Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Man, I thought the stories of the Galaxy Nexus's radios being poo poo might have been overblown. They are not.

I put my SIM into a Novatel 4510L Mi-Fi puck today. I get twice as many "bars" in my apartment as I did on my GNex (for whatever that is(n't) worth), over 3x the speed on SpeedTest.net, and an overall dramatically more consistent connection.

If the RAZR and RAZR Maxx are anything like this in terms of radio quality, us Galaxy Nexus owners have really been putting up with some unreasonable bullshit.

I really hope the Droid Fighter has a decent screen and gets hacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

After I bought my Galaxy Nexus, I asked the guy in the store if they knew when they were going to get docks in. He told me "No, and that's honestly our #1 question from people. Every other manufacturer gets their accessories to us in advance of their product so we can sell them side by side. We don't have any idea at if or when we'll get the dock."

$90 is a disgrace for that. The $50 Razr dock at least comes with a power supply and gives you HDMI out and it's been available since day one.

kalibar posted:

If the RAZR and RAZR Maxx are anything like this in terms of radio quality, us Galaxy Nexus owners have really been putting up with some unreasonable bullshit.

They are, and we have. Part of it is firmware, but part of it is just design. Firmware will fix the hand-off issues and hopefully make the connection more consistent, but the firmware won't do anything to make the signal stronger.

I will say though that using bars as a comparison is a misnomer as most devices report the CDMA signal strength even when on LTE while the Galaxy Nexus is using the actual LTE strength to calculate the bars.

The Galaxy Nexus on Verizon should really only be considered a dev device rather than a flagship Google device. It really has too many downsides to be a considered a top level phone. The 4.0.4 update is solid from an OS perspective and the radio firmware helps to smooth over rough transitions better to make it livable. However, the crappy external speaker, subpar signal strength, and crummy voice quality just smacks of a "barely out of prototype" device rather than a properly engineered and tested flagship.

Samsung suckered me back in with the help of Google, but I will not be buying another Samsung phone ever again.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 30, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

To add insult to injury, Google offers the pogo dock for the GSM Galaxy nexus for only $54 (though it still doesn't come with power.)

https://play.google.com/store/devic...GVza19kb2NrIl0.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

kalibar posted:

If it gives you any glimmer of hope, some crazy fuckers managed to get unlocked bootloaders for the Atrix & Photon by hammering Moto's update servers and yanking an engineering build.

Unfortunately, nothing from Motorola on Verizon has been hacked so spectacularly. The closest thing recently was a GSM Unlock for the Razr, Bionic, and D4.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 30, 2012

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

I actually had a really pleasant day today in the city using an O.G. Galaxy S on WiFi, connected to my LTE/Ev-DO puck in my bag. It was the least-infuriating phone experience I've had in awhile. Strong signal everywhere, no bullshit where I lose service indefinitely when the phone hands off to the underground Ev-DO repeaters in the train stations, consistently high LTE speeds above-ground. I think I've been putting up with dogshit Samsung hardware for so long that I legitimately thought this is what LTE was supposed to be (Droid Charge and Galaxy Nexus owner, checking in). I was able to just randomly take my phone out and look stuff up without having to wonder whether or not LTE was loving up. This must be how regular people use smartphones.

I'm half-tempted to just keep using the puck, and getting a GSM phone to pair it with. Sucks to lose access to my Verizon minutes, but unlimited LTE is nice to have. Too bad the cheapest prepaid voice-only plans are still like $30/month. I don't think I'd want to rely on GrooVe IP/Skype over LTE for my voice access.

bull3964 posted:

Samsung suckered me back in with the help of Google, but I will not be buying another Samsung phone ever again.
This is basically how I feel, but it's hard to say never. The bullshit pile is pretty high on Moto's side, too. I was dicking with a RAZR Maxx in the Verizon store yesterday, and that screen is still pretty fugly -- especially after using the GNex for a few weeks. Add that to the locked-bootloader bullshit and the consistently poor DACs and it's a tough pill to swallow.

I think at this point I've given up on an all-in-one device, and I'm shooting for two out of three. Carrying an LTE puck and Samsung smartphone with its own SIM for voice is probably more trouble than just getting a lovely Motorola that at least works properly as a phone and then a standalone mp3 player.

It's 2012, gently caress. :ughh:

kbar fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 31, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's a reason why I just dropped my Razr off at Fedex tonight and am paying Moto $170 to fix the broken screen. I should have it back fixed right as ICS hits for it. I'm looking forward to actually being able to hear navigation directions when I use my phone for GPS again or be able to show a group of people a video and have them actually hear it.

The videos for ICS on the Razr show that it's pretty much untouched outside of some icon changes and I'm hopeful that the Google acquisition will alleviate the future update fears (not like the Galaxy Nexus gets timely updates anyways.)

