walking the 50kg Mastiff, etc.) as I am? I can be your eyes on the inside. I could also scout out the SUPER CUTE patients or the super awesome clients.

One of the techs was telling us about a case they had awhile back. The topic had been brought up of toxin/illicit substance exposure, and apparently a dog came in for compulsive walking. Otherwise normal examination, but the dog simply would not stop walking. It was also very twitchy and reacting to seemingly nothing. Eventually it did sit, but for short periods of time and always looking around quickly. They asked the client what meds they were on - ended up nothing that would cause those signs. They then noticed that the other person there started getting a bit... unsettled/agitated. They asked them what meds if any they were on... oh, nothing.

Ran a tox test - positive for caffeine and... methamphetamine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Hey, I thought I'd ask you vets(or soon to be vets) a question. If someone 'de-barks' a dog, can it be reversed?

A co-worker at the dog boarding place I work at just rescued a 1 year old great dane, and unfortunately the dog had been de-barked. Is it possible to reverse it or something?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^No, it's not reversible, and why would you want to put the dog through ANOTHER surgery for something it doesn't even notice at this point? :psyduck:

HelloSailorSign posted:

Man, you guys have some EPIC quotes from your classmates.

There are a few who I'd be reluctant to trust the care of a pet rock to, to be honest.

quote:

Oh, I know how Neuro is (I like it too, just not the hours) - I did it as summer clinics twice. Also, one of my friends was on it the rotation before me and was giving me updates on how ridiculously busy they were (I think the most inpatients someone had was... 6? 7? at a time)

Topo, I can even scout out the cases for ya - are you as much of a fan of tedious/tiring treatments (q2 meatball feedings, sling walking the 50kg Mastiff, etc.) as I am? I can be your eyes on the inside. I could also scout out the SUPER CUTE patients or the super awesome clients.

I did NNS summer clinics last year and am doing it again this year too. :)

I like brain cases better than spinal cord cases, but there always seem to be more spinal cord cases! Also cats seem to be at a premium. I got to take exactly 1 cat patient the whole 2 weeks I was there.

quote:

One of the techs was telling us about a case they had awhile back. The topic had been brought up of toxin/illicit substance exposure, and apparently a dog came in for compulsive walking. Otherwise normal examination, but the dog simply would not stop walking. It was also very twitchy and reacting to seemingly nothing. Eventually it did sit, but for short periods of time and always looking around quickly.

My neuro dog acts like that all the time. :saddowns:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 31, 2012

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
I went to my vet today to discuss maybe doing some health screening with Mouse over the coming year, and was told "health testing is something that Kennel Club breeders do so that they can charge more for their puppies". Like, I really got the impression that she felt that health screening was some kind of :tinfoil: conspiracy, it was weird. Then again, this is the same vet practice that sent Dandy home from his scheduled castration surgery because he was 'too nice' to neuter, so maybe they just don't like money I don't know!!

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
Sounds like it's time to seek a second opinion my friend

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Today I got to do a nasal biopsy on a dog. :3: I got to push the weird forceps through the scope and take out the biopsy and everything. It was so awesome! I love days where it's just kind of steady all the way through and you get to see awesome cool things and learn and they let you do procedures.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
2 weeks until graduation--2 weeks of cleaning the apartment, job interviews, returning my drat pager, and cleaning out my locker. It really hasn't kicked in yet that I'm done.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Braki posted:

Today I got to do a nasal biopsy on a dog. :3: I got to push the weird forceps through the scope and take out the biopsy and everything. It was so awesome! I love days where it's just kind of steady all the way through and you get to see awesome cool things and learn and they let you do procedures.

It's so refreshing to see the young ones still with vim and vigor.

Me, I get excited when OMG IT'S TIME TO GO HOME I CAN DRINK WATER AND MY URINARY SYSTEM JUST *MIGHT* NOT TURN INTO A ROCK. Although I do have a much bigger appreciation for dehydrated patients. Fluid planning is important!

Or YAY I can take my famotidine my four ulcers are fighting each other at the moment and gently caress they really just need to stop being douches and live with each other.

My legs and back... oh god... the awkward surgery positions...