I honestly don't find the screen on the Razr to be that far off from the Nexus. Actually, my Razr had fewer uniformity problems (before it broke) than my Nexus at low brightness settings.

It's been reported that the 720p screen in use on the HD Razr variants in china is actually non-pentile. If that carries through to the Razr HD / Droid Fighter, it's likely to have the best screen out of any Verizon phone.

Oh, did I mention that photos thought to be taken by the Razr HD have shown in the EXIF data to have an f2.4 aperture? So, it may end up having the best camera on Verizon as well.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Yeah, I dunno. I think it comes down to what you value in a smartphone. Obviously signal is important, and Samsung apparently doesn't know what the gently caress it's doing when it comes to LTE/CDMA combo devices. But otherwise, I really like their stuff. They're the only manufacturer that has bothered to ship Wolfson DACs in their smartphones, and even the TWL6040 DAC they shipped in the GNex is okay enough.

I'm also a big fan of the AOKP ROM for GNex/SGS/NS, but that's obviously a byproduct of Google's backing. A hypothetical future Moto Nexus device could have the same type of stuff.

It's just a big bummer that you have to give up so much from the GNex to get a solid combo radio device. Like, can't you guys just glue a MiFi inside your phone? gently caress.

We'll see what happens with the Fighter. Basically I don't see any scenario where it's a "desirable" product; it's basically going to be "almost as good as the Galaxy Nexus, but hey, the radios work so it's the de facto best choice in spite of a locked bootloader and hey guys Blur isn't that bad this time at least!!"

kbar fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 31, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kalibar posted:

it's basically going to be "almost as good as the Galaxy Nexus, but hey, the radios work so it's the de facto best choice in spite of a locked bootloader and hey guys Blur isn't that bad this time at least!!"

I'm not really sure how you figure that. Honestly, if the Razr MAXX had an HD screen right now it would already be beyond "almost as good as the Galaxy Nexus." If all the leaked specs are true (S4 processor, much improved camera, non-pentile HD screen, the MAXX's 3300mAh battery), there really isn't much the Galaxy Nexus can compete with at that point. It basically becomes only a phone for tinkerers who are into the custom ROM scene. Even then, it's handicapped by being the CDMA/LTE stepchild of the family.

In the end, I've come to realize that Samsung phones aren't for me. I really don't like the physical design of the galaxy nexus too much. The painted plastic body is way too eager to take damage and I thoroughly resent the fact that I had to put a screen protector on the phone because the screen started collecting scratches after only a week of use.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 31, 2012

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Somebody touched on it a few pages ago, but I think basically the assertion that something is "the current Google phone" and the knowledge that it'll be guaranteed clean, Google-provided software updates for its lifespan (Verizon-induced 4.0.4 delays notwithstanding) is worth something.

I think a Nexus device based on the Fighter hardware would be interesting. As it stands now, we're trying to pick the tallest midget.

EDIT: for what it's worth, I think I'm saying that I agree with you for the most part. But in a perfect world, I'd be happier with a Galaxy Nexus that had the RAZR's radio hardware than with a RAZR that had the GNex's screen (which is basically what the Fighter is, perhaps sans PenTile)

kbar fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 31, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, while we would all like to blame Verizon for the delays, the fact remains that IMM76K is less than a month old while IMM30B dates from Feb 2nd. So, it took someone 3 months to fix what was wrong with IMM30B and that's either Samsung or Google.

The big thing about the Fighter is going to be the S4 processor. It's already been shown to give the HTC One X Razr MAXX levels of endurance on LTE on half the battery capacity. That SoC paired with a 3300mAh battery would be a thing of beauty.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 31, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I'm not really sure how you figure that. Honestly, if the Razr MAXX had an HD screen right now it would already be beyond "almost as good as the Galaxy Nexus." If all the leaked specs are true (S4 processor, much improved camera, non-pentile HD screen, the MAXX's 3300mAh battery), there really isn't much the Galaxy Nexus can compete with at that point. It basically becomes only a phone for tinkerers who are into the custom ROM scene. Even then, it's handicapped by being the CDMA/LTE stepchild of the family.

In the end, I've come to realize that Samsung phones aren't for me. I really don't like the physical design of the galaxy nexus too much. The painted plastic body is way too eager to take damage and I thoroughly resent the fact that I had to put a screen protector on the phone because the screen started collecting scratches after only a week of use.

I can't figure out why the GN is such garbage. From what I gather, the Nexus S was a staid and boring but thoroughly useful phone. I've never heard about a bad Nexus S experience.