Also alcohol. Elixir of life. No, no I'm not an alcoholic. You're only an alcoholic if you go to the meetings. There is no time in vet school for meetings.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Me, I get excited when OMG IT'S TIME TO GO HOME I CAN DRINK WATER AND MY URINARY SYSTEM JUST *MIGHT* NOT TURN INTO A ROCK. Although I do have a much bigger appreciation for dehydrated patients. Fluid planning is important!

Or YAY I can take my famotidine my four ulcers are fighting each other at the moment and gently caress they really just need to stop being douches and live with each other.

My legs and back... oh god... the awkward surgery positions...

Also alcohol. Elixir of life. No, no I'm not an alcoholic. You're only an alcoholic if you go to the meetings. There is no time in vet school for meetings.

The only reason I've been able to study this quarter is through the help of cost plus raspberry sparkletini. $4.99 a bottle, it makes lovely 2nd year marginally tolerable. I'm going to have end stage liver by 4th year.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

I'm screwed aren't I?

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

Topoisomerase posted:

I'm screwed aren't I?

If you haven't figured THAT out by now, you haven't been paying attention...

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

I'm screwed aren't I?

No no, that's what alcohol, CAPS (psychological service), and anti-depressants are for.

For as much I complain about it, I would do it all over again. Yes, there can be some really tough times. Standing in surgery for 4 hours at the end of a 12 hour day (now we're at 16 hours) and then recovering the patient and getting things situated (another 2, so we're at 18) sucks hard. Having clients who have to perform religious rites on their dog while it's going slowly into respiratory failure and you feeling like screaming at them that their dog is suffering a horrible death sucks. But, bringing a 1.5kg, angry, angry chihuahua to its Dad and seeing it go from a bitey little poo poo to a squirming ball of happiness at this huge man who is cradling the little guy like a baby... it makes it worth it.

Oh hey, has anyone gotten anything weird from clients as gifts? One client gave me one of those Watchtower-esque religious pamphlets as a gift because I did good.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
I was manually ventilating a patient after a ventral slot gone wrong when the owner came in for a visit with rosaries and holy water. That was certainly an experience.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

But did it work?

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Oh hey, has anyone gotten anything weird from clients as gifts? One client gave me one of those Watchtower-esque religious pamphlets as a gift because I did good.

I got a kid's Snoopy backpack.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
I got handmade cards with foam cut-outs, glitter, and feathers, from a pair of little girls whose puppy needed dialysis after getting lepto. The cookies were also very good.

Today I spayed 8 cats at a TNR clinic. Everything from massively preggers to little bitty kitten uteruses. Uteri. Whatever. Surgery is so much fun.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Countdown: 10 days until finals begin. I do not think I can last much longer.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Last on-call shift of school tonight.

C'mon Dachshunds, hold those discs in for just 12 hours!

YourCreation, you will rock those finals. You will rock them so hard that the question regarding brachycephalic dog breeds will change from whatever it was to dealing with traumatic proptosis. BAM.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 11, 2012

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
:cheers:

My relatives are like kids with a new game, and that game is telling everyone, including each other, that I'm a doctor.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Dr. Chaco posted:

:cheers:

My relatives are like kids with a new game, and that game is telling everyone, including each other, that I'm a doctor.

HELL YEAH CHACOOOOOOOOOO

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Aww, thanks!

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Dr. Chaco posted:

Aww, thanks!

There was a dog in our clinic named Chaco and I thought of you.

In other news, I did my first dog neuter yesterday, and my first cat neuter and dog spay today. It was really fun and the intern teaching me was awesome.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
We watched your class's chosen commencement speaker on the feed in Ward 5 today, DOCTOR Chaco. ;)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

We watched your class's chosen commencement speaker on the feed in Ward 5 today, DOCTOR Chaco. ;)

Remember: shoe covers.

Also, whenever he comes into clinics, ask him how his squirrel bite is going and if he's rabid yet. He tried to help one a few weeks back and got bit and we were relentless in making fun of him.

How's Neuro-land?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Topoisomerase posted:

My parents thought he was hilarious. But, my dad had the same question I did--what the heck ended up happening with the dog that belonged to the king of Thailand? He never ended the story. Maybe you can find out...

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

How's Neuro-land?

Well we did a C5-C6 ventral slot on one of your classmates' dogs about 5 hours ago...

And Dr. L is on a 1 year sabbatical effective like, this week, I think.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Congrats on getting out of the hellhole, Dr Chaco and Dr HelloSailorSign! Way to escape! I'm jealous...two more long, long years :(

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
Congrats new DVMs! :)

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Congrats! You guys have jobs yet? :)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Khelmar posted:

Congrats! You guys have jobs yet? :)

Nope! I was originally freaked out about not having a job yet (whereas classmates have internships/jobs and are starting today), but then realized that having a few weeks off is far better.

Visiting a place, we'll see where that goes.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Congrats duders.

About to head out the door to take my first final exam of the week (six 30-minute essay questions). Yee haw!

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
The semester ends and you all disappear? WTF?

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Ends? I still have an oral exam and a SPOT test to go 8(
Monday night I will be on a tequila CRI, yee haw.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Today I made too much bread so I brought some of it to the Internal Medicine peeps. Remember, everything is way less awful if you remember to eat at some point.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

YourCreation posted:

Ends? I still have an oral exam and a SPOT test to go 8(
Monday night I will be on a tequila CRI, yee haw.

No! Don't drink antifreeze Monday afternoon! It's not that bad! DON'T DO IT YOURCREATION.

Bad medical joke, I know

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

Khelmar posted:

I am stuck in the middle of Texas for 8 weeks with very little time and no internet access. I fear I may wither and die.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Solis posted:

I am stuck in the middle of Texas for 8 weeks with very little time and no internet access. I fear I may wither and die.
You got here just in time for record high temps! 109 here yesterday. :(

Are you at A&M?

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

I'm doing two weeks of clinics. The medicine week was good and my super sick horse that we thought we were going to have to kill perked up and went home. I am very happy about that. This horse had a terrible life and some terrible things happen to her, and she deserves the chance to get better and be some nice little girl's dream horse. The surgery week I was excited for because I really love surgery, but I haven't gotten to cut anything and my 4th year keeps tossing me under the bus to cover her own insecurities, so I'm looking forward to the end of this week. I'm getting really frustrated with myself as well. I've lost some confidence in some skills I thought that I did pretty well and worked hard to learn, and it's very frustrating/embarrassing. All in all, kinda a sucky week so far. I'm on call tonight so I'll probably get called in at 3am for a non-emergency. It's just that kind of week.

After that, I'm working for a solid month then going on externship for 4 weeks. Should be good.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Khelmar posted:

Diablo III. It was my graduation gift to myself.

Fake edit: Jeez Enelrahc, that sucks about the fourth year. Just keep your head up and be the better person. They'll end up worse off in it anyway. Sad to say, but it does happen - even with people your own year during fourth year. One guy did it almost everyday to *someone* he was working with - I was the brunt of some, I even walked in on a couple times while he was throwing me under the bus. Awkward.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Diablo III. It was my graduation gift to myself.

Fake edit: Jeez Enelrahc, that sucks about the fourth year. Just keep your head up and be the better person. They'll end up worse off in it anyway. Sad to say, but it does happen - even with people your own year during fourth year. One guy did it almost everyday to *someone* he was working with - I was the brunt of some, I even walked in on a couple times while he was throwing me under the bus.

I want to play D3 so badly, but I just don't have time or a machine to play it on.

I'm just trying to let it roll off my back, but it's really hard at times because that's just not really my personality. I've worked really hard to help acclimate the new 4th years (and the summer clinics people) to our part of the vmth and I work really hard in general, and it really sorta hurts to have residents/faculty come ask me why I haven't done things that I wasn't asked to do/weren't my responsibility. I'm the person who is first there and last to go, every day, and I'm always happy to lend a hand to someone who needs some help. All they have to do is ask because I'm not a mind reader. Ah well. I need to get more sleep so I'm less emotional and just get through the next few days without people thinking I'm a tragic case of someone who ate lead paint as a child and managed to get into vet school.

• Locked thread