Having come from using Palm and Motorola and then HTC for years, the Galaxy Nexus feels like cheap cobbled-together poo poo to me. I won't be buying another Samsung phone.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Anyone know if Verizon corporate stores do repairs? I chipped the housing on my GN and I'm looking at replacements online, but I'm afraid of getting counterfeits (is that even a thing for cell phone parts, since they're all made in China anyway?). I read on another forum that you can get it repaired by Verizon, but I'm wondering if they actually just give you a refurbished phone and then charge you out the rear end for it.

Thinking about it, I'm sure they charge you out the rear end either way but it's nice to have a possible option that guarantees an OEM part.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
All this Razr Fighter/HD talk has me really interested. As tired of my Droid X as I am, that's mostly about performance and glitchy software. The Moto hardware is phenomenal, and my 2-year-old DX is in almost mint condition despite never having a case or screen protector. I had an original RAZR flip-phone that lasted forever too, and the Razr Maxx is a really appealing design. Things seems like they should only get better with the Google acquisition too.

At this point the only reason I haven't already upgraded to the GN is the whole phone activation in Alaska thing, and I haven't planned a trip stateside yet where I could activate it. Now I'm kinda hoping that there will be more details on the Fighter before I have that trip.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Hikaki posted:

Anyone know if Verizon corporate stores do repairs? I chipped the housing on my GN and I'm looking at replacements online, but I'm afraid of getting counterfeits (is that even a thing for cell phone parts, since they're all made in China anyway?). I read on another forum that you can get it repaired by Verizon, but I'm wondering if they actually just give you a refurbished phone and then charge you out the rear end for it.

Thinking about it, I'm sure they charge you out the rear end either way but it's nice to have a possible option that guarantees an OEM part.
No repairs. If you have a warranty issue it is replaced by warranty stock that is largely refurbished units (and they're shipped form a central warehouse so you might as well call tech support rather than visit a store.) No cost for warranty replacement.

Physical damage is not covered by warranty. If you opted into insurance when you bought it you can get an insurance replacement from Asurion for a deductible of $99 for smartphones. The insurance replacement is also probably refurbished stock and also comes from Asurion directly so no need to visit the store.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

bull3964 posted:

Well, while we would all like to blame Verizon for the delays, the fact remains that IMM76K is less than a month old while IMM30B dates from Feb 2nd. So, it took someone 3 months to fix what was wrong with IMM30B and that's either Samsung or Google.

The big thing about the Fighter is going to be the S4 processor. It's already been shown to give the HTC One X Razr MAXX levels of endurance on LTE on half the battery capacity. That SoC paired with a 3300mAh battery would be a thing of beauty.

Just got 4.0.4 this morning from Verizon on my Nexus so I guess everyone should be seeing it soon. So far I haven't noticed any major difference good or bad, so we'll see if it was worth the wait.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
If i grab the 4.0.4 update will i lose my unlock/root? Can i just redo it again after the update?

edit: Doesn't look like the update took, still on 4.0.2. I was putting it off for no good reason but now I'll get around to grabbing a ROM and just use it.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 2, 2012

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Lothire posted:

If i grab the 4.0.4 update will i lose my unlock/root? Can i just redo it again after the updare?

Unlock no, root probably, and if so it'll be easy to reflash root.

Or you could poke around XDA or RootzWiki for a pre-rooted image that you could just flash.

Thrillhou
Dec 28, 2006

Lothire posted:

If i grab the 4.0.4 update will i lose my unlock/root? Can i just redo it again after the update?

edit: Doesn't look like the update took, still on 4.0.2. I was putting it off for no good reason but now I'll get around to grabbing a ROM and just use it.

I kept getting a failed install until I flashed the stock recovery image, you can stay unlocked though. It is probably better to just flash the update though, since the next one will probably be delayed for a few months like this one.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

BigBoss posted:

Just got 4.0.4 this morning from Verizon on my Nexus so I guess everyone should be seeing it soon. So far I haven't noticed any major difference good or bad, so we'll see if it was worth the wait.

If it's not popping up for everyone, you can force it to install by clearing your Google Services Framework data under settings->Apps and then manually checking for update.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

maduin posted:

If it's not popping up for everyone, you can force it to install by clearing your Google Services Framework data under settings->Apps and then manually checking for update.

I tried this, but for some reason it didn't work. Oh well, what's another few days after six months, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

maduin posted:

Thanks, just got this to work.

Thrillhou
Dec 28, 2006

Meldonox posted:

I tried this, but for some reason it didn't work. Oh well, what's another few days after six months, right?

Try force closing/clearing data then rebooting immediately. Try to update as soon as you are back on. That should do it if you are stock.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Holding out with my Droid X and it's dead screen spots for the Razr HD. Any inside leaks on a release date ? My phone is literally dying to know.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Lothire posted:

I see you're just grabbing a rom, but for everyone else waiting for the GNex OTA, download OTA RootKeeper to keep your root.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I am also on a Droid X waiting for the Razr HD. My Droid X has some kind of hardware issue which causes it to lock up sometimes until I pull the battery. :smith:

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Mine does the same thing. My girlfriend has an iPhone and she keeps taunting me that hers works. :suicide:She has Sprint though, so I'll always have that on her at least...

So as far as this $30 upgrade charge goes, I'm past due for an upgrade by a couple months (2 yr contract was up). Where does that leave me? Am I still looking at the price of the phone plus that $30 fee?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

MauveTrousers posted:

Try force closing/clearing data then rebooting immediately. Try to update as soon as you are back on. That should do it if you are stock.

That sure worked. Thanks pal!

When folks say to have 80% or more battery charge when running one of these updates, does that mean as a safeguard on top of having it plugged in, or is that if you're installing it with nothing but battery power?

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012

Meldonox posted:

That sure worked. Thanks pal!

When folks say to have 80% or more battery charge when running one of these updates, does that mean as a safeguard on top of having it plugged in, or is that if you're installing it with nothing but battery power?

I've had the update process wipe out at least half my battery on more than one occasion. Basically, its something like this: "don't power down your device during the update process, but make sue you have enough battery so that your device doesn't die half way through the update."

For being plugged in, I've had a device that was able to drain the battery faster than the USB cable could charge the battery. Granted, it was a Thunderblolt running a constant LTE upload and download tests in addition to being on a call with the speakers up, but having at least 80% is a safeguard when plugged in as well.

Meat Mitts fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 3, 2012

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I updated my GNex on battery in under 10 minutes. You'll be fine.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

TSBX posted:

Holding out with my Droid X and it's dead screen spots for the Razr HD. Any inside leaks on a release date ? My phone is literally dying to know.

Came to ask about this same drat thing. I didn't know it was a widespread issue. One was manageable but theyre multiplying.

Is the Razr HD the next "Best" phone for Verizon? Or maybe the S3 or something else? Whatever has better battery life and durability is good for me. Probable CM support is a plus but maybe with ICS+ now its less of an issue.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

The Milkman posted:

Is the Razr HD the next "Best" phone for Verizon? Or maybe the S3 or something else?

i'm going to bet that they release data plan changes before they release phones like razr hd. I'd keep your ear to the ground and pay attention because locking in unlimited 4g data by utilizing an upgrade on the razr maxx or nexus is worth it.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

mrchina posted:

i'm going to bet that they release data plan changes before they release phones like razr hd. I'd keep your ear to the ground and pay attention because locking in unlimited 4g data by utilizing an upgrade on the razr maxx or nexus is worth it.

On a somewhat related note, I've been digging 4.0.4 on my GNex today. Your mileage may vary, but my battery life with moderate use is suddenly comparable to what it was kept on wifi with the screen off all day. It may yet wind up being a disappointment, the Maxx may be better for all I know, but all in all the GNex is a better recommendation now than it was with 4.0.2.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

mrchina posted:

Meh I don't use that much data, i don't think I've ever gone over a gig. I care more about getting the best possible handset for the two years than I do about being able to torrent blurays on the go or whatever. That's what wifi is for.

Plus this'll likely be my last phone on this contract anyway so it won't matter into the far future anyway.

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 4, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
If you really value battery life above all else, the Razr MAXX is simply the only way to go.

It also helps that it's a drat good phone also.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

If you really value battery life above all else, the Razr MAXX is simply the only way to go.

It also helps that it's a drat good phone also.

It also has excellent radios, meaning much better reception than a GNex

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004
Galaxy S III announced to drop at the end of the month. Hopefully data plans don't change till after its released.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

mrchina posted:

Galaxy S III announced to drop at the end of the month. Hopefully data plans don't change till after its released.

199/299 for the 16/32gb respectively.

Preorders begin 6/6: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/04/verizon-announces-their-samsung-galaxy-siii-for-199-and-249-pre-order-on-june-6/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

mrchina posted:

Preorders go up on Wednesday 7AM eastern time.

http://shop.verizonwireless.com/?id=galaxys3

As part of their damage control statement about unlimited data, they said they'd be giving advance warning about data plan changes so it sounds like you're going to be all right for the time being.

quote:

We will share specific details of the plans and any related policy changes well in advance of their introduction, so customers will have time to evaluate their choices and make the best decisions for their wireless service

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

mrchina posted:

The shared plans arent on tap until september-ish...

Before a certian new handset is released, but its not an android one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Ugh. They need to hurry up with the Incredible 4G release. I'm due for an upgrade, but the Razr Maxx is tempting too. I just want the better possibility of a rootable/flashable phone, so I'd rather not go Motorola.

• Locked thread